* - - - - 1 votes

Best Buy Ad 10/7-10/13

#31 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5848 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:47 PM

Didn’t you hear? Toys R Us canceled their bankruptcy sale and plans to reopen store now.

Somehow, I don't see that helping. Since Toys R Us probably won't discount their video game stock much because they need to recoup their losses, other chains won't have much incentive to lower their prices in order to compete for our business. But, whatever helps you to sleep at night!

#32 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:25 PM

I seen they might try to bring back some stores. Or they want to sell Toys R Us brand stuff at other retailers.

#33 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3710 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

Somehow, I don't see that helping. Since Toys R Us probably won't discount their video game stock much because they need to recoup their losses, other chains won't have much incentive to lower their prices in order to compete for our business. But, whatever helps you to sleep at night!

I don't think they have announced any concrete relaunch plans and just said that the brand is too valuable to let it just die essentially. Toys 'R' Us closing has left an $11 billion dollar gap in the toy industry. The brand can absolutely make money and they honestly weren't doing that bad prior to the closing, it was bad deals and getting into all that debt that did them in. 

I seen they might try to bring back some stores. Or they want to sell Toys R Us brand stuff at other retailers.

I think they will partner with a Target or Wal-Mart to bring the TRU brand to those types of stores and whoever they end up partnering with will probably expand their toy section and obviously brand it TRU. I could also see them opening a few larger stores too, but not like what they had before. The old TRU in my town is already being primed for another business to move into its former location. 

#34 mike568   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:39 PM

I work at PetSmart and we still carry Toys R Us and Puppy R Us at full price. It our in house brand since the upc begins with the same series of numbers as our other brands. I legitimately have had customers ask for a discount or if it was discounted since Toys R Us was closing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#35 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   13550 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:13 PM

Our old TRU is a Halloween store for now, but a sucky one compared to Spirit.

#36 PsychoNinja1994  

PsychoNinja1994

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:24 AM

Don't know if this has been posted but my GCU membership ends in about a week and Best Buy sent me a 25% Off going away gift. Check your emails if yours is about to expire. It stacked with GCU and so I got AC Odyssey Gold Edition for $70.

#37 mike568   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:51 AM

Don't know if this has been posted but my GCU membership ends in about a week and Best Buy sent me a 25% Off going away gift. Check your emails if yours is about to expire. It stacked with GCU and so I got AC Odyssey Gold Edition for $70.

Is the coupon good one item or one order? My GCU expires on October 30th so shouldn’t I have received it already.

#38 JDKingdomHeartsFAN4LIFE  

JDKingdomHeartsFAN4LIFE

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:25 AM

If you pre order black ops right before it comes out like I mean the hour before it comes out will you get $10

#39 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6072 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:32 AM

I'm all for remasters or re-issues from 1-3 gens ago but the pricing on them usually blows, especially on Nintendo systems. So a ported GameCube game is $40 & an original DS game for $50? Ouch, can you say gouging?

Porting a game still needs a team of people working on transfering assets, writing new code, changing previous code, etc.

It is easier to port a game vs making a new one but it still has dev cost. $40 - $50 for a port that you aren't forced to pay for seems reasonable to me. And I know it's easy to look at a game and think, "oh it's a port, I can get the original on x console for less". That's true but they are not the same game. Everything has a price and just b/c a game is on the Xbox One doesn't mean you're entitled to the PS4 version. Different product, different cost.

#40 mike568   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:03 AM

If you pre order black ops right before it comes out like I mean the hour before it comes out will you get $10

I know my post is to late for you but as a preorder a qualifying game before midnight Central time you will get the preorder bonus. For example COD released 10/12/18 so you could have ordered at 11:59pm Central time on 10/11/18. I don’t recommend you cutting that close. Make sure on your order it says 10/11/18 and not 10/12/18 for the order date. This all applies to online. In store I THINK they cut off preorders a day or two before release day.

#41 JDKingdomHeartsFAN4LIFE  

JDKingdomHeartsFAN4LIFE

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:16 AM

Thanks I really appreciate that I checked my order it was 30 mins before 1 am eastern time so I’m glad I will get the $10. Next time I won’t be so close to the time.

#42 PsychoNinja1994  

PsychoNinja1994

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

Is the coupon good one item or one order? My GCU expires on October 30th so shouldn’t I have received it already.

Email states it's valid for one game and it excludes Red Dead 2. I got the email on the 10th and my GCU expires the 15th. The header should say "Thank you (Insert Name here). Here is 25% Off...and it cuts of there.

#43 boogie4114   Enthusiastic Gamer!! CAGiversary!   2191 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:01 PM

Is it a single use code or generic code?

#44 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2022 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:24 PM

There would be a whole thread devoted to abusing the code if it was generic. ;)

#45 mike568   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

Thanks I really appreciate that I checked my order it was 30 mins before 1 am eastern time so I’m glad I will get the $10. Next time I won’t be so close to the time.

I preordered COD back in May since I had a bonus reward certificate expiring. I finally picked up my order and less than an hour later I got the bonus $10 in points. That is the good thing about preordering months in advance.

#46 skrilla99   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   454 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

skrilla99

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:22 PM

Cautionary Tale: So I was just banned by Bestbuy from returning any items for 365 days due to a company they use named The Retail Equation which tracks returns. I’m by no means a serial returner, in fact I looked at my account history and saw only 3 returns in the past year! 2 of those were watches which I returned and bought a more expensive version w more features. The man I spoke with said Bestbuy would and has been doing this more frequently(strange??!). think there must be some mistake so I’m having them send me the report to see what else they may have on it. I’ve been a Bestbuy Elite plus member for the past 5 years straight and in all cases have spent well over 4-5k in purchases per year. This has pissed me off so much that pending this report, I will be boycotting and making my purchases in other places and cancelling my BBCC. Their loss, c’est la vie.

#47 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

Sucks best buy is just getting worse and worse.

I have return tons of stuff before for different reasons and have never had this happen.

Thick have had it happen at walmart. I return like 100 bucks in camping stuff I ending up not needing and was ban for 6 months lol

#48 PsychoNinja1994  

PsychoNinja1994

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:28 AM

Is it a single use code or generic code?

Single use. I was hoping I could use it again but to no surpise it said already redeemed.

#49 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4259 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:18 AM

Cautionary Tale: So I was just banned by Bestbuy from returning any items for 365 days due to a company they use named The Retail Equation which tracks returns. I’m by no means a serial returner, in fact I looked at my account history and saw only 3 returns in the past year! 2 of those were watches which I returned and bought a more expensive version w more features. The man I spoke with said Bestbuy would and has been doing this more frequently(strange??!). think there must be some mistake so I’m having them send me the report to see what else they may have on it. I’ve been a Bestbuy Elite plus member for the past 5 years straight and in all cases have spent well over 4-5k in purchases per year. This has pissed me off so much that pending this report, I will be boycotting and making my purchases in other places and cancelling my BBCC. Their loss, c’est la vie.

The Retail Equation isn't just used by Best Buy - it's used by a lot of companies to track returns.

#50 mrclutch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3890 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

I saw a story about that return thing on the news awhile back. Shame it hitting legit shoppers. I’ve got a router I’m going to return so I guess I should cash out my rewards points.

#51 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11570 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:02 AM

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if BB is using the Retail Equation/returns as a way to further thin the active GCU herd.  No longer being allowed to return means less purchases (and thus not using a GCU membership).  I do know that for the next several months I will be very careful with what I return to BB, if anything.

#52 srac84  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

nvm ..edit..didn't realize this is last weeks thread lol

#53 srac84  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if BB is using the Retail Equation/returns as a way to further thin the active GCU herd.  No longer being allowed to return means less purchases (and thus not using a GCU membership).  I do know that for the next several months I will be very careful with what I return to BB, if anything.

make sure you didn't return at several other stores too like everyone said TRE tracks through several stores not just best buy

#54 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11570 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:19 PM

make sure you didn't return at several other stores too like everyone said TRE tracks through several stores not just best buy

Yeah, there is no definitive list but I remember hearing that Home Depot was one, TRU another.  Something like 30-50 different retailers. I believe Walmart uses their own tracking system, and I believe Target may as well.