- - - - -

New Nintendo Switch Lite $139.99 at GameStop Store Closing

#31 deathscythe   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

deathscythe

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

I drove to the store last night that was semi-near me, and they are clearing everything out; no Switch consoles, but it was still worth the visit. All new games for PS4 and XB1 are half off; Switch games new are 30% off. Used games under $20 are buy five for $5. It's the one in GP, TX. 

#32 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1337 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:24 PM

thanks OP. I was able to pick up 2 switch kites.

Will probably trade one for a regular switch plus cash

#33 Rictor   I like big butts... CAGiversary!   2370 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:38 PM

Gamestop needs to close a few stores around here.  Some of them are literally across the street from each other because they bought out other chains and left the stores open.  I imagine we will see a lot more closings soon though, as the move to digital is killing them, not to mention their anti-customer practices they force on their employees.

The stock price keeps dropping as their earnings continue to fall short.  They're placing all their eggs in the new console basket for holiday this year.  If I thought the company/stock had a chance of rebounding, I would be buying it up right now.  It seems like a long shot though.  I think they'll follow Blockbuster into irrelevance.

#34 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5552 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:07 PM

So yeah, what's the cheapest video camera to make a Switch Lite like a regular Switch, with television support/video output?

#35 midloo   User No. 2 CAGiversary!   2163 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:11 PM

Gamestop needs to close a few stores around here.  Some of them are literally across the street from each other because they bought out other chains and left the stores open.  I imagine we will see a lot more closings soon though, as the move to digital is killing them, not to mention their anti-customer practices they force on their employees.

The stock price keeps dropping as their earnings continue to fall short.  They're placing all their eggs in the new console basket for holiday this year.  If I thought the company/stock had a chance of rebounding, I would be buying it up right now.  It seems like a long shot though.  I think they'll follow Blockbuster into irrelevance.

I don't begrudge anyone their interest in frequenting GameStop or taking advantage of their store closing sales.  That being said, I managed an EB Games when GameStop bought them out and the transition was ugly.  I went to working for a company that genuinely gave a few shits about their employees to one that was willing to treat them terribly in order to squeeze out a few more percentage points of profit.  Probably why they won out, but they were a rotten company 20 years ago.  Hopefully they've improved.  

Regardless....  If their business ends, I'll personally smile a little smile. 

#36 starscream615   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

starscream615

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:29 PM

Thats not accurate.

If it's not accurate then decisions like that, to sell new systems at a huge loss, will cause it to come true.

#37 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2799 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:54 PM

Clearing out all their used stuff at steep discounts makes sense to me because they didn't pay full price for that stuff but selling brand new consoles and games that already have slim margins at a loss just to avoid transferring them to another store is crazy.

#38 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1158 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

No matter how I feel about the company or even some unpleasant individual employees/experiences, GameStop employs a lot of people and a lot of folks are going to lose their jobs when they close down. That stinks.

#39 Adhiman   Banned Banned   318 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Adhiman

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

Thinking of buying a Switch controller just for modding.

#40 Rodster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1867 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:25 PM

I don't begrudge anyone their interest in frequenting GameStop or taking advantage of their store closing sales.  That being said, I managed an EB Games when GameStop bought them out and the transition was ugly.  I went to working for a company that genuinely gave a few shits about their employees to one that was willing to treat them terribly in order to squeeze out a few more percentage points of profit.  Probably why they won out, but they were a rotten company 20 years ago.  Hopefully they've improved.  

Regardless....  If their business ends, I'll personally smile a little smile. 

I certainly won't cry knowing some of their business practices. But what really took them over the edge was Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo selling directly to the customer. You can now find great deals on digital games and now Microsoft is pushing Game Pass Ultimate (and they have converted me). Videogaming is going digital, it just happened a lot sooner than Gamestop expected.

#41 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:29 PM

Damn, mine are all successful

#42 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

Not a single one closing in Oregon. Damn. There are 4 within, like, 5 miles of each other. How are they all avoiding the ban hammer?! lol

#43 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5729 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

I went to 2 closing stores today and neither accepted trade credit or gift cards. They still had plenty of Switch Lites. They're not popular? I thought a cheapie Switch would go fast. I picked one up.

#44 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2356 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:50 PM

those of you picking up things like a switch lite - were they showing up on the app as in stock? 

a few weeks back pretty much everything at the closing store stopped showing in stock. Not sure if its because they pulled all the stock off the tracker, to stop people trying to do in store pickup etc. 

some stuff would make sense, but they still had many overpriced items that I wouldnt have thought would be sold.

#45 eminemobied12   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1101 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

eminemobied12

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:20 PM

those of you picking up things like a switch lite - were they showing up on the app as in stock?

a few weeks back pretty much everything at the closing store stopped showing in stock. Not sure if its because they pulled all the stock off the tracker, to stop people trying to do in store pickup etc.

some stuff would make sense, but they still had many overpriced items that I wouldnt have thought would be sold.

Hopefully I can save you some time. The online stock for closing stores is not accurate at all. I have 3 stores in my vicinity closing. 1 is just moving their stuff to another store, 2 others are liquidating everything. The 2 liquidating stores had various things as being In Stock online, but wasn't in the store. The 2 games I did buy (old DS games) were not showing as in Stock online.

Both stores have Xbox One's and PS4's, but online shows no stock. Online claims both have Switch Lite's and neither actually has had any for days evidently.

#46 JJSP   Not Broke, Just Bent CAGiversary!   10180 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:27 PM

Can I use trade credit to buy stuff at the closing stores?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Doubtful, as every liquidation sale has been cash/credit only.

#47 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1493 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:25 AM

The closing stores are selling the $19.99 pre-owned games for 5 for $5. I thought it was $5 each. Wow.

#48 WWF   Yours Forever Faithfully Silenced   1117 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:39 AM

Is it true they all dont accept gift cards or trade credit

#49 mojoaoe  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:51 AM

Luckily I was able to use store credit. Sucks I just foundout about the sale today or else I would’ve shown up on Friday when it started.

#50 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:06 AM

Where I went tonight it was:

50% off all used consoles and new games

60% off all used games

70% off all accessories, collectables, t-shirts etc.

Managed to pick up a Switch lite for $140 and copies of Splatoon and Pokken Tournament for $5 each. The store was dead and woman working there was very nice. We talked f for half an hour and she ended up letting me have 3 huge banners of Fortnite, Spider-Man, and Sword and Shield. Also picked up a few plastic display banners for the PS4 and Xbone. 

They were also selling all the shelves, hangars, and glass display cases for extremely cheap. She told me that most of them actually sold yesterday. There was also a Switch kiosk that was sold for $30, about an hour before I got there. 

Will post pics later.

#51 starscream615   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

starscream615

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:42 AM

Anyone feel like picking up a blue switch lite for the wife and shipping it?

#52 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2356 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:21 AM

I came back from one near me.

I got a turquoise switch lite and about 30 or so games in the 5 for $5 deal.

Great sale. Might go to a couple more out of the way to see what I can find.

#53 s0undwav3   Report Lazerbeak! CAGiversary!   553 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

If I could go back in time and had millions of $$ back then, I would have stopped them from buying up EB Games.  I loved those stores, I found so much stuff that no other store sold, and they actually had super deals especially at the end of each quarter.  And especially after Xmas.  Gamestop has been a bad monopoly for the entire gaming market in the USA.  And unfortunately too many people still feed the beast and trade in their used stuff for pennies on the dollar for them to turn around, throw away essential stuff and sell the discs for like near brand new prices for games.  

I knew this would be the start of the end when most of the big players, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo all said the same thing - digital content is where they wanted developers to go.  Kinda hard to resell digital codes eh Gamestop?  

Anyway the Herndon store the manager is still a prick so I am not even sure I will go and venture out and see what deals that store has.  If anyone has, report back please!

#54 JJSP   Not Broke, Just Bent CAGiversary!   10180 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:33 PM

Anyone feel like picking up a blue switch lite for the wife and shipping it?

This, but grey.

#55 vyt219  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:45 AM

Anyone pick up a copy of Pokken on the Switch they want to get rid of ?

#56 starscream615   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

starscream615

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

Anyone pick up a copy of Pokken on the Switch they want to get rid of ?

Is that hard to find or something?

#57 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

I was not planning on getting a switch lite, but when I saw that it was $140 last week, I bit. This thing is great! The image is sharper and I can hold it longer without my hands cramping up (without a grip accessory.) It is also really nice to have a more portable portable than my OG switch.

#58 G_money   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:12 PM

Are any of the closing stores selling joy cons for cheaper? I wanna pick up another set for my kids to use for just dance and Mario party

#59 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5729 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

I was not planning on getting a switch lite, but when I saw that it was $140 last week, I bit. This thing is great! The image is sharper and I can hold it longer without my hands cramping up (without a grip accessory.) It is also really nice to have a more portable portable than my OG switch.

I'm interested in hearing your perspective as an OG Switch owner. I wanted to pick one up, but they only had Switch Lite, so I settled for that. For a first-time owner, do you think it would have been worth the $70 difference? (Switch would have been $210 at closing stores.) I'm worried about the stick drift problem on the Lite since I obviously can't replace them easily like you can with detachable Joy-cons. The sticks feel so flimsy that I feel like it's only a matter of time before they start causing issues for me.

I also really wanted to try out RingFit, but that would be another $80 on top of the already $70 difference. I'm actually a fan of kinetic gaming, but it doesn't look like the motion games have improved that much since Wii or Kinect.

#60 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

thanks OP. I was able to pick up 2 switch kites.

Will probably trade one for a regular switch plus cash

Who is going to give you a regular Switch plus cash for just a Switch Lite?