* * * * * 1 votes

JJGames.com is going under - just a PSA

jjgames

#31 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   475 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:58 AM

i remember them having a bad habit of listing a game that looked nice with a nice clean label, labeling it as either acceptable or good, and then saying in the description that the picture is only a sample, and that there's 6 available. iirc their website has more separated listings, but for some reason their website also had even HIGHER prices than their ebay page.

#32 maverick15511  

maverick15511

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:09 PM

I took time to search out quite a few video games yesterday and it seems like anything that is decent is eBay price or above. Is this even a going-out-of-business sale? Has anyone seen anything that's actually worth buying on the site?

#33 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23547 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

i remember them having a bad habit of listing a game that looked nice with a nice clean label, labeling it as either acceptable or good, and then saying in the description that the picture is only a sample, and that there's 6 available. iirc their website has more separated listings, but for some reason their website also had even HIGHER prices than their ebay page.

A lot of sellers do that. Worse are the ones that show a game in a nice box and say it's a stock picture... no it fucking isn't! 

#34 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   764 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

I took time to search out quite a few video games yesterday and it seems like anything that is decent is eBay price or above. Is this even a going-out-of-business sale? Has anyone seen anything that's actually worth buying on the site?

There was some deals: dragon warrior cobi was 7.80 it’s easily a $20 game. Grand theft auto gbc was 6 it’s a $15 game and harvest moon gbc was 7 again a other $15 game....gradius collection and ultimate ghouls n ghosts for psp complete with “instructions” isn’t a bad deal either

Dokapon advance is a deal too.

#35 S31Ender   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   94 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:25 AM

Regarding the pricing.
They really can’t blame digital. A massive company like GameStop for sure.

But on the smaller niche retro-market, as long as you’re in a city, you just need to buy in 100 percent to the culture and then also not try to rip-off your base.

Pink Gorilla Games in Seattle is an excellent example. (Formerly Pink Godzilla Games)

They have two thriving locations in the same city and they sell a lot.

They also have reasonable prices and cater to the retro game crew. The demand from that combo in a city is so high they don’t even need to sell online. But I’ll bet if someone ran an online shop with that much attention they would do ok.

It just isn’t going to work on the level of hundreds of stores like GameStop.

#36 RubMySweatyThighsPls  

RubMySweatyThighsPls

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:15 PM

Missed out on that Persona Psp copy 

#37 CheapAssPizza  

CheapAssPizza

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:48 AM

Just a heads up, the FB page says the site officially shuts down tonight at 9pm PST/12am EST

#38 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1462 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:52 AM

Just a heads up, the FB page says the site officially shuts down tonight at 9pm PST/12am EST

Thanks for heads up, much appreciated. I wonder if they'll try to sell off the remaining inventory through their eBay store or if they'll shut that down also.

Edit: I got my copy of Blur for PS3 today. It's in great condition and they put in a slim CD case and packed the paper sleeve with it.

#39 Kpjcelj   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   105 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:30 AM

I thought in the last couple of minutes they might put their items on like a 30 percent off sale or something. Their prices were still as high as ebay. 15 for a loose copy of need for speed ps4, LOL.

#40 Oregon   CAG Collector CAGiversary!   2219 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:34 AM

Comodo hacker proof 

#41 ritchardf  

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:44 AM

JJGames.com is closed. Thank you for 20 years of business.

JJGames.com website will sell video games again in the near future, but under different ownership.

reminds me of a furniture store around here called wickers, it has gone out of business about 4 or 5 times, they just pack up and open in some other part of town with a slightly different name.

#42 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1462 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:13 AM

JJGames.com is closed. Thank you for 20 years of business.

JJGames.com website will sell video games again in the near future, but under different ownership.

reminds me of a furniture store around here called wickers, it has gone out of business about 4 or 5 times, they just pack up and open in some other part of town with a slightly different name.

That sounds like what's going on here. Maybe the former owner sold it to a good friend or business group that were willing take over and they'll rebrand it. It will be interesting to see how things are run under the new ownership.

The owner of local retro gaming store where I live had opened a second location. After a couple of years splitting his time between stores he decided to sell the second location to a good friend and maintain ownership of the original store.

#43 Degausser  

Degausser

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

Wow, that was fast. I guess they decided to either sell it off in bulk or on ebay. No way they went through all of their inventory in matter of a week.

#44 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1103 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

Wow, that was fast. I guess they decided to either sell it off in bulk or on ebay. No way they went through all of their inventory in matter of a week.

on facebook they posted that they where closing on the 1/22

#45 Thrillh0  

Thrillh0

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

Something didn't seem right about them truly going out of business. They advertised daily price drops until everything sells, so I had saved a bunch of games in my ebay cart and was waiting to see if I could get them at a certain price point. There were no price drops. Some of the games actually went up in price. 

#46 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

Something didn't seem right about them truly going out of business. They advertised daily price drops until everything sells, so I had saved a bunch of games in my ebay cart and was waiting to see if I could get them at a certain price point. There were no price drops. Some of the games actually went up in price. 

I believe the price drops only applied to the games sold through their website, not Ebay.

#47 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   764 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:11 PM

They had price drops daily on the website I had games in my cart and they would go down daily

#48 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2776 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:12 PM

I picked up 7 N64 games for $28 that came today. Couldn't find anything for SNES that I absolutely needed at their prices.

#49 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7069 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

JJ Games will be Rian Games for a couple years but dont worry, they'll bring JJ back and it'll have a ton of retconning and nonsense. 

#50 RunningMan  

RunningMan

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for heads up, much appreciated. I wonder if they'll try to sell off the remaining inventory through their eBay store or if they'll shut that down also.

Edit: I got my copy of Blur for PS3 today. It's in great condition and they put in a slim CD case and packed the paper sleeve with it.

blur was such a fun game, not sure about p3, but on the x360, 4 player split screen was a blast

#51 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1462 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:04 AM

blur was such a fun game, not sure about p3, but on the x360, 4 player split screen was a blast

I'm the exact opposite, lol. I've played it off and on PS3 and have yet to play it on X360. I actually plan on finishing it this time. It's easily one of my favorite arcade racing games.

Someone at a local game store was interested in for 360 and asked what it's like. The employee and I basically said if Mario Kart and Need for Speed had a baby, Blur would be it.

Edited by GamerSavage, 23 January 2020 - 01:05 AM.

#52 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2162 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:44 AM

Blur was my first CAG deal.  Got it for $10 about a month after release with a coupon from Blizzard that stacked with a sale at Best Buy.

Really fun game!

#53 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4367 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:05 AM

Got my 360 copy of Midnight Club LA Remix and PS3 copy of UFC Undisputed 2010 since that has BD-quality fights on it for $22 or so total. Not too shabby.

#54 Degausser  

Degausser

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:55 PM

What's facebook?

#55 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1103 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:41 PM

What's facebook?

https://www.facebook...?epa=SEARCH_BOX

#56 Yata no Kagami   Banned Banned   59 Posts   Joined 0.9 Years Ago  

Yata no Kagami

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:47 AM

where

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

#57 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1462 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:00 AM

The only reason I haven't shut this down is because I want to hear from others who ordered from them before they closed.

#58 Lord Draconus777   Free fajitas for all! CAGiversary!   603 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Lord Draconus777

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:28 AM

Well, I got a copy of Rogue Galaxy for ~$5.50 for PS2, here's to hoping it's not disc only!

#59 FireDrakeZ  

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:03 AM

Unfortunately I missed the sale. Any good deals that I missed for Xbox 360 or OG Xbox games.

#60 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

The only reason I haven't shut this down is because I want to hear from others who ordered from them before they closed.

I ordered seven NES carts from them last week. Shipping quality was meh, they were stuffed into a single padded envelope that arrived with bits of tears due to the bulk strain. No damage to the carts though. The games themselves looked exactly like the condition they were presented on the website's photos. In fact, some of the games looked a little cleaner than when they were initially photographed. So overall I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.