- - - - -

New system at GameStop: VG Pocket

#31 asterick   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   8 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

asterick

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

Great info, asterick. I didn't even look at the other chips- I just assumed it was a standard 2 glop top setup. At least one of them has to be the CPU, right? Wonder what the other one is...

<edit> Yes, at least one glop top is the CPU

Mine doesn't even have a 2nd glop top. It may very well depend on the shipment if you have a glop top rom, or even your model. If there are 3 version, it's very possible that they could have only done flash in the 50 model to save money. Either way, I'll get back to you guys with more information.

I decided to include a photo from my board... this was using my roommate's cheap camera... which is to say it doesn't have the best quality

Posted Image

There are 3 'IC's on the board. there is a small, 16-PIN SMT chip on the top right, 72HC4053D which is a logic gate of some king, may also be used to drive the crystals to produce clock signals. The glop-top is the supposed NOAC, and the bottom is a 32Mb flash chip by Micron, 90ns access speed: Part number 29LV329BTC-90. Note that this flash is rather... slow. it can only be read at 1/2 the speed of the fastest oscillator, which normally isn't an issue (considering the NES access timing)

the Two oscillators are: 21.474424 (NTSC Color burst x6, this is the standard speed for a NES crystal. It's interally divided by 12 to produce the CPU clock, the video is actually double clocked out using a 12-bit ring counter to produce 12 colors and 2 'white' palettes at 4 lum levels. The clock signal is applied to the A0 on a 12x16 rom. 'Kevtris' has some good info on this if you want to look it up). The other oscillator is 26.60712. This crystal presents no real information to me, it may be used for PAL timing, if the thing is biregional. That, however, is highly unlikely (it's cheaper to build 2 models).

26.601714 = PAL color burst x12 (close!)

The rest is just your standard run of the mill off the shelf transistors, caps and resistors. I believe there is a 3.3v regulator near the top under a barrel package cap (labled U4).

The LCD has no part number. It's most likely some cheap no-controller jobber. No real way to tell without being able to scope it, and unfortunately, ours in is the shop.

#32 Cheetatron   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   2 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Cheetatron

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

<edit> Yes, at least one glop top is the CPU

Mine doesn't even have a 2nd glop top. It may very well depend on the shipment if you have a glop top rom, or even your model. If there are 3 version, it's very possible that they could have only done flash in the 50 model to save money. Either way, I'll get back to you guys with more information.

I decided to include a photo from my board... this was using my roommate's cheap camera... which is to say it doesn't have the best quality

Posted Image

I am glad someone is looking into modding this series of units, the radio shack I work at has the 75 game one on display I'll try to get some good 5mp pix of it.

#33 asterick   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   8 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

asterick

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

I am glad someone is looking into modding this series of units, the radio shack I work at has the 75 game one on display I'll try to get some good 5mp pix of it.

That would be awesome.

Oh, It might take a bit to get a dump of the rom. I have 2 options 1: destroy the glop top to keep it from driving the address lines on the board, or try to watch the bus using 'crafty' methods and slowly rebuild the data from it.

#34 asterick   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   8 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

asterick

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:34 PM

UPDATE: I ordered a 48-TSOP adapter for the dataman. Hopefully, in 1-2 weeks, I will have it, and can rip the flash from this thing, and possibly reprogram it (if it's an NROM nes)

#35 asterick   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   8 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

asterick

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:31 PM

I tooks some pictures with the 6.1 SLR I have at work (Beware, very large):

Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 Photo 4 Photo 5 Photo 6 Photo 7

Each one is ~4MB a piece.

#36 WackyNutty   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   5 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

WackyNutty

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

:bouncy:This looks like a fun little system to keep around, maybe in your car or bathroom or something. It's no GBA, but it looks like it would be fun to pick up every now and then.

Is the Screen backlit? I'd like to see some photos of the case closed from different angles, if anyone can take them.

#37 asterick   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   8 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

asterick

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:25 PM

:bouncy:This looks like a fun little system to keep around, maybe in your car or bathroom or something. It's no GBA, but it looks like it would be fun to pick up every now and then.

Is the Screen backlit? I'd like to see some photos of the case closed from different angles, if anyone can take them.

The case is pretty much what you see in the picture, with 2 headphone like jacks on the top. there is one that is smaller (~1.25mm) that is used for video out. It has a small bulge in the back where the 3 AAA's go.

The screen is backlit. We did some pixel counting, and the resolution is around 224-240 x 224... which is basically NTSC compatible. The thing is driven by 10 wires (2 wired together with a via, 2 GND, 2 VCC, and 4 other unknowns).

with the shielding being so close to the edge of the glass, and there is no aparent PCB on the thing, I'm going to assume that the thing has a controller in the glop-top. This would make it exceedingly difficult to use it in other hobby projects. My guess is that the 2 wired together are VSYNC, 3 for R/G/B, and 1 for HSYNC. This would make it simple to interface if you were outputting NTSC. I'm also guessing that the LCD is based around the PAL signal as far as timing goes, due to the weird color edges. It might also be 3 lum levels and it scans R/G/B sequentially.

of course, this is all speculation unless I can wire it up to a scope.

#38 xorealix   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

I took some pictures of my Max's motherboard. I'm not too good with photographing electronics, so please forgive the occasional blur.

VG Pocket Max Pictures

#39 asterick   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   8 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

asterick

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:17 AM

I took some pictures of my Max's motherboard. I'm not too good with photographing electronics, so please forgive the occasional blur.

VG Pocket Max Pictures

Yep, as I expected, the 2nd glop top is a rom. I'm assuming they didn't want to shell out the extra money for the 64Mb FLASH chip. There is really no easy way to dump the memory from something like that without scoping all the pins... and that will be a feat and a half.

#40 Ebraum   Captain Hwdy CAGiversary!   1239 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:55 PM

Link for it at RadioShack.com

http://www.radioshac...rentPage=family
There is no Gravity.......The World Just Sucks.
My CheapAss Game list
http://users.ign.com/collection/Ebraum

Posted Image

#41 xorealix   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:46 AM

I'm still classifying the VG Pocket Lite as unconfirmed until somebody can verify it with pictures (or a screenshot of an ad showing all 3 versions). It would help if the company would bring up at least one of their websites.

#42 NesHavok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   830 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

NesHavok

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:51 AM

http://www.radioshac...pi-2163471.html

here's rs's site where you can buy this handheld if you dare, but if I were me, I'd wait until they make one worth buying or buy an older one worth the money.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#43 analoguesque   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   4 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

analoguesque

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:10 AM

Look for it at Wal*Mart.com - They do sell it in the brick and mortar store.

I'm still classifying the VG Pocket Lite as unconfirmed until somebody can verify it with pictures (or a screenshot of an ad showing all 3 versions). It would help if the company would bring up at least one of their websites.

#44 The Dord   Game Center CX fan CAGiversary!   728 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:24 PM

http://www.radioshac...pi-2163471.html

here's rs's site where you can buy this handheld if you dare, but if I were me, I'd wait until they make one worth buying or buy an older one worth the money.

Its on sale for $39 instead of $59! Thanks for the link!

Posted Image
Bing rewards. Earn Points for free Microsoft Points!

#45 WackyNutty   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   5 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

WackyNutty

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

It has a pool game on it. That's good enough for me! :applause:

You could always make it a keychain, and have the dopest keychain in the universe. 8-)

#46 Demontooth   not as cheap as I used to be CAGiversary!   1527 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Demontooth

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:45 PM

I saw them in Wal-Mart yesterday.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly

772756.png

772754.png

#47 sying   Speedy1961 Defense Force CAGiversary!   2261 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

Ive seen it at my local Rhino. Its craptastic.

#48 xorealix   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

Alright, thanks guys. I'll try going to WM and picking one up some time this year.

#49 xorealix   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:43 AM

Wow, thanks to this site, I found this:

JungleTac

It would appear that they are the manufacturers of a wide array of Plug and Play products. Just at a glance, it would appear that they make the VG Pocket and the DreamGear TV Games. Perhaps companies like Pelican and DreamGear are just distributers?

Also on the first linked page, the author claims it is indeed a NOAC. After comparing the games on the handheld to the games on the Power Player I recently obtained, I would have to agree.

On a side note, is that really the 30 version VG Pocket? (The M-1500). Why didn't anybody mention that it's insanely different from the other two versions?

I would really love to get my hands on that 16-bit portable, the M-2500k.

#50 caa718   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:55 PM

I justed wanted to say that I received the vgPocket for christmas. I saw it at GameStop and just thought it was really cool looking. My girlfriend bought it for me and overall, I think it is a nice system. I have the 50 game one and am a fan of older games. The games are rather simple for the most part, but there is one shooter called air war that is very entertaining. I did notice that the directional pad is sometimes not real responsive, but is not incredibly horrible. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let us know. There are a couple other games that I thought were worth having this system. A game called Jewels which is a version of the old game columns, a pool game, and possibly one or two other logic games have potential if you are into that type of games. I will post a full list of games soon. The other feature that I think is very nice, is the brighness and clearness of the 2.0" color screen. The screen is and A+ in my eyes. For the price of this system, whick since I did not buy it, I think is somewhere around $30-$40, this screen is unbeleivably clear and bright. If anyone finds anyway to add games to this system, I would love to know how to mod this system. The hardware is great, it just needs some games replaced. Maybe a small RPG and a console Mariolike game would be great. It seems like this may be another system that has great potential but no support, and unfortunately not much work on the games. I bought a sharp wizard pda a few years back and the same thing. Great system, great potential, no support. Overall, I enjoy it though. Great Gift.

#51 caa718   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

Here is a list of the games included on the vgPocket VG-2000 (50 Games). I will write reviews in another post on some of the games that I have played and feel are worth a review. If someone has the 75 game model, I would like to know how many games are different between the 50 game model and the 75 game model and if there are any good games on the 75 game model.

Action:

Get it Right
Lawn Gems
Leap
Road Works
Smash Ball

Racing:

Bandit Racer
Motor Rally
Road Ace
Road Race

Shooting:

Air War
Earth's Star Fighter
Quick Shot
Sky Fighter
Space Shooter
Sub Hunter

Sports:

Bulls-eye
Free Throws
Surfs Up
Target Shoot

Wits:

Bird Craze
Bird Droppings
Bounce
Butterfly Catch
Chuck Holes
Dragon's Tail
Drop and Stock
Egg Catcher
Fire Fight
Flying Fish
Fungi
Globs
Go Ball
Go Bang
Grow and Mow
Jewels
Matching Diamonds
Fun Moves
Paddle Ball
Paint
Patch'n Go
Pipelines
Pool Pro
Rainbows
Richochet
River Racing
Sea Destroyer
Sky Mission
Smart Monkey
Spin Ball
Wake The Baby

#52 toymaker   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   2 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

toymaker

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:59 PM

--Adventure--
Balloon Catcher
Get it Right
Jump
Leap
Night Monster
Penguin Island - Not bad 5 mini games
Quick Match
Road Works - Great Puzzle Game
Sea Voyage
Smash Ball
Worm Catcher
--Racing--
Autobahn
Bandit Racer
Bridge Driver
Freeway
Motor Rally
Off-Roader
Race and Ram
Road Ace
Road Race
Road Rally
Street Bike Racing
Trucker
World Racing
--Shooting--
Air War - A bit like 1941
Earth's Star Fighter - Shooter with both air and ground targets
Mutant Hunt - Shooter with both air and ground targets
Quick Shot - Space Invaders Clone
Sky Fighter - Galaxian / Galaga clone
Starcraft Attack - Galaxian / Galaga clone
--Sports--
Boat Racer
Bulls-eye - Weird target shooting / dart like game
Free Throws
Knockem Down
Rackets
Surfs Up
Target Shoot
--Wits--
Bird Craze
Bird Droppings
Bounce
Butterfly Catch
Cats and Dogs
Chuck Holes
Dragon's Tail
Drop and Stock
Egg Catcher
Fire Fight
Flying Fish
Fungi - A bit like Pac Man
Fun Moves - Neat line 3 up puzzle game like Bejeweled
Globs
Go Ball
Go Bang - Go puzzle gang
Grow and Mow
Jewels - very fun puzzle game kinda like Tetris
Marble Max
Matching Diamonds
Paddle Ball
Paint
Patch n Go
Pipelines
Pool Pro - Decent pool sim for a handheld
Pop the Lop - whack a mole based game
Puzzle Box - neat maze / puzzle game
Rocochet - Breakout clone
Risk It - A Donkey Kong style game
River Racing
Sea Destroyer
Sea World
Sky Mission
Smart Monkey
Spin Ball - Neat maze puzzle game
Table Ball - Ping Pong style game
Tile Tizzle - Neat tile matching game
Wake the Baby

#53 toymaker   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   2 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

toymaker

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

vg2000 seems to have 4 games not found on the vg3000

--Action--
Lawn Gems
--Shooting--
Space Shooter
Sub Hunter
--Wits--
Rainbows

vg3000 has 29 games not found on the vg2000
In my opinion Penguin Island, Puzzle Box and Tile Tizzle are the only 3 that are not on the vg2000 that are worth playing.

--Action--
Balloon Catcher
Jump
Night Monster
Penguin Island - Not bad 5 mini games
Quick Match
Sea Voyage
Worm Catcher
--Racing--
Autobahn
Bridge Driver
Freeway
Off-Roader
Race and Ram
Road Rally
Street Bike Racing
Trucker
World Racing
--Shooting--
Mutant Hunt - Shooter with both air and ground targets
Starcraft Attack - Galaxian / Galaga clone
--Sports--
Boat Racer
Knockem Down
Rackets
--Wits--
Cats and Dogs
Marble Max
Pop the Lop - whack a mole based game
Puzzle Box - neat maze / puzzle game
Risk It - A Donkey Kong style game
Sea World
Table Ball - Ping Pong style game
Tile Tizzle - Neat tile matching game

#54 caa718   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:25 AM

Penguin Island sounds like a cool game, I wish the vg2000 had that game. I am interested in knowing anything about possibly hacking this system. I would love to have an RPG on this nice color screen to take along with me.

#55 caa718   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:27 AM

How many people are still actively reading the replies on this post? If you are, post some ideas or things you would be interested in regarding this system.

#56 caa718   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:08 PM

Chuck Holes Review (VG-2000):

This game is located under the wits category and is very entertaining. If you like logic games, you will find this game fun to play. This game is like a combination of Gauntlet, and Dig-Dug. The main character resembles the popular Nintendo character Kurby. I have finished several levels and so far have found that the game looks great and plays well. The object of the game is to fill the holes in the road with stones in order to make yourself a smooth road, you must then push the ball into place to open the treasure chest and move onto the next level. There are more obstacles to this game as well, that make it very entertaining. It has some aspects of an RPG in some respects. On a couple of the levels that I have played, you must work your way toward a key to open the door that allows you access to the teasure chest and the next level. This game is one of the few that definately make this system worth purchasing. I give this game an A+ for overall look and feel. I give it a B+ for playability, only because the vg-2000 direction controls are sometimes difficult, although it seems as I play more, and the controls get broke in a little more, they seem to work better.

#57 blankmediapro   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

blankmediapro

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:04 PM

I have been monitoring the posts on this forum for a few days and would like to add my thoughts. I work at a wal-amrt and happened to see the vg pocket max and picked one up for under 40 bucks. I had a few thoughts about it that may be nice to roll around. If indeed it is a NOAC, then it may be possible to mod the unit with an SD card slot on the side once several pretests are done. If anyone can dump the roms in the unit, then we can find out about the pre loader directory and move on from there. Also no one mentioned that the left side of the screen cuts off about a tiles worth of graphics. 8 pix. no biggie but worth mentioning. hooking it up to a tv corrects this.On a side note, I also picked up another tv plug n play device about a week earlier and it has to be the same thing cause it plays many of the same games. If it can be used to run test on before the pocxket then that will help other from destroying the pocket. And I bet that the unit may have pin outs for a start and select that arent used. just mod again with a start and select on the bottom left and right of the screen for these.

#58 blankmediapro   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

blankmediapro

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

I was also going to try and take a high res image of the circuitboard for layingtout the tracks better to work with.

#59 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:37 PM

well, most people seem to forget that copyright on a lot of nintendo stuff is expiring now, so this can totally be legit... too bad theres not more details, could be very interesting

While Nintendo itself is more than 95 years old, none of its video games is.

#60 caa718   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

First of all everyone, HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Second, I would be interested in trying to dump the ROM on the system, but I am new to this. Does anyone have a website that I could read up on dumping a ROM image? Also, I would like to practice on a cheaper game system, not my vg, which I love and do not want to destroy for testing purposes. Any ideas, just let me know. I think blankmediapro is headed in the direction that I was thinking. The SD slot is a great idea if it would work.