* - - - - 2 votes

Google Stadia Founder's Edition - $129

#1 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2822 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:00 AM

Included in Stadia Founder's Edition:

- A limited-edition night blue controller
- A Chromecast Ultra
- A three-month subscription to the Stadia Pro service
- First dibs on your Stadia Name
- A three-month Buddy Pass to Stadia Pro for a friend

Stadia Pro subscription is $10 a month and includes:

- Streaming up to 4K/60fps/HDR in 5.1 surround sound
- Access to a library of free games for the duration of your subscription
- Exclusive discounts on purchasing games
- For a limited time, access to the complete Destiny 2 experience, including all previous and upcoming add-ons

Stadia Launch Games
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- DOOM Eternal
- DOOM 2016
- Rage 2
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- Wolfenstein: Youngblood
- Destiny 2
- Get Packed
- GRID
- Metro Exodus
- Thumper
- Farming Simulator 19
- Baldur's Gate 3
- Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
- Football Manager
- Samurai Showdown
- Final Fantasy XV
- Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- NBA 2K
- Borderlands 3
- Gylt
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Darksiders Genesis
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey
- Just Dance
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint
- Tom Clancy's The Division 2
- Trials Rising
- The Crew 2

Founder’s Edition will ship in November 2019. Base edition in 2020.

Obviously this is not a deal but I figured some might be interested.

https://store.google...magazine/stadia

#2 Fades   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:17 AM

Ordered this earlier. Wouldn't be surprised if it sells out.

#3 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3010 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

so it's just a controller and chromecast for $130?

#4 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

Basically the controller is wifi so it connects directly to the google servers. then it casts the screen to your device. It has a netflix like sub for games....but you still have to buy some of them to play...not really sure who this is for.

#5 Inriri   Kung Fu Skeleton CAGiversary!   521 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

Do keep in mind that it'll require a 35mbps to get the 4k 60fps experience. Also PC Gamer has reported that 65 hours worth of Stadia streaming at 4k will use a terabyte of data.

#6 Gurren Lagann   Who Da Hell Do You Think I Am CAGiversary!   3078 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Gurren Lagann

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

Basically the controller is wifi so it connects directly to the google servers. then it casts the screen to your device. It has a netflix like sub for games....but you still have to buy some of them to play...not really sure who this is for.

You have to buy some games to play?! What kind of shit is that!

#7 mrclutch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4236 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

The same chromecast device is usually $70 I think, so $50 for the controller. I don’t think it’s overpriced for what it is.

#8 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

You have to buy some games to play?! What kind of shit is that!

I think it either has to be  a subscription service or a game buying platform. Not both they need to pick one.  

#9 angryemu   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

angryemu

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

If you have good internet, and no data caps, this is basically a high-powered game console. (If it works, that is.) I mean, you have to buy games for any other console you play on.

#10 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   623 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:18 PM

Do keep in mind that it'll require a 35mbps to get the 4k 60fps experience. Also PC Gamer has reported that 65 hours worth of Stadia streaming at 4k will use a terabyte of data.

So basically my entire monthly allotment of data.

Video gaming entities seem to think everyone has unlimited bandwidth.

#11 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   431 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

I'm sure your cable provider would love to sell you a larger data plan.

#12 wratih9   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   321 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

I have it on pre-order as of now since they are not charging until it ships.

I think a lot of core gamers are not looking this the right way and this may not be for them.  This isn't meant for those that want to invest in hardware, they just want to play games.  With a new generation of consoles on the horizon we are looking at a $400-$500 hardware investment before we even buy a game.  Or you are looking at new upgrades for your gaming PC.  With Stadia I give them $10 a month for the right to play next generation games but I don't have to buy hardware. I just buy the games I want to play. I'm not overly worried about the connection issue since most of the impressions I've read from the Assassins Creed trial last year were mostly positive. My internet is fine, I get 145 MB/s and have no caps so I'm good in that regard.

With that being said there are still questions as far as the games.  What games are going to be included with the subscription?  What cost are the games that I buy? I'm expecting them to be cheaper since it's streaming and the game itself isn't be transferred to me. I'm thinking $20-$30 a game since when the Switch had a similar service in Japan, Capcom was charging $30 I believe.  

#13 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   930 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

I think a lot of core gamers are not looking this the right way and this may not be for them.  This isn't meant for those that want to invest in hardware, they just want to play games.  With a new generation of consoles on the horizon we are looking at a $400-$500 hardware investment before we even buy a game.  Or you are looking at new upgrades for your gaming PC.  With Stadia I give them $10 a month for the right to play next generation games but I don't have to buy hardware. I just buy the games I want to play. I'm not overly worried about the connection issue since most of the impressions I've read from the Assassins Creed trial last year were mostly positive. My internet is fine, I get 145 MB/s and have no caps so I'm good in that regard.

With that being said there are still questions as far as the games.  What games are going to be included with the subscription?  What cost are the games that I buy? I'm expecting them to be cheaper since it's streaming and the game itself isn't be transferred to me. I'm thinking $20-$30 a game since when the Switch had a similar service in Japan, Capcom was charging $30 I believe.  

Bandwidth caps are the main concern with this service. Since it's just streaming video essentially, 1080p streaming would be manageable, but 4K would likely eat through my 1TB cap from Comcast easily. I've only ever gone over that limit once. Most major ISPs have a bandwidth cap or an excessive usage policy.

As you say, I would hope they do not price the games at $50-60. If they do, I think this will fail. OnLive worked that way if I recall correctly. It went away due to Sony purchasing their technology, which I imagine is being used for PlayStation Now.

I have one on preorder as well. Interesting concept for sure and pricing seems reasonable for what they have revealed so far.

#14 Dr0p119   Chief Red Thunder CAGiversary!   1444 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

Id think latency would be a big one.

Who wants 100ms lag?

#15 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5016 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:55 PM

Was half tempted to pre-order yesterday, but a couple things occurred to me.

1. What happens if the streaming performance is poor, even if you have fast enough service on paper.

2. Without any sort of hard drive or storage, you are out of luck to do any gaming if your internet provider has an outage.

3. Even more so than Steam, you’re stuck with limited access to your games unless you have the specific Stadia controller and access to high speed internet in the future.

Don’t get me wrong, this is probably where gaming is going (MS already tried when they announce the disc-less Xbox one before rolling that back for a few years), but I’m not sure this is the immediate future of gaming.

Plus Google needs some serious exclusives to make Stadia a realistic contender. Porting over PC games isn’t going to do it for me.

Will be interesting to see how Apple responds, now that Xbox and PS4 controllers work with the Apple TV and they’re rolling out a gaming subscription service this Fall.

#16 chriscolbert   Everything right is wrong again CAGiversary!   3328 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

chriscolbert

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

I feel like I looked through all the fine print but missed this. Can you direct me to where it confirms that?

I'm rooting for this to be awesome. If so it can be a game changer for sure. As someone who just recently started being able to get unlimited data with great speeds I seem to be the target audience.

#17 wratih9   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   321 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:30 PM

I feel like I looked through all the fine print but missed this. Can you direct me to where it confirms that?

I'm rooting for this to be awesome. If so it can be a game changer for sure. As someone who just recently started being able to get unlimited data with great speeds I seem to be the target audience.

It was on the confirmation email when I ordered it.

e4637d82d8b11558edf4f7de95d3b58c.jpg

#18 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2788 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

After finding out that it's not really a Netflix for games, and instead encourages both a subscription service AND digital purchases, I am no longer interested.

#19 CaseX   CAG addict CAGiversary!   2123 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

After finding out that it's not really a Netflix for games, and instead encourages both a subscription service AND digital purchases, I am no longer interested.

This.  You have to buy your own games and so you're basically just paying a subscription for the ability to stream.  They specifically said new games will need to be purchased so that means no new blockbusters in the list of free games; those free games are probably old or lame ones anyways.

#20 ck0  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:05 PM

Some times I wish we could just fast forward a few years to get to the end result.  This is one of those times.

Once the public gets a hold of this thing, they are gonna see all the flaws in full glory.  The initial novelty of playing a game on any Chrome browser is gonna wear fast when the price for this "convenience" is fully experienced by the market.

BTW, I also see a lot of cost comparisons between this and purchasing/owning a console.  What the proponents for Stadia often fail to include in the cost analysis is the resell value of your old console, which is still substantial.

I understand a lot of people see certain entertainment mediums as 'disposable' (music, movies, etc), but games have a higher price of entry, which is why game reselling is still a thing.

With Stadia, xCloud, or general game streaming, you lose just about everything.  The power to exercise trading, selling, lending, ... poof.  But this is what the publishers want. 

Sorry for the soapbox.

#21 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1611 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:23 PM

I think I'll be happy to use the free service to play PC games since my "gaming" laptop from 2 years ago is basically crap. I agree that $10/month may not be worth it.

#22 dorath  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

So, I am not reading what y'all are seeing.
If you have the sub, you get access to free games.  Free being no more out of pocket.
If you have free, you have to buy the license for games you want to play.

https://store.google...ounders_edition

(scroll down about half way to see the breakdown)

#23 JKSonic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2678 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:45 PM

This is one of those things I genuinely hope fails...and fails HARD.  Reason being is if it succeeds it's just too much power, and not only for Google itself, but streaming/digital-only in general.  

#24 CaseX   CAG addict CAGiversary!   2123 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:32 PM

So, I am not reading what y'all are seeing.
If you have the sub, you get access to free games.  Free being no more out of pocket.
If you have free, you have to buy the license for games you want to play.

The sub only gets you access to some free games.  Not everything that is streamable via Stadia.  That list posted by the OP -- those are games that are streamable, not all the games you automatically can play for free if you subscribe.  You have to buy licenses for some games, in particular, for the new ones (like Ghost Recon Breakdown).

#25 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8670 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

Stadia Subscription:
Some free games as long as you're subscribed
Discounts on purchasing games (you will keep these even if you're not subscribed)
You can buy all the games you want for keeps
4K/Surround Sound Streaming
Stadia Free:
You can buy all the games you want for keeps
1080p/Stereo Streaming

Simple, yeah?

#26 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5016 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:42 AM

Would be more impressive if they partnered with Steam but you still had to buy the controller and/or pay for the service. As it stands now, it’s another store ecosystem that requires a new account and won’t carry over if the whole experiment is a failure. Too risky imo

#27 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1626 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:09 AM

It will fail, it has to. People who own a gaming system already this gen don’t need another one that uses mass data and has a subscription model for some games. Those who don’t own a system probably aren’t in the market for one and definitely not waiting for this thing to play doom or rage 2. It’s not mobile, can’t be played without internet and will be limited. For the next gen systems again it’ll fail to compete because they’ll have their separate Xbox or psn ecosystems that people buy into and don’t want to start over on a new one. All the games will be available on their old consoles and there won’t really be a point to buy one.

#28 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:12 AM

This is one of those things I genuinely hope fails...and fails HARD.  Reason being is if it succeeds it's just too much power, and not only for Google itself, but streaming/digital-only in general.  

I fully agree with you. 

#29 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14271 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:51 AM

Gee, it's almost like they learned absolutely nothing from OnLive!

#30 Count Van Ghoul   Past The Mission CAGiversary!   907 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Count Van Ghoul

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

It's almost like the digital air business model is a bad idea...

Excuse me, I'm going to go hug my PS2.