You have been challenged, solve these word problems if you can!

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Was reading a magazine the other day and they had these 3 questions, test your brain. They arent really difficult just dont go with your first answer.

1. You go to buy a bat and a ball for baseball practice. The cost of the bat and ball together is $1.10. If the bat cost a dollar more than the ball, what is the price of each individually?

2. A new lilypad in a pond doubles its size everyday. If it takes the lilypad 42 days to cover the whole pond, how many days does it take to to cover half the pond?

3. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgetts, how long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgetts.

answers

1. $1.05 for the bat and .05 for the ball
2. 41 days for half the pond since every day it doubles its size.
3. 5 minutes

If the bat cost a dollar more than the ball, the price of the bat and the ball is still $1.10. :lol:

[quote name='JSweeney']If the bat cost a dollar more than the ball, the price of the bat and the ball is still $1.10. :lol:[/QUOTE]

smart ass :)

[quote name='JSweeney']If the bat cost a dollar more than the ball, the price of the bat and the ball is still $1.10. :lol:[/quote]

that's what i said haha

i missed the second one b/c i didnt think of that :whistle2:#

got the third though...

If anyone misses these questions, they should go back to elementary school, lol.

Here's a better version of the first problem:
You go to buy a bat and a ball for baseball practice. The cost of the bat and ball together is $1.10. If the bat cost a dollar more than the ball, what is the price of the steroids necessary to use the bat to hit the ball?

[quote name='Squee']
You go to buy a bat and a ball for baseball practice. The cost of the bat and ball together is $1.10. If the bat cost a dollar more than the ball, what is the price of the steroids necessary to use the bat to hit the ball?[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

Here is a easy one....

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Why are manholes and their covers circular?

This one is a LITTLE harder...

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]There are 4 men who want to cross a bridge. They all begin on the same side. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
You have 17 minutes to get all of them across to the other side. It is nigthtime. There is only one flashlight. A maximum of two people can cross at any one time. Any party who crosses, either 1 or 2 people, must have the flashlight with them. The flashlight must be walked back and forth; it cannot be thrown, etc.
[/FONT]
Each man walks at a different speed. A pair must walk together at the rate of the slower man's pace.
[/FONT]
Man1: 1 minute to cross
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Man 2: 2 minutes to cross[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Man 3: 5 minutes to cross[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Man 4: 10 minutes to cross[/FONT]
For example, if Man 1 and Man 4 walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed when they get to the other side of the bridge. If Man 4 returns with the flashligth, a total of 20 minutes have passed, and you have failed the mission.
[/FONT]
P.S. The flashligth cannot shine a long distance. No one can be carried, etc. (This is a straighforward problem. There are no tricks.)
[/FONT]
P.P.S. This question is asked at job interviews at Microsoft.
[/FONT]​

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Extremely easy problems, try to find something challenging.[/quote]

1. There are two mathematicians, Bill and Dan on a train talking. Dan says to Bill "I know you have 3 children. How old are they?" Bill says "The product of ages of my children is 36, and the sum of their ages add up to my old football jersey number." Dan says "That doesn't tell me anything." Bill says "Oh. My youngest son has red hair." Dan says "Oh, NOW I know how old they are."

How did Dan know how old the children are, and what are their ages?

2. It’s 10:00 on a Saturday morning, and five of the residents of Oceanside Manor are in the laundry room doing their wash. Except for one of the washing machines, which is out of order, all of the machines, which face outward from the utility island, are in use. Each washer is programmed for one of three temperatures (cold, hot, or warm) and one of three settings (delicate, normal, or permanent press). Presently, each of the nine washers in use has a different number of whole minutes left in its cycle. From the information provided, can you determine the name of the resident using each washing machine (lettered A through J in the illustration), each machine’s temperature and setting, and the number of minutes left in its cycle, as well as which one is out of order. Note: Each washer is adjacent to two others. Washer E is back-to-back with washer J. The prime numbers from 2 to 35 are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 29, and 31.

1. No two machines operating at the same water temperature are also operating on the same setting.
2. Each washer has at least two minutes left in its cycle.
3. Only one resident is using more than two machines.
4. One resident is using both the washer that is back-to-back with the out-of-order machine and one that is adjacent to the out-of-order washer.
5. No two adjacent machines have either the same water temperature or the same setting; the two machines adjacent to the out-of-order one also have different temperatures and settings.
6. The five pairs of back-to-back washers are, in some order, the pair that includes the out-of-order machine, a pair being used by Bob and Ford, another pair being used by Bob and Ford, the pair that includes the only washer being used by Sally, and the pair that includes the only washer being used by Margie.
7. The sum of the times remaining on all machines being used by any one resident does not exceed 35 minutes; the sum of the times remaining on any pair of back-to-back machines does not exceed 35 minutes.
8. Exactly four of the numbers of minutes remaining are prime numbers; one of the washers has a time remaining that is a multiple of three of these numbers.
9. Three times as many minutes are remaining on Margie’s washer than are remaining on one of Ford’s washers.
10. Ford has one more minute remaining on one of his machines than he does on another of his machines.
11. Sally has one more minute remaining on her washer than Bob does on one of his; the number of minutes left on Sally’s machine is a multiple of the number of minutes left on the washer back-to-back with hers.
12. The washer with the highest number of minutes left is being used by Janet.
13. Six washers, in consecutive clockwise order, are one being used by Ford, one Bob is using, the one using warm water on the permanent-press setting, the one that is back-to-back with the out-of-order machine, a washer operating on the permanent-press setting (which is back-to-back with the one using hot water on a delicate setting), and the washer with exactly 25 minutes remaining.
14. All of Bob’s washers are operating with the same setting, and all of Ford’s washers are operating at the same water temperature.
15. Janet isn’t using machine A, and Margie isn’t operating machine I.
16. Only three of the washers have less than ten minutes left on their cycles.

[quote name='help1'][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]There are 4 men who want to cross a bridge. They all begin on the same side. [/FONT]
You have 17 minutes to get all of them across to the other side. It is nigthtime. There is only one flashlight. A maximum of two people can cross at any one time. Any party who crosses, either 1 or 2 people, must have the flashlight with them. The flashlight must be walked back and forth; it cannot be thrown, etc.
[/FONT]
Each man walks at a different speed. A pair must walk together at the rate of the slower man's pace.
[/FONT]
Man1: 1 minute to cross
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Man 2: 2 minutes to cross[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Man 3: 5 minutes to cross[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Man 4: 10 minutes to cross[/FONT]
For example, if Man 1 and Man 4 walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed when they get to the other side of the bridge. If Man 4 returns with the flashligth, a total of 20 minutes have passed, and you have failed the mission.
[/FONT]
P.S. The flashligth cannot shine a long distance. No one can be carried, etc. (This is a straighforward problem. There are no tricks.)
[/FONT]
P.P.S. This question is asked at job interviews at Microsoft.
[/FONT][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

1 AND 2 CROSS = 2 MINUTES
2 BRINGS LIGHT BACK = 4 MINS
3 AND 4 CROSS = 14 MINS
1 BRINGS BACK LIGHT = 15 MINS
1 AND 2 CROSS = 17 MINS

so do I have the job now?

I think this problem is crap.

Start by setting up a chart of all age possibilities and their sums...

1 x 1 x 36 - 38
1 x 2 x 18 - 21
1 x 9 x 4 - 37
2 x 2 x 9 - 13
2 x 6 x 3 - 15
3 x 3 x 4 - 10
3 x 12 x 1 - 16
6 x 6 x 1 - 13

Eliminate all the choices that add up to a unique sum (because otherwise Dan would know the answer).

Only 6,6,1 and 2,2,9 remain...

Youngest implies that 2 and 2 is not an option because they are the same age (which is ridiculous because you can have two children who are both 2 years old yet still have an older and younger).

So the answer is 6,6 and 1.

[quote name='Icen']I think this problem is crap.

Start by setting up a chart of all age possibilities and their sums...

1 x 1 x 36 - 38
1 x 2 x 18 - 21
1 x 9 x 4 - 37
2 x 2 x 9 - 13
2 x 6 x 3 - 15
3 x 3 x 4 - 10
3 x 12 x 1 - 16
6 x 6 x 1 - 13

Eliminate all the choices that add up to a unique sum (because otherwise Dan would know the answer).

Only 6,6,1 and 2,2,9 remain...

Youngest implies that 2 and 2 is not an option because they are the same age (which is ridiculous because you can have two children who are both 2 years old yet still have an older and younger).

So the answer is 6,6 and 1.[/quote]

Yep.

And I don't even know the answer to the other one. If anyone cares to try it, please post the answer. ;)

[quote name='Squee']If anyone misses these questions, they should go back to elementary school, lol.

You go to buy a bat and a ball for baseball practice. The cost of the bat and ball together is $1.10. If the bat cost a dollar more than the ball, what is the price of the steroids necessary to use the bat to hit the ball?[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Where are we buying them from? A dealer or on the net from mexico. Cause the net will have cheaper prices. :D

I didn't get any of them right.

[quote name='slimpip']
1 AND 2 CROSS = 2 MINUTES
2 BRINGS LIGHT BACK = 4 MINS
3 AND 4 CROSS = 14 MINS
1 BRINGS BACK LIGHT = 15 MINS
1 AND 2 CROSS = 17 MINS

so do I have the job now?[/quote]

wouldn't 3 and 4 crossing be 15 min though?

No, each pair crosses at the slow man's speed so for 3 and 4 that would be 10 minutes.

Original 3 are pretty easy, but if you did ask them to a group I bet a good many people would miss at least one.

P.P.P.S the manhole question is also a semi-common interview question. The interviewer is generally looking for the interviewee to just make SOME sort of reasonable answer not necessarily answer it 100% correctly. i.e. they want to see if the guy will just sit there going 'uh... uhm... hmmm....' or if s/he can think quickly and come up with something.

Here's one (sort of)

What is this shape called and what makes it unusual/interesting/special. Also how would you make one? (If you can figure out what makes it special but don't know it's official name, more props to you IMO.)

[quote name='wubb']No, each pair crosses at the slow man's speed so for 3 and 4 that would be 10 minutes.

Original 3 are pretty easy, but if you did ask them to a group I bet a good many people would miss at least one.

P.P.P.S the manhole question is also a semi-common interview question. The interviewer is generally looking for the interviewee to just make SOME sort of reasonable answer not necessarily answer it 100% correctly. i.e. they want to see if the guy will just sit there going 'uh... uhm... hmmm....' or if s/he can think quickly and come up with something.

Here's one (sort of)

What is this shape called and what makes it unusual/interesting/special. Also how would you make one? (If you can figure out what makes it special but don't know it's official name, more props to you IMO.)[/quote]

It's a Mobius strip. It has one continuous side. You take a strip of paper and twist it before attaching the ends. Funny thing is, I made one of these by accident in first grade when we were making paper chains, I just didn't know I had such a scientifically significant item in my hands.

Dane.

Nothing, it just shows that something can be considered non-orientable on a three-dimensional plane. It doesn't have sides or edges.

Yeah, if you want to get into machinery or electrical engineering, then you should know what they are. Lots of factories use them as conveyor belts because they last longer, and in terms of electricity it nullifies reactions to alternating current caused by inertia on the electrical inductor.

Did anyone want to try my question? I'd also like to know the answer to it. :lol:

I don't know if there are any practical applications, but they are really neat. In addition to having one side, it also only has one edge.

Cut a strip of paper and make one, then trace the top of a side with your finger and check for yourself that it only has one side. Your nerdy friends will be impressed.

Wow I submitted this last night before I walked away from my computer and it didn't actually hit until I opened it back up this morning :lol:

And there actually is a practical application. (Thanks Blade :) )

bread's done
Back