Choosing a major..

Staind204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Well I went to Miami University of Middletown (Oxford's branch) last year. I plan on going this year too. I declaired my major as Social Studies Education (High School) and I had planned on going back once I got my degree for a Master's in Admin. I am now starting to rethink my major, I know teachers only start off at around 25,000-30,000 a year and it would take me about 4-5 years just to get out of the red once I graduated (assuming I even find a job as soon as I graduate). I haven't got to far into my major yet, I have just been doing the transfer module (General Education classes). What do you think is the most promising career to go into? I need to make up my mind for sure before I get into my major (06-07) school year.

This really isn't a question we can answer. Think about the fields that interest you, or that you're strong in. Once you've narrowed it down, talk to department heads or people who actually work in that field, and decide from there.

I know that sounds like a lazy response, but it's the truth.

Anything having to do with computers/networking is big business right now, since technology is always changing and advancing. One of my former college roommates is working in San Antonio doing computer programming and making $70,000 a year fresh out of college.

My major is (was) Business Administration, and I'm barely making $16,000 a year right now working at a bank. So even as a teacher, you're doing much better than I am.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably do something I enjoy, as that is the most important thing. Even making $25,000-$30,000 a year, if you love teaching, go for it. Then just marry someone rich.

[quote name='Greetard']It doesn't matter which career is the most promising. If you don't like it, you'll end up being miserable.[/QUOTE]

I agree, do what YOU want to do. When I get out of school, I will have a great job that pays decent. I will never be rich but at least I will enjoy going to work every day.

Go with art - film directing. Directors can make up to 10 million a year.

Seriously tho pick what interest you. I'm going for ecomics at the moment but im slowly losing interest.

[quote name='Greetard']It doesn't matter which career is the most promising. If you don't like it, you'll end up being miserable.[/QUOTE]

So true. But if you are going for the most financially rewarding career, I'd just major in business (either Finance or Accounting - Marketing is for tools) or something and then get an MBA. This is what I would do if I could do it over. If you are good you can make a ton of money - especially if you get enough experience and go work for yourself or something. Start out at a big 4 accounting firm or maybe a broker like morgan stanley or bear stearns... just do a good job and the money will come eventually. Personally, I went to law school after college and kicked ass (graduated with honors) - my first year out of school I made over $150,000 but I hate my job and I work all the time.

Or you could go the dreamer route and major in something you love but not be as financially set as you could... that's good in theory I guess but I like plasma TVs and a nice house way too much...

While generally I would say major in something that is financially rewarding, I think that's not necessarily a requirement for success today. I, myself, have a degree in digital design (think getting paid using Photoshop) but I don't even use that degree since I've carved out a lucrative real estate company since college. I say, get a degree in whatever profession makes you happy but have the common sense to pick up some business classes as they will secure your financial future. Truth be told, I'd rather be in digital design but the pay isn't as much as I get now from real estate but I DO dabble in some design work (sometimes making promotional material for my real estate company) and it has its advantages so I'm able to have the best of both worlds. Seriously, get the degree in the profession that you love but be practical about it and use whatever skills you have and apply it to whatever will make you financially secure AND happy.

I am from the "do what you love" side of the fence. You won't be able to impulse buy a plasma or a new car, but if you learn how to be smart with your money, any of it can be yours. Do what you love, invest on the side :D

Of course, no one can tell you what to major in. Even if you have to take extra time to figure it out, do what you want to do. Contrary to popular belief, there's no rush ;-)

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']Financially? Starting salaries in Ohio for pharmacists are around 125K /year. It's a 6 year program at most schools.[/QUOTE]

It should be noted that's above the national average was like $78,000 last I checked. Though I do know the midwest usually pays more for pharmicists, I'd be impressed if that was the average there for someone's first year.

Engineering used to rake in the big money too, but it was gone down the last couple year's I think. Still like everyone just mentioned, going through a career that you hate or dont want to do is not worth an extra 10-20k because you may end up hating your life. So long as you can make a comfortable living doing what you enjoy that should be your goal.

Money won't lead to happiness. Do what interests you. A career that you enjoy will lead to far greater happiness than one that only rewards you financially. Any psych 101 class will teach you that money and intelligence are very poor predictors for happiness.

That being said, things aren't quite so bad for a public school teacher. If I remember other people's situations correctly, a lot of loans are waived if you become a public school teacher.

As someone pursuing the teaching field it is actually one of the better fields to get into. If you really love it and are serious, then it is really rewarding. Teachers actually do fairly well where i live, NJ, they get paid on average 45 grand a year. And when you think about it, it's only 10 months work, 180 days a year or so. Weekends off, holidays off, snow days off. Plus you may only teach half the day in some schools, beats the hell out of anything anyone else does.

Plus you get tenure after 3 years so provided your not a pervert or do something really stupid, you never have to worry about being fired. Those pharmacies can't promise that. By me at least it takes less then two years to get certified and it's nothing to complicated, not anything terribly technical. Another thing overlooked is that in teaching there isn't competition, your not competing against the 5th grade if you teach 4th or something. And on top of all that you can whore yourself out for private tutoring and make extra money. All the free time appeals to me because i love to write in my free time, and in a 9 to 5 job i couldn't devote the same kind of time to it.

[quote name='Tromack']Money won't lead to happiness. Do what interests you. A career that you enjoy will lead to far greater happiness than one that only rewards you financially. Any psych 101 class will teach you that money and intelligence are very poor predictors for happiness.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'd be happier with more money and a shitty job than less money and a fun job. (none of which are actually fun)

[quote name='jputahraptor']As someone pursuing the teaching field it is actually one of the better fields to get into. If you really love it and are serious, then it is really rewarding. Teachers actually do fairly well where i live, NJ, they get paid on average 45 grand a year. And when you think about it, it's only 10 months work, 180 days a year or so. Weekends off, holidays off, snow days off. Plus you may only teach half the day in some schools, beats the hell out of anything anyone else does.

Plus you get tenure after 3 years so provided your not a pervert or do something really stupid, you never have to worry about being fired. Those pharmacies can't promise that. By me at least it takes less then two years to get certified and it's nothing to complicated, not anything terribly technical. Another thing overlooked is that in teaching there isn't competition, your not competing against the 5th grade if you teach 4th or something. And on top of all that you can whore yourself out for private tutoring and make extra money. All the free time appeals to me because i love to write in my free time, and in a 9 to 5 job i couldn't devote the same kind of time to it.[/QUOTE]

It sounds nice and all but I don't know how anyone can own a house anywhere nice in NJ on 45,000 per year.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']Financially? Starting salaries in Ohio for pharmacists are around 125K /year. It's a 6 year program at most schools.[/QUOTE]

That is ALOT better than what I do as a chemist in the pharmacetical industry, and the cost of living here is not cheap. I have a masters degree and have been working in the field for 4 years now, and the "glass ceiling" for me is actually pretty low. I will never see the 6 figure mark unless I change careers. I firmly believe that money is not everything, but I am not really happy with my current situation for many reasons and want to know about other possible options.

Since I assume that you are in the field, how long is the typical "continuing education" program? Ballpark number, how much would you estimate that the degree would cost? Are you quoting a starting salary for just a regular pharmacist at a chain store, or someplace more specialized like a hospital? Is this a PharmD or a regular registered pharmacist's salary?

Thanks for your help.

[quote name='Rich']Nope. I'd be happier with more money and a shitty job than less money and a fun job. (none of which are actually fun)[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? I'm making a lot of money AND having fun. I develop/manage real estate properties and it's a fairly easy job. Plus I only have to come to the office on the average of 3 days a week (usually to sign papers and/or verify payroll with the accountants) and the rest I work at home (and I set the pace at which I work at). Sure some days are more hectic than others but what job isn't? Money isn't happiness. It solves a lot of problems but it isn't the be all/end all to ultimate satisfaction. I'm confident enough to say I'm financially comfortable and, if I quit and got someone else to manage my current properties, I could still retire with a buttload of money. But I'd still be miserable since I wouldn't have anything to do which is why I stay at my job and I've grown to love it - being the boss.

Ya i live in Bergen County, NJ and if you are making 45k a year being a teacher you ain't living anywhere nice. No way you can aford a house close to a million and pay rent which is around 3k a month in Mahwah

[quote name='javeryh']It sounds nice and all but I don't know how anyone can own a house anywhere nice in NJ on 45,000 per year.[/QUOTE]

$45,000 a year was just average starting salary, i have a cousin with 3 years experience who's making 10,000 more then that, like i said it's an average, depends on the exact town or county, besides you get pretty good raises each year especially if you go back for your masters and everything.

As for living in NJ, it's expensive alright, but if you mooch off your parents and save enough, i could save quite a bit and if you pool your money with your honey it's not impossible, there are plenty of people here doing it.

[quote name='jaykrue']Are you kidding? I'm making a lot of money AND having fun. I develop/manage real estate properties and it's a fairly easy job. Plus I only have to come to the office on the average of 3 days a week (usually to sign papers and/or verify payroll with the accountants) and the rest I work at home (and I set the pace at which I work at). Sure some days are more hectic than others but what job isn't? Money isn't happiness. It solves a lot of problems but it isn't the be all/end all to ultimate satisfaction. I'm confident enough to say I'm financially comfortable and, if I quit and got someone else to manage my current properties, I could still retire with a buttload of money. But I'd still be miserable since I wouldn't have anything to do which is why I stay at my job and I've grown to love it - being the boss.[/QUOTE]

Not fun != miserable.

Be a realist... very few people make money doing what they love. A business degree can go towards so many different fields that the major almost doesn't matter. Mine is a Bachelor of Business in IT, with about a year to go. I was going to be a History teacher, but I make more now than I would doing that. Plus History degrees are a dime a dozen in comparison to the number of jobs to the number of candidates (I was about a year away from completion until I sold out to the Business thing). Plus, my company pays for my school (I work in lending for the bank).

Honestly, if you can do something making money and staying away from the man (corporate America), I'd say go for it. But do your homework, look at starting median incomes for certain degrees in areas you'd be interested in living in. There's plenty of resources on the net for such things.

[quote name='Rich']Nope. I'd be happier with more money and a shitty job than less money and a fun job. (none of which are actually fun)[/QUOTE]

Well, statistically that isn't true. But then again you are an idiot and have never been bogged down by listening to facts.

I'm an idiot yet you're the one responding to a clearly stated "I'd" as if I was referring to my own opinion as a the end all to all opinions....You're not worth anyone's time.

[quote name='jputahraptor']$45,000 a year was just average starting salary, i have a cousin with 3 years experience who's making 10,000 more then that, like i said it's an average, depends on the exact town or county, besides you get pretty good raises each year especially if you go back for your masters and everything.

As for living in NJ, it's expensive alright, but if you mooch off your parents and save enough, i could save quite a bit and if you pool your money with your honey it's not impossible, there are plenty of people here doing it.[/QUOTE]

OK, I don't know how anyone can afford a nice house in NJ on $55,000 a year. :D

[quote name='Rich']Not fun != miserable.[/QUOTE]

Well for me, it's an XOR statement. :roll: j/k. But seriously, for me, if it's isn't fun to do, I'd be miserable doing it. So for me

Not fun = miserable

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I don't know how anyone can afford a nice house in NJ on $55,000 a year. :D[/QUOTE]

If you create a home based business, you can apportion a part of it as your home office and qualify for deductions towards offsetting what you would lose paying in taxes... even moreso if you have a real estate type business ;)

It still doesn't matter...it's a home in New Jersey...it's not worth whatever you're paying.

Well, unless you like shitty roads and almost as many assholes as NY.

(at least they have full serve gas stations by law)

Don't worry about your major too much.
You'll probably just end up hating your life just out of general principle.

[quote name='Staind204']Well I went to Miami University of Middletown (Oxford's branch) last year. I plan on going this year too. I declaired my major as Social Studies Education (High School) and I had planned on going back once I got my degree for a Master's in Admin. I am now starting to rethink my major, I know teachers only start off at around 25,000-30,000 a year and it would take me about 4-5 years just to get out of the red once I graduated (assuming I even find a job as soon as I graduate). I haven't got to far into my major yet, I have just been doing the transfer module (General Education classes). What do you think is the most promising career to go into? I need to make up my mind for sure before I get into my major (06-07) school year.[/QUOTE]

Go with what you enjoy - even if it has shit pay.

Teaching = you will get a job when you get out. High demand - and everyone needs teachers no matter where you go.

If you're talking the most promising in terms of cash - law or business. Business being the easiest.

I'm probably going to go for my doctorate so that I can teach at a collegiate level and avoid the disciplinary problems. You can get most schools to pay for your tuition and give you a little extra spending money. I'm also considering law which would pay a lot more - but wouldn't involve as much free time and would require me working a minimum of eight hours a day doing something I believe I would find boring.

Teaching is different. I'd basically read books, write papers and get them published.

Same thing as bitching on a forum - except more formal.

[quote name='Rich']Money = happiness[/QUOTE]

agreed...for the most part...just as you said in another post in this thread...id rather make a shit load of money in a job that i dont like, rather than make crap money in a job i love...'cause when i get home from the shitty job with all the money, ill be happier than hell that i can buy what i want and support my family...but if i have a job that i love, yet i dont make any money, id hate life and would be too depressed when i got home...but im different from other people...no matter how shitty the job is, id love it if the money was really good

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']agreed...for the most part...just as you said in another post in this thread...id rather make a shit load of money in a job that i dont like, rather than make crap money in a job i love...'cause when i get home from the shitty job with all the money, ill be happier than hell that i can buy what i want and support my family...but if i have a job that i love, yet i dont make any money, id hate life and would be too depressed when i got home...but im different from other people...no matter how shitty the job is, id love it if the money was really good[/QUOTE]

See I agree to a point. 99% of jobs suck so you might as well get paid, right? Well, I'd take a $30,000 pay cut if it meant that I could leave the office at 6 p.m. every night... it's more like a balancing act I think.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']agreed...for the most part...just as you said in another post in this thread...id rather make a shit load of money in a job that i dont like, rather than make crap money in a job i love...'cause when i get home from the shitty job with all the money, ill be happier than hell that i can buy what i want and support my family...but if i have a job that i love, yet i dont make any money, id hate life and would be too depressed when i got home...but im different from other people...no matter how shitty the job is, id love it if the money was really good[/QUOTE]

That's easier to say when you're dealing with hypotheticals.
You may actually believe what you're saying, but can you really know how truthful it is unless you're working in a soul-crushing job that you despise with every fiber of your being just because it pays well?

Now, this doesn't include after you have a family to support. In that case, you man it up, do your damn job, and support your family.

[quote name='daria19']That is ALOT better than what I do as a chemist in the pharmacetical industry, and the cost of living here is not cheap. I have a masters degree and have been working in the field for 4 years now, and the "glass ceiling" for me is actually pretty low. I will never see the 6 figure mark unless I change careers. I firmly believe that money is not everything, but I am not really happy with my current situation for many reasons and want to know about other possible options.
[/QUOTE]

Well you could always try working in a cheaper city, as a starting chemist I make less than shit but living in the middle of nowhere makes my money go quite a bit further.

If you don't mind me asking what exactly don't you like about your job?

[quote name='JSweeney']That's easier to say when you're dealing with hypotheticals.
You may actually believe what you're saying, but can you really know how truthful it is unless you're working in a soul-crushing job that you despise with every fiber of your being just because it pays well?

Now, this doesn't include after you have a family to support. In that case, you man it up, do your damn job, and support your family.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1163610&postcount=39

Exactly. The happiness the money will bring me outside of the job far outweights how miserable I may be at said job.

Or maybe I'll get as lucky as my father did and be taking the first express bus home from Manhattan every day and still pulling in 6 figures.
...He was telling me the other day that he made $2700 commission for a deal that one of his clients made, even though he had absolutely NOTHING to do with the deal and didn't even know what the deal was. My father is pretty much the epitome of how I want to live my life...except not starting as low as he did and having to work my way up. (he dropped out of school when my brother was born...I plan to get my MBA)

I'm going into my junior year of college (I transferred after my freshman) and I still don't know what to do... At first I wanted to go into graphic design, then accounting, now I'm thinking of Applied Math and Science.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1163610&postcount=39[/QUOTE]

Given that, TSD's words carry a great deal more weight. However, just like most things, there won't be an easy answer. Though working an unsatisfying job that pays well works for TSD, it may not work for others.

But, so long as it works for TSD, more power to him.
It's great he can make the money he wants, even if he dislikes the job.

(Of course, this will all be rather moot, as TSD is unlikely to read any of this...
he has me on ignore. :lol: )

[quote name='MrFriday18']Ya i live in Bergen County, NJ and if you are making 45k a year being a teacher you ain't living anywhere nice. No way you can aford a house close to a million and pay rent which is around 3k a month in Mahwah[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you say that... I just started working at Verizon for about $45k and am looking for a cheap ass place to stay. An apartment in Edison (I use the term apartment loosely) is the likeliest choice. :/

Anyways, back on topic for OP. I'd recommend choosing a major that you enjoy and realistically see yourself as a success in. There will always be 'what ifs', but if you are confident in what you are doing is what you want for yourself then hopefully there will at least be some measure of satisfaction regardless of fun, money, etc. The money is never guaranteed (speaking with no knowledge of your grades or the jobs around your area), and fun is subjective as well. If anything, take your time... as someone said before, there's no rush.

EDIT: That link to TSD's post reminded me of my cousin who's also a murse (his word for it). He literally washes and scrubs old people's asses all day. I don't think there's enough money in the world to make that worth it to some people.

Man, I feel ignored. Seems like everyone's thinking of only 2 options - more money/shitty job or less money/fun job - when there's a 3rd option more money/fun job. I guess I fill that one percent of ppl with good jobs along with Rich's dad because I love my job and I make a fuckload of money. It boggles my mind that people don't see that 3rd option. But most ppl don't want to take it.

[quote name='jaykrue']Man, I feel ignored. Seems like everyone's thinking of only 2 options - more money/shitty job or less money/fun job - when there's a 3rd option more money/fun job. I guess I fill that one percent of ppl with good jobs along with Rich's dad because I love my job and I make a fuckload of money. It boggles my mind that people don't see that 3rd option. But most ppl don't want to take it.[/QUOTE]

Because that 3rd option is very rarely available for people outside of the entertainment business. Few people like the long hours of Wall Street and even fewer like the even longer hours the court rooms. If you're lucky enough to get a job aside from those that pays well (when i say well, I'm talking about 6 figures +, with the ability to go buy a $30,000 car on a whim) and you enjoy.

I hope to be a millionaire by 35...my options aren't too open.

[quote name='jaykrue']Man, I feel ignored. Seems like everyone's thinking of only 2 options - more money/shitty job or less money/fun job - when there's a 3rd option more money/fun job. I guess I fill that one percent of ppl with good jobs along with Rich's dad because I love my job and I make a fuckload of money. It boggles my mind that people don't see that 3rd option. But most ppl don't want to take it.[/QUOTE]

People do seem to miss out on that one, though usually, that one springs from less money/fun job... when people actually love what they do, they'll devote more of themselves to it, and every so often do something great or manage to surpass what others thought the boundaries were. Though, for most people, they aren't willing to take the intial risk.

Bikini inspector's not a fun job?

Anyways, why does everyone think that making loads of money will instantly happy? My dad used to make money hand over fist when he used to travel. Only problem was he'd spend over a quarter of the year in the Soviet Union, and another quarter of the year elsewhere in the world. When he was around at home, he would leave the house at 6:30 in the morning and not get back home until six at night. After having a couple of million of dollars embezzled by some Russians, the company he worked for went under. After doing random shitty jobs for a few years (working for a mortgage company a good while of that) he decided to start working as a substitute teacher part-time. He got to be friends with the principal of the local tech school, and now he teaches a class for high schoolers which is the equivalent of a freshman level engineering class at college (can actually get credit for it at Penn State and Drexel now). Even though he's making a fraction of what he used to (and my parents will be moving to a smaller house soon) he's happier than he's ever been.

Definately made me realize being happy at work will make me much happier with whatever else I have.

The people who say to do what you love say that because their job is their life. The people who want the money want to enjoy the life they have outside of work. Javeryh took the money and now doesn't have as much of a life as he'd like, but you're one of the few lucky fuckers who gets to have it both ways. :lol:

[quote name='RacinReaver']Bikini inspector's not a fun job?

Anyways, why does everyone think that making loads of money will instantly happy? My dad used to make money hand over fist when he used to travel. Only problem was he'd spend over a quarter of the year in the Soviet Union, and another quarter of the year elsewhere in the world. When he was around at home, he would leave the house at 6:30 in the morning and not get back home until six at night. After having a couple of million of dollars embezzled by some Russians, the company he worked for went under. After doing random shitty jobs for a few years (working for a mortgage company a good while of that) he decided to start working as a substitute teacher part-time. He got to be friends with the principal of the local tech school, and now he teaches a class for high schoolers which is the equivalent of a freshman level engineering class at college (can actually get credit for it at Penn State and Drexel now). Even though he's making a fraction of what he used to (and my parents will be moving to a smaller house soon) he's happier than he's ever been.

Definately made me realize being happy at work will make me much happier with whatever else I have.[/QUOTE]

Because most jobs don't have you living in communist russia for 3 months a year.

[quote name='Rich']Because that 3rd option is very rarely available for people outside of the entertainment business. Few people like the long hours of Wall Street and even fewer like the even longer hours the court rooms. If you're lucky enough to get a job aside from those that pays well (when i say well, I'm talking about 6 figures +, with the ability to go buy a $30,000 car on a whim) and you enjoy.

I hope to be a millionaire by 35...my options aren't too open.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not in the entertainment business. I don't work long hours and I work as the head of a real estate dev. company. I enjoy my job because I get to provide homes for people as well as jobs for those who work in my office. I have a staff of about 12 and they're all pretty satisfied with their jobs. If they've been lyin', they haven't told me and I work hard to make sure they stay. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to off days (all I ask is one day in advance) and emergencies can be exempted depending on the nature. I haven't had to fire anyone for a while (and when I did it was because the guy was a slacker and never actually did anything). I'm 28 and I'm almost a millionaire and I will probably do so before 35. I came from a bad neighborhood on the north side of Chicago but I worked hard to get where I am. I probably won't be able to buy a car on a whim yet but I'm almost there and I can certainly plan ahead and that's how I've been so successful - I plan. I'm at a point in my life where I can do anything I want plus I get a buttload of money. How can I say I'm miserable?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']The people who say to do what you love say that because their job is their life. The people who want the money want to enjoy the life they have outside of work. Javeryh took the money and now doesn't have as much of a life as he'd like, but you're one of the few lucky fuckers who gets to have it both ways. :lol:[/QUOTE]

And see? I'm frustrated by that. I see no reason why no one else can achieve what I've done because I'm not the smartest fucker in the world. The only smart thing anyone can do is surround yourself by smart ppl. I got fairly average grades (b's and c's) but I don't think I'm that lucky either. I worked hard to get here, following smart ppl's advice. I think that the problem most pppl have is that they're too proud to ask for help. I ask for help all the time - in money, in business, and in love. You didn't think the Prof got to be where he is naturally did you? ;) I was a padawan once myself.:lol:

It's because not many people like taking risks. It's very easy to just go to a "safe job" every day and not have to worry about putting food on the table. I would love to quit my job and invest my (considerable) savings in my own company but I can't afford to fail - there are people who rely on me and I can't take the chance of letting them down - no matter what. Maybe if I get shit canned in a few years (which will happen - it's the nature of the beast) I will take a step back and try something different but for now I have to suck it up and just complain about it here. :D

[quote name='jaykrue']And see? I'm frustrated by that. I see no reason why no one else can achieve what I've done because I'm not the smartest fucker in the world. The only smart thing anyone can do is surround yourself by smart ppl. I got fairly average grades (b's and c's) but I don't think I'm that lucky either. I worked hard to get here, following smart ppl's advice. I think that the problem most pppl have is that they're too proud to ask for help. I ask for help all the time - in money, in business, and in love. You didn't think the Prof got to be where he is naturally did you? ;) I was a padawan once myself.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Not every one knows are even has something they would enjoy doing. Then you have to be willing to put in the time and effort to get it going, along with the financial stability to keep you going if you fail (supposing you're going into the self-employeed world). Not everyone is both willing and able to do what you've done. Me, I'm not willing or able. I can't even get past that first step of actually wanting to do something. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Not every one knows are even has something they would enjoy doing. Then you have to be willing to put in the time and effort to get it going, along with the financial stability to keep you going if you fail (supposing you're going into the self-employeed world). Not everyone is both willing and able to do what you've done. Me, I'm not willing or able. I can't even get past that first step of actually wanting to do something. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's becoming quite apparent that is true but I can't stop feeling frustrated about it. It doesn't concern me since I've got the good life but I just can't help the fact that my fellow humans are too afraid or just don't know what to do with their lives. It's probably frustrating to me even moreso that the ppl in that situation :lol: but I can't help but be pissed. But what pisses me off more is that there's nothing I can do about it. No matter how much I try to help or offer my services, people are too afraid/don't know how to take charge of their lives. And it's due to the thing that javeryh is saying:

[quote name='javeryh']It's because not many people like taking risks. It's very easy to just go to a "safe job" every day and not have to worry about putting food on the table. I would love to quit my job and invest my (considerable) savings in my own company but I can't afford to fail - there are people who rely on me and I can't take the chance of letting them down - no matter what. Maybe if I get shit canned in a few years (which will happen - it's the nature of the beast) I will take a step back and try something different but for now I have to suck it up and just complain about it here. :D[/QUOTE]

I think anything, given enough planning, can be accomplished. True while you can't plan for everything, there comes a point at which ppl just have to do things instead of thinking about it. Too much thinking leads a condition called analysis paralysis. People become so concerned about making big leaps of faith as too risky when it's not the thing that is risky, it's the person without the proper knowledge is risky. I didn't know shit about real estate until I got a property at college. I paid my dues by dealing with tenants/building contractors/municipal concerns. I had zero knowledge. There were times at which I was afraid but I always asked for help. And I think still think that is the primary reason are afraid to take major risks even though IMO, I think that working for someone else is the riskiest venture of all.

One of the primary reasons why I love real estate is that I earn money whether I'm working or not. If it's rainy, sunny, windy, earthquakes, or tornadoes; whether I'm sleeping, eating, or even playing video games, when I'm visiting another state or country, it doesn't matter. The rent will come. If it doesn't the tenant has a 1 month leniency period to make it up or get evicted.

But contrast that to someone who's getting an hourly salary. He doesn't get paid unless he's at work. If he's sick he doesn't get paid. If he doesn't show up to work when it's rainy, windy, earthquakes and tornadoes, he doesn't get paid. Eventually he doesn't show up enough times, he gets fired and he has to start the grueling and unpleasant task of finding another job. He's at the beck and call of those who pay him and I didn't want that to happen to me.

But what about those guys who get a set salary? Surely they're in the same boat as me? Ah, but there's still a crucial difference. My 'salary' is almost nonexistant next to all these guys who are making 150K a year and up, but they'll end up paying a huge penalty tax-wise when 15% of that money is taken by good ol' Uncle Sam. It's not the same for a company. Because I get a lower salary than most burger flippers, my 'salary' goes back into making my company grow. As a trade off, my company supplies me with all my needs - food, house, cars, etc. and the company is able to deduct most of them as part of the cost of doing business. The tax laws work too much in favor of companies for this to ever change. In order for it to change there would have to be a major paradigm shift which would probably not take place without disrupting the status quo through a major event - war, advanced tech, etc. As an individual, there's too many penalties to count in contrast to the advantages that a company receives from Uncle Sam. That's what frustrates me. People think it's better to work as a peon at some faceless corporation while I'm making the corporation work for me. I'm living the good life but some will see me and be jealous of what I have even though they stubbornly plod through their own lives by working for someone else and can't see that their way isn't working.

fuck it, you guys have convinced me-- Porn really is the way to go.

bread's done
Back