PS4 PRO 299 @amazon

1. You don't know the price of PS5
2. You don't know the BC capability yet
3. The PS5 price will drop in three years; now is a terrible time to wait 9 months to buy one.

Derp
1. anything over $500 and sony is done

2. if they leave out ps4 BC sony is done

3. i dont even understand this, terrible time to wait 9 months to buy something that is out in, 9 months? 3 year wait for same tech versus 9 month wait for upgraded tech? not sure what your point is here.

I usually wait a couple years to buy a new system, game will be cheaper and developers wont' be rushed to meet launch games.  Besides PS5 Pro > vanilla.

Pretty sure this November I'm just going to be sitting back riding out Games Pass on X1X. I've seen zero reason to upgrade anything from anyone.

Just a caution right before a system launch to buy older hardware, so I agree in unless you want to play PS4 games now just wait a bit. Least it's a pretty good price for a PS4 Pro.

There's really two audiences: people who are true cheap ass gamers, and people who get pressured into getting the newest consoles for streaming or some other MLG thing.

But the Pro has been $300 for the past two holiday seasons. I bought mine in 2018 and haven't used it much.

Is there a decal that will make this thing look like an ice cream sandwich?  If only I had the $300, I'd be all over this.

Edit:  Ewww...it's $350 now.  Who was originally selling this for $300/who did Amazon pricematch?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I considered buying a PS4 pro was when Death Stranding Pro was $300, missed out and glad I did. PS5 is just around the corner. Say goodbye to long loading screens.

The problem with the PS5 launch is the component shortages which basically get taken away from the system along with higher cost sourced components/architecture. I don't think the launch PS5 is going to be what they wanted to put out because of the problems acquiring what they wanted, and having to raise the price just to get what they can. They should have waited until December for release to see if those extra few months could have made a difference.

Even if Xbox Series X YZ123 launches earlier it's not the favored system and I'd rather Sony put out the best possible hardware from the start. Either way we're likely in for another mid-system upgrade if that's the case. They were going to include that mirrorless camera with the system but outside of VR enhancement I think it wouldn't serve a purpose for most people. Sony is better off leaving it out and saving it for future integration.

As for the Pro, $300 is the price is should be standard but they want the base PS4 at that price for as long as they can. If GameStop was doing the $50 bonus system trade-in credit I would be tempted because we don't have concrete specifics on PS5's backwards compatibility. I really prefer hardware BC over software but they say that costs more, and if the PS5 enhances games as well if not better than the Pro there is no reason to get the Pro. Of course the Pro only plays PS4 games though.

Sony doesn't want to reveal too much too soon because then they're going to be stuck with what they say, and if it doesn't end up being the end case that's how quickly customers will flip on them.

Weird, I thought I was as cheapassgamer, not this other site where paying full price for an unproven launch model is somehow a good deal in any way, shape, or form.
problem is cheap isnt always better. you buy a ps4 pro for $300 now, then wait til the ps5 is down to $300. you just paid $100 more than that early adopter that waited for the ps5 and got the ability to play both for $500.

2. You don't know the BC capability yet
It is planned to be backward compatible with the PS4. Source is Wired, via Mark Cerney:

"Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console."

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Bill of materials for PS5 is supposed to be 450 or so after accounting for recent price increases, this suggests a $500 launch price. (PS4's was 380 and PS3's was well over 600)

If you want a PS4 pro wait 9 months instead and get a PS5 for effectively 200 more plus tax.

bread's done
Back