King of Fighters: Neowave (Xbox) - $19.99 EBGames.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacrana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Given that Gamestop has this listed for $30, I do think this is a deal because I can hardly see SNK bringing out a new game at $19.99... but even if this is a false alarm, it's still a steal. The game's shipping 3/28/06 as of right now.

257377.jpg

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/257377.asp

Prolly won't work, but at least you'd have it for when it is playable... makes me glad I still have my original Xbox.

[quote name='nikkai']Freakin....
Any word if this thing is comin' out for PS2?[/QUOTE]
in japan, yes, but it has no chance of getting a US release.

[quote name='62t']in japan, yes, but it has no chance of getting a US release.[/QUOTE]

President of SNK USA has said that when the PS2 is viable for budget merchandise at the end of its lifespan (like ps one), they will then bring out SNK's games for budget prices since Sony won't care anymore.

Not sure if they will stick by it or not.

I doubt they'll actually do that though given that all these games are already coming out on the Xbox... there's not much reason for them to all of a sudden bring the games out on the PS2... Sony's such a little bitch about SNK's games in the US... at least in Japan, the PS2 gets all the good SNK games.

now that i think about it they did say something about bring samuri showdown V in the future, so there is a slim chance i guess

Yes rebout did get cancelled, its a shame too.I hope it makes it to XBL Arcade

Neowave coming out at the end of the month is pretty set in stone right now. This new price point is a good sign

[quote name='Kuma']Yes rebout did get cancelled, its a shame too.I hope it makes it to XBL Arcade

Neowave coming out at the end of the month is pretty set in stone right now. This new price point is a good sign[/QUOTE]

Heh, eb says 4/11 now.

And Rebout is just KoF94 with a new coat of paint. Nothing special really.

[quote name='buttasuperb']Heh, eb says 4/11 now.

And Rebout is just KoF94 with a new coat of paint. Nothing special really.[/QUOTE]

From what I'm hearing Neowave isn't much more than a remake of Kof2002.

94 Re-Bout has a plyable Rugal and includes 95's Saisyu. The original game is in there too of course.

Neowave is pretty similar to 2002, with a roster difference that can be counted on 1 hand. The filter is better, the new music is superior, the new backgrounds look very nice, and the 3 "grooves" are a nice touch but otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it to non-KOF fans who already have 2002 or the 02/03 pack. There's no story at all so it's not a single-player experience.

People who have a PS2 shouldn't feel bad; if you weren't interested enough to import the game, then you likely wouldn't miss the game.

[quote name='Chacrana']Was rebout even any good? I could just import it, but I dunno if it's really even worth it.[/QUOTE]

depends on how much its gonna cost you. If you like Saisyu, Rugal, and the ability to team edit all with a new coat of paint then id say yes

Wow, I'm surprised Re-bout lasted so long before getting canned. It's not like most of the US ever cared about KOF '94 back in 1994, much less a shinier version that feels like a mid-90s fighter twelve years later. I pretty much agree with the comment that those who would enjoy it are probably people who have already imported it anyway. I've had it since the December 2004 Japanese PS2 release. I like it a lot, but then again I paid over $100 for a used Neo Geo cart of the game back in '95 or so. I'm not exactly most US gamers. The prettied up levels are done well, I guess. Lots of cameos and detailed 3D backgrounds. The thrill soon fades from that though, and I tend to play it in "original" mode (which allows you to play in the original stages with updated smoother graphics and retouched 2D backgrounds). It also does contain a perfect version of the arcade/Neo original. If you don't like the gameplay of the original though, you won't find it terribly enhanced here. It's rather stiff, the AI is mid-90s SNK through and through, and it does feel less polished than more modern 2D fighters.

Neowave? It's a good deal for $20. If there are enough people online it could be a satisfying online game. I personally care a little less now, since I've been playing Neowave on PS2 since last summer and I've moved on to NGBC and SS Tenkaichi. Still, a good game. I think it plays great - feels a lot smoother than 2002, has a great soundtrack, and looks nice. I never was that into 2002, but I like Neowave. If you haven't played it, it's certainly worth $20 (or $30 for that matter).

Quite fun with spirits/grooves from all 5 previous SS games and an original spirit but it uses a gimmicky, unintuitive 5th button for defensive techniques (similar to SS0's 4th button set to evasion but it affects ALL games now). Every previous 2D SS arcade character is in the game and more but again, you need friends to make the game entertaining.

As a side note, they cancelled 94 Re-Bout... sucks.. I was really looking forward to that one myself.

Note that preorders for KOF at Gamestop include a real-life version of Terry Bogard's Fatal Fury hat... I might buy the game just for that. At EB, there is no preorder deal. :(

[quote name='Chacrana']How's Tenka? I'm planning to import it, but that's too high of a price if the game's not amazing.[/QUOTE]

I personally think it's the best 2D fighter in years, probably since CVS2. All of the SS characters ever made, great control, several -ism like mode selections, and it's technically quite sound (good load times, unlike NGBC). It's truly a game made for the long time fans of SS, and it should bring a great big smile to your face if you consider yourself a fan of the series.

The only things that people might reasonably think are negatives are the festive, colorful atmosphere (it's not the usual subdued and ultra-serious SS mood) and the fact that the last boss is hard as hell - think mid-90s SNK boss syndrome.

Certainly worth a buy in my book, one of my most satisfying import purchases this generation.

[quote name='eastx']Note that preorders for KOF at Gamestop include a real-life version of Terry Bogard's Fatal Fury hat... I might buy the game just for that. At EB, there is no preorder deal. :([/QUOTE]
Since King of Fighters: Maximum Impact for PS2 this hat has been offered as a preorder incentive. I think every game KOF game from now on that ever comes out in the US EB/Gamestop will offer this.

[quote name='firenze']I personally think it's the best 2D fighter in years, probably since CVS2. All of the SS characters ever made, great control, several -ism like mode selections, and it's technically quite sound (good load times, unlike NGBC). It's truly a game made for the long time fans of SS, and it should bring a great big smile to your face if you consider yourself a fan of the series.

The only things that people might reasonably think are negatives are the festive, colorful atmosphere (it's not the usual subdued and ultra-serious SS mood) and the fact that the last boss is hard as hell - think mid-90s SNK boss syndrome.

Certainly worth a buy in my book, one of my most satisfying import purchases this generation.[/QUOTE]

I don't really think it's that great. I played the arcade version at University Pinball a few times and I think that the new characters are pretty lame and it's slow as a snail. Think regular SF2 slow. Maybe even slower. I stopped playing after about Stage 5 because I couldn't stand the pace. Dunno if that's changable on the console version or not.

On a side note, I really hope Neowave is BC. I'd love to play it on 360.

Freaking thing is canceled, according to my local EB and GS B&Ms. Either that, or it's an online order only, which is retarded. Ah well, back to playing 2003 for me then, maybe on XBL if I can find people to play against. ^_^

Why the hell would they cancel it? The thing with SNK games is that you can always expect problems with actually getting it... so I'm praying that I actually do end up with this game sometime soon. Apparently it actually is out since some people on Gamefaqs said they have it (even though most people on there are full of shit.)

By me none of the GS/EB's got Neowave in today. Hopefully tomorrow. This always happens with KOF games. They get them in a couple days after the release date. Maybe you guys will have better luck.

A lot EB and GS stores won't get it on release because it's only a $20 game, and they don't often rush those to stores. The same thing happened with River King for PS2, which I actually pre-ordered. It came in a week after release.

Some may get it today, but the ones I checked confirmed that it shipped via ground and will still not arrive for a few days yet.

I hate this merger.

Eh, for $20 plus you get the cap, I say only get if you really want it, cause to be honest, NeoWave isn't that good and you're better off getting the KoF02/03 game which both games are alot better.

And most importantly, save up to import XI!

=D

If I remember correctly, my local EB didn't get 2002/2003 until like 2 months or more after release. just wish they would have let me preorder the damn thing.

Gaming-age says it shipped yesterday. I'm all over this one as I'm not going to let a good KOF game pass me by!

The good news: IGN reviewed the game which means it must actually be out and SNK can't delay it further.

The bad news: IGN reviewed the game and gave it a 6.8. Understandable though given that it's aimed at hardcore fighting fans rather than the clueless masses that IGN typically tries to appease.

Did anyone have any luck getting it yet? Still no luck at my local GS/EB's. AS for IGN's review...I knew they wouldnt give it the greatest score. Like the last post said the game is more for the hardcore fighting fan.

i went to EB today and they said it wasnt even in the computer, i know that i could go up there tommorow and theyll have it

I called Gamecrazy and they said that they didn't have Neowave in the computer... they only got 2006 to show up. Might as well try another one just in case.

Just checked EBGames.com and it says the game's coming out the 18th now... But some people supposedly have it already... I hate finding SNK's games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back