Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS) $25.99/$20.79 GCU at Best Buy

Super Metroid doesn't need one, especially if it sacrifices its pixel art. The only reason they remade this one is because it was the only game in the series outside the original (needs a map) that didn't really hold up. Super though? Damn near perfection, the only way to improve it would be to painstakingly recreate every little detail bringing it into the HD era along with widescreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Metroid doesn't need one, especially if it sacrifices its pixel art. The only reason they remade this one is because it was the only game in the series outside the original (needs a map) that didn't really hold up. Super though? Damn near perfection, the only way to improve it would be to painstakingly recreate every little detail bringing it into the HD era along with widescreen.
Exactly, remake doesn't mean redo, I just want it with higher end graphics and depth like Shadow Complex for example. Samus Returns was an amazing game and the first return to form to Metroid ever since the horrible game that Other M was, so I was glad to see it be good again.

I heard this game can't be played with the D-pad?
Yep, dpad's relegated to ability toggle; it's circlepad only. It's...workable, but I definitely spent the whole game wishing the idiots had let you toggle a "modern/classic" scheme so you could use d-pad controls + a shoulder to aim diagonally like god intended. The analogue controls and free aim REALLY aren't as big a deal, or as necessary in-game, as the devs clearly thought they were.

The lack of control remapping, the stupid fucking amiibo dlc paywall for hardest difficulty (which, predictably, are now edging up in price since the game itself is niche) and a couple of questionable decisions in level design (coating walls where you could sequence break with skilled walljumping with goop just to prevent that and the like) really made the game an 8/10 instead of 10/10 for me. Still very worth playing...buuuuut AM2R's the superior experience, at least IMO. That bad boy blew me away like 5 times in its runtime.

E; also regular mobs are huge damage sponges early game and placed really awkwardly to emphasize the unnecessary counter mechanic; there's no really good way of dealing with them without using it, as shooting them takes ages, you don't have a lot of missiles to go around, and their "counter-able" moves have them zip right over to you the moment you're near, so you can't just run past them either. Kills the pace of early game something fierce; overall feel is that it's a genuinely good game, but also one that's constantly trying to force you to play it in the exact way it wants to be played, and that really put me off.

ymmv but check your local walmart if it's on clearance. Just recently got this game for $16.

IMG-6377.jpg

Wow, my boy got this game, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Dragon Quest 8, and the MegaMan Zero Collection, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for $75 on OfferUp a few weeks back. He gave me MH4, DQ8, and the MMZ Collection.

ymmv but check your local walmart if it's on clearance. Just recently got this game for $16.

IMG-6377.jpg
Just checked my Walmart and it costs $32.84. Oh well. May have to get it on Best Buy

Edit: I went to a second Walmart and they didn't have it at the clearance price either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, remake doesn't mean redo, I just want it with higher end graphics and depth like Shadow Complex for example. Samus Returns was an amazing game and the first return to form to Metroid ever since the horrible game that Other M was, so I was glad to see it be good again.
Yeah but it was still just a remake of a gameboy game is all, it wasnt a new entry or anything.

But be that as it may, I couldn't even beat the 3rd boss and I quit. I hated the god damn controls so much, and the whole hold a button to aim shit ruined it for me and I never went back to it. It just wasnt fun or intuitive at all for me, was a chore to play.

Yeah but it was still just a remake of a gameboy game is all, it wasnt a new entry or anything.

But be that as it may, I couldn't even beat the 3rd boss and I quit. I hated the god damn controls so much, and the whole hold a button to aim shit ruined it for me and I never went back to it. It just wasnt fun or intuitive at all for me, was a chore to play.
Same here, it wasn’t fun to play, enjoyed the soundtrack and the background locations.

An absolute gem. Was not expecting to enjoy it THAT much! As in, dare I say, more than A Link Between Worlds? 🤐

It’s sold out now.

Also, it’s looking like this game might be out of print. The only main retailer that has it in stock online is Walmart. Just glad I grabbed one on Best Buy before it sold out.

It’s sold out now.
Also, it’s looking like this game might be out of print. The only main retailer that has it in stock online is Walmart. Just glad I grabbed one on Best Buy before it sold out.
3DS is on life support, and I doubt Nintendo is much interested in replenishing stock when its focus is now on getting as many Switches in households as possible.

Anyone else remember when these were like $10 for a day while BB messed up their B1G1 deal? You could straight up order them for that price without needing anything added to the order. Detective Pikachu as well; that was a fun day. ;)

bread's done
Back