Ys: Memories of Celceta Timeless Adventurer Edition (PS 4) - $24.99 - Amazon & Best Buy

folnevar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I had been waiting and hoping for a sale on this. It was $24.99 at Best Buy the other night, but not available for shipping. Amazon had it for $29.99 at the time. I notified Amazon, hoping they would bite at the lower price, and it shot back up tp $39.99 instead! Well, it's back to $24.99, and currently available, at both sites. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B083YNBN53/?coliid=I12118KQ1YE54Q&colid=1HU00E93RHUOW&psc=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ys-memories-of-celceta-timeless-adventurer-edition-playstation-4/6401990.p?skuId=6401990

First time posting a deal here. Hope it works. Thanks!

Man, I really want to get this. I really enjoyed all the PSP and Vita Ys games, this being no exception but I always hate buying a game again unless there's some notable improvement. On the other hand, it seems like more and more that niche games just suddenly disappear from all stores overnight and become impossible to find. 

That's why I bought this at launch and now I feel like an idiot. I figured $39.99 was cheap enough and it comes in some cool looking special packaging so why not? Now the same thing is $24.99 and I haven't even opened it yet. But then there's cases where I wait for something to drop and it ends up going permanently OOS and I screw myself over so you never really know what to expect.
Yep, I did the same. Paid $40 at launch and still haven't opened it. You win some, you lose some.

That's why I bought this at launch and now I feel like an idiot. I figured $39.99 was cheap enough and it comes in some cool looking special packaging so why not? Now the same thing is $24.99 and I haven't even opened it yet. But then there's cases where I wait for something to drop and it ends up going permanently OOS and I screw myself over so you never really know what to expect.
Yep, I did the same. Paid $40 at launch and still haven't opened it. You win some, you lose some.
I didn't even notice this had extras. From what I see, the game looks and runs better (might be an obvious statement but we've seen cases where a release on a more powerful system is actually worse) and I feel like a DS4 is way more comfortable than using a Vita. For $25 for the game plus some bonus goods, I think I'm just gonna buy it so I don't deal with FOMO later.

Nice find on a good package.

I will say that despite very slight visual improvements, it's still very much playing a vita game on ps4.  Haven't spent much time with my copy beyond getting that initial feel.  Might get to it if I finish Cold Steel IV before cyberpunk's release.

Don't mind paying full price at all if it contributes to supporting Falcom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Ys VIII never really went down in price for PS4 and then just poof, gone.
Ugh, don't remind me. I walked past a copy for $40 at GS and the next time I saw a copy was on eBay for $65 or something before COVID. I just stopped looking after that.

Yeah we've all felt this way before, but then you realize that only one things matters. Did you feel like you got good value for your money when you bought it? If the answer to that question is yes, then no worries. You also state that you had some concern that it could go out of stock at the time. Based on this info, I think you made a wise decision and should not feel like an idiot. You guaranteed yourself a copy by paying full price at launch and, in my opinion, that peace of mind is worth far more than a measly 15 dollar discount. You can also be happy that you showed great support for the developers by buying their game at launch. Hopefully, such support will result in more amazing Ys games in the future.

Ugh, don't remind me. I walked past a copy for $40 at GS and the next time I saw a copy was on eBay for $65 or something before COVID. I just stopped looking after that.
Just get a new PAL copy. This is why being region free matters.

Problem is needing another account/money if you want DLC. Might as well just wait for a digital sale
Except for YS 8, there is no DLC that you need to beat the game. Most of the DLC can be got through the game. It's only costumes. Also, if you're a physical media person, then this is the sort of non-DLC dependent game that's perfect for import.

Oh I already have 2 sealed copies of Ys VIII for PS4 (regular and limited edition).  I just need a copy to play

Just get a new PAL copy. This is why being region free matters.
Hate to say it but I'm more collector than gamer. While I do want to play Ys VIII, I like my collection to match as much as possible. The only time I buy games is if the import version is better in some way. But not gonna lie, it seems like more and more games are being short-printed in NA and the PAL copy is cheaper/more available.

Hate to say it but I'm more collector than gamer. While I do want to play Ys VIII, I like my collection to match as much as possible. The only time I buy games is if the import version is better in some way. But not gonna lie, it seems like more and more games are being short-printed in NA and the PAL copy is cheaper/more available.
I suppose I'm not getting the part about "matching" in your collection. You mean having all NA region? I don't see why that matters with a region free console. There is literally no difference between the games.

I suppose I'm not getting the part about "matching" in your collection. You mean having all NA region? I don't see why that matters with a region free console. There is literally no difference between the games.
That's exactly it, trying to keep my collection all NA region. And it might not matter to some but it mattes to me.

Funniest part is that when Sony changed the spine for their PS3 games, that...didn't bother me a bit. And yet I hate "value" releases (Greatest Hits, Nintendo Selects, etc.).

I'm probably insane.

Worst thing is the Blue banner PS3 caee, and the worst part is they eventually went back to the black case.

attachicon.gif
ta9djtd10vg31.jpg
I wasn't aware catherine had the partial black ps3 print instead of the blue. But wouldn't that just be a style choice of the publisher? Looking at a lot of the covers it seems like a total hodge podge now that you mention it.

Man, I really want to get this. I really enjoyed all the PSP and Vita Ys games, this being no exception but I always hate buying a game again unless there's some notable improvement. On the other hand, it seems like more and more that niche games just suddenly disappear from all stores overnight and become impossible to find.
The graphics and textures are higher res, forget the specifics but NIS talked about them on their launch stream on Twitch. Game also uses the same trophy list as the Vita version.

Yeah, Ys VIII never really went down in price for PS4 and then just poof, gone.
I think NIS games are becoming what Atlus games were back in the past; if you want it physical you better buy at or near launch and if you wait for a sale, you may end up missing out on physical copies. BB and Amazon were the only two retailers to carry this and Rune Factor 4 on Switch.

I made a topic days ago about this game for $24.99 on Amazon, no one replied to it. Guess because it's an old port with no additional content besides graphics being boosted slightly (very slight) = no one interested. I have the Vita LE version still sealed and played it there. No real desire to play this again, but I bought it on PS4 anyway.

They really should port Ys Seven or even Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim to PS4/Switch.

Back to 39.99 on Amazon and BB
I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on this one. I asked about YS 8 and that one sounds interesting, with also better production values closer to what we expect for PS4. This one looks like a ported Vita release with no material enhancements.

Is this one really any good? I might reconsider when it drops again, but honestly, hard to get interested in a dated game with no quality of life improvements, and little to no voiceover.

That's exactly it, trying to keep my collection all NA region. And it might not matter to some but it mattes to me.

Funniest part is that when Sony changed the spine for their PS3 games, that...didn't bother me a bit. And yet I hate "value" releases (Greatest Hits, Nintendo Selects, etc.).

I'm probably insane.
lol - no worries, to each his own. I used to be bothered by those things during the PS2 era, but by PS3, just accepted that while I'd prefer non GH games and complete cases/manuals, what mattered was getting a relatively clean disk at the lowest price possible. Most publsihers dropping manuals for PS4 has made this an even easier time to just get the disc.

I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on this one. I asked about YS 8 and that one sounds interesting, with also better production values closer to what we expect for PS4. This one looks like a ported Vita release with no material enhancements.

Is this one really any good? I might reconsider when it drops again, but honestly, hard to get interested in a dated game with no quality of life improvements, and little to no voiceover.
Both games developed and released on the vita and were ported/made to other platforms. The difference is that 8 is full 3d while celceta is fixed camera so that makes 8 seem higher production value than it actually is. 8 is pretty low budget and felt like an early ps2 title due to how clunky the move to 3d was. I'm hoping 9 is a refining of the formula. But it looked from a glance more of 8. Personally I found celceta to be a much better designed game than 8 was. Plus I never had it crash or freeze while playing like 8 so that doesn't help things.

Both games developed and released on the vita and were ported/made to other platforms. The difference is that 8 is full 3d while celceta is fixed camera so that makes 8 seem higher production value than it actually is. 8 is pretty low budget and felt like an early ps2 title due to how clunky the move to 3d was. I'm hoping 9 is a refining of the formula. But it looked from a glance more of 8. Personally I found celceta to be a much better designed game than 8 was. Plus I never had it crash or freeze while playing like 8 so that doesn't help things.
Interesting. All the reviews I've watched say 8 is much more polished with voice-over and upgraded graphics than Celceta, which reviewers like Happy Console Gamer say are really only for fans (can't say I am yet).

I thought this exactly after I played the demo for VIII on PS4 before or close to the game's release and decided to hold off on buying it.

I actually understand where Vinny is coming from. For whatever reason having a different rating logo on the package disturbs me even if I will never sell the game or buy the DLC. Not to mention sometimes other regions have different covers entirely and in most cases are inferior to to the NA versions IMO. Even Canadian NTSC versions bother me because the back of the boxes often remove screen shots and box art to place in French language descriptions. I only will buy imports if they games are not released physically in NA or if they're released first in a different region and they randomly come to NA a few years later (this rarely happens). I also hate Greatest Hits. The worst part about the Greatest Hits is that the spines are red when they previously had artwork. I am sure that I probably have some undiagnosed disorder because I really am obsessive about details. Any flaw on a game package, scratch on a disc, etc. disturbs me. I can't have any games with stickers on the case or sticker residue so I will always have extra clean cases to swap for used games.
Yeah, you remind me of me 15 years ago. I get it but nowadays where games mostly don't have manuals and are on blurays, I've long since abandoned those things. Also, I think game collecting now when it is so mainstream, where there are ridiculous collector or special editions for practically everything, just means a lot of it is junk. It's also just very expensive.

Anyways, I actually like the imports. I think it's cool to have games with different covers and different languages on the cover art. The game is the same and sometimes better (Bloodborne GOTY, or the two-disc all on-disc Shadow of War def. ed.). Since I never buy DLC or digital games, I just don't care about the region. I care about just having the physical disc.

Interesting. All the reviews I've watched say 8 is much more polished with voice-over and upgraded graphics than Celceta, which reviewers like Happy Console Gamer say are really only for fans (can't say I am yet).
Given the fixed camera angle I don't think you could even do a side by side comparison to tell outside of the in game status menu shots of characters.

Voice work wise that's pretty off as it doesn't have much voice work as is. Maybe a bit more voice work than celceta did and most of the voice actors for recurring characters are the same so no changes there outside the 5 party members which are changed and whatever npcs.

Given the fixed camera angle I don't think you could even do a side by side comparison to tell outside of the in game status menu shots of characters.

Voice work wise that's pretty off as it doesn't have much voice work as is. Maybe a bit more voice work than celceta did and most of the voice actors for recurring characters are the same so no changes there outside the 5 party members which are changed and whatever npcs.
Really? Reviews say VIII has 40-50% voice work whereas Celceta has practically no voice acting.

bread's done
Back