- - - - -

Groupon Select promo 50% off first purchase (up to $50) Works on Switch Lite YMMV

#1 KevinMassacre   OK USA! CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

KevinMassacre

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:37 PM

So I was looking at Switch Lites on groupon goods because if you join Groupon Select you get 15% off purchases and free shipping for being a member. When I put the Switch Lite in my cart and went to "my cart," a green banner appeared at the top of the screen that said "Get $50 off this item." The promo is actually 50% off your first purchase, up to $50. You have to join Groupon Selects to get the promo. But here is why this may be YMMV. The promo didnt appear at checkout so I did a live chat with customer service and they were super nice and they placed the order for me and applied the $50 promo. The total came to $154.41 charged to my card.

This promo will lock you in to 6 months of groupon select @4.99 a month with the first month free which comes out to $25 spread out over a 5 month period.  My GCU expired and I buy so many games that the 15% off all purchases and free shipping works for me. This may not be for everyone.

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 3.28.08 PM.png

#2 briandadude   Vita + Xbox CAGiversary!   742 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:01 PM

Don't you have to pay $25 to join Groupon Selects?

#3 KevinMassacre   OK USA! CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

KevinMassacre

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:06 PM

My wife joined and it only charged her $4.99 after her free 1 month trial was up. I didnt see anything about a $25 charge, nor was I charged $25. 

#4 Rconnect  

Rconnect

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:21 PM

Thanks, OP! The same thing happened to me. It was $5 to sign up with Selects and it automatically gave me a $30 off coupon. I just got onto chat and explained the situation and they gave me another $20 off since the promo didn't work for me either. 

#5 KevinMassacre   OK USA! CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

KevinMassacre

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

Thanks, OP! The same thing happened to me. It was $5 to sign up with Selects and it automatically gave me a $30 off coupon. I just got onto chat and explained the situation and they gave me another $20 off since the promo didn't work for me either. 

Yep! thats pretty much exactly the same thing that happened to me. Cheers!

#6 sr_388   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   182 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:11 PM

It’s a 6 month membership at $5 a month, so basically yes it’s $25 since the first month is free.

#7 briandadude   Vita + Xbox CAGiversary!   742 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:02 AM

It’s a 6 month membership at $5 a month, so basically yes it’s $25 since the first month is free.

Yep. Be careful everyone. Sounds like you're in for 6 months now.

"† We'll charge your credit card 5 payments of $4.99/month.

After initial 6-month membership, you'll be automatically billed $4.99/month."

https://www.groupon....tm_campaign=FAQ

#8 ray2dee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1662 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

I used this to purchase a Sega genesis Mini last month

#9 KevinMassacre   OK USA! CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

KevinMassacre

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

Yep. Be careful everyone. Sounds like you're in for 6 months now.

"† We'll charge your credit card 5 payments of $4.99/month.

After initial 6-month membership, you'll be automatically billed $4.99/month."

https://www.groupon....tm_campaign=FAQ

If this is the case Im fine with it. My GCU finally expired and I buy so many games for all my consoles that the 15% off all purchases and free shipping is a bonus for me. This may not be for everyone though, so thanks for the update. Im wondering if I wasnt charged the fee because the promo didnt work and I had to go through customer service who just added the promo money as groupon bucks. Im starting to think Im not locked in for 6 months at all. I am going to keep my eye on it. I updated the post.