G4 cancels G4TV.com and Filter

[quote name='CheapyD']http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000337072282/

I think we might talk about this on tonights CAGcast, so post your thoughts here and you might just hear your words on the (internet) air![/QUOTE]

Meh...Filter was an average show at best (never did agree with the rankings anyway) and G4TV.com was extraneous. Hopefully they'll come up with something like CheapyD's Podcast or something that is more useful.

That being said, any chance they'll can Attack of the Show? Please!

As much as I didn't love Filter, it was one of the few remaining watchable shows on G4. G4TV.com, however, was the only show left on the network set to record on my PVR. I do see why it was cancelled (3 probably relatively well-paid hosts for 30 mins a week that could be mixed into AOTS seems to be overkill) but it is still annoying. I guess I just don't know what the network is trying to do. SpikeTV already has them beaten on the "shows for males that nobody ever wants to see on television" department and is adding more gaming content as well (Gamehead, strangley is hostedy by one Geoff Keighley of G4TV.com).

Whoever runs that network really should have been fired about 10 times by now as they haven't made a sensible move in months. (Also note the hilarious time changes to all West Coast programming since the 360 Live show that STILL are not updated on my PVR).

I guess maybe they should bring back Arena! so we have some more filler.

I liked those 2 shows mostly cos the female hosts were hotties. ;)

But filter has gone way downhill now that they a) Dont rank games anymore, and b) focus half the show on new release dvds and mp3 players and crap. They already do the new release dvd thing on AOTS. And theres really no info or even opinion disseminated on the show, its just 30 minutes of hype.

G4tv.com I liked alot better. I thought the show contained alot of thought provoking opinions and good banter about the current games and game related topics. Tina I think was one of the head writers for the channel and I thought she came up with alot of good stuff, both on that show and others.

AOTS I like except for one thing... Kevin Pererra. I dont know whose dick he sucked to rise to the top of that channel, but he is one of the most annoying hosts Ive ever had the displeasure of watching. I wish he would go back to being the sidekick on Arena and his just say 'MOE' haircut.

One show I really wish they would bring back is Pulse. It was a 30 minute news show where they treated game industry news like it was real news. In half an hour of that show I could learn what I learned in a week of reading gamespot, ign, and 1up.com.

They also need to get rid of all the non gaming related shows. Man Show? Yeah it was funny when I first saw it 5 years ago. Fast Lane? Iwatched it on fox. Street Fury, aka chubby asian midget whores? What does that have to do with gaming? And an entire freaking show on drift racing??? WTF?

I understand why stuff like Man show and Fastlane are on, theyre cheap. No production costs like their real shows, thats why they will never get cancelled. But if your gonna commit to a channel about gaming, make it about gaming!

Really not surprising at all. I couldn't stand either show and they added very little that wasn't already covered in other shows on G4. The nice thing about all of this is that all the old Tech TV guys are already doing their own Podcasts, Video Podcasts, and IPTV, so you can get all the great content that used to be on G4/TechTV for free on your computer and without commercials. Hopefully, some of the game related shows will eventually take this route once G4 ceases to exist.

G4tv was about the only show I watched any more, they actually interviewed game developers and publishers and got some information out about actual GAMES. filter had run its course, one can only filter things so many times.

So what gaming related programs does that leave on G4? cheat (arg can't stand it) an occasional new ICONS, am I missing any? AOTS is unwatchable now as they are trying to become somesort of cheap and mediocre "Man show' for 20 people that watch.

edit forgot about xplay. and the two rerun shows.

Filter was decent when it was just top-ten lists about game-related topics.

It just became a pile of crap when they went to that new format about new-release DVDs and such.

I wonder if they'll air a "Top 10 Reasons Filter Got Cancelled" show. :lol:

*crickets* I've been completely apathetic to that station for a while now. It's turned into a hyperactive, obnoxious redheaded stepchild that you would want to slap and inject with thorazine.

Too bad for Diane Mizota. Unfortunately, Filter was a crappy show. I do wish they had swapped AOTS for G4TV.com on the chopping block, but the way things are going on that network, I'm no longer surprised by the stuff they do. G4--the lesser Spike TV...

Nooooooooo. Damn it, I loved G4TV.com, they should cancel X-Play instead, that sesler and that manly chick morgan are soo anoying. Damn G4TV.com was the only show I watched on there. Motherefers...

G4TV.com was good, and Filter was okay...I also hear that they will be changing Icons as well. Icons was one of the best shows on G4 and it is a shame that they will change it.

G4TV.com was decent, although I haven't watched it in quite a while. Never really cared for Filter. In fact the past few Filters I've caught (usually watch about 30 seconds before flipping channels) seemed to be about non-gaming rankings anyway. I actually don't watch much G4 at all and I used to watch The Screen Savers pretty much every day.

I do Tivo Fastlane each week off G4. (Man I wish FOX hadn't canned that one after 1 season...)

The only thing I watch with regularity on G4 is The Man Show. How sad is that? My girl and I love it tho. I miss The Screen Savers and Leo. Isn't Leo supposed to be getting his own show again on G4?

To bad..I enjoyed g4tv.com. Yes they had some stupid ass parts that were appealing to 10 year olds, but they had some solid content. I agree with the poster above about Pulse. That was a great show, and kevin perria at the end of its run was good on the show. He was given limited times, and was good. AOTS sucks, and there is now no reason for me to watch g4

[quote name='oxidative']The only thing I watch with regularity on G4 is The Man Show. How sad is that? My girl and I love it tho. I miss The Screen Savers and Leo. Isn't Leo supposed to be getting his own show again on G4?[/QUOTE]

Leo is on Call For Help. It's on early mornings during the week.

On one of Leo Laporte's This Week in Tech podcasts, he said (I BELIEVE prime time) ratings for G4 were something like 0.01-0.02, with the Man Show getting a 0.09 on average.

[quote name='oxidative']The only thing I watch with regularity on G4 is The Man Show. How sad is that? My girl and I love it tho. I miss The Screen Savers and Leo. Isn't Leo supposed to be getting his own show again on G4?[/QUOTE]

I've seen "A Call For Help" on a couple of times on weekend mornings.

Both of those shows were weak anyway.
They didn't contribute anything.
The main quality shows..........
1. AOTS(best part is they give reports on gamer friendly topics, ie anime/comic books/tv/movies)
2. Versus(the little italian guy is a fool but they do reviews and are polar opposites which is always good)
3. Cinematech(trailers for new and old games. Old games being the key to check out something you might not know about but now want)
4. Xplay(the only review show in exsistence so it has to be included)

Everyhting else should be reworked. And bring back that gadget show(with the asian girl host). Cell phones/palm pilots/everything. That show wasn't to bad.

The G4tv was one of the two shows I watch between cinematech, it was actually interesting, they have nothing but garbage and rehashes on air now.

I feel that both of those (pretty much like every other show on G4TV) were in the category of sucking. I don't even know what that channel is about anymore. On the one hand we get annoying hosts doing review shows and then sometimes I see drift racing, and at other times a see anime. They need to pick a subject and stay with it. And yes, The Screen Savers with Mike and Leo was awesome.

Cinematech is the only good show on G4: I mean, they show footage of old Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast games!! I enjoy the PS2/PSP Japanese game and TV spots too. It's a fun show.

I'm a girl but I've always thought the girls on G4 are all kind of ugly. Morgan is so tall and has that huge chin. Diane was probably the prettiest, but her voice is kind of annoying. Sarah, from Attack of the Show, who shares my name, isn't ugly, but she's not sit up front to your screen pretty either...

Don't get me started about the guys, the girls are waaay better looking than the guys.

I love it when I watch G4 and the girls are wearing some cute shirts or some nice shoes, it's like Style Network and G4 combined!

[quote name='sarausagi']Cinematech is the only good show on G4: I mean, they show footage of old Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast games!! I enjoy the PS2/PSP Japanese game and TV spots too. It's a fun show.

I'm a girl but I've always thought the girls on G4 are all kind of ugly. Morgan is so tall and has that huge chin. Diane was probably the prettiest, but her voice is kind of annoying. Sarah, from Attack of the Show, who shares my name, isn't ugly, but she's not sit up front to your screen pretty either...

Don't get me started about the guys, the girls are waaay better looking than the guys.[/QUOTE]
Adam Sesslar isn't a hottie? :shock:

[quote name='crystalklear64']Adam Sesslar isn't a hottie? :shock:[/QUOTE]

Eww, no.

Unless you like helium filled midgets who don't like anime...

But does anyone watch What Not To Wear on TLC? Sessler reminds me of Clinton...that's not a good thing.

When are they going to kill off that show where they just show random footage over some beeps and whistles? Now that show sucks.

[quote name='Puffa469']I liked those 2 shows mostly cos the female hosts were hotties. ;)

Street Fury, aka chubby asian midget whores? What does that have to do with gaming? [/QUOTE]

That last line made me chuckle :) :lol:

[quote name='crystalklear64']Adam Sesslar isn't a hottie? :shock:[/QUOTE]

Adam Sessler wouldn't as I would put it ... sexy..

more like.. funny and happy-go lucky :D

I enjoyed G4TV.com a little. G4tv really needs to cancel Street fury, Fastlane, etc ( all those new street car shows), They rarely show ICONS(my favorite show). I also enjoy Xplay, Cinematech, USED to like Judgement day(now it's stupid and crappy). Also, I could go w/out Electric playground. Too bad for Filter and G4TV though

Oh no! Geoff Keighley will only get nine checks every month. How will he survive now?

Tina Wood can go back to shilling for Nintendo. She was good at it, so why not?

Apparently, my wife and I are the only people in the world that actually like AOTS, including Kevin and Sarah. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time.

AOTS is pretty good, nice variety of things they do on the show, musical "talent" at the end. Better than G4TV.com IMO, I hated the lesbian couple.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Apparently, my wife and I are the only people in the world that actually like AOTS, including Kevin and Sarah. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time.[/QUOTE]

We watch it sometimes. My wife thinks Kevin is cute and that I look somewhat like him. (I guess I should find out which one of us she thinks is better looking, now that I think about it). :)

So a video game network cancelled two video game related shows after recently purchasing Fastlane and The Man Show?..........can they just cancel the whole channel now?

Man I liked both shows, too bad. They need to cancel attack of the show, there goofy and immature antics/behavior gets old really fast. I wonder what they're going to push, fastlane?

Ok Filter was not a good show because Diane Misota tryed to hard to be funny. Worst host ever. No the other show was good expecially with Tina Wood

[quote name='rodeojones903']I lost all my respect for Filter when they had Shenmue as one of the worst games of all time. I think they had it ranked first or second.[/QUOTE]

They don't do the rankings. People voted on G4's web site.

[quote name='Matt Young']They don't do the rankings. People voted on G4's web site.[/QUOTE]
But from my experiences there, the G4 boards are filled with the second cousins and rejects of GameFAQ's boards.

Judgment Day and Cinematech are the only pure videogame shows on. X-Play tries to have stupid skits and is not as clever as they think. I think Judgment Day is good in that they give reasons for liking or disliking a game. Cinematech is not bad and like the other post said, it is a good way to get a preview of games you may not have seen. AotS is fairly good as well. You really need to have a "particular" sense of humor. It is definitely not for everyone, but I like it. The rest of G4 seems to be Spike TV-Lite.

They could use a show that deals with a man who moved from NYC to Japan and by using the experiences this man faces in a new society. Lace the story around games and his website and it would take off!

I just wish they had more original programming, period. A few hours ago I caught the front end of an Electric Playground where they were going to feature an exciting upcoming game based on the Halo-engine! (Stubbs the Zombie)

Yeah I love listening to those Rev3 podcasts - TWIT, Diggnation. Those guys really have something going and show just what G4 is missing. If any of you haven't yet heard those podcasts, you owe it to yourself to listen to them. Very entertaining and insightful.

As for the G4 cancellations, I think they cancelled the wrong shows. G4TV.com was one of the better shows on that network, because they actually talked about games for a change. And sometimes, they had something interesting to say about them. They only thing I hated was the calls they took during the show. For a network about gamers, couldn't they get some educated comments from their audience? The main problem was that they taped the show during the day on Thursdays, I believe, so the only people they could get to call in were kids at home from school. That's telling when a network can't even connect with its audience. I hadn't seen any of those dumb skits in a while, so I think the producers were making an attempt to make the show a little more serious. So what happens then to Tina Wood?

As for the other gamer girl I haven't had a chance to write about, Diane Mizota, it's too bad Filter was getting cancelled. They were moving away from games and into gadgets (so why did they get rid of Fresh Gear in the first place?), and it was mildly entertaining and informative. Plus Diane is a babe, and a good host to boot. Why not get rid of Cheat instead? That show is a complete waste.

Seriously, G4 has like five shows left. That network is hanging by a thread.

Jeremy

G4 did a good job of destroying filter itself, and g4tv.com was always crap, so really no great loss there. Oddly, I had just watched my first filter in months a few days ago. This is, however, yet another sign that "television for gamers" is meaning less and less programming about actual games. I don't know about everyone else, but the man show and fastlane, among others, have no fucking business on g4. After Rose was let go/fired, and the changes to cinamatech, they only have 3 shows left in my book- X-Play, Icons, and Judgement Day. And hell, they don't even produce one of those. Wonder how long they have left... And this on the same days that Working Designs admits they are dead. The killing off of WD is the last straw for me. I was already leaning toward not getting a PS3, but Sony not certifying WD games is just BS. I really hope Victor Ireland can get a new company together to bring over 360 rpgs, otherwise, no one else probably will. And I want to play [eM], dammit.

bread's done
Back