Don't like FPS's? Too bad.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://igo.ampednews.com/news/3650/

According to Video Game Journal, by Jason Kraft and Chris Kwak, the first-person shooter genre is “a growing and highly attractive genre” for prospective developers and publishers.

The two analysts measured the sports, racing, “crime-based action” (once occupied solely by Grand Theft Auto), and first-person shooter genres’ potential for growth, current size, and market share.

The report inquired, “How does a publisher decide to develop a title for one genre and not another, between equally large genres?”

Kraft and Kwak concluded that sports games, out of the four, are the least attractive genre for the typical publisher, since Electronic Arts and Take-Two Interactive hold exclusivity agreements for the National Football League and Major League Baseball, respectively, and licensing costs can total millions of dollars. The racing genre, meanwhile, ranks as a favorable genre, though not eclipsing the attractiveness and growth of the first-person shooter market. Lastly, Kraft and Kwak classified the crime-based action genre as “unattractive” for any game not carrying the Grand Theft Auto label.

The duo compiled data pertaining to cumulative genre revenue per console, covering the PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox, and the Dreamcast. The four prior mentioned genres accounted for over 73 percent of revenue for the 2005 fiscal year.

Cumulative genre revenue per console has expanded quickly for first-person shooters, cited the report, though the racing genre shows attractive long-term growth. “We regard racing as a large and stable, yet still attractive, genre," the report said.

Crime-based action, however, is a different story altogether. Even though several titles hit retail in 2005, such as 50 Cent: Bulletproof, True Crime: New York City, The Punisher, NARC, and 187: Ride or Die, the Grand Theft Auto series still accounted for nearly 37 percent of all crime-based action games sold.

"These comparable declines occurred even though the console installed base grew and the number of competitive titles grew,” the report said, predicting that the upcoming Godfather game and Saint’s Row face intense pressure from the crime-based action genre.

Seems like if you're not a fan of these genres, you're not going to see them go to the wayside anytime soon.

Why would someone want a genre to go away? I can't get into racers to save my life, nor MMORPGs, but let the mongoloids play what they want.

I'd only be bothered if the study suggested that poorly programmed licensed pieces of shit are a growing market.

The only people that would want those two genres to go aways are those that are against videogame violence.

I don't like GTA or its clones, I hated Halo (though I love some PC FPS games like FEAR), and I will never buy a sports game... and hell, I don't like the vast majority of racing games either. Thankfully, we have Japan for good games.

Companies like EA and Activision will continue to pump out garbage regardless of what anyone says... fuck them, I have no interest in their games.

[quote name='mykevermin']Why would someone want a genre to go away? I can't get into racers to save my life, nor MMORPGs, but let the mongoloids play what they want.

I'd only be bothered if the study suggested that poorly programmed licensed pieces of shit are a growing market.[/QUOTE]
I didn't mean go away as in disappear, but more that it would go to the wayside. I don't necessarily see why anyone would want a genre to disappear, as they all have their bright spots.

Interesting study.

The same thing will happen to FPS-- the market will get flooded with a bunch of imitators (er wait...already has been) and it won't be as attractive of a genre to develop for next year. surprised this hasn't happened already.

I wish this report was about fighting games ;) Maybe if it was done 15 years ago!

[quote name='frisky tanuki']I didn't mean go away as in disappear, but more that it would go to the wayside. I don't necessarily see why anyone would want a genre to disappear, as they all have their bright spots. [/quote]

Are you some kinda FPS hater or sumthin'? Hey boys, let's kick his ass!!!
j.k. ;)

I just need to see something new done with FPSs. I played Half-Life 2 and I was done. As far as I'm concerened, that's about as good as it's going to get. That, and after being really stoked about Halo 2 (single player) and being totally let down by that, I've pretty much cooled off on the FPS genre as a whole. But, to each his own. I'm discovering new genres that I enjoy that I hadn't touched before :)

I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I hate FPS. I can't play them for more than 5 minutes before I start getting effected by motionsickness (Hideo Kojima also sufferes from this and claims to hate the genre so I'd say not to ever expect a fully FP Metal Gear game, ever).

While this proliferation of a game genre that not only alienates a portion of the market but also offers little room for innovation and repetative action that can be found in any of the same games of their type should be enough of a reason to hate them I also have a second reason. Before the FPS the phrase "shooter" refered to the more respectable games featuring space ships that fly through stages of gradually increasing difficulty and gameplay environments shooting and blowing things up, now people are forced to specify with "horizontal", "vertical" or "Space" shooter before people realize what genre they're refering to.

I woud very much like to see them go away, not all of them of course I'm sure it wouldnt do to out right destroy the genre entirely but I'l love to see their ridiculous numbers (which are matched only by EA's sports franchaises) cut in half. Strangly regardless of this supposed Poll I think the reason FPSs are becomeing such a large genre is because companies just keep making them without really wondering if people care they exist! This leads me to believe that eventually it WILL die out as publishers realized half the games arnt even being played for any other reason than for online death matches and dipping your virtual balls in someone elses face.

According to Video Game Journal, by Jason Kraft and Chris Kwak, the first-person shooter genre is “a growing and highly attractive genre” for prospective developers and publishers.

Was this written in 1999?

Well if you don't like FPSs, this is bad news. Companies who might otherwise make other genres of games will be making more FPSs. So I would understand why someone would want a genre to disappear, although that is a bit drastic. Just like the new PS3 game called I-8. It is being developed by Insonmiac games (i think).

There this nothing wrong with the FPS genre. If something is popular people are bound to copy it. Unfortunately, this means that gamers have to sort through the crap in order to find the true gems. I mean if RPG's were the hot thing again you would have 100's of them and most of the games would be total crap.

This is too bad, as FPSs (generally) signify all that's wrong with Western gaming. Look at what Monolith has been doing (F.E.A.R., Condemed) to see one of the few examples of the right direction they should be going in (i.e. "new directions").

[quote name='Blind the Thief']This is too bad, as FPSs (generally) signify all that's wrong with Western gaming. Look at what Monolith has been doing (F.E.A.R., Condemed) to see one of the few examples of the right direction they should be going in (i.e. "new directions").[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The article is essentially saying that Western games will, in all their half-assed glory, continue to suck... but even worse and a greater quantity than before. Monolith's FEAR was fantastic and I really liked Far Cry, but the vast majority of games that the US is producing in that genre are complete garbage.

I think ever since Riddick was released on Xbox, melee combat has started to become alot cooler and implimented more in FPSs... I just want a FPS that thinks fo something new and not just Weapon or Envornment based (yes, i'm looking at you BLACK!). Quite frankly, the Revolution might fix alot of these gripes plainly due to the control.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I didn't mean go away as in disappear, but more that it would go to the wayside. I don't necessarily see why anyone would want a genre to disappear, as they all have their bright spots.[/QUOTE]

I'm not holding you to the study, you're merely the messenger.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']This is too bad, as FPSs (generally) signify all that's wrong with Western gaming. Look at what Monolith has been doing (F.E.A.R., Condemed) to see one of the few examples of the right direction they should be going in (i.e. "new directions").[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't necessarily hate FPS', I would just like companies to try new things with it. I feel that Monolith out of a lot of companies, might be the one to make FPS' more interesting to those who are getting tired with the genre.

Even if FPS' end up not pushing new ideas in the future, I'd also like them to be done well. Call of Duty 2 doesn't bring anything new to the FPS' genre, but the presentation is fantastic, making the game a whole lot of fun.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm not holding you to the study, you're merely the messenger.[/QUOTE]
I know that, as I wasn't really specifically quoting you as a response, as I noticed that the first few posts seemed to focus on the same thing. If it was my little quip that influenced that, I just wanted to clear it up, but if not, then it was more my additional opinion on the article. Quoting your post wasn't necessarily a response to your post, but more of a general response. I think that clears it up.

[quote name='asianxcore']I agree. I don't necessarily hate FPS', I would just like companies to try new things with it. I feel that Monolith out of a lot of companies, might be the one to make FPS' more interesting to those who are getting tired with the genre.

Even if FPS' end up not pushing new ideas in the future, I'd also like them to be done well. Call of Duty 2 doesn't bring anything new to the FPS' genre, but the presentation is fantastic, making the game a whole lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

the problem is that alot of console FPS actually DO usually have an very good presentation, but the game play is pretty much the same package. I would rather have a with a horrible presentation with fantastic new gameplay than a game with decent or good gameplay with a superb presentation (and I'm not talking graphics).

[quote name='Skelah']it wont go away its even used in training police officers and the army its useful among being entertaining.[/QUOTE]

OMG MURDER SIMULATOR!

FPS games got old for me when Quake II was done and Quake III came out. I have played a few here and there, but not to the extend I did when I played DOOM and all those old ass FPS games. They are just too bland. I did buy and enjoy Call of Duty 2, but that probably has to do with the fact that I hadn't played a FPS since Star Wars Battlefront and before that was like Quake II. Well not counting console FPS games. Even then limited to Time SPlitters 2 and Bond and Perfect Dark. So yeah, I am not a big fan, but I can enjoy a good FPS game. Also I want to buy Black and FEAR, more FEAR than Black. Also I will always like FPS games on a PC than a console...until I play one on the Revolution.

My beefs with FPS's have pretty much been covered except that because of you PC FPS jagoff's and your almost complete obssession with them, the MMORPG and the occasional maybe good Adventure game I get fucked out of the Y's remake and other Japanese as well as Korean PC RPG's over here. So thanks a lot for getting the almost 2 Genre block on American PC games.

bread's done
Back