* * * * - 5 votes

Best Buy Cyber Monday 2019 Deals (Yes, GCU stackable)

switch gcu ps4 xb1 blackfridayhangover

#151 MasterSun1   Already Guilty CAGiversary!   1558 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

1) I think I heard that if any changes are made (like payment changes), it’ll basically drop the GCU discount. Is this true?

Yes, this is true.  This just happened with my Shovel Knight 3-pack of amiibos that I ordered October 2017.  It was tied to a credit card that has since expired.  I got an email on last Friday to update my payment method.  I did so, and it processed the order at the full price of $34.99 instead of the $27.99 I ordered by when I had GCU.  I had to call their Customer Service number to get a credit, but it was a real PITA.  Not to mention I had to call anyways because their self-service for updating payment on the website wasn't even working.  Lastly, the order got delayed from this Tuesday to this Friday because I also updated the shipping address since I moved recently.

#152 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2659 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:30 PM

Paying with Paypal is the best way if you are worried about your card changing.

#153 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14865 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

Paying with Paypal is the best way if you are worried about your card changing.

To be fair, I don't think anyone expected it to take two years for this to be released. Having your money tied up that way in advance isn't worth the small hassle. And while with BB you're safe in doing returns, I've had a few retailers I've had to avoid using Paypal with because in the year nearly 2020, they can't seem to handle a refund in their store if you paid with anything other than cash or credit. It's truly amazing how Christmas time is a litmus test of which retailers have their shit together lol.

#154 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:17 AM

What is this farewell 25% coupon of which you speak?  I put in my final GCU order: a preorder for Animal Crossing.  25% off would be nice.

I have a 25% off toy or collectible coupon but it doesn't seem to work on Amiibo which would be the only thing I'd want to get.

If they had a B2G1 on Amiibo I'd get the 3 Pokemon ones.  But the even with GCU the inflated $15.99 price is too much.

I've got 3 days left on my GCU.  So sad.

#155 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

I've got 3 days left on my GCU.  So sad.

We're pretty much all going to be in this boat in the very near future.  We are coming up on the 2 year anniversary of GCU ending, and anyone that didn't stack years will be here.  I have my suspicions Best Buy will do something to end it completely after 2 years figuring they have minimized compensate and maybe compensate the stackers with reward points to cover it.

The best way to pre-order through Best Buy is with their credit card and pay it off every month if you have a balance since the interest rate is sky high.  That way you don't have to worry about having your general purpose credit tied up in a long term preorder (since they keep pinging an authorization) and you get a reward point bonus.  And you don't have to deal with updated payment methods.

#156 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   3080 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, mine expires on Christmas (talk about your lump of coal). Thinking about making the Persona 5 Royal pre-order even though I am generally opposed to pre-orders.

#157 Awkward Silence  

Awkward Silence

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

I remember one person saying that their GCU stopped working early, or their coupon expired early or something. I would do any orders as soon as possible if I were you.

Yeah, you weren’t kidding about GCU ending early. On that day that it was suppose to run through, when I checked it around 11 - noonish, it already was no longer applying. Luckily, thanks to your warning, I was able to pre-order in-store pickup pretty much every game I could find that I had the least bit of interest in, and with some cancelling and reordering almost all of them were done under PayPal. Doom Eternal Deluxe Edition was the only one I couldn’t change to PayPal, as in-store was no longer available. So hopefully nothing happens to my card from now until March. Knock on wood.

#158 Awkward Silence  

Awkward Silence

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:35 PM

What is this farewell 25% coupon of which you speak? I put in my final GCU order: a preorder for Animal Crossing. 25% off would be nice.

I have a 25% off toy or collectible coupon but it doesn't seem to work on Amiibo which would be the only thing I'd want to get.

If they had a B2G1 on Amiibo I'd get the 3 Pokemon ones. But the even with GCU the inflated $15.99 price is too much.

I've got 3 days left on my GCU. So sad.

Got an email with the subject line “Thank you, [Awkward Silence]. Save 25% on the game of your choice.” on the 3rd of December, so 5 days before my “last” day, so search through your email for that kind of wording.

I would love confirmation that it is indeed good for just the one game, or if it’s good for an entire order.

#159 ritchardf  

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

Got an email with the subject line “Thank you, [Awkward Silence]. Save 25% on the game of your choice.” on the 3rd of December, so 5 days before my “last” day, so search through your email for that kind of wording.

I would love confirmation that it is indeed good for just the one game, or if it’s good for an entire order.

just one game, tried it when my gcu ran out and it only took 25% off the most expensive game

#160 Awkward Silence  

Awkward Silence

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:56 PM

just one game, tried it when my gcu ran out and it only took 25% off the most expensive game

Gotcha. Well that’s good to know.

Now I have until June 8 to fret over and decide which game will be best to use that coupon on. Yaaaay.

#161 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   853 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:21 PM

Gotcha. Well that’s good to know.

Now I have until June 8 to fret over and decide which game will be best to use that coupon on. Yaaaay.

Just remember, the coupon is good for months, but the link to get the coupon expires in a week or so.

#162 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:30 AM

Holy crap, thanks.  I had just cleared out some old emails and I get so much from Best Buy that I tend not to read it.   So I must have deleted it.  Then, for the first time in months, I emptied my deleted mail folder.

Luckily, it was still in the inbox on my phone though - turns out I had gotten it Saturday.   Whew... Does it stack with GCU on preorders?  I wonder if I should re-order Animal Crossing with both or save it for some future usage (and then probably forget about it) since I have till June.

Edit: Yeah, just ordered AC again and got an additional $15 off - so $36 total.  Cancelled my order from the other day.  I still have my GCU for another day or so.   Need to decide if I want to order anything else.  Probably not since I don't get many new release games any more.  I was tempted by FF VII but for sure I'll be able to get that for around $20 by next BF and I wouldn't have time to play it at release anyway.