Slipknot sues Burger King

I'm such a complete non-fan that I couldn't even remember the band's name, but even I recognized it as a complete ripoff. Actually, my thought was that maybe they paid 'that band, whatchamacallit' to modify their masks to look like chickens and play in the commercials.

I think the irony of all this is that Burger King can admit it's a ripoff so long as they claim it's a parody, in which case the lawsuit will be thrown out.

[quote name='rabbitt']Tempted...to make...bad music...joke...

EDIT: As I post this, guess who comes on the radio? :)[/QUOTE]

Black Crowes?

I got this from SCTech Social Episode 2, and the subsequent shownotes.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0817052slipknot1.html?link=rssfeed

Slipknot's Burger King Beef

Metal band threatens lawsuit over chain's chicken fries campaign

0817052left.jpg
0817052right.jpg
AUGUST 17--Claiming that its image and persona have been hijacked as part of a marketing campaign for Burger King's new chicken fries, the costumed heavy metal band Slipknot is threatening the fast food giant with legal action. In the below August 4 letter, the band's lawyers charge that Coq Roq--a mock metal band featured in new Burger King commercials--was created as a "look-alike, sound alike 'band' in order to influence the Slipknot generation to purchase Chicken Fries." Counsel for the band (which is pictured at right) notes that Coq Roq--whose masked members are supposed to resemble badass chickens--has blatantly copied several of Slipknot's signature masks, including a gas mask, a kabuki-style face covering, and a mask with dreadlocks attached. Coq Roq's lead guitarist, The Talisman, is pictured at left. Details of Slipknot's beef with Burger King surfaced in connection with an August 12 federal court filing made by the fast food company and its advertising firm. Burger King wants a U.S. District Court judge in Miami to issue a "declaratory judgment" that the Coq Roq campaign does not infringe on Slipknot's publicity and trademark rights. As for the similar masks, Burger King lawyers--who apparently read the metal mag Revolver--note that many groups "wear masks and/or make-up to accomplish a mask-like effect, including but not limited to the bands KISS, Gwar, Insane Clown Posse, Mushroomhead, Mudvayne, Marilyn Manson, Los Straitjackets, and the Spits." (10 pages)

Is it just me, or are Slipknot looking for attention ANYWHERE they can get it?

gahaha, Cock rock.. Giant chicken heads. Great stuff, and yeah, slipknot is a needy child looking for attention.

I was actually shocked that burger king would let a marketing campaign feature a made-up name of cock rock. Like the "q" instead of the "ck" won't stop kids from snickering every time they see a commercial.

Wait, they're a lawsuit for this?

Quick, someone get me Shinichi Watanbe on the phone, we can have him join in! (Anyone who's seen the 5th volume of Excel Saga knows what I'm talking about. :D )

"but Mr. label executive we are not selling albums like we were"

"thats okay slipknot I have a great idea we gonna to sue burger king"

"geez I don't know"

"it will get you a lot of attention and maybe you can become mainstream like you always wanted"

"okay we'll do it"

[quote name='Stoneage']Slipknot....the band that try to look like Gwar and sound like 3 Doors Down meets Godsmack. I just don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Wow.. Other than the Gwar thing, easily one of the most inaccurate descriptions ever. EVER.

People, take into consideration that it's probably not Slipknot making decisions here, but their MANAGEMENT - the people that own the right to their image. Duh. =D

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']Is it just me, or are Slipknot looking for attention ANYWHERE they can get it?[/QUOTE]

No, they wear ridiculous costumes and sing grade-school level metal songs because they want people to ignore them. :roll:

Ironically, that's exactly why I ignore them.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']www.coqroq.com

Seriously, whoever does BK's marketing (Subservient Chicken, The King, Hootie Farm song, Coq Roq) needs a raise and then needs to be hired by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]
Very true. It's like they all drop acid and then BOOM, we have a new ad.

I thought it was BK who reached a new low? In any case aneventualend is right, the actual band probably has nothing to do with this. It seems like a men-in-suits kind of move.

The first thing I thought when I saw one of those commercials was, "wow, those look like Slipknot masks, I can't believe they're not being sued."

The second thing I thought was "this is the worst ad campaign I've ever seen, bad enough to make me never want to eat there"

Honestly I don't think that the band (Slipknot) has a leg to stand on. You can't copyright the concept of a mask because clearly masks were invented hundreds and hundreds of years ago. And the masks in question are not direct copies of the slipknot masks. They may be influenced by slipknot masks, but you can't sue people because they were influenced by stuff that you made that was also influenced by other shit(Slipknot didn't invent Kabuki theater, and they didn't invent gasmasks or dreadlocks). Even performing rock music in costume was done decades earlier by bands like KISS, and KISS doesn't seem to give a shit about Slipknot or Coq Roq. Also the advertisers could rightfully say that this commercial is a form of parody and thus protected by copyright law.

my friend told me that buckcherry was actually the "coq roq" band. it's not true, but i believed it for a minute because it totally sounds like that band, and teh guys in buckcherry could probably use the money right about now.

if the "coq roq" band had commercials where they were beating on trashcans screaming "fuck your nuggets, i'm eating fucking chicken fries", then a second series of commercials where they all took their chicken masks off to do side projects called stuff like "stone sweet 'n sour", then a third run of commercials where "coq roq" gets back together only to realize no one gives two shits anymore, then maybe slipknot would have the right to sue.

man, buckcherry sucked.

[quote name='thatstoobad']if the "coq roq" band had commercials where they were beating on trashcans screaming "fuck your nuggets, i'm eating fucking chicken fries", then a second series of commercials where they all took their chicken masks off to do side projects called stuff like "stone sweet 'n sour", then a third run of commercials where "coq roq" gets back together only to realize no one gives two shits anymore, then maybe slipknot would have the right to sue.

man, buckcherry sucked.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a great idea! :applause:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']:lol: They do have a point, that's who I immediately thought of when I saw the Coq Roq commercials.[/QUOTE]

Same here... I was like "Wow, Slipknot is doing a Burger King commercial? Weird".

Some of those masks are dead on representations.

I guess I fail to see the comparison. They don't sound alike and one wears clown masks while the other wears chicken skulls.

[quote name='Stoneage']Slipknot....the band that try to look like Gwar and sound like 3 Doors Down meets Godsmack. I just don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Very true.

People love shock-value gimmicks and image over musical ability. Hence why children, fat teenage girls, metal hillbillies and / or social misfits simply adore Slipknot.

"Scary" masks, bootleg pentagrams, "People = Shit"... Whoo, boy; edgy stuff.

[quote name='Brak']Very true.

People love shock-value gimmicks and image over musical ability. Hence why children, fat teenage girls, metal hillbillies and / or social misfits simply adore Slipknot.

"Scary" masks, bootleg pentagrams, "People = Shit"... Whoo, boy; edgy stuff.[/QUOTE]

Says the guy with the Rob Zombie avatar ... :lol:

P.S. - Zombie fucking rules. :cool: :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Says the guy with the Rob Zombie avatar ... :lol:

P.S. - Zombie fucking rules. :cool: :lol:[/QUOTE]

;) Hehe.

Well, I know that you're kidding, but I'll address this anyway.

Rob Zombie is actually a very gifted song writer, performer and has a cool gimmick, which he does very well. With his solo efforts, he's the only guy I know who can sing about The Munster's family vehicle and make a disco / electronic / hard rock / pop hit out of it. I actually despise the "METAL!!!111" genre, but that's ok. Rob Zombie (and White Zombie, especially) transcend genre and pave their own two-lane blacktop in the (surreal) music world.

Very tongue in cheek guy, too. And that's what I like about him. Slipknot, on the other hand, legitimately buy into their own bullshit gimmick... and there music is terrible, to boot.

And you're right, he is fuckin' awesome.

I saw a Slipknot video a long time ago. As we all know, they have somewhere around 46,000 band members, and in this video (which was a live video), I saw 45,990 of the mother fuckers just standing on the stage headbanging. I saw one of the mother fuckers (the one in the clown mask) humping a symphony drum -- A SYMPHONY DRUM. And like somebody mentioned before, the vocals sounded like a 3 Doors Down song... but with a clown humping a symphony drum in the background -- A SYMPHONY DRUM.

I'll never understand how anyone listens and buys into that sort of crap. Oh, wait... I do understand. Slipknot said it themselves: People = Shit.

True, but I can't help but think that many of Zombie's fans just don't get the joke. They seem to take the gimmicks at face value. Not that you're one of those people, but they are out there.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']True, but I can't help but think that many of Zombie's fans just don't get the joke. They seem to take the gimmicks at face value. Not that you're one of those people, but they are out there.[/QUOTE]

Oh, fuck yeah. I couldn't agree more.

Hell, White Zombie's early, early work and their fist mainstream album were a virtual sattire on metal. He sung about fast cars and going down on women... and I know that the chimps who heard that stuff were like "fuck YEAH!!!", when my reaction was a smirk, which was intended. Kurt Cobain took those lyrics literally and said something like "White Zombie shows how the English language is going down hill." That guy was a little too pretentious for his own good.

Then the later White Zombie stuff sounds like shades of surreal disco and non-existant swingin' musical sounds. He blurs genres, and his "fans" really don't get it. I'm not trying to sound condescending, or anything... but it really is true (as are all of my opinions ;) ). Rob Zombie has said it himself, that everything he does is inspired by the 1970s.

"Fans" ruin stuff, that's for sure. Couldn't agree more.

LoL my favorite white zombie song is "Living Dead Girl"

Whenever it comes on winamp, I just want to yell the chorus "Living Dead Girl!!", primarily because it makes no sense.

Although for dark satire, I personally prefer the heavily sampled tunes of the Thrill Kill Kult.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I got this from SCTech Social Episode 2, and the subsequent shownotes.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0817052slipknot1.html?link=rssfeed

Slipknot's Burger King Beef

Metal band threatens lawsuit over chain's chicken fries campaign

AUGUST 17--Claiming that its image and persona have been hijacked as part of a marketing campaign for Burger King's new chicken fries, the costumed heavy metal band Slipknot is threatening the fast food giant with legal action. In the below August 4 letter, the band's lawyers charge that Coq Roq--a mock metal band featured in new Burger King commercials--was created as a "look-alike, sound alike 'band' in order to influence the Slipknot generation to purchase Chicken Fries." Counsel for the band (which is pictured at right) notes that Coq Roq--whose masked members are supposed to resemble badass chickens--has blatantly copied several of Slipknot's signature masks, including a gas mask, a kabuki-style face covering, and a mask with dreadlocks attached. Coq Roq's lead guitarist, The Talisman, is pictured at left. Details of Slipknot's beef with Burger King surfaced in connection with an August 12 federal court filing made by the fast food company and its advertising firm. Burger King wants a U.S. District Court judge in Miami to issue a "declaratory judgment" that the Coq Roq campaign does not infringe on Slipknot's publicity and trademark rights. As for the similar masks, Burger King lawyers--who apparently read the metal mag Revolver--note that many groups "wear masks and/or make-up to accomplish a mask-like effect, including but not limited to the bands KISS, Gwar, Insane Clown Posse, Mushroomhead, Mudvayne, Marilyn Manson, Los Straitjackets, and the Spits." (10 pages)
[/QUOTE]

As much as this lawsuit amuses me, this just offended me.

[quote name='camoor']LoL my favorite white zombie song is "Living Dead Girl"

Whenever it comes on winamp, I just want to yell the chorus "Living Dead Girl!!", primarily because it makes no sense.

Although for dark satire, I personally prefer the heavily sampled tunes of the Thrill Kill Kult.[/QUOTE]

Living Dead Girl is a Rob Zombie song.

/Just saying.

correct me if im right, but didnt Slipknot recentally break up. I heard their lead singer was ripping his vocal chords and one of their guitarists wanted to go to college and do something else or something like that.

keep in mind.......this is just something i heard, nothing cemented.

Oh please! Slipknot are only in it for the money. Coq Roq, on the other hand, are truly attempting to elevate today’s youth with the promise of “one kingdom under chicken fries.” :D

bread's done
Back