* * * * * 3 votes

Best Buy GCU to be discontinued 3-1-2021

#61 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3607 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:45 PM

Best buy credit card honestly kicks ass. 6% back total in rewards on purchases. Plus they have random absurd deals. Right now 10% back on all bill payments.

If it weren't for BB credit card i'd stop shopping there. 

I get new amazon prime by rolling prime accounts every 6 months by buying .edu email addresses, so the amazon card sucks for me.

Yep, got mine a few years ago, forgot what promo pulled me in but I'm sure it was pretty good for me to get yet another CC.  Yep, for the next couple months, will max out the utilities/10% bonus they're offering now.  I don't buy games there much but do buy my appliances there and occasional movies that go on crazy sale.

My GCU ran out a couple years back since I didn't believe they'd support multiple years going forward.

#62 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3261 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:06 PM

Yes, when MSRP drops, the distributor provides a credit to the retailer which can then be used against future purchases.  Publishers and distributors will also incentivize sale pricing by offering other credits against future purchases or marketing co-branding campaigns, etc...In short, having a 20% discount across the board is much different than targeted sales pricing or MSRP drops.  

Yup, bojay1997 is correct.  The most obvious examples of this are when Sony announces their Play promos and you see $9.99 drops across all retailers.  It's basically the same thing, but you won't see the manufacturer announce it.  It's also the case that certain retailers will place items on sale through other retailer-publisher arrangements.

Yes, it's that nuanced.  Even those sales you see at your grocery stores are all negotiated and timed.  Crazy, I know, but there's a system in place for all this.

#63 mitch079   Mumm-Ra shares with no one! CAGiversary!   12838 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:07 PM

Had a year left, oh well!

#64 DemonsMaster   Jrpg Addicts Anonymous CAGiversary!   1726 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DemonsMaster

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:37 PM

Anyone else remember when GCU first started, they would have coupons in the magazine?

The amount of deals I got from @gamer were ridiculous

#65 Lans   Walp! CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:28 AM

Well nuts, I had until 2023, was the sole reason I even entertained buying from them aside from the occasional extreme price screwups I caught them with them. Oh well, I'll keep buying off them and racking up points until whenever the last DDR4 Ryzen comes out or if GPUs ever come back in stock again, then cash out and be glad I'm finally free from them. Though I will miss the Elite status, but as someone mentioned earlier, it's going to be hard to maintain (Especially since I whored my account out to my friends and family) now unless I buy a TV or fridge every year so I'll just stick to Amazon Prime.

#66 chibuki   μ's Music Start! CAGiversary!   55 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:36 AM

Curious why everyone stopped buying from BB. Were the points not attractive enough? Do you just like other retailers better?

I still do because there's one within 10-15 minute drive from where I'm at. I prefer physical so it's better to make the drive and get the game on release day morning rather than waiting for mail.

Cyberpunk was last GCU game (which I haven't even installed) so it's a shame. If I recall correctly, there was a time where PS4 Spider-Man copies were scarce or just very low stock, so people couldn't pre-order from Best Buy which at the time had GCU and Amazon with similar 20% off new game membership deal. The ones that doesn't have any video game memberships still carry them. Once these programs got terminated, both Best Buy and Amazon started getting restocks. I'm pretty sure that was the catalyst of these awesome programs ending.

#67 BeyondKnight   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   521 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

BeyondKnight

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:28 AM

I had mine till 2077, guess now it's time to stock up on preorders

#68 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6261 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:54 AM

Anyone else remember when GCU first started, they would have coupons in the magazine?

Remember that one time Best Buy got drunk and they raised the price of GCU to $120? Those were funny times.

#69 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10322 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:30 AM

Dang.... Disney annual passes now this.

#70 Joe Fongul   Slave to the Grind.. CAGiversary!   1357 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

I'm another that's in the Best Buy CC rules camp.  My GCU ran out a couple of years ago, but the 6% back in Rewards plus promos has been perfectly fine in my book.  I racked up with the 5% back for Warehouse Stores promo from Oct 1st to Dec 31st.  Add the 2 day free shipping with Elite plus the 45 day post purchase price matching & its a no-brainer.  I always order any games from the website so I can access chat for price matching purposes.  Granted its not GCU good but it's better than dealing with GameStop or anywhere else...

#71 Bosshog   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   58 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:07 AM

The only GCU discounted game I have left on preorder is Metroid Prime 4 :p

#72 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:17 AM

Can a bestbuy store check your pre orders instore? Like $5 deposits? Can they check other stores

#73 Amonthar   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   713 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:44 AM

Curious why everyone stopped buying from BB. Were the points not attractive enough? Do you just like other retailers better?

I almost stopped shopping there entirely when GCU ended. I spent a lot there actually along with using my BBY VISA elsewhere. With this going away, there is no real reason for me to go there. Sure, I will take the promotions they send out to rack up points but once I get my PS5 using my remaining points, I will cancel my card and just only go there when I need something quickly. I get good rewards from my other credit cards.

This move actually saved me money.

#74 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   928 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:41 PM

Nobody has mentioned that because GCU is a flat 20% discount, we now would be entering the $70 for $56 game era...an increased discount.

GCU has been dead to me for awhile, but almost all my new game purchases were at best buy when I had it.

I rarely shop there now, because

1) the return policy besides holidays for non elite members is worse than other retailers

2) i already have a prime card 5% cashback with free shipping and red card 5% discount with free shipping

3) target b2g1 has become my defacto buying option (especially since you can cancel/return a game or 2 if need be) $44+tax for a ps5 game

#75 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1373 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:08 PM

Remember that one time Best Buy got drunk and they raised the price of GCU to $120? Those were funny times.

Remember when you remembered this wrong? When GCU originally debuted it was $120. I remember because I joined the weekend it came out. I also remember how a bunch of people on here were bitching about how expensive it was. Between the discount and magazine coupons my savings paid for that membership within a couple of months. Remember when you were limited to three copies of a title across all platforms? They probably should have kept that instead of relaxing it to three per system.

#76 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6261 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:58 PM

when i first joined, it was really cheap, then later they changed it to $120 for a 2-year sub. THEN they had that weird phone offer if you bought any phone, you saved about $100 off the price of GCU, so we bought $10 burner phones and it ended up making GCU even cheaper than it was ($15/year?). I traded a nephew my phone for his Snickers bar. All of these stories are from memory only, take with a grain of sea salt.

#77 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3741 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

My last two GCU preorders after my membership expired are Bravely Default 2 and Elden Ring.
It really was a great program. Best Buy is still my preferred retailer for video games.

#78 BeyondKnight   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   521 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

BeyondKnight

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

My last preorders before my GCU ended was Metroid Prime 4, Dying Light 2, Tales of Arise, Biomutant, No more heroes 3. Gonna miss this program so much

#79 Oregon   CAG Collector CAGiversary!   2220 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

my GCU expired like a year and a half ago.  since then i stopped shopping there entirely (save mx518 mouse for $20), prior to that i was spending $1500+ year for several consecutive years.  reading this thread seems to be a common theme... 

#80 teharistocrat   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   69 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

teharistocrat

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:03 PM

The only GCU discounted game I have left on preorder is Metroid Prime 4 :p

Oh!  I need to pre-order that before mine's runs out.  Good looking out!

#81 Zan-Datsu   CAG Grandmaster CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:59 PM

Damn, the end of an era. Think I purchased my first GCU for $60 back when they still their own magazine + coupons.. then bought another for $30 or something a year later... Then they had one crazy deal (which is where I stocked up) it was something like buy a pre-paid phone (any kind) and you'd get GCU discounted down to like $5 or something.. freaking weird deal, lol.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up OP. Going to keep tabs on this thread because for some reason I didn't receive an e-mail in regards to this.

#82 solidFire501   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   111 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

solidFire501

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:51 AM

I'm another that's in the Best Buy CC rules camp. My GCU ran out a couple of years ago, but the 6% back in Rewards plus promos has been perfectly fine in my book. I racked up with the 5% back for Warehouse Stores promo from Oct 1st to Dec 31st. Add the 2 day free shipping with Elite plus the 45 day post purchase price matching & its a no-brainer. I always order any games from the website so I can access chat for price matching purposes. Granted its not GCU good but it's better than dealing with GameStop or anywhere else...

Same. When they had 10% back at pharmacies late last year, I bought a ton of gift cards at CVS for all of the stores I frequently shop at. And all purchases on the card count towards elite status. I usually only spend a few hundred at BB each year, yet always have elite status just from using the card at other stores while using promos like that 10% back offer.

And, if you want to get technical, it's actually a little more than 10% back, since BB doesn't charge sales tax on the portion of your purchase that you pay with RZ certificates.

That said, I will miss stacking that 20% GCU discount when I redeem those RZ certs....

#83 bruceg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1538 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

I'm glad they are finally ending the program.  It's unfair for everybody else who's subscription expired a long time ago.

#84 intent   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   122 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:19 PM

I'm glad they are finally ending the program. It's unfair for everybody else who's subscription expired a long time ago.

Why? We took a gamble and gave BBY more money early.

#85 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   928 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:14 PM

I'm glad they are finally ending the program. It's unfair for everybody else who's subscription expired a long time ago.

As someone who hasn’t had GCU for quite sometime and definitely sad about it, i think when you buy a paid membership it should be honored until it runs out.

this would be better for consumers and cags in the long term. also keep in mind, some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...the “not fair” mindset will bother you greatly at another time when you are on the right side of “fairness”

#86 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

I'm glad they are finally ending the program.  It's unfair for everybody else who's subscription expired a long time ago.

This is probably the stupidest comment I've read on this entire forum in a long while. Congrats.

#87 BeyondKnight   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   521 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

BeyondKnight

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:45 PM

This is probably the stupidest comment I've read on this entire forum in a long while. Congrats.

I agree!

#88 JSweeney   ... CAGiversary!   11382 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

JSweeney

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:50 PM

Meh. 

#89 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1373 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:02 PM

The now second place dumbest comments were all the ones being made about how the deals would get EVEN BETTER! once GCU subs expired/were phased out. 

#90 intent   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   122 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

The now second place dumbest comments were all the ones being made about how the deals would get EVEN BETTER! once GCU subs expired/were phased out.

Yup. Remember when Amazon stopped offering preorder bonuses after Best Buy stopped GCU?