* * * * * 3 votes

Best Buy GCU to be discontinued 3-1-2021

#31 segasonic128   Segasonic CAGiversary!   582 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

segasonic128

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:27 PM

Best Buy GCU, one of the best game discount programs ever made!!  

#32 thegame956   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   622 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

thegame956

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:31 PM

Awesome deal , I’ll take 3, is there a limit to this deal

#33 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

Possibly introducing a new membership and they want to phase GCU out completely? 

I doubt it. I though the only reason Best Buy created GCU in the first place was to compete with Amazon when they were discounting new games and the idea people coming into stores to buy discounted games would lead to other higher profit purchases like strategy guides and hardware.

#34 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6956 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

This one deserves a Ferrari GIF. End of an era!

#35 indieman  

I'm bummed. Mine was suppose to end on Feb 28th... It will still end then, and I get $30 back... win in my opinion.

#36 indieman  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

If they would like my business again, they will need to somehow incentivize me in some way. Reward points are good, but not good enough... not when I can get "free" shipping for most games on amazon (over $35 on BBY gives free shipping)... I really would like to see what happens here.

#37 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2258 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, I totally called this when they announced ending the program.  Last April was when everyone that didn't stack ended because that was two years from the date.  They gave it a bit of grace (about a year) to let most others time out naturally then are going to simply refund and cut it off completely for folks that stacked years upon years.

I was fortunate to have reupped right before they ended it so got another two years, but I really doubted they would have this run indefinitely for the small fraction of people that stacked large amounts.

#38 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6670 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

If they would like my business again, they will need to somehow incentivize me in some way. Reward points are good, but not good enough... not when I can get "free" shipping for most games on amazon (over $35 on BBY gives free shipping)... I really would like to see what happens here.

Nothing will happen here.  Best Buy has had record profits this year by selling phones, tablets, other electronics, printers and home office equipment.  Video games have never been particularly profitable and creating another program that loses them money on slim margin items at a time when people aren't even coming into stores and buying other high margin items in a lot of areas makes zero sense.     

#39 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12438 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:13 PM

You all realize Best Buy was losing money on this, right? Selling $60 games for $48 is pretty much what they buy therm for, if they are so lucky.

#40 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12438 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:15 PM

I doubt they care about getting GCU members back. They lost money on it.

#41 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:22 PM

Well I guess it had to come to an end. I was still good through November 2022 but I guess that’s done.

Since I won’t be spending thousands of dollars there anymore and hitting Elite, I guess I should figure out what to cash my RZ points on before the year is up.

Add in amazon price matches, access to a target team member discount and the fact that both store cards give back the 5% instantly, I doubt I’ll ever buy almost anything from bestbuy ever again after pulling this.

You sure have a lot of guessing going on😁

#42 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23947 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:24 PM

Had it through 2032. Used THE HELL out of it, especially this year since it stacked with their BF deals. 

Now of course there were definitely hardcore resellers that max 3x everything.  That's where the losses came from, and ultimately why Best Buy discontinued the program.  Not because of normal people buying games to play.

To which point, I wish they would have just banned those people under the "we can kill a membership for any reason" clause but that would prob take a lot of work. 

#43 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12438 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

Now of course there were definitely hardcore resellers that max 3x everything.  That's where the losses came from, and ultimately why Best Buy discontinued the program.  Not because of normal people buying games to play.

They lost on literally every game purchased at 20% off.

#44 indieman  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:37 PM

I doubt they care about getting GCU members back. They lost money on it.

Nothing will happen here.  Best Buy has had record profits this year by selling phones, tablets, other electronics, printers and home office equipment.  Video games have never been particularly profitable and creating another program that loses them money on slim margin items at a time when people aren't even coming into stores and buying other high margin items in a lot of areas makes zero sense.     

Excellent... then they have lost my business. I guess they still win since it doesn't matter to them.

#45 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12438 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:39 PM

Excellent... then they have lost my business. I guess they still win since it doesn't matter to them.

I'm sure they are sad to not lose money on each sale with you?

#46 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1536 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

Remember the free games with the coupons? Let's Tap Wii and Fairytale Fights Xbox 360 sadly come immediately to mind

#47 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3014 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:10 PM

They buy games that cost $60 for $45-48 so they were breaking even until you factor in free shipping and the $10 certs are done in partnership with the publishers to get their preorder numbers up.

The amount of people that still had it a year after they stopped offering it was probably pretty minimal anyway. Surely Best Buy not offering up games "at cost" anymore is the beginning of their downfall. :-P

#48 ShadowAssassin   #TTP CAGiversary!   4912 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

ShadowAssassin

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:31 PM

This is why I stopped at 2020 back when the promotion was going. I thought they'd either terminate it eventually because so many people had it or they'd go out of business. I remember Best Buy wasn't doing so great back in like 2014ish and they had a pretty big rise after that.

I still hope at some point BB, Amazon, etc offer tiered subscription programs for game discounts. Maybe something like Prime Gamers Package where instead of the $120/year it's like $300/year and you get 20% off all games. People who buy tons of games per year could easily break even if they buy more than 10 games per year.

But yeah, once BB offered the subscription for $30 I knew everyone and their mother would sign up and it was doomed to be cancelled.

#49 RiPPn  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:37 PM

Use to buy tons of games from them.  My GCU ran out a year ago.  Since then the only thing I have bought from them is a $10 game on black Friday.  This was such a poor decision to end this program.

One could hope that maybe they are pushing everyone off because they plan to introduce a new program, but I doubt it.

#50 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3256 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:44 PM

BBY killing off GCU (finally!) is hardly news, and it's funny seeing all the negative reactions to it.

To the complainers, BBY doesn't need you.  It's just bad business to continue a program where you lose money on every sale.  It's crazy enough BBY didn't kill it off entirely sooner.  That it still would refund you $30/yr when most didn't even pay that is generous. 

Second, the margins for profit on selling games is fast diminishing, coupled with the significant reduction in physical game sales, there is even less reason for BBY to keep maintaining this program or anything like it.  Far better to do something like Amazon Prime or Walmart+.

Lastly, though BBY gave me one particularly bad holiday experience, the retailer is still pretty good, and frankly, I like supporting them over Amazon where I can.  Competition is always good, and I think many here who are complaining are completely forgetting that, for example, Amazon's prices on games and movies are ALMOST ALWAYS no more than price matches of sales by Best Buy, Target, or Walmart. 

Sure, shop others for lower prices.  But to stick it to a retailer solely for ending a program it just can't fiscally maintain, but is refunding you for the difference, neglects the fact it offered it and kept it alive longer than anyone else, and seems quite illogical. 

If BBY screwed you multiple times, and completely #%&ed up a situation, then sure. 

But all the animosity over this?  Nah.

#51 ShadowAssassin   #TTP CAGiversary!   4912 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

ShadowAssassin

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:50 PM

Curious why everyone stopped buying from BB. Were the points not attractive enough? Do you just like other retailers better?

#52 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6670 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:02 PM

Curious why everyone stopped buying from BB. Were the points not attractive enough? Do you just like other retailers better?

I mostly switched to Amazon because I have their credit card and get 5% back on purchases.  I also have started buying more from Target because I have the 5% back for Red Card.  I do still buy CEs and exclusives from Best Buy though.  

#53 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1012 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

They buy games that cost $60 for $45-48 so they were breaking even until you factor in free shipping and the $10 certs are done in partnership with the publishers to get their preorder numbers up.

The amount of people that still had it a year after they stopped offering it was probably pretty minimal anyway. Surely Best Buy not offering up games "at cost" anymore is the beginning of their downfall. :-P

So how does it ever make sense to put a game on sale for 40? Does Sony cut a refund check for each game sold at a lower cost? Does BB not actually pay Sony for the games in their stores until they sell? When Sony drops MSRP, does BB get a refund /credit for the copies they still have in stores?

#54 QuasidodoJr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   130 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

QuasidodoJr

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:07 PM

It definitely sucks that it’s ending. I still had it till 2024. But I got an e-mail saying they will refund me the extra time I’m losing at $30/year.

I’m Best Buy Elite. I shop there a lot, normally. In 2020 alone I spent over $7000 in their stores. But a lot of the decisions they’re currently making as a company will start to slow me down a lot as a consumer there. Pretty much eradicating the movie sections. Now canceling my GCU. I always go with the best price. Walmart sells most video games cheaper than Best Buy, and employees at the store usually give me more grief over price matching games than movies. I realize they were only breaking even selling games to me, but I rarely ever entered the store and left with just a video game. I usually pick up multiple items.

#55 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4785 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

I mostly switched to Amazon because I have their credit card and get 5% back on purchases.  I also have started buying more from Target because I have the 5% back for Red Card.  I do still buy CEs and exclusives from Best Buy though.  

With the U.S. Bank Cash Plus card you get 5% back at Best Buy, plus you accumulate rewards certificates on top of that. And the sign-up bonus for the credit card is better than either Amazon or Target's.

https://www.usbank.c...redit-card.html

#56 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:34 PM

Best buy credit card honestly kicks ass. 6% back total in rewards on purchases. Plus they have random absurd deals. Right now 10% back on all bill payments.

If it weren't for BB credit card i'd stop shopping there. 

I get new amazon prime by rolling prime accounts every 6 months by buying .edu email addresses, so the amazon card sucks for me.

#57 NoThanksBro   Vampire Killer CAGiversary!   416 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

NoThanksBro

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:35 PM

Still glad I got pre-orders in for Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 before mine ended early last year. At least those are already paid for since I used PayPal, so I don't think there is a risk of getting up charged.

I hope they don't mess with preorders. I've had Metroid Prime 4 preordered for a while as well (WILL IT EVER GET RELEASED?).

#58 malfcn   CAGalicious! CAGiversary!   2523 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:42 PM

Was 3/2/2022. Stinks.

#59 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6670 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:49 PM

So how does it ever make sense to put a game on sale for 40? Does Sony cut a refund check for each game sold at a lower cost? Does BB not actually pay Sony for the games in their stores until they sell? When Sony drops MSRP, does BB get a refund /credit for the copies they still have in stores?

Yes, when MSRP drops, the distributor provides a credit to the retailer which can then be used against future purchases.  Publishers and distributors will also incentivize sale pricing by offering other credits against future purchases or marketing co-branding campaigns, etc...In short, having a 20% discount across the board is much different than targeted sales pricing or MSRP drops.  

#60 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5968 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:49 PM

Good night sweet prince of savings ... I had it until 2101 but all good things must end.