Best Buy GCU is being Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForgedInFire

CAGiversary!
According to someone claiming to be a BB employee GCU is no longer being sold, so once your subscription runs out it's over.

ALo1ZfQ.jpg

Big if true.  I will see no reason to buy games from them going forward.  Good thing I have a membership until 2020.

Also I hate their new branding, looks super generic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its no longer available online... :(
Can confirm when you click to renew online it says:

"We’re sorry, something went wrong.
You can use our search bar or pick a category below. If you typed in a URL, check it for errors."

I guess taking it away over black Friday was just the beginning of the end. Sad sad news here.

Seems legit.

I don't really care much for buying physical games these days but why discontinue something that's been working so well?

According to someone claiming to be a BB employee GCU is no longer being sold, so once your subscription runs out it's over.

ALo1ZfQ.jpg
At least there’s still Prime discounts.
Now only if Amazon would start carrying first party Sony titles.

Glad I preordered Detroit a few days ago with my GCU discount.

Great. I was going to get GCU this week after letting it lapse last year. So much for that.

That leaves Amazon for any discount? And they are raising their yearly sub price?  fuck that noise.

I bet they'll refund people's gcu rather than let them use it beyond 2018 until it expires.

At least there’s still Prime discounts.
Now only if Amazon would start carrying first party Sony titles.

Glad I preordered Detroit a few days ago with my GCU discount.
I can guarantee that Amazon will phase out the Prime discount now that the very reason they started it is gone.

They should at least come up with an alternative otherwise I don't see how people will buy games from BestBuy. In reality they were probably losing to much money.

It was good while it lasted.

I remember the days of buying/trading in games over and over and getting a metric fuckton of credit. Once they killed that gravy train, I knew the programs time was limited.

RIP GCU. Forever in our hearts.

Sounds like the registers won't allow it to be sold in stores as of today either.
the letter says employees to stop offering it and it will stop prompting for it, it doesn't say the purchase will be blocked today.. maybe tomorrow though

Can anyone actually confirm if it still works in store or not?
Someone confirmed earlier in the thread it's no longer working in stores. I just texted my old co-workers there too to get some further info if possible.

Incredibly stupid move by BB. If they don't replace it with a new program they're about to lose a shit ton of customers

i never really understood how they were making money on it anyway. 20% off is probably a good amount of their profit. They were probably trying to make it up in volume and as a loss leader to accessories and getting people in the store but their numbers probably showed it didn't give enough benefit.

We all know this day would come. I'm surprised GCU lasted this long. Lamestop must feel pretty good now and Amazon can finally cancel their shittier version of game discount.

Someone confirmed earlier in the thread it's no longer working in stores. I just texted my old co-workers there too to get some further info if possible.

Incredibly stupid move by BB. If they don't replace it with a new program they're about to lose a shit ton of customers
if they were losing money it's not a stupid move. I'm sure they will lose a ton of customers, but if they were barely making money from those customers I doubt they care.

Wow glad I renewed a month ago. Like other posters have said, expect Amazon to drop theirs soon. If your GCU ran out, no reason to not lock in Amazon preorders since they don't charge until ship.

Dang it, mine runs out at the start of November... just before Black Friday...

Before anyone says "They don't let you use it on black friday"... I have always gotten it to work on black friday if you login right at 10pm (pst) the night of black friday you can still buy all the deals before any prices change.

Well, if everywhere is the same prices, I will probably buy more stuff digital, no reason to leave my house for video games anymore. This was one of the last reasons I went into Best Buys, to pick-up games and buy other stuff while in there.

i never really understood how they were making money on it anyway. 20% off is probably a good amount of their profit. They were probably trying to make it up in volume and as a loss leader to accessories and getting people in the store but their numbers probably showed it didn't give enough benefit.
This. I mean we got close to $13 off on a $60 game, that couldn't have been great for business on it's own. I'm honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did (tho still disappointed to see it go)

It was really the only thing that got me to go into a Best Buy store - Preorder a game with 20% off, store pickup, grab and go. Once I had a decent amount of rewards I'd actually shop around when I was there to pick up my game, but there's no way I spent enough on other items to cover the amount I had saved buying games with the discount.

Well this sucks.. mine expires this November, so hopefully I’ll be able get the rest of the games I wanted rest of the year..

I’m sure Amazon will drop this feature as well soon. Already pretty limited.

Best Buy will be gone in a few years anyway

is there a good site to see a list of all the upcoming games so I can see what I want to preorder from amazon/bestbuy before the discount is gone?

Wrong. The program was more than likely leading to losses given the super slim margins retailers make on game sales already.

With physical sales numbers so low, it makes no business sense to offer this anymore. Fact is physical games are going to become a premium luxury and the exception rather than the norm.

Just because it sounds like a bad idea doesn't mean it's a bad business move.

The best buys near me have remodeled their floors and now only have a fraction of the space dedicated to games and movies. Same goes for the Target's near me.

Mine expires like the last week of 2020, so I'm good for 2 and a half years. Wish I could have renewed for longer, but I didn't originally because I didn't even know if Best Buy would be around after that.

Well this sucks. Just renewed last month but think they will just refund anyone that has time left instead of trying to deal with it individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back