* * - - - 6 votes

Best Buy GCU is being Discontinued?

#31 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3835 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

Incredibly stupid move by BB. If they don't replace it with a new program they're about to lose a shit ton of customers

You can't even use Best Buy gift cards to buy other cards like PS/XB credit. Legitimately no reason to shop there for games anymore. 

#32 psihog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   296 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

We all know this day would come. I'm surprised GCU lasted this long. Lamestop must feel pretty good now and Amazon can finally cancel their shittier version of game discount.

#33 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3010 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:43 PM

Someone confirmed earlier in the thread it's no longer working in stores. I just texted my old co-workers there too to get some further info if possible.

Incredibly stupid move by BB. If they don't replace it with a new program they're about to lose a shit ton of customers

if they were losing money it's not a stupid move. I'm sure they will lose a ton of customers, but if they were barely making money from those customers I doubt they care.

#34 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1153 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Wow glad I renewed a month ago. Like other posters have said, expect Amazon to drop theirs soon. If your GCU ran out, no reason to not lock in Amazon preorders since they don't charge until ship.

#35 Killerlampshade   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   155 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Killerlampshade

I just heard it from a buddy of mine that works there. This is terrible.

#36 ShadowAssassin   #TTP CAGiversary!   4360 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

ShadowAssassin

Lame. Will not be buying from BB as much anymore now.

#37 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   3606 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:45 PM

Dang it, mine runs out at the start of November... just before Black Friday...

Before anyone says "They don't let you use it on black friday"... I have always gotten it to work on black friday if you login right at 10pm (pst) the night of black friday you can still buy all the deals before any prices change.

Well, if everywhere is the same prices, I will probably buy more stuff digital, no reason to leave my house for video games anymore. This was one of the last reasons I went into Best Buys, to pick-up games and buy other stuff while in there.

#38 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1127 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:45 PM

PREORDER EVERYTHING

#39 lionheart059   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   525 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

lionheart059

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:46 PM

i never really understood how they were making money on it anyway. 20% off is probably a good amount of their profit. They were probably trying to make it up in volume and as a loss leader to accessories and getting people in the store but their numbers probably showed it didn't give enough benefit.

This.  I mean we got close to $13 off on a $60 game, that couldn't have been great for business on it's own.  I'm honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did (tho still disappointed to see it go)

It was really the only thing that got me to go into a Best Buy store - Preorder a game with 20% off, store pickup, grab and go.  Once I had a decent amount of rewards I'd actually shop around when I was there to pick up my game, but there's no way I spent enough on other items to cover the amount I had saved buying games with the discount.

#40 nseibel9  

nseibel9

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:47 PM

Well this sucks.. mine expires this November, so hopefully I’ll be able get the rest of the games I wanted rest of the year..

#41 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3395 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

Mine is nov of 2019... should have bough more phone back then

#42 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12404 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:52 PM

I’m sure Amazon will drop this feature as well soon. Already pretty limited.

Best Buy will be gone in a few years anyway

#43 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3010 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

is there a good site to see a list of all the upcoming games so I can see what I want to preorder from amazon/bestbuy before the discount is gone?

#44 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2582 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:55 PM

Someone confirmed earlier in the thread it's no longer working in stores. I just texted my old co-workers there too to get some further info if possible.

Wrong. The program was more than likely leading to losses given the super slim margins retailers make on game sales already.

With physical sales numbers so low, it makes no business sense to offer this anymore. Fact is physical games are going to become a premium luxury and the exception rather than the norm.

Just because it sounds like a bad idea doesn't mean it's a bad business move.

The best buys near me have remodeled their floors and now only have a fraction of the space dedicated to games and movies. Same goes for the Target's near me.

#45 ShadowAssassin   #TTP CAGiversary!   4360 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

ShadowAssassin

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:55 PM

Mine expires like the last week of 2020, so I'm good for 2 and a half years. Wish I could have renewed for longer, but I didn't originally because I didn't even know if Best Buy would be around after that.

#46 Chuck Stank   Colts/Hawkeyes Fan CAGiversary!   1045 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Chuck Stank

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:56 PM

And here I was wanting to move all my Gamestop credit to Best Buy. Don’t have to worry about that anymore.

#47 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   3606 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:57 PM

Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Call of Duty Black Ops 4, and Super Smash Bros. all have the $10 rewards credit if you preorder.

https://www.bestbuy....cat308100050002

#48 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2782 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

*makes .txt file of all the "GLAD I'M RENEWED THROUGH 2038" people for when Best Buy removes their GCU next year*

#49 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Well this sucks. Just renewed last month but think they will just refund anyone that has time left instead of trying to deal with it individually.

#50 vanlandw   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1793 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

vanlandw

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

Does anybody know if I went into a Best Buy location tonight would I be able to extend my GCU membership?

#51 Crusher09   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   225 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Crusher09

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

i never really understood how they were making money on it anyway. 20% off is probably a good amount of their profit. They were probably trying to make it up in volume and as a loss leader to accessories and getting people in the store but their numbers probably showed it didn't give enough benefit.

I never had GCU, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they also give you $10 certificates when pre-ordering certain games? I would wonder how they could manage to offer 20% off sale prices, when they consistently had the best deals.

People are being a bit entitled here. When you consider Best Buy matches or beats other retailer's prices most of the time even before considering GCU, it's ridiculous to say you'd never shop there again. Amazon can't even keep games in stock. Walmart never has any good deals. Gamestop is good for used game deals, but their new discounts tend to suck.

#52 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5207 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:59 PM

So, weirdest thing. I went to Best Buy today at around 2pm. Picked up State of Decay 2 Ultimate Edition for $40 with my GCU. I opened up the app now and it doesnt show my gamers club unlocked price anywhere. They cut it that quick?

#53 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3835 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:59 PM

Mine expires like the last week of 2020, so I'm good for 2 and a half years. Wish I could have renewed for longer, but I didn't originally because I didn't even know if Best Buy would be around after that.

Chances are your sub is going to outlive physical games. 

Does anybody know if I went into a Best Buy location tonight would I be able to extend my GCU membership?

It's deleted from the system, so no. 

#54 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11532 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

Amazon is gonna be really fucking happy if this happens.

So will Gamestop.

#55 WickedCyclone  

WickedCyclone

Not happy about this at all. My membership is good until Christmas this year but I wish I could have thrown another $30 at them but I have a feeling they are going to kill all memberships at the end of the year. I was just there last night too, could have renewed. RIP.

#56 SacCityGamer   By Sacramento Gamers, for ALL Gamers CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

SacCityGamer

Welp, I won't be buying anything from Best Buy anymore, just like before GCU. Not even non-video game stuff. Screw them. This sucks. I've spent upwards of $2500 there in the last two years with GCU mostly on video games but I've given them business for computers, TVs, and other stuff too because I appreciated them so much for doing GCU. They can die a slow death now for all I'm concerned. 

#57 vanlandw   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1793 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

vanlandw

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:01 PM

Sigh, OK thanks for the response. Won't bother trying tonight :-(

Chances are your sub is going to outlive physical games. 

It's deleted from the system, so no. 

#58 Bivensra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

I received an email a couple weeks ago informing me that my membership expires on 5/26/18. Picked up BP and Rick and Morty on Tuesday and forgot to renew. Crap

#59 NeoMonk  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

Amazon is gonna be really fucking happy if this happens.

So will Gamestop.

Amazon will follow suit, don't you worry about that. The only reason why they even did it was to compete, now they don't have to. 

#60 joshnickerson   Evil Super Genius CAGiversary!   87 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

joshnickerson

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

So, weirdest thing. I went to Best Buy today at around 2pm. Picked up State of Decay 2 Ultimate Edition for $40 with my GCU. I opened up the app now and it doesnt show my gamers club unlocked price anywhere. They cut it that quick?

Just tried the website proper, discount still shows up for me.