* * - - - 6 votes

Best Buy GCU is being Discontinued?

#241 darken   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   842 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:50 AM

I'm surprised that it wasn't mentioned, until Uncle Anwar, but now that GCU will be gone, we might start having some amazing Black Friday deals again.

Past two years GCU didn't work with Black Friday and early Black Friday.

#242 phoenixlau   backlogged CAGiversary!   422 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:54 AM

Noooo!  GCU kept me a reliable Best Buy customer, because the large amount of games that I would buy each year due to GCU put me well on the way to Elite, which further incentivized me to keep Best Buy as first choice for any other items in order to hit Elite for free shipping on more games.  Computers, KS8000, washing machine, etc.  It became almost funny how every year I was able to rationalize other purchases to keep the video game train rolling.

Without GCU, my video game spending at Best Buy will become much less predictable, hit or miss depending on sales.  This will have a knock-on effect for my additional spending, since it might put Elite out of easy reach, in turn making it less likely I will buy other things (if I'm not going to hit Elite, what's the point?).  Furthermore, the free shipping benefit of Elite itself becomes devalued to me because I can no longer say with any certainty that I will need it regularly to buy future games anyway.

Odesza - A Moment Apart - MP3 album - $1

:pc: Shadow Warrior 2 - $5 ///  :pc: Shadow Warrior 1 - $1

:pc: Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition - $1 /// Stories: Path of Destinies - $1

:pc: Jotun - $1 /// Nuclear Throne - $1 /// Rogue Legacy $1 /// Thomas Was Alone - $1

:pc: Chariot - $1 /// Awesomenauts - $1 /// Punch Club - $1

...........Check my sell list! https://www.cheapass.../#entry12310450

#243 ElektroDragon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

ElektroDragon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:55 AM

This is stupidest business move I've ever seen in my life.  I'm terribly afraid they will completely go out of business now.  :(  I was hoping to NOT renew Prime at its new ridiculous price and just keep using GCU.  Now it looks like my GCU membership expired 5 days ago and I can't renew it anymore! Come on BestBuy!  Charge MORE for the program and I will gladly pay, don't flat out cancel it when the economy is booming and your stock is at an all time high!  What an idiot move.  My Prime doesn't expire for another year, but now with GCU canceled, there's no competition so the Prime 20% is going to go away imminently as well. Mark my words.

This will hurt BBY even more than they anticipate as it will accelerate digital downloads.

#244 MarcusKane   Sweet Tooth CAGiversary!   525 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:57 AM

Amazon only started theirs because of best buy. Amazon will likely get rid of their 20 Percent off as well.

#245 Uncle Anwar   Lemurian Cult Leader CAGiversary!   537 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Uncle Anwar

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:59 AM

This is stupidest business move I've ever seen in my life. I'm terribly afraid they will completely go out of business now. :( I was hoping to NOT renew Prime at its new ridiculous price and just keep using GCU. Now it looks like my GCU membership expired 5 days ago and I can't renew it anymore! Come on BestBuy! Charge MORE for the program and I will gladly pay, don't flat out cancel it when the economy is booming and your stock is at an all time high! What an idiot move. My Prime doesn't expire for another year, but now with GCU canceled, there's no competition so the Prime 20% is going to go away imminently as well. Mark my words.
This will hurt BBY even more than they anticipate as it will accelerate digital downloads.

I don’t think losing an obligation to sell games at a loss is really going to affect them overall. Who knows, they might start having better weekly sales or daily deals now.

#246 ElektroDragon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

ElektroDragon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

This move by BBY is literally going to keep Gamestop in business for many years to come.  Bravo BBY?

#247 Jello1996   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Jello1996

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:02 AM

I got a lot of great deals there over the years with that membership.  It's sad to see it go but at this point, it's no biggie for me.  I went mostly digital about a year ago.  The only games I buy physical now is the occasional first party Nintendo game. 

#248 ElektroDragon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

ElektroDragon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:04 AM

I guess I can't be too upset.  More and more I was starting to go digital only for the covenience and less clutter.  This will really force my hand down the all digital path once my Prime expires or they cancel their discount.  Because no way will I pay $120.  I am actually more worried about BestBuy's future as a brick and mortar now.  GCU or not, I don't want to see them close!

Some really stupid executive thought:  HEY, we are selling TONS of games, our stock is booming, our foot traffic is high! We don't need this money losing program anymore.

Except the program was the reason for all of the above. D'oh!

#249 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   103 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:04 AM

Noooo!  GCU kept me a reliable Best Buy customer, because the large amount of games that I would buy each year due to GCU put me well on the way to Elite, which further incentivized me to keep Best Buy as first choice for any other items in order to hit Elite for free shipping on more games.  Computers, KS8000, washing machine, etc.  It became almost funny how every year I was able to rationalize other purchases to keep the video game train rolling.

Without GCU, my video game spending at Best Buy will become much less predictable, hit or miss depending on sales.  This will have a knock-on effect for my additional spending, since it might put Elite out of easy reach, in turn making it less likely I will buy other things (if I'm not going to hit Elite, what's the point?).  Furthermore, the free shipping benefit of Elite itself becomes devalued to me because I can no longer say with any certainty that I will need it regularly to buy future games anyway.

Haha. This pretty much sums up my logic and buying habits from Best Buy as well. I have to think we aren't the only ones. Best Buy has been doing pretty well financially since really pushing GCU. Amazingly stupid of them to cut out a program that was leading to a lot of non-gaming purchases. This decision is going to bite them in the butt unless they have plans to implement a similar program that replaces GCU.

#250 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   2994 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:05 AM

I wouldn't mind buying digital as much if there were better deals (I'm looking at you Nintendo), but then there's still those ridiculous bandwidth caps. I do not want to pay $50/mo extra for unlimited. They really need to raise (or remove) the cap when there are quite a few AAA games that are 90-150GB and 4k streaming. It gets very annoying having to carefully monitor usage and predict other people's.

#251 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7700 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:06 AM

I saw this just now...

https://www.redflagd...yalty-programs/

I know this was in Canada, but why didn't it raise any concern here in the US?

Shame. Had a good run with GCU.

So that was in Canada but is it going to be true here too? Meaning we’re also losing the Reward Zone program? If that’s true then BB can really Fuck off. I get more RZ from using my BB Visa. If that’s gone, absolutely no reason at all to shop there again.

#252 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6139 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:07 AM

This is stupidest business move I've ever seen in my life.

Best Buy already made the worst move award when they canceled the @gamer magazine, monthly coupon deals, and raised the price to the insane 2-year commitment of $120 with the secret: (psssst!!!...already a member? here's a special offer for the "real" price of $30 instead of the new loser price)...it was hilariously stupid.

They've been in an on-off high school relationship with their GCU program for a decade.

1050581.png

#253 ElektroDragon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

ElektroDragon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:08 AM

Depending on the ISP, there is no bandwith (data really) cap.  And I'm paying Comcast $50 extra per month to be capless.  Soon I'm moving to a capless gigabit fiber area.  YAY!

#254 Petey Parker   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   722 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Petey Parker

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:08 AM

I saw this just now...

https://www.redflagd...yalty-programs/

I know this was in Canada, but why didn't it raise any concern here in the US?

Shame.  Had a good run with GCU. 

Hopefully the reward zone thing just stays in Canada too. It's bad enough that we're losing GCU. If we lose the Reward Zone certificates too then my shopping at Best Buy will be almost non-existent outside of the occasional steelbook exclusive (and I won't even bother using my Best Buy Credit Card anymore)

SpiderAsh.png

#255 deftoast   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   172 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:12 AM

Just a reminder in case gcu disappears totally - Smash Bros. Switch has a $10 pre order rewards cert (on top of gcu)

- On the digital note:

DSi (on DS), and PSP eShops have shut down..and Wii eshop is no longer open for new point additions..(it's closing soon)

Hoarders soapbox:

There should be a law 'guaranteeing' console digital purchase re-downloads for 3 decades... digital collections are great until the day your HD dies after the store servers have been shut down. I can still play my childhood games but how long can I play my current titles? All they have to do is leave a few computers alive to serve the downloads once the masses move onto the later gens... or at least make tools that allow people to easily backup their collections for restore in case of HD failure after the relevant eshop is long gone... (they would need to keep the account id's alive, but that's easy)

#256 WWF   Games Jandolfini & Bobby Balaklava CAGiversary!   818 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:13 AM

Pulling without notice was a dick move. If deals are good again, people able to get them plus a secret 20% off are in for a lucky ride.

Buying day one games for $48+ tax and trading them a month later to GS for $35-42 depending on the promotion , plus the reward points at both stores, was super convenient and made for essentially a $10-$12 month (or 6 week) long rental for brand new games until you beat em and are sick of em. So much better than 15 years ago when you had blockbuster renting new releases for 2.5days (weekend rental) for like $7 in 2003 dollars (10 today).

Edit: shit I didn’t know you can’t buy PSP games digital anymore that means no way of playing them on the Vita, have to use an actual PSP 1000/2000/3000 with UMD and no OLeD. I would’ve bought the five or so essentials like Pursuit Force. I’m on gaming sites everyday how do I miss such news.? :-(

#257 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   2994 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Depending on the ISP, there is no bandwith (data really) cap.  And I'm paying Comcast $50 extra per month to be capless.  Soon I'm moving to a capless gigabit fiber area.  YAY!

I wish there was fiber around here. Comcast is the only option.

#258 Not Eric   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2409 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

This move by BBY is literally going to keep Gamestop in business for many years to come.  Bravo BBY?

All things being equal I’ll stick to buying new games that are still sealed.

I wouldn't mind buying digital as much if there were better deals (I'm looking at you Nintendo), but then there's still those ridiculous bandwidth caps. I do not want to pay $50/mo extra for unlimited. They really need to raise (or remove) the cap when there are quite a few AAA games that are 90-150GB. It gets very annoying having to carefully monitor usage and predict other people's.

While I wish some of the sales were better, I do think Nintendo has the best rewards program on their shop. 5% back that you can immediately use on your next purchase is great. And I think the glut of games on the Switch has to eventually force publishers to be more aggressive with their discounts.

NotRic.png

#259 kemosahbe  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:19 AM

Best Buy’s Support Twitter has confirmed GCU is over and existing members keep their benefits for now.

#260 Reira   Kotobuki Reiji fangirl CAGiversary!   345 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:19 AM

GCU ending, no more physical Vita cards in the West, Steam pulling adult games... this week is like anti-E3 where gamers get disappointed instead of hyped.

#261 ck0  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:25 AM

PC games sold retail are usually a clamshell DVD case with a slip of paper inside holding the Steam/Ubi/EA activation key.  No reason why consoles couldn't change to the same "physical" purchase if store presence is a concern.

It's possible, but all of them are hesitant to pull that trigger.  Once you cross that line, there is no takebacks like: "oops, it was a accident"

The first one that does that will have to bet on enduring the consumer backlash that may come with it.  And we all remember how fortunes changed when Xbox tried to implement it.  They would be risking all that for what... slight margins on digital?  Alienating customers... however small or large.  That would be an affront to retailers like Gamestop, it would completely undermine their business model of selling used games.  GS won't spare precious shelf space to sell slips of paper, that brings no profits.  The spotlight be on them for taking away the consumer rights we've had as the status quo.  

More options for the consumer are good.  

#262 Jurai  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:29 AM

bbprime.jpg

#263 poker360   Banned Banned   1917 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:30 AM

http://forums.bestbu...tab/most-recent

you can go here and submit ideas/suggestions. If everyone floods them with revive GCU... maybe there is a chance.. maybe?

splintercelll.jpg
Check out the Amazon Warehouse Deals Thread!
fss.png

#264 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10489 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:30 AM

I wouldn't get too comfortable with Prime. Between continually jacking up their membership cost and what Best Buy is doing now, I would not be surprised at all if Amazon also discontinues game discounts.
Posted Image

#265 ElektroDragon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

ElektroDragon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:36 AM

OMG....  My sub actually ends June 13th!  Right in the middle of E3!  I misread earlier.  So hopefully by then pre-orders will go up and I can mega splurge right before the sub ends.

#266 Jurai  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:36 AM

I wouldn't get too comfortable with Prime. Between continually jacking up their membership cost and what Best Buy is doing now, I would not be surprised at all if Amazon also discontinues game discounts.

not gonna lie, I don't really expect Prime game discounts to make it to 2019, Amazon Canada is at only a 10% discount as I recall atm

#267 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder CAGiversary!   7249 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:37 AM

Let's not forget that prime doesn't work on collectors editions.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#268 Uncle Anwar   Lemurian Cult Leader CAGiversary!   537 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Uncle Anwar

Oh my god - everbody running around screaming the sky is falling... Sales are mostly driven by price... Somebody will pick up the slack once these programs go away.

#269 jonathanp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   589 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

With no one else doing it, there'd be no reason to compete.

That being said, I dislike that this is happening. I've been buying my games almost exclusively at Best Buy with GCU + Pickup discount + rewards.

I just resubbed a few months ago so I'm good at least 'for now'. I'm probably just going to pre-order everything I'm somewhat interested in, especially those with the $10 bonus and hope for the best.

#270 tonyvx  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:39 AM

There IS hope for Prime. Don't forget Amazon owns Twitch and have been making big pushes on that front lately, a large part of which is the game discounts. It might not be 20%, but I would be pretty surprised to seem them do away with it entirely.

Or they can decide physical is a waste of their time, create their own game system made just for streaming and aggressively go after the digital marketplace. But let's hope it's the former.