Madden 19 $39.99 @ BB - Deal of the Day

Tempted.  Hate I missed the trade in deal this year.  This price adjustment would have made it as good as years past.

Still in price adjustment range with Elite+ - would make it ~$22 net if you pre-ordered :)
Less if you used the trade-up coupon, though. Also, wouldn't you then forfeit the $10 rewards for pre-ordering? If you lose all of that, too much hassle for $2

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure you can consider the value of digital purchases to instantly go to $0, on a marketplace at least. They retain value to you to play but can no longer be used a marketable good.
^This. I don't understand the rationale behind people who are so quick to embrace the digital future. And I'm someone who has never traded in a used game before. The whole "taking up hard drive space/needing a connection to reinstall/being at the mercy of a company's servers" thing is one gripe I have, but more importantly, people always say that if games are digital, it takes all of the manufacturing process/physical goods costs out of the equation and games will be cheaper. When exactly has this happened? Sure, PSN & Live have sales but whenever you see a game have a 60% discount at BB or GameStop, digital is always still full price. Shelf space/time directly leads to discounts, every time. The incentive is gone otherwise.

^This. I don't understand the rationale behind people who are so quick to embrace the digital future. And I'm someone who has never traded in a used game before. The whole "taking up hard drive space/needing a connection to reinstall/being at the mercy of a company's servers" thing is one gripe I have, but more importantly, people always say that if games are digital, it takes all of the manufacturing process/physical goods costs out of the equation and games will be cheaper. When exactly has this happened? Sure, PSN & Live have sales but whenever you see a game have a 60% discount at BB or GameStop, digital is always still full price. Shelf space/time directly leads to discounts, every time. The incentive is gone otherwise.
Also, it's 2018, why are people still buying Madden?

Also, it's 2018, why are people still buying Madden?
What should we be buying in 2018, oh wise one?

No. It's not. It's microtransaction-based garbage that gives them an excuse not to develop a good franchise mode or anything else in the game. F*ck MUT.
Normally, I'd agree with you. But the dev team actually did a pretty solid job this year. There are so many opportunities to earn coins and straight up be given elite level cards just for playing games. I haven't spent a single cent this year and have an 85 OVR team. Some people might not like that you have to grind to get this stuff, but I can at least appreciate that that's part of gameplay and not just a cash grab. I also haven't played a single online game because there are so many offline/solo challenges to do.

If you want barebones and complete laziness, go look at NHL 19.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played football games since the beginning and I just can't get into MUT.  I agree they made more ways to get cards etc. but the whole upgrade, train just makes you need to play MUT more.  The playing alone and the time it takes scenarios to load still hasn't been fixed.  I'm playing a special situation, I don't need to set time of day or weather or even pick controllers.  That becomes so annoying as you're trying to earn coins.  Beyond getting a good team, I felt like I ran out of things to do and now offline franchise seemed hollow and not worth my time.  I now realize I am a sports game dinosaur and will probably let that area of my gaming library go extinct.

Getting it because ea donated money to victims families. I’m glad they made the gesture to help them through terrible times..... and my gcu is still active.

I have played football games since the beginning and I just can't get into MUT. I agree they made more ways to get cards etc. but the whole upgrade, train just makes you need to play MUT more. The playing alone and the time it takes scenarios to load still hasn't been fixed. I'm playing a special situation, I don't need to set time of day or weather or even pick controllers. That becomes so annoying as you're trying to earn coins. Beyond getting a good team, I felt like I ran out of things to do and now offline franchise seemed hollow and not worth my time. I now realize I am a sports game dinosaur and will probably let that area of my gaming library go extinct.
Full disclosure, it is entirely possible that my interest in franchise has faded because my team has pretty much sucked for most of the past decade, lol. So, the idea of having set objectives and earning better and better cards gives the game a little more purpose than "be a bad team and set the difficulty low enough that I'm not angry all the time", haha. And with the BB trade in promos, I've paid less than $30 for the game the past few years. So, that helps.

But you are totally right, the training points system actually encourages more pack buying and more MUT playing. But it's also very fair. It's really an ingenious system because between quickselling for training points and the various upgrade sets, it allows low end cards to still have value and purpose. You actually need players rated 62-64 so you can get get silver tokens that you can put toward a guaranteed 87+ player. Or you can take two of them and exchange them for one high silver card. Or you can just quicksell them and get 5 training points to use on your Power Up players.

I know in NHL's Ultimate Team, cards are worthless right out of the gate. There is literally no purpose in having bronze and silver cards in that game. Finally just this year did they allow you to exchange those worthless cards into one from the next tier up. But it takes 5 bronze commons to get 1 bronze rare...and the stupid NHL dev team put a cooldown timer on the set so you can only do it once every six hours. Don't want people to be getting too many amazing bronze rare cards, lol. They also doubled the price of packs this year. So, yeah, however bad you think it is in Madden, the greed and stupidity is oh so much worse in NHL.

You realize most physical games have day 1 patches and not just for online use. All physical PS4 games install to your internal or external hdd and use the disc to verify ownership. With that said I still prefer most games physically so I can trade it in. There are exceptions like GTA 5, Crash Bandicoot, etc. If I buy the game online via PSN and eShop I can avoid sales tax and avoid Newegg. Where I live we don’t do state income tax so I can’t pay back the state without going way out of my way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. It's not. It's microtransaction-based garbage that gives them an excuse not to develop a good franchise mode or anything else in the game. F*ck MUT.
I waited to do the trade in offer and its value dropped from $9 quickly unlike past years where the value was locked in. Wasn't too upset since I had just hit level 50 (original max level) in 18 and my amazing reward was the opportunity to buy a pack for $20. Even worse the pack contents were pretty useless because by the time you are level 50, 96+ players aren't starters for the most part.

Considering I did store pick (save $1) and traded in Madden 18 towards this, the net cost to upgrade to this year's game was on the order of $10.

You realize most physical games have day 1 patches and not just for online use. All physical PS4 games install to your internal or external hdd and use the disc to verify ownership. With that said I still prefer most games physically so I can trade it in. There are exceptions like GTA 5, Crash Bandicoot, etc. If I buy the game online via PSN and eShop I can avoid sales tax and avoid Newegg. Where I live we don’t do state income tax so I can’t pay back the state without going way out of my way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I guess I feel like when I'm retired and have the time to play all these games, I can dust them off and they'll work like they do on the consoles of yore. Perhaps they won't if those day one patches are no longer accessible. Ignorance is bliss, I guess...

What should we be buying in 2018, oh wise one?

Normally, I'd agree with you. But the dev team actually did a pretty solid job this year. There are so many opportunities to earn coins and straight up be given elite level cards just for playing games. I haven't spent a single cent this year and have an 85 OVR team. Some people might not like that you have to grind to get this stuff, but I can at least appreciate that that's part of gameplay and not just a cash grab. I also haven't played a single online game because there are so many offline/solo challenges to do.

If you want barebones and complete laziness, go look at NHL 19.
Not wise...just fatigued, as you mentioned in your later comments. The last iteration of Madden I bought was 14 years ago when they put that homicidal, raving, lunatic on the cover. Haven't had the itch to revisit it yet. I bought FIFA 18 (FIFA 13 before that) and it will probably be my last unless I get World Cup fever for FIFA 22. I also don't understand people who continue to play CoD unless you're a HUGE "Zombies"-head. There's just so much else out there, and little or no time to discover it all (obviously this doesn't apply if you're new (and not bitter) to these franchises). A new Fight Night/Ready 2 Rumble/Punch-Out might catch my eye though...

Not wise...just fatigued, as you mentioned in your later comments. The last iteration of Madden I bought was 14 years ago when they put that homicidal, raving, lunatic on the cover. Haven't had the itch to revisit it yet. I bought FIFA 18 (FIFA 13 before that) and it will probably be my last unless I get World Cup fever for FIFA 22. I also don't understand people who continue to play CoD unless you're a HUGE "Zombies"-head. There's just so much else out there, and little or no time to discover it all (obviously this doesn't apply if you're new (and not bitter) to these franchises). A new Fight Night/Ready 2 Rumble/Punch-Out might catch my eye though...
I get where you're coming from. I guess a distinction has to be made between being a fan of games or a fan of football though. As a fan of football, I do tend to play the game every year. Same with NHL. But I definitely have thought many times how much other stuff I could play and complete if I wasn't into the repetition that is sports games. But hey, we enjoy what we enjoy. And sometimes it's just easier to bang out a 30 minute sports contest rather than trying to remember what I was doing in that 40 hour epic RPG/adventure/action game that I only have an hour or two for. I'll tell you, the older I get, the more I start to appreciate 5 hour games, haha.

They made the most improvements to Franchise this year than they have in the past few. That may not be enough for you, but it’s the truth. Rent it from Redbox/Family Video or wait for the $20 Super Bowl digital sale.

I guess I feel like when I'm retired and have the time to play all these games, I can dust them off and they'll work like they do on the consoles of yore. Perhaps they won't if those day one patches are no longer accessible. Ignorance is bliss, I guess...
I keep my back logged games updated incase they pull the patches once I get around to playing them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back