No Man's Sky (PS4) $9.97 "New" at Gamestop

Thanks, OP!  Cashed out a $10 rewards cert for this one.  It's funny, but this time, I don't even care if it's gutted when I go to buy it at the store later since I actually plan to play it.  And it probably will be.

When I bought NMS "new" for $20 before the NEXT update came out, it was a gutted copy.  But I think it was the last one they had too.

No, man. 

Also, in before "I don't get the hate for this game. I get that it launched with bugs but they patched it up and it's not bad. Thanks OP." 

Thanks! I just picked this up at Best Buy on the X for $25, and am really enjoying it - picked up a copy for a buddy for Christmas because for $10 can't say no!

$10 is a steal. Anyone who hasn't been following NMS since it's disastrous launch, Hello Games has been regularly providing free updates over the last two years. The NEXT update 4 months ago finished implementing the major features most people were expecting at launch. Since then, the devs have been fixing bugs and rolling out new content expansions for free. 

Developer should be commended for the work they have done after being crucified for his lies. Regardless of being justified. He could have said the hell with it and went into hiding. Instead he hired the help of other devs and made amends. Tons of updates and it doesnt look like they are stopping any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I haven't played the game, I applaud the dev team for keeping at it with free content and continuing to update it instead of moving on to a new project. Most bigger companies would abandon and move on but it takes a lot to see your project fail and come up especially years later.

Developer should be commended for the work they have done after being crucified for his lies. Regardless of being justified. He could have said the hell with it and went into hiding. Instead he hired the help of other devs and made amends.Tons of updates and it doesnt look like they are stopping any time soon.
That's a fair point. I do tip my hat for the work that was done post launch; I have not experienced it, but the fact they are still updating game 2 years after launch provides context they are up to something.

Still, the damage has been done.

That's a fair point. I do tip my hat for the work that was done post launch; I have not experienced it, but the fact they are still updating game 2 years after launch provides context they are up to something.

I dont fully agree with that. There is a path to redemption with gamers and casuals. I think he is on that path. You are more than welcome to take a stand but if you are really mad about not getting the right envisioned product...guess what? That product is available now through a few updates. Just seems odd to be so angry.

I dont fully agree with that. There is a path to redemption with gamers and casuals. I think he is on that path. You are more than welcome to take a stand but if you are really mad about not getting the right envisioned product...guess what? That product is available now through a few updates. Just seems odd to be so angry.
I can certainly understand if anyone is upset at this game and paid $60/$48 for it. It was falsely advertised and came out half baked. I was upset with Mass Effect 4* for similar reasons.

Fixing the product, IMO, gives the developer some credibility whenever they come out with a second game.

What I don't get is people standing up for sketch biz practices within video game industry. It's good that people call BS.

I can understand to an extent. The fact that its been rectified should hold a lot of weight. Even in the gaming world where even the simplest things get blow out of proportion. Sometimes to embarrassing levels. If you still own the game I think you owe it to yourself to at least see what the devs have done. For the sake of this topic. $10 is a deal and ironically im sure people are paying way more as we speak for less.

I can understand to an extent. The fact that its been rectified should hold a lot of weight. Even in the gaming world where even the simplest things get blow out of proportion. Sometimes to embarrassing levels. If you still own the game I think you owe it to yourself to at least see what the devs have done. For the sake of this topic. $10 is a deal and ironically im sure people are paying way more as we speak for less.
Yea IDK. I buy into the notion that a product should be complete at launch. This crap of releasing half baked games (see Fallout 76 for latest example) and charging full price while giving consumers no option for a refund is legit criminal.

Just got Ys VIII and RE7 Gold "New" from them. Any way to get those nasty clear stickers off the game case? My Ys case is sticking to my other PS4 boxes.
if you have a bunch of cases with stickers and residue, you should buy a bottle of goo gone. stuff works great and is pretty cheap.

Thanks, OP! Cashed out a $10 rewards cert for this one. It's funny, but this time, I don't even care if it's gutted when I go to buy it at the store later since I actually plan to play it. And it probably will be.

I thought item had to be $10 or more. $9.97 won't cut it, or has that changed. Will use a $5 rewards just in case

I thought item had to be $10 or more. $9.97 won't cut it, or has that changed. Will use a $5 rewards just in case
It isn’t like Best Buy where the subtotal needs to be equal or higher than the certificate. Think of it as like a gift card but any remaining balance you don’t get to keep. I’ve used $10 certs on $9.99 items plenty of times

You can use a $10 cert on an item that costs less than $10. You just don't get change back. And I might have to pay the difference for the tax out of pocket.

Lighter fluid works pretty well too and doesn’t leave that orange discoloring that goo gone does.
Are you talking about Goof Off or Goo gone?

Goo gone has worked for me in the past and doesn't leave too much of a mess if you use it sparingly.

Goof off is too strong for this IMO. That stuff is pretty aggressive.

For who? People who played it at launch? Maybe. For everyone else not so much. I got it for $20 from Black Friday a couple years back. It's been lying in my backlog ever since. If I played it right now for the first time it'd be an entirely different game than it was back then. I never experienced the "bad" version. I will only experience the "good" version, so for someone like me the damage has not been done.

This is an outstanding deal. I was disappointed at launch, but with all of the recent fixes, it totally redeems the game. I actually repurchased it and I am extremely pleased. 

Yea IDK. I buy into the notion that a product should be complete at launch. This crap of releasing half baked games (see Fallout 76 for latest example) and charging full price while giving consumers no option for a refund is legit criminal.
I do agree, but.. the fact they stuck with the game and fixed it instead of bitching at the gamers and walking away means a lot imo.

Best game ever? No.
But it is a pretty good game. Now.

Will i hesitate to buy anything from hello games again? Yep.

Fallout 76 started similar to NMS. Lets see how the big developers handle it.

For who? People who played it at launch? Maybe. For everyone else not so much. I got it for $20 from Black Friday a couple years back. It's been lying in my backlog ever since. If I played it right now for the first time it'd be an entirely different game than it was back then. I never experienced the "bad" version. I will only experience the "good" version, so for someone like me the damage has not been done.
The company who made the game. They damaged their rep in similar fashion as to how Bethesda damaged its rep w/ F76. This isn't about you lol.

The company who made the game. They damaged their rep in similar fashion as to how Bethesda damaged its rep w/ F76. This isn't about you lol.
You sure? Cause considering how much they turned the game around and transformed it into a worthwhile experience I don't see it messing with their future too much. I saw the reception for this game go from non stop hate around launch to consistent praise. It's obvious they spent all the pre-order money they got on these free updates but they could've just taken the cash and ran. Bungie does it all the time. All bigger devs do that because they don't care. And publishers care even less, they're just looking to monetize as much of the game as possible. That was the motivation behind Fallout 76 in the first place, but since it backfired Bethesda will make amends with Starfield and call it a day.

As far as I know there aren't any microtransactions in No Man's Sky and what was promised was finally delivered (interesting universe to explore, story content, playing with other people, etc.) Damn, considering I never pre-ordered and I'm not bitter about being shafted at launch, I actually commend them for being smart enough to get all that funding upfront and then using it to manifest their original vision. It wasn't honest but it apparently worked really well for them and for the people who are playing the game right now. I can't complain about that.

You sure? Cause considering how much they turned the game around and transformed it into a worthwhile experience I don't see it messing with their future too much. I saw the reception for this game go from non stop hate around launch to consistent praise. It's obvious they spent all the pre-order money they got on these free updates but they could've just taken the cash and ran. Bungie does it all the time. All bigger devs do that because they don't care. And publishers care even less, they're just looking to monetize as much of the game as possible. That was the motivation behind Fallout 76 in the first place, but since it backfired Bethesda will make amends with Starfield and call it a day.

As far as I know there aren't any microtransactions in No Man's Sky and what was promised was finally delivered (interesting universe to explore, story content, playing with other people, etc.) Damn, considering I never pre-ordered and I'm not bitter about being shafted at launch, I actually commend them for being smart enough to get all that funding upfront and then using it to manifest their original vision. It wasn't honest but it apparently worked really well for them and for the people who are playing the game right now. I can't complain about that.
Yes, I'm pretty sure. To say its rep didn't take a hit (I mean, just look at all the memes) is inaccurate. Applauding them because they didn't just take the cash and run is a bit of a head scratcher on my end; game industry shouldn't be celebrated when they don't rip consumers off.

"Betheseda will make amends with Starfield and call it a day." – so it's cool that they screwed people over, but if they make a good Starfield game it's all good? I hope you're kidding. I mean, there's even a class action lawsuit about how dirty they were in doing that. (I didn't snag F76, fwiw).

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy the game. I don't think my comments here will turn the tide of anything re: those who are cool with how sketch this industry is.

Kind of a weird place on the internet to be talking about quality of a game or the ability to play a game right away. Considering 99% of people here buy games just to say 'I will play that one day'. So the whole process seems perfectly acceptable by this sites standards. I mean logically if you bought it at launch you should just be getting to it right? Not to mention if you paid $60 at launch and you are mad at what was promised...why are you here? Shouldnt you be at MSRP Ass Gamer?

If EA can constantly bounce back from bad game PR, than they can too. Gamers for the most part care about the game and not the company it comes from. If they release another game and it's good, people will forget that No Man's Sky came out to lesser than expected expectations.

Yes, I'm pretty sure. To say its rep didn't take a hit (I mean, just look at all the memes) is inaccurate. Applauding them because they didn't just take the cash and run is a bit of a head scratcher on my end; game industry shouldn't be celebrated when they don't rip consumers off.

"Betheseda will make amends with Starfield and call it a day." – so it's cool that they screwed people over, but if they make a good Starfield game it's all good? I hope you're kidding. I mean, there's even a class action lawsuit about how dirty they were in doing that. (I didn't snag F76, fwiw).

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy the game. I don't think my comments here will turn the tide of anything re: those who are cool with how sketch this industry is.
He was kidding. He is comparing how hello games addressed the issues, and how bethesda (and most of the industry) handles bad games at launch.
Note how many developers blame the consumer instead of accepting their mistakes and correcting them. Which is exactly what you are saying. Hello games is one of those exceptions.
Again im not saying there is no blame for what they did, just saying they have not quit the game or blamed the gamers.

If bethesda turns things around and fixes fallout 76, good. I just dont have a whole lot of faith that they will. And this could be good for the next fallout, they learn from this and make it great, or horribly bad... they drop fallout due to the lawsuit or continue down this path and keep saying its the gamers that are the problem.
If the lawsuit goes through and harms bethesdas bottom line, they could be very gun shy to make the next fallout.

I bought NMS at launch ($48) and was pissed for a long time. Tossed it in about 6 months ago and was very impressed with the changes they made. Almost exactly what was promissed.

He was kidding. He is comparing how hello games addressed the issues, and how bethesda (and most of the industry) handles bad games at launch.
Note how many developers blame the consumer instead of accepting their mistakes and correcting them. Which is exactly what you are saying. Hello games is one of those exceptions.
Again im not saying there is no blame for what they did, just saying they have not quit the game or blamed the gamers.

If bethesda turns things around and fixes fallout 76, good. I just dont have a whole lot of faith that they will. And this could be good for the next fallout, they learn from this and make it great, or horribly bad... they drop fallout due to the lawsuit or continue down this path and keep saying its the gamers that are the problem.
If the lawsuit goes through and harms bethesdas bottom line, they could be very gun shy to make the next fallout.

I bought NMS at launch ($48) and was pissed for a long time. Tossed it in about 6 months ago and was very impressed with the changes they made. Almost exactly what was promissed.
I'm enjoying this discussion so I'll bite.

My issue is that it is beyond unacceptable to release unfinished games, especially when the developer is running around saying the game will be rainbows and unicorns. It's a practice that's become so commonplace that people are defending the companies who are doing it, which, bravo to the companies for actually pulling that off. It's honestly impressive.

I look at a game like God of War or Zelda or Dark Souls and compare that to F76 or NMS. The latter is unacceptable while the former is the way it should be when a game launches. Games like XCOM, which launched with bugs but overall, were widely regarded as enjoyable is fine — "I get that."

In Bethesda's case, it seems they took their brand loyalty and instead of building on it, tried cashing in on it. It was an asset flip through and through, but also broken. With NMS, they promised the moon but delivered a hot turd; they knew full well they could never deliver that promise, but went about saying they were anyway. That's criminal. And overall, we should call BS when companies pull this stuff because otherwise, it will literally keep happening but at a more frequent pace.

Also, I buy games at MSRP. There are pre order threads here all the time.

I'm not saying it's "cool" or it's "good" that people will forget about 76 when Starfield comes out and is an excellent single player experience, but that's what's going to happen. Do you honestly think people are going to boycott Bethesda when they go back to doing what they do best? You'd have to be delusional to think that. They won't be pulling the online only nonsense again, that's for sure, but to assume all their future games are doomed now as a result is foolish. They'll be just fine, I guarantee it. I never said I support sketchy business practices, but when some games are literally pay to win money making schemes, you can't really trash No Man's Sky at this point since they've already made amends and then some.

Almost no one cares about the launch anymore, just go to any YouTube video for one of their recent updates and check the like bar/comments. It's all positive now. The reception couldn't be better. If you wasted $60 at launch, get over it already. Nobody forced you to pre-order. You can't keep pre-ordering games and then expect them to all turn out great. If you really want to protest misleading advertisement don't ever pre-order another game again. But for this game in particular, assuming a launch player didn't trade it in by now, the experience is a hundred times better than it was then.

We are in more agreement than you think. All im saying is hello games handled the problem a HELL of a lot better than bethesda (or almost every other dev anymore)

Not defending hello games, just saying the *game* is a Hell of a lot better than launch. And i have to say good job hello games for not being a dick about their screwup. (Unlike many others...)

I'm not saying it's "cool" or it's "good" that people will forget about 76 when Starfield comes out and is an excellent single player experience, but that's what's going to happen. Do you honestly think people are going to boycott Bethesda when they go back to doing what they do best? You'd have to be delusional to think that. They won't be pulling the online only nonsense again, that's for sure, but to assume all their future games are doomed now as a result is foolish. They'll be just fine, I guarantee it. I never said I support sketchy business practices, but when some games are literally pay to win money making schemes, you can't really trash No Man's Sky at this point since they've already made amends and then some.

Almost no one cares about the launch anymore, just go to any YouTube video for one of their recent updates and check the like bar/comments. It's all positive now. The reception couldn't be better. If you wasted $60 at launch, get over it already. Nobody forced you to pre-order. You can't keep pre-ordering games and then expect them to all turn out great. If you really want to protest misleading advertisement don't ever pre-order another game again. But for this game in particular, assuming a launch player didn't trade it in by now, the experience is a hundred times better than it was then.
Do you honestly think people are going to boycott Bethesda when they go back to doing what they do best?

>No, I do not. It will cause some or many to pause before buying it. Previously, people bought games with the Fallout name Day 1 because of the company's history. That will no longer be the case. Also, I never mentioned the word, "boycott," though I would imagine some people will never buy their games again.

They won't be pulling the online only nonsense again, that's for sure, but to assume all their future games are doomed now as a result is foolish.

>I'm not sure how you know what they will or won't do again. Two years from now, they could become the next Ubisoft, for example. I never said they were doomed, either. Their rep has taken a massive hit. They were universally loved, but now, not so much. I'm also unsure Starfield will knock it out of the park because nobody has played it. It could suck or be very mediocre.

Almost no one cares about the launch anymore, just go to any YouTube video for one of their recent updates and check the like bar/comments. It's all positive now. The reception couldn't be better. If you wasted $60 at launch, get over it already.

>Um, sure. No one cares. You're right. I never bought NMS or F76, but I can promise you that your mentality about "just getting over it" is widely celebrated in the game industry. Also, YouTube, seriously? Those guys get paid to be "influencers." Yesh.

Will say this: Your comments/thoughts/position on all of this is eye opening. So thanks for that.

Finally got my factory sealed non-gutted copy tonight after work. Used the $10 cert and no money exchanged hands.

Now I can sleep soundly knowing No Man's Sky is safely in my backlog.

the funny thing about this is everyone commenting on "new" but I just ordered that shitshow Has Been Heroes for Switch for $4.99, preowned, and it came sealed.   of course this was an online purchase, as opposed to in-store.

Also, YouTube, seriously? Those guys get paid to be "influencers." Yesh.
So the overwhelmingly positive reception to the game reflected in the like bar and comments sections are "paid to be influencers". I think you mean content creators, which I don't pay attention to. But people in the comments? Take the tinfoil hat off, lol you were making some fair points but wtf are you even trying to say now. Everyone who likes No Man's Sky is a shill? I'm out, this just got ridiculous.

Wanted this when it launched but waited for feedback and passed on it even though it still looked like something I'd enjoy (even the way it was).  At this price with all the updates I went ahead and grabbed a copy today from a local store.  Nicely it was still factory sealed.  Thanks OP for the heads up.

bread's done
Back