- - - - -

Target Black Friday 2020 Ad

#31 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1204 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:43 AM

The percentage of total video game sales sold digitally has increased every single year since 2009 to 2020.

This is the very definition of people are going digital more. 

Lots of people in denial about this because they prefer physical media and don't see the way things are going.

#32 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3104 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:55 AM

I wouldn't say that's it. Stores (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Gamestop, etc.) have been trying to clear space for next gen consoles for months. Manufactures aren't making new copies of old gen games either. So this BF we weren't going to see as many games, only whatever stores are trying to clear out that they didn't months ago. 

Doesn't help how big newer systems are. They take up a lot of shelf space that stores needed to make room for. 

So it isn't that people are going digital more, stores just don't want old inventory and need more space for newer consoles / games.

I don't disagree with you about clearing out old inventory.  Sure, when it comes to the last gen games, of course that's why you see fewer PS4 and Xbox One games. 

But to look only at that doesn't explain the clearly reduced floor space to blu-rays and DVDs, and the significantly fewer sales and inventory selection offered by stores like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy this BF.  This is not just about Covid-19; it's clear from the ads that retailers aren't offering as much physical media.  And even when they do, they're not flying off the shelves.  Target, for example, has had Disney blus on sale for $10 for weeks.  A year ago, those would have sold out everywhere, but now with Disney+, all of them remain in stock.

Most of us know that physical media is well on its way to niche territory, where those interested in buying them will pay premiums to smaller publishers who'll be able to demand higher prices.  I think that sucks, but that's just the way it's going.

Frankly, for video games, it's going even faster.  That's because greedy publishers love the idea of selling digital licenses, where gamers own nothing, and retailers are cut out entirely.  Add patches and DLC transactions, and you quickly see why games have moved so quickly to digital in just the past few years. 

Xbox Game Pass and Microsoft generally is certainly one of the biggest reasons the industry has gone this direction at this pace, and it's only going to go faster with Series S.  Heck, they even convinced Sony to release a disc-less version.

All of this is to say that clearing out old inventory isn't the real reason.  Floor space for games and movies have been cut down by every big retailer.  It's only a matter of time before your only option to buy anything non-AAA will be online. 

#33 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1365 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:25 AM

Nah, Limited Run games and its imitators will be there to make sure your precious Oceanhorns and other crappy indies get physical versions so you can justify having all those shelves.

#34 mr.Dobalina   Minimalist gamer CAGiversary!   1054 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

mr.Dobalina

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

Spoiler

My guy no one wants to read a wall of text. I saw a different post of yours going on some political tirade....just, if you want to write it all out, at least spoiler it and get it out of your system.

#35 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6941 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:27 PM

The percentage of total video game sales sold digitally has increased every single year since 2009 to 2020.

This is the very definition of people are going digital more. 

The person is stating that this year's BF being lacking is a result of people going more digital when it's moreso stores clearing old gen inventory, something stores have been doing for months. That's not to say digital sales aren't increasing, but this year's BF sales aren't a result of that. Stores need space and don't want inventory that is going to sit. 

#36 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1566 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:32 PM

Going to pick up pga2k21 unless it’s going to be same price at BestBuy

#37 bers817  

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:43 PM

Does anyone know what time and time zone these prices go live?

#38 puh_fifer   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   121 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

puh_fifer

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:55 PM

Does anyone know what time and time zone these prices go live?

Target isn't exact like BB, but is normally between 12-2AM CST

#39 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3104 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:48 PM

[/spoiler]

My guy no one wants to read a wall of text. I saw a different post of yours going on some political tirade....just, if you want to write it all out, at least spoiler it and get it out of your system.

Yeah, it's a frustrating life nowadays. Certainly not trying to offend anyone and I know, I ramble.

Anyways, got most of my BB blus and one arrived crushed, which is strange given the others are perfectly fine. Ugh.

I will say Target does a far better job with packing its mailings.

#40 FFWRX   Don't Blink! CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:03 AM

I think the ad is live.  Final Fantasy worked for me $24.

#41 Gideon68   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2835 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:43 AM

Destroy All Humans down to $14.99