Best Buy GCU is being Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, yeah. Actually there are a lot of people here who have worked at Best Buy at one point or another.

I started there in '99 and worked there for a few years. They are still using the same OS on the registers that they installed around '00 and not much else has changed since then either. When I worked there we had meetings before opening and after closing every single day to go over revenues and margin %s for each and every department. This stuff has been going on for decades boyo.
Actually, that's is not the case. All of our POS (Point of Sales) registers are currently running Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

Regarding the cars, you ain't kidding. My 2012 Civic was approaching its endgame recently, so I started looking at 2018's, and I honestly couldn't believe that the CD player has gone by the wayside. I have bags and bags of CD's and I have no interest in sitting in front of a computer for a month converting it all to usable media.

A lot of it is video game soundtracks which aren't available on the streaming services. I ended up switching brands and getting a 2018 Kia, which still had the CD player. Yes, the CD player was the dealbreaker/clincher. I know that by the time this happens again in 2024 I'll likely be completely out of luck.

I'm only 32 and have no interest in streaming music so I have to believe theres tons of 40+ and baby boomers that have no interest as well. I really couldn't believe cars are ditching them, but what do I know.
What in the world did you do to a Civic that you had it "approaching it's endgame"? Those things will easily run 10-12 years with basically no issues, asking only for minor stuff like oil changes and tire replacement. A bit more than 6 years on a Civic is basically through the tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
After those blue shirt wearing rat bastards reduced me to "regular" status, after purchasing enough to be "Elite" last year, this just seals the deal. Once it's up, F & U: ShitBuy.
GCU was the ONLY reason I stayed in this abusive relationship. The last couple of years have been crap. Hence, why I took at least half of my business elsewhere. Whether those of us, who take our business elsewhere, ends up hurting BB, I don't care. All I see is a company who doesn't want my sales. Otherwise, they wouldn't have done this bitch move of stealthily killing this program. This was done akin to someone breaking up via text or email.

To each their own, but I am 37 yrs old and only stream music at this point (carplay and sonos)... I just trashed my cds and only hold onto my thousands of mp3s for posterity. Besides retro games, we are slowly becoming a digital only house...we hate when the kids get a dvd that requires putting discs in a player lol
I'm 42 and I stream in the cars more than use CDs even though my car still has a CD player. Truth be told, "Prince - The Hits 1" has been in the CD player for at least the last five months without change. Mostly though, I listen to the music downloaded on my phone via Bluetooth. That includes video game soundtracks - mostly Persona 3, 4, 5.

What in the world did you do to a Civic that you had it "approaching it's endgame"? Those things will easily run 10-12 years with basically no issues, asking only for minor stuff like oil changes and tire replacement. A bit more than 6 years on a Civic is basically through the tutorial.
Lol fair point. It was still running fine, but I had nearly 200k miles on it. I drive a ton obviously. I had only done the routine oil changes/tires, and the muffler once at about 150k, but the transmission was going on it so I figured it was time to start fresh. And I wasnt ready to ditch my cd's yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol fair point. It was still running fine, but I had nearly 200k miles on it. I drive a ton obviously. I had only done the routine oil changes/tires, and the muffler once at about 150k, but the transmission was going on it so I figured it was time to start fresh. And I wasnt ready to ditch my cd's yet!
I'm honestly surprised the transmission was going on it. My dad has around 450k miles on his Civic (I want to say it's an 02?) and mine has around 180k. Neither has really had anything done beyond routine maintenance.

You must have put that car through it's paces pretty well!

Regarding the cars, you ain't kidding. My 2012 Civic was approaching its endgame recently, so I started looking at 2018's, and I honestly couldn't believe that the CD player has gone by the wayside. I have bags and bags of CD's and I have no interest in sitting in front of a computer for a month converting it all to usable media.

A lot of it is video game soundtracks which aren't available on the streaming services. I ended up switching brands and getting a 2018 Kia, which still had the CD player. Yes, the CD player was the dealbreaker/clincher. I know that by the time this happens again in 2024 I'll likely be completely out of luck.

I'm only 32 and have no interest in streaming music so I have to believe theres tons of 40+ and baby boomers that have no interest as well. I really couldn't believe cars are ditching them, but what do I know.
I have a 2016 Honda Civic and it's all Bluetooth and streaming for me. My Dad is going to be in the market for a new car soon and I can imagine a CD player is going to be something he wants too. A friend of mine recently got a 2017 Toyota Carolla and it does indeed have a CD player, so there are definitely cars out there that have them, but like you said many do not.

I used to love buying physical music CDs myself, but I always hated storing the discs and changing CDs. As far as video games go I am all about the physical stuff and only really get digital games when I don't have an option for physical (Just bought Battle Chief Brigade last night!)

Sadly we are on our way towards a future that will be mostly if not all digital in terms of entertainment. My only concern with this future is data caps being a thing and how it will affect us as consumers in terms of purchasing our content. Luckily I don't believe we need to worry about this, at least with movies and video games, for quite some time.

I have a 2016 Honda Civic and it's all Bluetooth and streaming for me. My Dad is going to be in the market for a new car soon and I can imagine a CD player is going to be something he wants too. A friend of mine recently got a 2017 Toyota Carolla and it does indeed have a CD player, so there are definitely cars out there that have them, but like you said many do not.

I used to love buying physical music CDs myself, but I always hated storing the discs and changing CDs. As far as video games go I am all about the physical stuff and only really get digital games when I don't have an option for physical (Just bought Battle Chief Brigade last night!)

Sadly we are on our way towards a future that will be mostly if not all digital in terms of entertainment. My only concern with this future is data caps being a thing and how it will affect us as consumers in terms of purchasing our content. Luckily I don't believe we need to worry about this, at least with movies and video games, for quite some time.
I think eventually data caps will be a thing of the past too...if big corporations start losing significant sales b/c of caps then they will come to an agreement with the ISPs. For now, it apparently isn’t enough of a loss to bother working something out. With that said, ISPs are notoriously slow and difficult when presented with change imo (I’m an IT Director for a law firm and get to deal with inconvenient nonsense from them for datacenter circuits, fiber connectivity, VoIP and most recently rate charges for E911 office services that aren’t provided :/)

Weirdly, I'm somehow in both camps. I'm cursed with a collector's mentality, so I still buy CDs whenever possible. I do play them in my car (which has AUX but is limited to just hands-free calling for Bluetooth), although I'm more likely to listen to satellite radio with some occasional streaming. Mostly what I do with new CDs is rip 'em in iTunes and stream them to my phone via iTunes Match (listening to music at work, mowing the lawn, exercising, etc.).

If I got a new car and it only had Bluetooth, I'd be okay with that. If I got a new car that supported both, I'm sure I'd stream a good bit. But I would still try to get a CD player if it were an option and not outrageously expensive.

I've never had loyalty to CDs. I always hated paying a ton of money for a few tracks and as soon as the pirate age came along, I've been MP3 and now streaming ever since. Hell, even when it was tape cassettes I would try to catch music on the radio and slam that Play/Record combo down hard.

Just a 20/20 hindsight but you could've just added a $20 cd player and had the super reliable Honda over the in dash cd player and a Kia. Good luck with that choice.

Just a 20/20 hindsight but you could've just added a $20 cd player and had the super reliable Honda over the in dash cd player and a Kia. Good luck with that choice.
I mean, Kia has come a long way in the past decade. I'd still go for the Honda, personally (my family has driven them for years, but I didn't get on that train til my Cobalt died in December), but that doesn't inherently make the Kia a bad choice.

I've never had loyalty to CDs. I always hated paying a ton of money for a few tracks and as soon as the pirate age came along, I've been MP3 and now streaming ever since. Hell, even when it was tape cassettes I would try to catch music on the radio and slam that Play/Record combo down hard.
I bought a lot of music to support the artists for years. I enjoy a lot of smaller indie and metal bands so it always felt good owning their music and not pirating it. I won't lie though I have definitely pirated a lot of music over the years. I remember the days before Napster and everything, going into IRC chat rooms to obtain music and other media.

I mean, Kia has come a long way in the past decade. I'd still go for the Honda, personally (my family has driven them for years, but I didn't get on that train til my Cobalt died in December), but that doesn't inherently make the Kia a bad choice.
Kia makes a fine car nowadays. My mom drives a Kia and has never had issues with it. I personally prefer Honda myself, but Kia is far from aa bad choice.

After those blue shirt wearing rat bastards reduced me to "regular" status, after purchasing enough to be "Elite" last year, this just seals the deal. Once it's up, F & U: ShitBuy.
GCU was the ONLY reason I stayed in this abusive relationship. The last couple of years have been crap. Hence, why I took at least half of my business elsewhere. Whether those of us, who take our business elsewhere, ends up hurting BB, I don't care. All I see is a company who doesn't want my sales. Otherwise, they wouldn't have done this bitch move of stealthily killing this program. This was done akin to someone breaking up via text or email.
Abusive relationship, this is hilarious - I hope you get to a shelter quick for retail abuse.

How is this thread still alive? And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back