Students asked to teach the teachers...

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
This is more education than game related so I guess it is alright to post here. I searched and didn't see this posted.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/16/playstation.lessons.ap/index.html

WILMINGTON, North Carolina (AP) -- When the principal of Blair Elementary School needed someone to instruct teachers in the use of PlayStations, she turned to the experts -- the students.

The school purchased 23 PlayStations last month to use with educational games for third- through fifth-graders.

But not all the teachers took to the video games -- one became so flustered that she didn't want use them in class, principal Sharon Sand said.
So on Wednesday, students gave advice on plugging in the machines, using the software and navigating the buttons.

Not all the teachers needed the help, but many did.

"They're illiterate when it comes to this," Sand said.

The school has spent about $20,000 in federal money on the machines and games that reinforce the state's standard course of study, she said.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']u can also teach in NC with a college degree in anything[/quote]

That is probably why I'll check out job opportunities in Rockingham County (just over the VA border) in the next few weeks. Henry County seems to move really slow.

I wonder what kind of educational games there are. I know PS1 had a bunch of educational games like Sesame Street and Disney but those were for little kids (preschool). Kind of cool though. Sounds better than the Apple IIGS computers with games like Number Munchers and The Oregon Trail that they had in my elementary school (those games were fun but I would have rather had SNES and Genesis in the classroom)

Again, the math does not add up. Though it doesn't say how many games there are, 20,000 for only 23 playstations? Even if they mean ps2, thats only 3,500 for the systems, maybe 500 for extra controllers.
I dunno, maybe they all bought hidef tvs along with them ;p

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I wonder what kind of educational games there are. I know PS1 had a bunch of educational games like Sesame Street and Disney but those were for little kids (preschool). Kind of cool though. Sounds better than the Apple IIGS computers with games like Number Munchers and The Oregon Trail that they had in my elementary school (those games were fun but I would have rather had SNES and Genesis in the classroom)[/quote]

God, I LOVED Oregon Trail when I was in grade school. We had some other really cool games too. Carmen Sandiego was the only thing I liked as much as Oregon Trail.

The thoughts of old green monochrome screens bring back some fond memories.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']God, I LOVED Oregon Trail when I was in grade school. We had some other really cool games too. Carmen Sandiego was the only thing I liked as much as Oregon Trail.

The thoughts of old green monochrome screens bring back some fond memories.[/QUOTE]
Oregon trail rocked, someone always died of dysentary. Hunting was fun as hell though, no matter how many animals you killed, you could only carry 100 pounds back. Good times.

[quote name='docvinh']Oregon trail rocked, someone always died of dysentary. Hunting was fun as hell though, no matter how many animals you killed, you could only carry 100 pounds back. Good times.[/quote]

:lol:

What is so hard about plugging in and turning on a Playstation?

I love the fact one lady got so frustrated she just gave up.

[quote name='Xevious']What ever happened to good old fashioned books? And they wonder why education standards in the U.S. have being in a decline........[/quote]

Someone's gotta think of the trees man. :lol:

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']Again, the math does not add up. Though it doesn't say how many games there are, 20,000 for only 23 playstations? Even if they mean ps2, thats only 3,500 for the systems, maybe 500 for extra controllers.
I dunno, maybe they all bought hidef tvs along with them ;p[/quote]

Assuming there's one for each classroom using ps2's:

23 ps2s ($150 per system) = 3450

Assuming they're buying 2 multitaps per system for 8 total players at $45 each:

46 multitaps ($45 per unit) = 2070

extra controllers (7 per system) at $22 (for dual shocks):

7 controllers x 23 consoles x $22 each = $3542

You have $9062 used and have $10938 left. Assuming there's 23 classrooms, you can spend about $475 per room. That's enough for a decent sized classroom tv. Of course they'll probably be able to spend less than the $475 since games weren't factored in.

[quote name='Roufuss']I love the fact one lady got so frustrated she just gave up.[/QUOTE]You have to wonder how she manages to be a teacher without having a nervous breakdown the 3rd Wednesday of every month. :lol:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Someone's gotta think of the trees man. :lol:[/quote]

Making those playstations are not good for the environment either..

[quote name='jaykrue']Assuming there's one for each classroom using ps2's:

You have $9062 used and have $10938 left. Assuming there's 23 classrooms, you can spend about $475 per room. That's enough for a decent sized classroom tv. Of course they'll probably be able to spend less than the $475 since games weren't factored in.[/quote]

What about memory cards? The children need to save their progress.

[quote name='Maklershed']Anyone from the Number Munchers / Oregon Trail era remember Odell Lake?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I also remember Lights Out, a bunch of Muppet-themed programs, that colored tile program, and a really primitive LAN chatroom where words like "ass" and "fart" made their way into every message.

[quote name='doomlv20']What about memory cards? The children need to save their progress.[/quote]

Well, if you wanna factor those in:

Assuming there's one for each classroom using ps2's:

2 memory cards per system ($18 per unit x 2):

2 cards x 23 consoles x $18 each = $828

You have $9890 used and have $10110 left. Assuming there's 23 classrooms, you can spend about $439 per room. That's still enough for a decent sized classroom tv. Of course they'll probably be able to spend less than the $439 since games weren't factored in.

Thats funny. A friend of the family has a daughter who is not yet 4 years old. She was using the family computer and typing small papers, surfing the internet, playing games, i.e. the whole nine yards and when I questioned here she told me that the stuff was easy and intuitive. And this is not the first time i've seen this. In fact I was the same way. Of course I was a military brat overseas and with few other kids and one channel in english where I was I had little choice but still.

In the end I think adults by and large are closed minded and stupid.

bread's done
Back