Fahrenheit 9/11 - Thoughts only if you've seen it.

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Fahrenheit 9/11 - Thoughts only if you've seen it.

Forum is strictly for those who have seen this film. If you have not seen it... please feel free to sit back and read... but please only post if you've actually seen it.

If you have seen this film... post your thoughts on it if you have any.

I'm personally just curious to hear some gamers perspectives.

That's it really.
Thanks!

its not playing in my theater, sorry i know olny post if you seen it but i just think its gay just because the owner is republican

This was a great documentary.

The message of this film was clear, down with Bush. There are tons of facts to indicate that maybe Bush went to war for his own reasons, and told us another. He let us live in fear (terror color scale anyone?), and made sure we wouldn't question him (Patriot Act).

Watch the film, and then make your own choices about our president. Mine were already set, this just helped confirm why I hate the man.

[quote name='punqsux']i wish the film would have spent more time on the patriot act. thats a far worse threat than terrorism.[/quote]

I was suprised to hear a member of congress actually say outright "we don't actually read everything that we vote on. Do you know how long that would take?"

Scary.

[quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='punqsux']i wish the film would have spent more time on the patriot act. thats a far worse threat than terrorism.[/quote]

I was suprised to hear a member of congress actually say outright "we don't actually read everything that we vote on. Do you know how long that would take?"

Scary.[/quote]

i thought that was good and bad, at least they arnt trying to hide it or anything but its a pretty scary thing to do when making laws that affect 300,000,000 people...

That sounds like some of the scenes in eddie murphy's movie, the Distinguished Gentleman

[quote name='BigNick']Cant wait to download it and share it![/quote]
good i think all the people that can see it should see it ^^

i usually dont see movies, but this one i just had to go see, it was sold out on a 4:10 showing too

[quote name='ZForce915']I was suprised to hear a member of congress actually say outright "we don't actually read everything that we vote on. Do you know how long that would take?"

Scary.[/quote]

Some bills are ridiculously long, they obviously can't take the time to sit around and read legalese all the time. Just because they haven't read the bill doesn't mean they don't know what it's about.

Complete waste of time. I don't buy into the whole liberal bullshit. And no, I haven't seen this waste of time. If I could, I would probaly exercise my 2nd amendment and shoot his fat ass. Shoot him in the god damn head with a 22 and see if he exploded properly. I've never shot something that fat. Documentary MY ASS.

I think this is one of the most important movies ever. Great movie, even though i already knew about %75 of the material shown here.

Since when does the 2nd amendment give anyone the right to murder?

Besides, if you don't like him or what he says, turn on Fox New, Rush Limbaugh, etc. the busy tearing him apart so you'll probably be in heaven.

Why shoot a man over a difference of opinion. Do you hate America and our freedom?

[quote name='peteloaf']Since when does the 2nd amendment give anyone the right to murder?

Besides, if you don't like him or what he says, turn on Fox New, Rush Limbaugh, etc. the busy tearing him apart so you'll probably be in heaven.

Why shoot a man over a difference of opinion. Do you hate America and our freedom?[/quote]

Yeah no shit, sorry because I haven't seen the movie but right now it seems like the 'cool' thing to do is to openly bash Michael Moore and his antics, who gives a shit if you don't agree with him, he is just trying to prove that Bush is wrong and that much I believe, so if you're a strong Bush fan then I guess you can hate him all you want but god damn, it's one man's opinion don't go blowing people's heads off over it.

[quote name='Storamin']Complete waste of time. I don't buy into the whole liberal bullshit. And no, I haven't seen this waste of time. If I could, I would probaly exercise my 2nd amendment and shoot his fat ass. Shoot him in the god damn head with a 22 and see if he exploded properly. I've never shot something that fat. Documentary MY ASS.[/quote]

This is such a perfect representation of every right-wing nutcase's reaction that I've seen so far. "Well, I haven't seen it and I'm not going to see it because it's stupid! I like to make my opinions uninformed! Michael Moore is teh fat and should move to France and be shot because he hates America! Blah blah blah!" Give me a break.

Please, people, he was obviously trolling. No one that dumb could operate a computer.

Incidentally, I've seen the movie and it's fantastic. Is Michael Moore biased? Of course he is. Unlike the Fox News channel, though, he doesn't try to pretend otherwise. The result is that he makes a very compelling argument against Bush. I'll admit that I hated Bush before the movie. Heck, I hated Bush before he even took office (and I do mean "took"). Now I just hate him even more. He is truly an evil person, and the movie really drives home what the results of his evil have been.

The Evolution of Michael Moore
By: Bill O'Reilly for BillOReilly.com
Thursday, Jun 24, 2004

The evolution of Michael Moore's new film is fascinating to watch. After winning an award at the Cannes Film Festival, Mr. Moore returned triumphantly to Hollywood and made this statement to reporters on June 9th:
"We want the word out. Any attempts to libel me will be met by force. The most important thing we have is the truth on our side. If they persist in telling lies, then I'll take them to court."

"Them" were critics who were questioning the accuracy of Moore's charges against the Bush administration. "Truth" is rock solid information which, apparently, Michael Moore was sure he possessed.

But then a funny thing happened on the way to the Metroplex. The Nine Eleven Commission findings clashed with Moore's thesis that the Bushies had done something dastardly immediately after the attack by letting a bunch of Saudis, including members of the Bin Laden family, fly out of the USA while everybody else was grounded. Apparently, that is not true, at least according to the FBI and the Commissioners, none of whom were jurors at the Cannes Film Festival.

So by June 20, Michael Moore had "evolved" a bit as many in Hollywood tend to do. He said this on an ABC News program: "(The movie) is an op-ed piece. It's my opinion about the last four years of the Bush administration. And that's what I call it. I'm not trying to pretend that this is some sort of, you know, fair and balanced work of journalism."

No mention of truth this time but, as responsible columnists know, all op-ed pieces are supposed to be grounded in truth and facts should be cited in backing up one's op-ed opinion.

Uh-oh.

But just when Michael Moore was foundering in a sea of skepticism, New York Times critic A.O. Scott came to the rescue with this assessment Moore's film: "It might more accurately be said to resemble an editorial cartoon ..."

Paging Shrek! In the space of two weeks the Moore movie had gone from truth to opinion to cartoon, albeit an editorial one.

But the hits just keep on coming. Los Angeles Times film critic Kenneth Turan wrote this about Fahrenheit 9/11: "It is propaganda, no doubt about it, but propaganda is most effective when it has elements of truth ... "

So we're back to the truth now garnished with "elements."

I have seen the first half of Michael Moore's movie and here's the deal. It's slick propaganda that indicts President Bush for a variety of things using cut and paste video interspersed with the opinions of far left people like Democratic Congressmen Jim McDermott and John Conyers. For me, the first sixty minutes were tedious but I have to interview guys like that everyday so I'm jaded.

Any skilled filmmaker, and Moore is that, could fashion a movie making any American look like a pinhead. That's easy to do. Just get a bunch of video, some people who hate the guy, some factoids that may or may not be true, heat it up with sardonic rhetoric and serve. Presto, Fahrenheit 9/11.

So let's stop with the nonsense. If you want to pay 9 bucks to see Moore carve up the President, knock yourself out. But don't be calling me up telling me about truth, or elements thereof. This is rank propaganda and the American public is welcome to it. It will not evolve any further.

[quote name='fwacce']The Evolution of Michael Moore
Thursday, Jun 24, 2004

The evolution of Michael Moore's new film is fascinating to watch. After winning an award at the Cannes Film Festival, Mr. Moore returned triumphantly to Hollywood and made this statement to reporters on June 9th:
"We want the word out. Any attempts to libel me will be met by force. The most important thing we have is the truth on our side. If they persist in telling lies, then I'll take them to court."

"Them" were critics who were questioning the accuracy of Moore's charges against the Bush administration. "Truth" is rock solid information which, apparently, Michael Moore was sure he possessed.

But then a funny thing happened on the way to the Metroplex. The Nine Eleven Commission findings clashed with Moore's thesis that the Bushies had done something dastardly immediately after the attack by letting a bunch of Saudis, including members of the Bin Laden family, fly out of the USA while everybody else was grounded. Apparently, that is not true, at least according to the FBI and the Commissioners, none of whom were jurors at the Cannes Film Festival.

So by June 20, Michael Moore had "evolved" a bit as many in Hollywood tend to do. He said this on an ABC News program: "(The movie) is an op-ed piece. It's my opinion about the last four years of the Bush administration. And that's what I call it. I'm not trying to pretend that this is some sort of, you know, fair and balanced work of journalism."

No mention of truth this time but, as responsible columnists know, all op-ed pieces are supposed to be grounded in truth and facts should be cited in backing up one's op-ed opinion.

Uh-oh.

But just when Michael Moore was foundering in a sea of skepticism, New York Times critic A.O. Scott came to the rescue with this assessment Moore's film: "It might more accurately be said to resemble an editorial cartoon ..."

Paging Shrek! In the space of two weeks the Moore movie had gone from truth to opinion to cartoon, albeit an editorial one.

But the hits just keep on coming. Los Angeles Times film critic Kenneth Turan wrote this about Fahrenheit 9/11: "It is propaganda, no doubt about it, but propaganda is most effective when it has elements of truth ... "

I have seen the first half of Michael Moore's movie and here's the deal. It's slick propaganda that indicts President Bush for a variety of things using cut and paste video interspersed with the opinions of far left people like Democratic Congressmen Jim McDermott and John Conyers. For me, the first sixty minutes were tedious but I have to interview guys like that everyday so I'm jaded.

Any skilled filmmaker, and Moore is that, could fashion a movie making any American look like a pinhead. That's easy to do. Just get a bunch of video, some people who hate the guy, some factoids that may or may not be true, heat it up with sardonic rhetoric and serve. Presto, Fahrenheit 9/11.

So let's stop with the nonsense. If you want to pay 9 bucks to see Moore carve up the President, knock yourself out. But don't be calling me up telling me about truth, or elements thereof. This is rank propaganda and the American public is welcome to it. It will not evolve any further.[/quote]

Right on!

I can almost respect fwacce now.

Since Michael Moore is a such a propaganda tool...how about we compare his fat ass to Hitler?

riiiight, because Bill O'Reily is the end all of truth telling. This is one of the biggest cases of calling the kettle black that I have seen in a while.

[quote name='spoo']Kerry voted YES on the patriot act.[/quote]

What was his excuse, for that. I cant remember. I know it was something stupid.

i dont think its propoghanda because of the simple fact people are paying their own money to hear the information in this. propaghanda is spon fed and forced down peoples throats. this is information presented in an entertaining fashion that ALOT of people pay to see and hear...

micheal moore has done something amazing, he actully figured out how to get people to pay attention to something long enough to learn something. i dont care if u like him or not, but hes getting people to pay 10 bucks a pop to hear y the president sucks, and thats impressive

I'd pay 10 bucks to see some guy fart on a snare drum, doesn't mean there's a point to it. Personally, Michael Moore is the Leftist Rush Limbaugh, so people who throw out that "Yeah, why don't you just go listen to Rush" don't really have much ground. I'm going to go see the movie, not because I agree or hate Bush or anything like that. It just seems interesting to me, and will help to formulate an opinion.
"Who's right, when everybody's wrong?"

[quote name='punqsux']i dont think its propoghanda because of the simple fact people are paying their own money to hear the information in this. propaghanda is spon fed and forced down peoples throats. this is information presented in an entertaining fashion that ALOT of people pay to see and hear...

micheal moore has done something amazing, he actully figured out how to get people to pay attention to something long enough to learn something. i dont care if u like him or not, but hes getting people to pay 10 bucks a pop to hear y the president sucks, and thats impressive[/quote]

I agree, this isn't propaganda. But it isn't exactly presenting whole truths to the audience. I happen to like Michael Moore's films because they are entertaining, not because they're accurate. I also really don't like Bush and plan on voting for Kerry in the Fall. That said, Moore has a quirky little habit of twisting the truth - as many have seen in Bowling for Columbine. Although he uses truths and actual stock footage for his movies, I think it's hard to call it a documentary when it's as intentionally misleading as Moore's works tend to be.

[quote name='fwacce']The Evolution of Michael Moore
Thursday, Jun 24, 2004

In the film, Moore shows us the proof that several Saudis did indeed fly out of the US on Sep 13th.

Uh-oh.

This is what Kenneth Turan wrote...IN CONTEXT..

It is propaganda, no doubt about it, but propaganda is most effective when it has elements of truth, and too much here is taken from the record not to have a devastating effect on viewers,” Turan added. “Anyone who is the least bit open to Moore’s theses will come away impressed.”

Would this be the very same cut and paste editorializing you use everyday?

May or may not be true? I noticed you didn't bother to point out what is not true in this film...[/color]

So let's stop with the nonsense. If you want to pay 9 bucks to see Moore carve up the President, knock yourself out. But don't be calling me up telling me about truth, or elements thereof. This is rank propaganda and the American public is welcome to it. It will not evolve any further.[/quote]

You'll notice that Mr. O'Reilly doesn't really offer you anything in this article. It's an opinion, and that's just fine. But he does a poor job of making his point. He doesn't disprove any of Moore's many facts against Bush...maybe because he can't?

If you don't like the movie or disagree with Moore, first watch the movie, and second, take a specific argument that he makes and make an argument against it, or if he's lying, give specific examples of what he lied about. Don't just say that its trash. Tell me specificly why.

[quote name='dafoomie']If you don't like the movie or disagree with Moore, first watch the movie, and second, take a specific argument that he makes and make an argument against it, or if he's lying, give specific examples of what he lied about. Don't just say that its trash. Tell me specificly why.[/quote]

This is true, you can't bash it if you haven't seen it. And if you don't want to see it, fine. But don't pretend to know what it is about. And if you'll recall this topic is for people who have seen the film.

But don't pretend to know what it is about. And if you'll recall this topic is for people who have seen the film.

I don't know if thats directed at me or the people I'm addressing, but I've seen it..

Here is the dictionary definition of propaganda.
The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.
This movie, therefore is propaganda, regardless of if you paid for it or not. If you think about it, everything in this country is propaganda, in some form or another.

[quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='fwacce']The Evolution of Michael Moore
Thursday, Jun 24, 2004

In the film, Moore shows us the proof that several Saudis did indeed fly out of the US on Sep 13th.

Uh-oh.

This is what Kenneth Turan wrote...IN CONTEXT..

It is propaganda, no doubt about it, but propaganda is most effective when it has elements of truth, and too much here is taken from the record not to have a devastating effect on viewers,” Turan added. “Anyone who is the least bit open to Moore’s theses will come away impressed.”

Would this be the very same cut and paste editorializing you use everyday?

May or may not be true? I noticed you didn't bother to point out what is not true in this film...[/color]

You'll notice that Mr. O'Reilly doesn't really offer you anything in this article. It's an opinion, and that's just fine. But he does a poor job of making his point. He doesn't disprove any of Moore's many facts against Bush...maybe because he can't?[/quote]

I believe that the force is with Zforce!

[quote name='dafoomie']
But don't pretend to know what it is about. And if you'll recall this topic is for people who have seen the film.

I don't know if thats directed at me or the people I'm addressing, but I've seen it..[/quote]

Sorry if I worded it wrong, but I'm on your side of this agruement.

Here is the dictionary definition of propaganda.
The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

So when the Bush administration systematicly propagated the myth that Iraq was involved with the 9/11 attacks, that Iraq had ties to Al Qaeda, that Iraq had WMD's, and that Iraq was a clear and present danger to the United States, that was also propaganda?

[quote name='Squirms']Here is the dictionary definition of propaganda.
This movie, therefore is propaganda, regardless of if you paid for it or not. If you think about it, everything in this country is propaganda, in some form or another.[/quote]

I haven't seen the film yet . . . I'm not a big Moore fan or a critic.

But this is well said . . . all media expressions are propaganda . . . even videogames.

There are much better criticisms of the industrial-military-Haliburton-Bush complex. Watch Frontline or read pieces at www.truthout.org.

Clearly, the Iraq invasion was done for reasons other than those stated and the plan was in place before 9/11 . . . is my statement propaganda?

The Bush doctrine of preemptive strikes is wrong (unAmerican in my book) but Bushites will continue their support nonetheless . . .

I TRIED to go see it Saturday. I had to drive an hour to the closest theater showing it and they had already sold out every show for Saturday and Sunday. I'll probably go back one night this week and catch it.

[quote name='MrBadExample']I TRIED to go see it Saturday. I had to drive an hour to the closest theater showing it and they had already sold out every show for Saturday and Sunday. I'll probably go back one night this week and catch it.[/quote]

It was number one at the box office over the weekend. Not bad for a documentary, eh? Go you little Moore!

Now I'm not a fan of Bill O'Reilly or his show, but the constant labeling of Fox News as right-wing is really tiresome. I don't understand why Democrats can't tolerate a channel that employs more than one token conservative.

CNN's idea of balance is having Sens. Hagel, McCain or Collins on to represent Republicans when they all differ with Bush and the RNC on major issues involving war, tax policy and the environment. CBS's and NBC's main news personalities were all former chiefs of staff for Democratic congressmen and ABC's Sunday anchor was part of Clinton's famous 1992 'war room.'

As to Michael Moore's movie, I think it touches on some very important subjects, particularly U.S./Saudi Arabia relations. I think all citizens, Republican or Democrat, should educate themselves about the 'royal' family that has the audacity to name an entire country after themselves. I do think Bush's tactics have been mistaken, but I think the ultimate project, transforming the middle east into functioning democracies, is a worthy goal. I only hope there is some way to make a smoother transition to that goal. Maybe John Kerry has a plan to do that, but I sure haven't read it or heard about it yet.

I found it interesting that a Fox News correspondent or reviewer gave it quite the positive review. I was just about dragged to see it this weekend, but apparently there was a situation similar to that of MrBadExample's. Oh well, I'll more than likely see it sometime this week, but I'm not paying that's for sure.

As for it being number one I don't hold as too great an accomplishment given the competion of The Notebook and White Chicks. In fact, White Chicks actually griossed the most for the week by like 6 million, that doesn't count because of the 2 day jump it had.

[quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']I found it interesting that a Fox News correspondent or reviewer gave it quite the positive review. I was just about dragged to see it this weekend, but apparently there was a situation similar to that of MrBadExample's. Oh well, I'll more than likely see it sometime this week, but I'm not paying that's for sure.

As for it being number one I don't hold as too great an accomplishment given the competion of The Notebook and White Chicks. In fact, White Chicks actually griossed the most for the week by like 6 million, that doesn't count because of the 2 day jump it had.[/quote]

Actually it is quite an accomplishement, given that F9/11 was shown on 868 screens nationwide, while the other 2 top grossing movies were shown on over 2500.

This is from Entertainment Weekly online:

In just three days, ''Fahrenheit'' beat Moore's ''Bowling for Columbine'' to become the highest-grossing documentary ever. (''Columbine'''s total take was $21.6 million.) It's also the biggest opening for a film playing in fewer than 1,000 theaters. And ''Fahrenheit'''s $25,000-plus per-theater average is the seventh-highest in history.

The fact that Michael Moore, armed with lies and half-truths, can cause this kind of discussion makes me doubt in Americas future. Can you guys even reproduce, I thought there was a certain IQ level you had to have to function, maybe 5? The fact that you even listen to his opinions disgusts me. If I want the facts I'll listen to various news sources. Not some asshole celebrity.

You already did that one, Storamin. If you want to troll effectively you need to have clearly defined course you want the conversation to go in. You can't just tread water in that same spot.

[quote name='MrBadExample']I TRIED to go see it Saturday. I had to drive an hour to the closest theater showing it and they had already sold out every show for Saturday and Sunday. I'll probably go back one night this week and catch it.[/quote]

my friend works at an indie movie theatre and she said it was sold out, every show, friday, saturday, and sunday

bread's done
Back