The official I HATE EB GAMES thread

Mr_hockey66

CAGiversary!
Feedback
254 (100%)
I really hate eb now. I figured I would start a topic on our hatred for this store. If you have had problems with them list them here. First their prices suck, second their trade in values suck, third it sucks that when you buy new you get opened and beat up games, forth they charge you shiping when you ordered wtih free shipping, sixth it sucks for sales tax, seventh they are pricks, eight They act like there are no other game stores in the world, nine they don't price match their own website, ten their pricks.

Anyone else have simmialr problems?

Don't hold back..let us know how you really feel!!!

But on a side note, their prices aren't that bad. Some EB stores will still price match other stores, but they still won't match the internet. Oh well...

UKHoops

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I really hate eb now. I figured I would start a topic on our hatred for this store. If you have had problems with them list them here. First their prices suck, second their trade in values suck, third it sucks that when you buy new you get opened and beat up games, forth they charge you shiping when you ordered wtih free shipping, sixth it sucks for sales tax, seventh they are pricks, eight They act like there are no other game stores in the world, nine they don't price match their own website, ten their pricks.

Anyone else have simmialr problems?[/quote]

Amen. I don't even look at the deals posted if they are from EBGames. Bleh.

My eb's price are terrible! They want unreal prices for game especially when they only give two bucks for them.

Nope I don't think they will sell many tetris/star wars combo with out the case or instuctions for 29.99

I just don't see how then can give ten bucks for a new realse game then turn aroung and sell it for 44 woo hoo big savings there! A whole five bucks!

meh.. I still love their LIMITED price drops.. CS, MM:NT and Wario World for $35 shipped ...if I have a retailer I hate it would be Best Buy.

well umm i have never had to pay shipping typically get my games shipped at 25% off of what gamestop is charging get one cent guides there also they reguarlly give me pleanty of the extra little stuff they get for pre-orders and such. Maybe I am just lucky.

The occasional suprise deal is nice from the website but now that it's getting more and more risky to order from them for fear of getting a preopened copy they've really become useless.

Their instore prices do suck, but then again I shop in manhattan... but even then they're in an area with 3 other major game shops and their prices are like the second WORST. They dont even TRY to get you to concider them any more, it's like all they ever concetrate on is getting you to trade in lots of things for poor amounts of credit on new products. They seem to thrive on parents with too much money to shop with them.

EB's return policy sucks all kinds of balls, it;s like you might as well not bother trying to return defective merchandise even WITH the receipt because they arnt interested in giving you your money back or a product you'd be saticefied with. I refuse to shop with them any more.

The only thing I really hate about EB is the fact that they more than any other retailer I know of are harming the game industry by practically FOCUSING on thier preowned games market and decreasing retail sales for games. Every commercial I've seen for EBgames is ONLY about thier preowned games and consoles. I find it enfuriating that one of the biggest video game retailers in the world is so actively pursuing such damaging business practices. I'm sure the preowned market is very profitable for them since they tend to buy for very little and sell for 1 1/2 - 2 times as much.

Of course, this way the trade in cycle makes game sales figures poorer, which means that many great games will sell poorly and be lost into obscurity within very short time. Frankly, I think that it should be illegal for major game retailers to buy and sell used games in order to establish a healthier game market. Games are getting more and more expensive to make, and with the used games market cutting into profits companies are going to start taking less risks with thier funding which means more and more recycled game ideas, infinite sequels, and focus group tested tripe. I say leave used games to auction sites and stuff like Amazon's marketplace/ half.com. Used games may occasionally be nice for Cheapass deals, but I'd rather have a healthy game industry.

[quote name='Alpha2']
EB's return policy sucks all kinds of balls, it;s like you might as well not bother trying to return defective merchandise even WITH the receipt because they arnt interested in giving you your money back or a product you'd be saticefied with. I refuse to shop with them any more.[/quote] You have to fucking jump through hoops like a dog. I called the store I bought the game at and they said I should have no problems returning a defective game, but both Wilmington stores gave me a ration of shit(and I really mean shit). I talked to 2 CSR's and a district manager before they gave me my 14 bucks back. Took about a month to return the game

offtopic

i heard once that r:racing for ps2 had the original ps version inside hidden? can anyone confirm?? also is there a link for the gc version

shaq-fu EB right up the poop chute........i seriously hate them. and i am glad i moved about a whole hour away from one instead of being 10 minutes away from it. i seriously hate what they do and it makes me wanna start my own chain of stores with ALL games INCLUDING the classics and i will give all the non used promo stuff that myself or the other workers dont want out in a free or cheap bin type thing.......now whos with me???

[quote name='russtophiles']The only thing I really hate about EB is the fact that they more than any other retailer I know of are harming the game industry by practically FOCUSING on thier preowned games market and decreasing retail sales for games. Every commercial I've seen for EBgames is ONLY about thier preowned games and consoles. I find it enfuriating that one of the biggest video game retailers in the world is so actively pursuing such damaging business practices. I'm sure the preowned market is very profitable for them since they tend to buy for very little and sell for 1 1/2 - 2 times as much.

Of course, this way the trade in cycle makes game sales figures poorer, which means that many great games will sell poorly and be lost into obscurity within very short time. Frankly, I think that it should be illegal for major game retailers to buy and sell used games in order to establish a healthier game market. Games are getting more and more expensive to make, and with the used games market cutting into profits companies are going to start taking less risks with thier funding which means more and more recycled game ideas, infinite sequels, and focus group tested tripe. I say leave used games to auction sites and stuff like Amazon's marketplace/ half.com. Used games may occasionally be nice for Cheapass deals, but I'd rather have a healthy game industry.[/quote]

While we're at it let's ban used car sales, Ford and GM have been taking a beating for years. People shouldn't be allowed to buy used cars and take money out of the car companies pockets. :roll:

It's basic econ. If people are willing to wait for cheaper prices on used games, then maybe the game companies should start selling games at lower prices. This is already being done in some cases (ESPN games, Colin McRae, even most Sony titles), and I bet you will see more and more games launch for less than $50.

first i'd like to say i'm glad this is the "official" thread, or else i wouldnt have come in...

but i would also like to say that this describes gamestop also :p

i dont have an eb in my town, but i'm guessing this may be the same in eb as in gamestop... i like how the gamestop in my town has used games that are priced more than new versions of the game at walmart...

Ebgames.com is great for me, but their B&M stores can suck my hairy white...eh... you get it.

The only new games I buy are GBA games, and only half the time.

I check for the stamp on the board evvery time I buy a GBA game from any store.

I hate their "new yet opened" games policy and all the stickers they put on games.

But I can't complain about EBgames.com, I have gotten some great deals there including the recent WW, MM: NT and 1080 deal.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I just don't see how then can give ten bucks for a new realse game then turn aroung and sell it for 44 woo hoo big savings there! A whole five bucks![/quote]

Let me break this down for you:

They can buy a product for $10 if somebody will sell it to them for $10.

They can sell a product for $44 if somebody will buy it from them for $44.

Capitalism. See how it works?

Or maybe you want the government to regulate how much profit can be made on any type of product?

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Mr_hockey66']I just don't see how then can give ten bucks for a new realse game then turn aroung and sell it for 44 woo hoo big savings there! A whole five bucks![/quote]

Let me break this down for you:

They can buy a product for $10 if somebody will sell it to them for $10.

They can sell a product for $44 if somebody will buy it from them for $44.

Capitalism. See how it works?

Or maybe you want the government to regulate how much profit can be made on any type of product?[/quote]

Yep, there are some suckers out there who actually sell games that cheap and buy it for that expensive used. Can't fault the store for getting the max money possible.

Maybe they're not suckers. Maybe the sellers needed the money right then and there. Maybe the buyers wanted to play the game that day.

___ Different products and services have different values for different consumers ___

Let me tell you why eb really sucks. Anytime that best buy or circuit city clearance a game, let's take ($5) metal arms for example, they send there little sniveling bitches over to buy all the copies first thing in the morning, and then they resell them at a higher price. I have several friends who work at BB and watch them do this. Never even give people a chance to snag a copy. Bitches.

A lot of people have seen my pics, but a lot of people haven't seen them, so.... they sent me this when I ordered it NEW:

seal.jpg
disc.jpg

disc2.jpg

[quote name='eldad9']__ Different products and services have different values for different consumers ___[/quote]

Except when you buy from EB, in which case you just get fucked.

[quote name='eldad9']Post the one with the skating duck![/quote]

I don't have that one anymore because Cheapy deleted the topic with it. :(

I've ordered two "new" games from EB and both came resealed and had fingerprints on the discs. I won't be shopping from these guys again.

[quote name='Renzokuken']red, did u get ur refund?[/quote]

Yeah, I did. I also told them they were a bunch of fucking idiots that don't deserve my money anymore.

You guys misewell hate Gamestop for the same reason. I bought atleast three + games "new" from Gamestop only for them to have it re-sealed used and/or "the floor model" only to see the same game up the next day. I honestly don't know why somebody doesn't step in (maybe government or something? what do I know) to stop the used games being sold as new crap. Wal-Mart is pretty bad with this to (or maybe any other retailer for that matter) where they accept returns that don't look too tampered with and return them to the floor, and sell them as "new". Right.

It's like my girlfriend telling me she's a virgin, only to find out she was in used condition :p

Either way, I can't say I've gotten one (yes, not one) "used" new game from EB yet (B&M AND Online, and I've been buying from them for over four +years. I guess It's bound to happen though) . They either really like me or I've gotten really lucky. But Gamestop and the Software Etc./Gamestop at the mall has screwed me over way too many times, I never buy from them unless their deals are flat our better then EB's or EB doesn't carry the product.

Of course now EB charges me tax on their games online, something Gamestop isn't doing atm. *sighs* So I paid several more dollars towards EB for the same product I could have gotten at Gamestop.

blah, blah, blah...

I bought an openeded "new" game from Gamestop once(even though there was a scratch on it, but it was only $10 so I said "what the hey"). Gamestop's return policy is only 7 days, and my game wouldent work, and the fool at Gamestop wouldent let me return it, but he offered me a $1 store credit. I should have asked him why the heck he wanted a broken game to sell used.

i like how instead of pealing the security labels off, they just rip the case open. and leave the torn pieces of security label all over it.

Quite honestly, alot of people's problems with EB seems to be that they do business in a profitable manner... and thats sad.

Their return policy isn't a problem if you dont try to be a penis about things.. I got a defective copy of Oracle of Seasons, brought it into the store with my receipt, got another copy.. no questions asked.

They charge tax because their are laws that say they have to charge tax.. they aren't making more money off of your tax dollars. By changing their structure to allow you to return in store, they brought .com and B&M into one company.. by doing that, they have to charge tax to any state they have a building in.

I'm miffed at EB right now, because their checkout process is not working for me and I've missed out on Wario World and 1080 4 or 5 times and can't get I-Ninja because of it. But really, most of this seems like uneducated whining.

OH - Having some prick employees does not reflect the entire company.

I didn't wanna get into it because I know I'll just get flamed on...but I think its funny how everyone on here is complaining about eb, but as soon as a really good deal comes our way from eb, everyone jumps at it...only to either have a bad experience or a good experience....their are certainly more good than bad, you just don't hear about it because people only wanna hear bad news, its more interesting....that said, i have many problems with different stores from time to time...but i know that 95% of the time it was just some dick employee not giving a shit...so dont blame the company...yes, they did hire that dick, but is eb really gonna keep a close eye on everyone of its employees? and while it may be company policy to reseal display copies and sale them as brand new...employees do know the difference between a scratched to hell copy and a flawless copy

I should be getting my Counter Strike $9.99 NEW from EBgames.com anytime soon. I'm real curious to see if I get a game like redgopher got. This is actually the first time I've ever ordered from them online because I was skeptical of the Used-as-New practices.

I have also fallen victim to their devious sales tactics in-store. Once when I bought Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast. Was charged full price for it, took it home, opened the saran-wrap like shrink wrap, looked at the disc (covered in scratches and fingerprints) put it in, wouldn't boot up. I had to make another trip to the mall and get it replaced for a NEW copy.

The thing I don't appreciate is the fact that these stores say "Guaranteed to Work." Yet I bought a BRAND NEW Sonic and it didn't work because it was used. I think the thing that really gets to me is that as consumers we're getting ripped off (It's a textbook Bait-And-Switch tactic) but we have to get in our vehicles and make another trip to the Evil Empire to exchange a product we just purchased.

And for some of you EB employees, you guys do act like ASSHOLES when someone doesn't want that last NEW (on the shelf) copy of a game. Don't give me shit and make a face and sigh like it's the end of the world. You're there to provide a service to the customer and you get paid for it. So just do your job.

[quote name='explorer1990']I should be getting my Counter Strike $9.99 NEW from EBgames.com anytime soon. I'm real curious to see if I get a game like redgopher got. This is actually the first time I've ever ordered from them online because I was skeptical of the Used-as-New practices.[/quote]

Chances are your game will be factory sealed. Out of the 8 new games I have ordered from them, 1 of them was used-as-new (the pictures I posted are of that game). Honestly, once was enough to keep me from ordering again.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Quite honestly, alot of people's problems with EB seems to be that they do business in a profitable manner... and thats sad. [/quote]

No, we're pissed at them because they do business in a SHODDY manner. Why don't you read all the posts before you reply instead of being a dumbass? Didn't you see the pictures of my "new" game?

MY EB store is actually very nice. The staff, who I am actually really good friends with now, is not a bunch of register biscuits that spout off retarded crap. They also do a really good job at taking care of customers.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Quite honestly, alot of people's problems with EB seems to be that they do business in a profitable manner... and thats sad.

Their return policy isn't a problem if you dont try to be a penis about things.. I got a defective copy of Oracle of Seasons, brought it into the store with my receipt, got another copy.. no questions asked.

They charge tax because their are laws that say they have to charge tax.. they aren't making more money off of your tax dollars. By changing their structure to allow you to return in store, they brought .com and B&M into one company.. by doing that, they have to charge tax to any state they have a building in.

I'm miffed at EB right now, because their checkout process is not working for me and I've missed out on Wario World and 1080 4 or 5 times and can't get I-Ninja because of it. But really, most of this seems like uneducated whining.

OH - Having some prick employees does not reflect the entire company.[/quote]

Delete your cookies.... that fixed my problem.

[quote name='redgopher']A lot of people have seen my pics, but a lot of people haven't seen them, so.... they sent me this when I ordered it NEW:

seal.jpg
disc.jpg

disc2.jpg
[/quote]

REEMED.

Just out of curiosity, Redgopher, what did you do to rectify the situation? Did you send it back or do an in-store return? And did they give you a hassle?

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I really hate eb now. I figured I would start a topic on our hatred for this store. If you have had problems with them list them here. First their prices suck, second their trade in values suck, third it sucks that when you buy new you get opened and beat up games, forth they charge you shiping when you ordered wtih free shipping, sixth it sucks for sales tax, seventh they are pricks, eight They act like there are no other game stores in the world, nine they don't price match their own website, ten their pricks.

Anyone else have simmialr problems?[/quote]

Your arguement is pointless and you'll see why here.

1.First their prices suck (a $5 dollar give or take is standard here. This arguement is pointless)
2.Trade in Values suck (When you buy a game for $50, you should plan on getting you $50 bucks worth...They trade standard pawn shop rules...they pay 45% of what they would sell it for)
3.when you buy new you get opened and beat up games (That does suck, of course you can at least take a new game back [for 14 days I think, 30 if it was from online], gamestop wont let you at all.)
4.they charge you shiping when you ordered wtih free shipping (well that sucks, but thats what customer service is for, every call I've made I got things fixed in 5 mins. Just remember you can catch more flies with sugar)
5.(You skipped 5)
6.sucks for sales tax (Yea, govt law sucks dont it...)
7. they are pricks (Try not being an ass when something goes wrong...I cant tell since you wrote "They are pricks" twice, you may not be the most mature in the bunch. Have you ever had a problem, and they fixed it and you sent a thank you letter? I sure you havent, but I'm sure you've ran in a B&M store bitching about online sales...just remember, they're two completely different operations)
8.They act like there are no other game stores in the world (I dont even get how you thought this...did they tell you that as a whole)
9.don't price match their own website (80% of all companies wont do that...victoria's secret for example is owned by a different company online...so you never see the same stuff online and in a B&M. It's hard to mix B&M and online sales...plus think about this...a B&M has to pay rent, electric, pay it's employees, deal with trades, deal with building code....Online only has to pay the phone techs...so you should see why they wouldnt price match with an easy to operate online store. Try to find a bookstore cheaper than Amazon.)
10. their pricks (It's "They're Pricks" - and since you typed this one twice and left out a fifth reason...you are officially an idiot.

I understand how you feel about EB. I recently bought a preowned GameCube game from EBgames.com. When I got it, the disc was all scratched up and cracked around the center of the disc. It wasn't even in a GameCube game case. Instead they put it in a regular DVD case. And the case cover was all ripped up. That's the condition they sell their preowned games in.

[quote name='explorer1990']Just out of curiosity, Redgopher, what did you do to rectify the situation? Did you send it back or do an in-store return? And did they give you a hassle?[/quote]

I sent it back and they gave me a refund. That still doesn't make me feel better about ordering from them again, because they never should have sent that shit in the first place.

im out of the loop i guess, the only problem i ever had was they cancelled the free DTR with breakdown and that was fixed with one email. and without those idiots taking so little in trade in how would i ever buy games so cheap? i used to prefer funcoland as far as B&M, but when they cleared out all the classic games and changed it to a regular gamestop i stopped going there.

bread's done
Back