Is it LEGAL to trade Game Soundtracks In MP3 Format??

mgriff

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
I was just wondering because I can't find the ones I want and I know most official soundtracks and even bootlegs are a ripoff. It's legal to trade soundtracks and if possible I could make a soundtrack trading thread out of this. I'll post more here if I could get a definite answer on whether not its legal.

[quote name='mgriff']I was just wondering because I can't find the ones I want and I know most official soundtracks and even bootlegs are a ripoff. It's legal to trade soundtracks and if possible I could make a soundtrack trading thread out of this. I'll post more here if I could get a definite answer on whether not its legal.[/QUOTE]

Unless the copyright holder made the soundtracks available for free, I'd imagine that the usual copyright laws would apply.

Overclocked is great.

Video game soundtracks and music are posted regularly on usenet. Quite frankly, game companies are more worried about roms and copied iso's of games. Just my opinion.

TECHNICALLY it's illegal to distribute mp3 files without cutting a royalty check to a group called Faunhofer IIS and Thomson, the license-holders of the mp3 format. Of course, that's a very big "technically."

[quote name='Vegan']TECHNICALLY it's illegal to distribute mp3 files without cutting a royalty check to a group called Faunhofer IIS and Thomson, the license-holders of the mp3 format. Of course, that's a very big "technically."[/QUOTE]
They only charge royalties for commercial MP3 encoders/decoders, free of charge programs and files themselves are free of royalties.

[quote name='mgriff']Does that mean I can turn this into an game soundtrack trading thread?[/QUOTE]

It's a touchy subject. While the music you want to trade is not readily available in the U.S. (which is probably why you want to set up a method of trading it), game soundtracks are abundant in Japan. So the music you want to trade IS commercially being sold, and very much subject to copyright infringement, somewhere.

Oh I have a couple of exxxxxxxcelllllent sites. *rubs hands together*

PM and I'll let you know, hehehehehe.

*wipes slime from face and drools*

If you are buying official releases from Japan, yes it is illegal. Is it morally wrong? Thats something you have to answer yourself. Like a few people said, the RIAA-esque bureau for Japan really doesnt really prosecute cases unless its something really extreme like selling bootlegs or something to that effect. Although publishers have started using new copy protection methods to keep CDs from being burnt, etc. they can all be easily broken if you know what the hell you're doing. I think they do understand however that a minor portion of their market is international sales outside Japan but its more of a niche thing than anything else. In short, yes it is illegal. Will you get in trouble if you get caught? I highly doubt it. You won't have the real RIAA sending you a lawsuit.

[quote name='Quackzilla']If you download the Katamari Damacy soundtrack I will bitchslap you ofer the internet.[/QUOTE]
There's a 2-disc set coming out with both Katamari games plus new material from the PSP game next month.

http://www.gmronline.com/info.asp?CatNumber=COCX-33517

[quote name='GMR']Boku no Watashi no Katamari Damacy - Complete Sounds of katamari
Catalogue Number COCX-33517
Publisher Columbia Music Entertainment, Inc.
First Printing December 21, 2005
Price ¥3,000[/QUOTE]

[quote name='electrictroy']Why trade/buy game soundtracks when you can them for FREE?
http://www.hvsc.c64.org
http://www.zophar.net/music.html

And no it isn't legal, but as someone else said, companies don't really care about the music (since soundtracks sell little). They care about the actual games being passed around, which costs them ~$20 loss for each download * 1 million downloaders = $$$$$$$.[/QUOTE]

Zophar has manboobs. They sag really low. (bonus points for anyone who gets the reference)

[quote name='electrictroy']Why trade/buy game soundtracks when you can them for FREE?
http://www.hvsc.c64.org
http://www.zophar.net/music.html

And no it isn't legal, but as someone else said, companies don't really care about the music (since soundtracks sell little). They care about the actual games being passed around, which costs them ~$20 loss for each download * 1 million downloaders = $$$$$$$.[/QUOTE]

Just because they don't care doesn't make it legal. It violates international copyright laws.

[quote name='daroga']Just because they don't care doesn't make it legal. It violates international copyright laws.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I *already said that* dumb ass. What part of "And no it isn't legal" from my original post, did you not understand?!?!?

Wow, daroga calling you a putz after you made that other topic that really made you look like a putz got you pretty upset, huh?

[quote name='daroga']Just because they don't care doesn't make it legal. It violates international copyright laws.[/QUOTE]

Much like fansubbing, most Japanese companies won't care.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Much like fansubbing, most Japanese companies won't care.[/QUOTE]
You know what would totally own?

They should not care for all the episodes, then strictly enforce the copyrite on the last episode!

That would be so fucking hilarious!

Off topic, but I've been looking for the Beyond Good and Evil soundtrack for some time. I know it was only released in Mp3 format online, but I can't find it. Anyone know where I can get it?

bread's done
Back