Mixed feelings about E3

Genki-JAM

CAGiversary!
So I've got a bunch of mixed feelings about E3. Especially this year. In fact, I've even made a musical animation about it. But with this week leading up to E3 I've been seeing some really weird stuff that I didn't even bring up in my video because it feels so out of left field. Specifically, I'm talking about how all of these developers and companies are pushing out big reveals before the show. The thing I always looked forward to with E3 were the conferences, but now I'm honestly wondering what the point is now.

Sony said they're going to only focus on a small number of games, developers like Koei Tecmo are revealing big games like Dead or Alive 6 and then saying to "watch Sony's conference for more." It just seems like the excitement is being sucked out. I don't know if they're just trying to beat leakers to the punch or what, but it just seems really weird and it kinda knocks the wind out of the event for me. Or at least what little wind is left, imo. What do you guys think?

It seems normal to me. In previous years during the week leading up to E3 we got the Mortal Kombat X announce trailer, and the reveal of the Persona 5 special editions. Those are just ones I remember of the top of my head.

These kind of announcements could make the press conferences better, but I think they make the week before E3 something to look forward to as well. I like that the hype gets going a bit before the conferences. It makes it feel like "E3 Season" instead of just several conferences.

I think Dead or Alive 6's reveal today helped it more than if it was revealed during a conference. It would have made a conference more cool, but it would have been one of many trailers we saw that that today. Today DOA6 was the biggest news of the day.

Huh. I guess maybe I have selective memory. It just seems like it's happing more than usual this year because each day this week has shown new announcements. But then I had another thought today: maybe they're doing it to avoid certain titles getting lost in the wave of E3 news next week?

E3 has been changing fairly drastically over the course of the preceding decade. Many within the games industry have seriously questioned the need for E3, which is part of the motivation for the changes. Last year, they actually opened E3 up to the general public, selling tickets that were explicitely for average fans and not press. (or average fans pretending to be press)

It is very true that all of the major press conferences have begun to shift to more of a pre-show time slot. I think part of this is a misguided attempt on the part of some of these companies to get their stories out first. I say misguided, because in this day and age being first isn't as important as many of them seem to think. Look at the now legendary current-gen console announcements. Microsoft had their conference first. Did it help them, in either the short or long term? No, not at all. The content of a presentation is more important than the timing. The timing will only help you if you have the content to match. Getting out early can at times be a disadvantage, as it gives your competitors time to respond to what you revealed.

The show floor is also becoming increasingly irrelevant where news is concerned. The press conferences are now where big reveals happen exclusively. The show floor is being adapted for public consumption, which means more hands-on demos and less press news.

I'm kind of bracing for an uneventful Sony conference TBH. We know a majority of what's coming and they've been so good to us in the past, I can't imagine there's many surprises left on the table to pull from. I'd be meh on a Bloodbourne sequel, but a Demon's Souls remaster would be nice. I guess I'm actually feeling burnt out on Sony exclusives because they all follow the same damn formula. Days Gone: zero excitement. Horizon was great, but I own the DLC and haven't even wanted to play it so a sequel there would just be hollow. Uncharted is thankfully done and I hope it stays that way. God of War is a great game, but I'm just not connecting with it to make me want to plow through it. Spiderman has always bored me; could not care less about that one. VR is akin to motion controls: I can't wait for this one to go away.

I've honestly had way more hype for Fallout, the new Elder Scrolls, Battlefield V, Just Cause 4 (they're actually adding stuff to these games now ;)), Red Dead Redemption 2, and possibly Anthem than anything Sony is putting together that we know about. I love my PS4 but Sony exclusives are starting to become borderline irritating in that it's all the same thing.

So another E3 has come and gone, and not a single new Virtual Boy game has been announced... I'm starting to think it's dead finally.

I think the thing with early announcements is all media coverage. Publishers have realized that if they put out a video a week before E3 it can get some actual press and not be over shadowed. For example Tetris Effect (which I'm pumped for) probably would have had almost no coverage if it was shown along side RE2 Remake, TLOU2, and so on at Sony's event. However, since it was put out a week early there was a whole day where every site out there had something about the new Tetris game. 

I think getting it close to E3 helps more than a normal announcement because people are looking and more interested in gaming news around this time then they may normally be. 

I found it to be REALLY boring. I was expecting at least a tiny mention of Final Fantasy VII remake from Squeenix, but no such luck. I can't figure out why they went there with next to nothing, particularly after showing off everything except for TWO games on other companies' stages.

That after not being there for THREE YEARS!!!

I was like, "Oh, great, another Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer woooooo."

I didn't quite get it this year. I'm waiting for Fallout 76 more than anything else, and that's because I live in West Virginia.

I found it to be REALLY boring. I was expecting at least a tiny mention of Final Fantasy VII remake from Squeenix, but no such luck. I can't figure out why they went there with next to nothing, particularly after showing off everything except for TWO games on other companies' stages.

That after not being there for THREE YEARS!!!

I was like, "Oh, great, another Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer woooooo."
Yeah Square Enix was incredibly disappointing. No point in them having conference with what they showed.

Yeah Square Enix was incredibly disappointing. No point in them having conference with what they showed.
Right? I feel like they booked the time for this year last year before they changed all the stuff with the Remake, and then they were like, "Well lets just go anyway."

Right? I feel like they booked the time for this year last year before they changed all the stuff with the Remake, and then they were like, "Well lets just go anyway."
After the stream, the first thing out of my mouth was: "That's it?"

Bethesda did nothing for me.

However, Sony was the one who stole E3 in my eyes. Microsoft did good, but not exactly, "wow!" kind of stealing the show. The biggest announcements were Devil May Cry 5, and Cyberpunk 2077.

This necro made me re-read comments and I gotta say, gut feelings on things were spot on. Actually playing through JC4 now that I've gotten around to it and it's a blast. We still play Fallout 76 here and there when new content is released and Anthem was the big surprise loser given the terrible release. Days Gone ended up being meh and RDR2 just came too late I think for me. Eight years was enough time to bury the franchise for me, as I lost interest after about 10 hours.

I have taught 3rd grade for 8 years now and still have mixed feelings about displaying a word wall in my classroom. The last few years I have made personal "dictionaries" for my kids, but they are too lazy to use them. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas you have used previously that work.

I was thinking of just posting 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of papers labeled with each letter of the alphabet with corresponding sight words on each paper.

Any ideas would be GREAT

bread's done
Back