- - - - -

New Nintendo Switch Lite $139.99 at GameStop Store Closing

#61 Adhiman   Banned Banned   318 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Adhiman

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

Who is going to give you a regular Switch plus cash for just a Switch Lite?

Uh they definitely meant they give the Switch lite + cash lol

#62 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:16 PM

I'm interested in hearing your perspective as an OG Switch owner. I wanted to pick one up, but they only had Switch Lite, so I settled for that. For a first-time owner, do you think it would have been worth the $70 difference? (Switch would have been $210 at closing stores.) I'm worried about the stick drift problem on the Lite since I obviously can't replace them easily like you can with detachable Joy-cons. The sticks feel so flimsy that I feel like it's only a matter of time before they start causing issues for me.

I also really wanted to try out RingFit, but that would be another $80 on top of the already $70 difference. I'm actually a fan of kinetic gaming, but it doesn't look like the motion games have improved that much since Wii or Kinect.

I see this as complementary device to my big Switch. I plan on buying the rumored (but very likely) switch "pro that will be coming out mid-year. Some people ONLY play handheld, and if that is you - go for it.

Nintendo has fantastic customer service. So, I wouldn't worry about analog sticks too much since they will make free repairs within 1 year of purchase. I've only had one joy-con start drifting on me in my time as a switch owner (3 years?) The only concern with warranty repairs is that they might give you a replacement switch, which means you will lose your save data on some games like Pokémon, Minecreaft, or Splatoon 2, etc even if you ahve cloud backups.

At $140, odds are high that you will be able to take advantage of a GameStop trade-in promo to get your money back as well.

I personally got the 2-year replacement plan for $30 through GameStop, so if it "accidentally" dies just before 2 years is up -  I can get a new one.

#63 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3378 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

Im really surprised there are none in my area.  We have 5 really close to each other.

#64 zanderlex  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:11 PM

Yesterday I picked up Pokemon Y for $1.69 and one of their TV's for $35.

I'm gonna pick up Risk of Rain 2 today and I'm gonna go to another store to see what they have.

#65 Dark Rider   The Bus Guy CAGiversary!   2889 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

You guys are getting way different deals than me (NC). Preowned was 60%, New was 50%, and t-shirts/collectible was 70%. The store was pretty much 80% t-shirts and backpacks at this point. Almost all of the games were cleaned out. 

#66 Darkbandit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   28 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Darkbandit

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

I’d just like to be able to reach the store that is close to me to see if they have any switches left in stock before I make a trip. The website says yes, but it could be wrong.

#67 RoytheRobot   El Piraguero. CAGiversary!   2581 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

RoytheRobot

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:43 PM

You guys are getting way different deals than me (NC). Preowned was 60%, New was 50%, and t-shirts/collectible was 70%. The store was pretty much 80% t-shirts and backpacks at this point. Almost all of the games were cleaned out.

Same.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

#68 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

I’d just like to be able to reach the store that is close to me to see if they have any switches left in stock before I make a trip. The website says yes, but it could be wrong.

I don't think they've sold their phones yet.

#69 Moses144   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

The closing Gamestop in Quakertown, PA not only didn't have a Switch Lite, they had no Switch games left at all in any format and were picked clean of almost everything else. Not worth the drive over unless you want shelves, I guess.

#70 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5729 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:13 PM

That's the deal in most closing stores. The 5 for $5 for $20 and under games is the exception. Did your store accept trade credit/gift cards? Mine didn't.

#71 Dark Rider   The Bus Guy CAGiversary!   2889 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

That's the deal in most closing stores. The 5 for $5 for $20 and under games is the exception. Did your store accept trade credit/gift cards? Mine didn't.

I actually asked the employee if they still take trade credit. The employee was very confused about what I was talking about, he kept reiterating they don't accept trades anymore (obviously lol).

I explained that the trade credit is like a gift card and he said that they are still taking gift cards... so I would assume my store was taking them, but I didn't actually buy anything. I didn't need Overwatch cereal. 

Edit: Also, my store still had an Xbox One X for $350 and an Xbox SAD for $175. Both around BF prices. No switches, though there were probably less than a half dozen switch and 3DS games left. 

#72 Darkbandit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   28 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Darkbandit

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:03 PM

I don't think they've sold their phones yet.

Ha, whenever I have tried to call they haven’t answered

#73 mchittumjr  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

Catonsville MD store pretty much cleaned out except sports games and collectibles. They did have an X1X for $350 and all digital for $175.

#74 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2356 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

picked up another 40 odd games last night for a buck a pop.

again, I live for these types of deals - cannot beat 1 dollar a game.

Reminds me of that ps2 sale from years back - when they were selling ten 99cent games for a dollar 

I wonder how low the xbox's will get? currently at 30% off its just essentially matching the winter sales prices.

Im not sure if they will get past 50% off.

#75 Adhiman   Banned Banned   318 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Adhiman

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

picked up another 40 odd games last night for a buck a pop.

again, I live for these types of deals - cannot beat 1 dollar a game.

Reminds me of that ps2 sale from years back - when they were selling ten 99cent games for a dollar 

I wonder how low the xbox's will get? currently at 30% off its just essentially matching the winter sales prices.

Im not sure if they will get past 50% off.

How many of those games weren’t just utter trash though?

#76 wratih9   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

Went to the two in the Kansas City area and one had mostly collectibles which I did pick up a couple of shirts.  The other one I hit the jackpot on .  I was able to get a Switch Lite for $140, They had $20 and under used games 5 for $5, and I picked up a used game on the Switch for $9. Mark for Death or something along those lines.  I also ended up buying a ton of their wire shelving for a $1 a shelf which should allow me to revamp my game room to something that is cohesive and I have plenty of room to grow.

#77 OMGitsArthur   omgitsarthur CAGiversary!   2 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

OMGitsArthur

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

Went to the two in the Kansas City area and one had mostly collectibles which I did pick up a couple of shirts. The other one I hit the jackpot on . I was able to get a Switch Lite for $140, They had $20 and under used games 5 for $5, and I picked up a used game on the Switch for $9. Mark for Death or something along those lines. I also ended up buying a ton of their wire shelving for a $1 a shelf which should allow me to revamp my game room to something that is cohesive and I have plenty of room to grow.

Which location besides the one in KCMO zona rosa?

#78 wratih9   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

Which location besides the one in KCMO zona rosa?

Leawood Town Center. They had at least one more Switch light if you were looking for that as of an hour or so ago.

#79 OMGitsArthur   omgitsarthur CAGiversary!   2 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

OMGitsArthur

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

Did you just walk in to check out if it was closing or is there another list of more/different GS closings?

#80 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2356 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:37 PM

How many of those games weren’t just utter trash though?

none of them were old sports games if thats what you mean. There was some decent stuff - Doom, Dishonored 2, a couple of Lego games, etc etc. 

#81 wratih9   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:15 AM

Did you just walk in to check out if it was closing or is there another list of more/different GS closings?

When I was at the Zona Rosa location they mentioned the Leawood location. It wasn’t listed on the blog spot in Rictors post ( 3rd post in this thread). The guy at Zona told me they had less stuff left than what he did which was true for the most part. I was mostly looking for a Vita which they ended up selling an hour before I got there.

#82 theghost4413   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

theghost4413

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

I see this as complementary device to my big Switch. I plan on buying the rumored (but very likely) switch "pro that will be coming out mid-year. Some people ONLY play handheld, and if that is you - go for it.

Nintendo has fantastic customer service. So, I wouldn't worry about analog sticks too much since they will make free repairs within 1 year of purchase. I've only had one joy-con start drifting on me in my time as a switch owner (3 years?) The only concern with warranty repairs is that they might give you a replacement switch, which means you will lose your save data on some games like Pokémon, Minecreaft, or Splatoon 2, etc even if you ahve cloud backups.

At $140, odds are high that you will be able to take advantage of a GameStop trade-in promo to get your money back as well.

I personally got the 2-year replacement plan for $30 through GameStop, so if it "accidentally" dies just before 2 years is up -  I can get a new one.

I would agree and I am an OG Switch gamer, that converted to a Switch Lite. It really depends on how you intend to play. From the sounds of it you may have benefited more from a traditional Switch because of some of the games that you like to play and the fact that you can put it on the TV. Games like Ring Fit are really tough on the Lite with the small screen AND you have to either own already or buy a set of joy-cons which completely kills the value of the system. 

I only play in handheld mode, but that's the biggest appeal to me. It working the way it does is exactly why I was always so excited for the Switch since its announcement. I like the feel of durability the Lite brings and I have had a Switch since launch and never experienced Drift. It can happen of course but it really also depends how much time you are playing and the stress that you put on the sticks. 

Just my two cents.

#83 searobbins   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   26 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

searobbins

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

I went into a closing store the other day. They actually had a bunch of switch games left, used and new. 50-125 copies!
But, employees were keeping them for themselves. And, I'm kinda ok with that.
What pissed me off though?
All of the games were stashed.
I asked if any one working there would want one of the many many copies of ugly dolls or the princess game. He laughed "no".
I asked "can I buy some of those" - "sure"
Told him that I expect them to stash some stuff.
Not putting out the other stuff though.
Told him, you guys are jerks.

The next store I went to had a big list of what they had left for switch.
Crossed of stuff as it sold.

#84 segasonic128   Segasonic CAGiversary!   532 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

segasonic128

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

glad to see gamestop is closing their stores, never liked shopping there, ever.          RIP gamestop.     

#85 s0undwav3   Report Lazerbeak! CAGiversary!   553 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:21 AM

The Herndon VA store was horders galore.  Most of the employees were hiding stuff behind their counter.  Told me there were no consoles left except used Xboxes were all 50% off but I will never buy an Xbox because of the stupid RROD back with Xbox 360 (went through 8 with default MS warranty, never again), and they had new consoles but they stored them out of sight or they thought.  Also they tore all the plastic off new game copies, and put stupid gamestop stickers even all over the new game cases.  not worth anything, the trip was a waste of time.

#86 ElvisTheGreat   Daddy CAG Veteran   74 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

ElvisTheGreat

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:25 AM

The Herndon VA store was horders galore. Most of the employees were hiding stuff behind their counter. Told me there were no consoles left except used Xboxes were all 50% off but I will never buy an Xbox because of the stupid RROD back with Xbox 360 (went through 8 with default MS warranty, never again), and they had new consoles but they stored them out of sight or they thought. Also they tore all the plastic off new game copies, and put stupid gamestop stickers even all over the new game cases. not worth anything, the trip was a waste of time.

Had considered going but it's like a 35 minute drive. Thanks for the update!

#87 markn80   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:19 AM

Anyone went to the Chula Vista, CA location recently? Wondering if it’s worth the drive.

#88 Umyhoneycomb  

Umyhoneycomb

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:18 AM

Anyone visit the NJ locations?

#89 now1   Banned Banned   200 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:27 AM

I went to Chula Vista and the person working was being a punk, and said they didn’t have any switches even though I just called the store a half and hour earlier and another associate said they had them and no one besides one other person was there so we almost got into a fight other this nonsense.

#90 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   8765 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:20 AM

no store closings in MI?

meh