Target Black Friday 2020 Ad

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
More games revealed on Black Friday.

:switch: $299.99 Nintendo Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Bundle w/ 3-Month Nintendo Online

:switch: $199.99 Nintendo Switch Lite (all colors)

$39.99 Games;

• :ps4: :xb1: Crash Bandicoot 4
  • :ps4: Ghost of Tsushima
  • :ps4: :xb1: Watch Dogs Legion
  • :switch: Luigi's Mansion 3
  • :switch: Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
  • :switch: Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • :switch: Super Mario Maker 2
  • :switch: Splatoon 2
$29.99 Games;

• :ps4: :xb1: :switch: Just Dance 2021
  • :ps4: Last of Us 2
  • :switch: Borderlands Trilogy
  • :switch: Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games
  • :ps4: :xb1: UFC 4
  • :ps4: :xb1: NHL 21
  • :ps4: :xb1: PGA Tour 2K21
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Madden 21
  • :ps4:  :xb1: FIFA 21
  • :ps4:  :xb1: NBA 2K21
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Avengers
$24.99 Games;

• :switch: L.O.L. Surprise
  • :switch: Overcooked 2
  • :ps4:  :xb1: NASCAR Heat
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • :switch: Sonic Mania / Sonic Team Racing
  • :switch: Super Monkey Ball /  Sonic Forces
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Need For Speed Pursuit Remastered
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Forza Horizon 4
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Sims 4 + Sims 4 Star Wars
  • :switch: Jumanji
$14.99 Games;

• :switch: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • :switch: Aladdin + Lion King
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Minecraft Dungeons
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Cobra Kai
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Online Edition
  • :ps4:  :xb1: WWE 2K Games Battlegrounds
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Saint's Row The Third Remastered
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Maneater
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Need For Speed Heat
  • :ps4:  :xb1: Fast & Furious
$9.99 Games;

• :ps4: Gran Turismo
  • :ps4: God Of War
  • :ps4: :xb1: Sonic Mania
  • :ps4: Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • :ps4: :xb1: Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville
  • :switch: LEGO Worlds

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know hows the Cobra Kai game? Only thing that caught my eye here. If it's not a Ninja Gaiden clone I'll be disappointed. Must be trash to be on sale like that so soon but the show itself is straight fire.

But don't be fooled by the wording. Over 50 games counts NFS for the Switch, PS4 and Xbox One as 3 individual games.
Yeah, mostly likely. But I still think it's worth pointing out that there will be some titles that aren't shown. For example, only 6 $9.99 titles are shown (with "over 50 games" advertised), so there must logically be more unique games at that price point even if factoring in 2x-3x for platform repeats.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the other games not shown will be the endcap games that Targets have a bunch of.

The reason I think this is I just got some endcap games that were also manually overridden to 70% off. These was not normal clearance games and they specifically told me they were on sale. I even got the b2g1 free promo to work.

As in years past, there will be more games than shown in the ad.

According to the ad:

$9.99 games - over 50 games

$14.99 games - over 60 games

$24.99 games - over 50 games

$29.99 games - over 30 games

Ad scan:

https://www.theblackfriday.com/target-blackfriday.shtml?page=21

Yeah, mostly likely. But I still think it's worth pointing out that there will be some titles that aren't shown. For example, only 6 $9.99 titles are shown (with "over 50 games" advertised), so there must logically be more unique games at that price point even if factoring in 2x-3x for platform repeats.
Yes going by past form there are going to be a lot more games in the 14.99 section. Target does this every year, usually hiding the actual desirable titles!

No one is doing the 199.99 ps4 or xbox one this year. That's what it looks like..

Just a heads up:

The first party switch games in this ad are $30 next Wednesday 7pm est on walmart.com.  Also a few other games are cheaper as well.

If there were any doubts whether consumer interest in physical media for games and movies/TV was on a steep decline, the Target ad certainly helps drive it home. I imagine we'll see fewer and fewer big sales or eveb much attention to them (why waste ad space?) after this BF.

Thr return of the B2G1 is nice, at least. Might go back and pick off a couple more I was eying on.

If there were any doubts whether consumer interest in physical media for games and movies/TV was on a steep decline, the Target ad certainly helps drive it home. I imagine we'll see fewer and fewer big sales or eveb much attention to them (why waste ad space?) after this BF.

Thr return of the B2G1 is nice, at least. Might go back and pick off a couple more I was eying on.
I wouldn't say that's it. Stores (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Gamestop, etc.) have been trying to clear space for next gen consoles for months. Manufactures aren't making new copies of old gen games either. So this BF we weren't going to see as many games, only whatever stores are trying to clear out that they didn't months ago.

Doesn't help how big newer systems are. They take up a lot of shelf space that stores needed to make room for.

So it isn't that people are going digital more, stores just don't want old inventory and need more space for newer consoles / games.

:xb1: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered for me so far. Gonna be interesting to see what other games will be on sale.
Hoping this comes to EA Play sooner than later, a la Game Pass but not sure how long it will take. Plenty of games for me in the meantime though, too many in fact lol.

I wouldn't say that's it. Stores (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Gamestop, etc.) have been trying to clear space for next gen consoles for months. Manufactures aren't making new copies of old gen games either. So this BF we weren't going to see as many games, only whatever stores are trying to clear out that they didn't months ago.

Doesn't help how big newer systems are. They take up a lot of shelf space that stores needed to make room for.

So it isn't that people are going digital more, stores just don't want old inventory and need more space for newer consoles / games.
You have a good point about clearing inventory.

The pricing by everybody but Best Buy is counter to the point.

The percentage of total video game sales sold digitally has increased every single year since 2009 to 2020.

This is the very definition of people are going digital more.

The percentage of total video game sales sold digitally has increased every single year since 2009 to 2020.

Lots of people in denial about this because they prefer physical media and don't see the way things are going.

I don't disagree with you about clearing out old inventory. Sure, when it comes to the last gen games, of course that's why you see fewer PS4 and Xbox One games.

But to look only at that doesn't explain the clearly reduced floor space to blu-rays and DVDs, and the significantly fewer sales and inventory selection offered by stores like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy this BF. This is not just about Covid-19; it's clear from the ads that retailers aren't offering as much physical media. And even when they do, they're not flying off the shelves. Target, for example, has had Disney blus on sale for $10 for weeks. A year ago, those would have sold out everywhere, but now with Disney+, all of them remain in stock.

Most of us know that physical media is well on its way to niche territory, where those interested in buying them will pay premiums to smaller publishers who'll be able to demand higher prices. I think that sucks, but that's just the way it's going.

Frankly, for video games, it's going even faster. That's because greedy publishers love the idea of selling digital licenses, where gamers own nothing, and retailers are cut out entirely. Add patches and DLC transactions, and you quickly see why games have moved so quickly to digital in just the past few years.

Xbox Game Pass and Microsoft generally is certainly one of the biggest reasons the industry has gone this direction at this pace, and it's only going to go faster with Series S. Heck, they even convinced Sony to release a disc-less version.

All of this is to say that clearing out old inventory isn't the real reason. Floor space for games and movies have been cut down by every big retailer. It's only a matter of time before your only option to buy anything non-AAA will be online.

Nah, Limited Run games and its imitators will be there to make sure your precious Oceanhorns and other crappy indies get physical versions so you can justify having all those shelves.

I don't disagree with you about clearing out old inventory. Sure, when it comes to the last gen games, of course that's why you see fewer PS4 and Xbox One games.

But to look only at that doesn't explain the clearly reduced floor space to blu-rays and DVDs, and the significantly fewer sales and inventory selection offered by stores like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy this BF. This is not just about Covid-19; it's clear from the ads that retailers aren't offering as much physical media. And even when they do, they're not flying off the shelves. Target, for example, has had Disney blus on sale for $10 for weeks. A year ago, those would have sold out everywhere, but now with Disney+, all of them remain in stock.

Most of us know that physical media is well on its way to niche territory, where those interested in buying them will pay premiums to smaller publishers who'll be able to demand higher prices. I think that sucks, but that's just the way it's going.

Frankly, for video games, it's going even faster. That's because greedy publishers love the idea of selling digital licenses, where gamers own nothing, and retailers are cut out entirely. Add patches and DLC transactions, and you quickly see why games have moved so quickly to digital in just the past few years.

Xbox Game Pass and Microsoft generally is certainly one of the biggest reasons the industry has gone this direction at this pace, and it's only going to go faster with Series S. Heck, they even convinced Sony to release a disc-less version.

All of this is to say that clearing out old inventory isn't the real reason. Floor space for games and movies have been cut down by every big retailer. It's only a matter of time before your only option to buy anything non-AAA will be online.

My guy no one wants to read a wall of text. I saw a different post of yours going on some political tirade....just, if you want to write it all out, at least spoiler it and get it out of your system.

The person is stating that this year's BF being lacking is a result of people going more digital when it's moreso stores clearing old gen inventory, something stores have been doing for months. That's not to say digital sales aren't increasing, but this year's BF sales aren't a result of that. Stores need space and don't want inventory that is going to sit.

[/spoiler]

My guy no one wants to read a wall of text. I saw a different post of yours going on some political tirade....just, if you want to write it all out, at least spoiler it and get it out of your system.
Yeah, it's a frustrating life nowadays. Certainly not trying to offend anyone and I know, I ramble.

Anyways, got most of my BB blus and one arrived crushed, which is strange given the others are perfectly fine. Ugh.

I will say Target does a far better job with packing its mailings.

bread's done
Back