I wanted some DVD dreamcast covers...so I made my first one. Opinons?

Mookyjooky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
Ok, ok...I would love to have your opinons...but please dont be mean just for the hell of it. It took me 3 hours to get it like this.

First Draft :

dvd-casewrapcopy.jpg

Then I thought, the main image is a little crappy....so I custom made a new one based off of the design of the first. (That once was a wallpaper)

I took this image :

soulcalibur_07.jpg

And this one :

Storm%2520Clouds%2520at%2520Sunset%25202.jpg

Combined them and made this Dvd cover finished (I think):

Soulcalibur%20Dreamcast%20copy.jpg

Im not a professional, nor have I ever gone to art school...but after this Im contemplating it. What do you think?

[quote name='silliemutafuka']Hey that's not bad man! That's really nice, but why go DVD covers eh? I like them in a CD case.

Well, hopefully you'll make more.[/quote]

I wanted to sit them next to all my other DVDs....Im gonna put them in white dvd cases

Oh man, No. DVD covers are TOTALLY the way to go! And wow man, I'm really impressed by your work. WOuld you mind sending me a full-size image? I'd love to put my SC in that case haha.

A few things though. Since Mitsurugi is so pronounced, try doing a littler better job cutting him out. I know going pixel by pixel is a pain in the ass but in the long run, especially on printed material, it's well worth it. A blur filter on some parts would make it a bit easier, but that all depends on your particular tastes. I also think you went a bit overboard with making his body 'reflect' his surroundings. It's fine and kinda cool on his armor, but when it gets to his hair, it looks really unrealistic. Finally, the "Custom Made by:" is WAY too prominent. I personally think it would be MUCH cooler if you put it just above the "Sega and Dreamcast are registered Trademarks of..." and made it look like it was part of the original packaging.

But yeah.... Great job! Make more!
(psst... I lost my MVC2 case... ;-) )

[quote name='Mookyjooky']

I didnt see any Dreamcast DVD covers...just cd jewel case ones[/quote]

Ahh yes, too right, too right.

[quote name='ratedpeej']Oh man, No. DVD covers are TOTALLY the way to go! And wow man, I'm really impressed by your work. WOuld you mind sending me a full-size image? I'd love to put my SC in that case haha.

A few things though. Since Mitsurugi is so pronounced, try doing a littler better job cutting him out. I know going pixel by pixel is a pain in the ass but in the long run, especially on printed material, it's well worth it. A blur filter on some parts would make it a bit easier, but that all depends on your particular tastes. I also think you went a bit overboard with making his body 'reflect' his surroundings. It's fine and kinda cool on his armor, but when it gets to his hair, it looks really unrealistic. Finally, the "Custom Made by:" is WAY too prominent. I personally think it would be MUCH cooler if you put it just above the "Sega and Dreamcast are registered Trademarks of..." and made it look like it was part of the original packaging.

But yeah.... Great job! Make more!
(psst... I lost my MVC2 case... ;-) )[/quote]

I'll work on the inner glow (more realistic) - and MVC2 is next!

what was the steps you took to make it, photoshop wise. and how many layers did you end up with? did u use filters on the left of your cover? instead of school check out the new photo shop book. its bitchin/.

You know, if you take that photo of mitsurugi and drop it into photoshop you can use the black background color as a layer mask. All you will have left is Mitsurugi himself. No need to clean up his edges.

[quote name='daphatty']You know, if you take that photo of mitsurugi and drop it into photoshop you can use the black background color as a layer mask. All you will have left is Mitsurugi himself. No need to clean up his edges.[/quote]

EDIT: I'm moving this to the General Gaming Forum. It really belongs there and should get some more foot traffic anyway. :D

[quote name='daphatty']You know, if you take that photo of mitsurugi and drop it into photoshop you can use the black background color as a layer mask. All you will have left is Mitsurugi himself. No need to clean up his edges.[/quote]

Are his edges that bad? I used the magic wand set to 5 to get out all the black. I dont know how to do a layer mask....pretty new to this.

[quote name='daphatty'][quote name='daphatty']You know, if you take that photo of mitsurugi and drop it into photoshop you can use the black background color as a layer mask. All you will have left is Mitsurugi himself. No need to clean up his edges.[/quote]

EDIT: I'm moving this to the General Gaming Forum. It really belongs there and should get some more foot traffic anyway. :D[/quote]

Cool...sorry for putting it in the wrong place.

Not only is that very good work, but I can fully get behind doing something for the sake of being anal retentive. I do many things like that with my games. Mine usually involve storage, but I know just what you are thinking with this idea. Good work!

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='daphatty']You know, if you take that photo of mitsurugi and drop it into photoshop you can use the black background color as a layer mask. All you will have left is Mitsurugi himself. No need to clean up his edges.[/quote]

Are his edges that bad? I used the magic wand set to 5 to get out all the black. I dont know how to do a layer mask....pretty new to this.[/quote]

They aren't too bad, but even using the magic wand, you may have wanted to set a higher tolerance. It looks good, although I personally would think it'd look a bit better with an artistic filter run over the front cover.

Are you taking requests? I lost my case for FFT (it was non-GH, too) awhile back, and have the game in a spare PS2 case now... wouldn't mind a sweet lookin cover for it

Let's not forget that you have to have a sweet printer to go along with a sweet custom cover. Otherwise, it just looks shitty next to all those other store bought games.

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='daphatty']You know, if you take that photo of mitsurugi and drop it into photoshop you can use the black background color as a layer mask. All you will have left is Mitsurugi himself. No need to clean up his edges.[/quote]

Are his edges that bad? I used the magic wand set to 5 to get out all the black. I dont know how to do a layer mask....pretty new to this.[/quote]

i like using the feather better (magic wand) just use what ever method you like. read the book if you really want to get into it. Photo shop has alot of built in stuff that can save you alot of time, but the outcome is the same.

[quote name='daphatty']Let's not forget that you have to have a sweet printer to go along with a sweet custom cover. Otherwise, it just looks shitty next to all those other store bought games.[/quote]

Kinkos will print custom DVD covers...as long as they're custom and not copied dvd commercial covers

[quote name='rimsforsale'][quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='daphatty']You know, if you take that photo of mitsurugi and drop it into photoshop you can use the black background color as a layer mask. All you will have left is Mitsurugi himself. No need to clean up his edges.[/quote]

i like using the feather better (magic wand) just use what ever method you like. read the book if you really want to get into it. Photo shop has alot of built in stuff that can save you alot of time, but the outcome is the same.[/quote]

I just may have to get that book... thanks! :D

[quote name='WildWop']Are you taking requests? I lost my case for FFT (it was non-GH, too) awhile back, and have the game in a spare PS2 case now... wouldn't mind a sweet lookin cover for it[/quote]

Maybe we can work out a trade... :D

[quote name='ZForce915']Not only is that very good work, but I can fully get behind doing something for the sake of being anal retentive. I do many things like that with my games. Mine usually involve storage, but I know just what you are thinking with this idea. Good work![/quote]

Thanks man, I think I have more fun shuffling games around and making custom covers than playing half of them.

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='Ericnmel99']THats an awsome job....but you could of just gone to www.cdcovers.cc[/quote]

I didnt see any Dreamcast DVD covers...just cd jewel case ones[/quote]
If you download a program called undercover xp, it will let you take whatever you get from cdcovers.cc or any pictures that you may have and make them into DVD size pics. This is an awesome free program. Great work by the way on the SC thing

Any personal printer can out put a decent cover as long as the image resolution is 300dpi (standard printing quality). I had to makke one for my Twisted Metal Black:Online because that corny cardboard sleave just wasnt worth keeping.

A couple of really high quality scans (300-600 dpi)of the instructions and the back cover would've been how I did it rather than all the recompositing you did. Your cover looks great here though. The Magic wand is best for simple flat objects though taking Mitsurugi off a black back ground certainly helps, personally I prefer the polygonal lasso tool because you can get pinpoint accuracy, and using it with the "anti aliased" checked because it give you a truer edge than the feather which I prefer for cuting out things with undfined edges like clouds. A high resolution coupled with and anti aliased tool would have cut down the jaggy white edge next to the picture.

The only thing I have a problem with on your cover is the disparity between the quality of the cover image and the title and text. The Soulcalibur image you put on it is noticably lower in quality and the spide text is blurry, you should make sure all your elements are the same dpi before combining them (shirnking an image to fit is okay but you loose qualty on enlarging it).

[quote name='Alpha2']Any personal printer can out put a decent cover as long as the image resolution is 300dpi (standard printing quality). I had to makke one for my Twisted Metal Black:Online because that corny cardboard sleave just wasnt worth keeping.

A couple of really high quality scans (300-600 dpi)of the instructions and the back cover would've been how I did it rather than all the recompositing you did. Your cover looks great here though. The Magic wand is best for simple flat objects though taking Mitsurugi off a black back ground certainly helps, personally I prefer the polygonal lasso tool because you can get pinpoint accuracy, and using it with the "anti aliased" checked because it give you a truer edge than the feather which I prefer for cuting out things with undfined edges like clouds. A high resolution coupled with and anti aliased tool would have cut down the jaggy white edge next to the picture.

The only thing I have a problem with on your cover is the disparity between the quality of the cover image and the title and text. The Soulcalibur image you put on it is noticably lower in quality and the spide text is blurry, you should make sure all your elements are the same dpi before combining them (shirnking an image to fit is okay but you loose qualty on enlarging it).[/quote]

Your right, I need to get a copy of soulcalibur and scan it. THat way I can get awesome pics. If anyone here wants to scan it (HQ only please) for me I'll give them a kinkos printed version of this (would be at that time "Cleaned up") version of this custom cover w/ a white dvd case to match the style of the dreamcast cover art.

I'm giving a free copy to anyone who can send me they're case with the booklet and inserts and shit so I can scan them. YOU WILL GET YOUR STUFF BACK! I just want them to scan it, Online images are crap. I will then send the case back with a free custom DVD Dreamcast case. I will even include a booklet based from the booklet I scanned from your case. I am doing SoulCalibur now, but I will do these games next in this order. So feel free to contact me for these other games as well.

You can Email me at : [email protected]

SoulCalibur (NOW)
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Cannon Spike
Mr Driller
Rez
Ikaruga

Ha, that's awesome.
I think you should make a template and put it up somewhere, for anyone that wants to make a custom case of their own, and have them all look nice and identical. You've got me wanting to make Sonic Adventure ones, now... XD

By the way, it's a great idea, keeping DC games in DVD cases. For some reason, my CD storage space is severely limited, but I've got plenty of space for DVDs. :p

Dude, that fucking rocks. Makes me want to make some custom cases even more. I really need to make CD covers for my PC games, as most are in blank cases. It would probably be better to use PS, rather than GIMP.

I know I can do this, as I made a very cool (IMO) custom EGM cover for my Computer Graphics class. Once I get a printer and scanner, I am definately going to be doing this.

Hijacking here, but what is the cheapest (legal) way to get PS Version 7 or above? I really want to continue with my art, but can't afford a $600 price tag.

But again, sweet cover, you have a good eye for layouts.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Dude, that shaq-fuing rocks. Makes me want to make some custom cases even more. I really need to make CD covers for my PC games, as most are in blank cases. It would probably be better to use PS, rather than GIMP.

I know I can do this, as I made a very cool (IMO) custom EGM cover for my Computer Graphics class. Once I get a printer and scanner, I am definately going to be doing this.

Hijacking here, but what is the cheapest (legal) way to get PS Version 7 or above? I really want to continue with my art, but can't afford a $600 price tag.

But again, sweet cover, you have a good eye for layouts.[/quote]

Thanks man. I'll relase the Photoshop template when its perfected.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Dude, that shaq-fuing rocks. Makes me want to make some custom cases even more. I really need to make CD covers for my PC games, as most are in blank cases. It would probably be better to use PS, rather than GIMP.

If your in some sort of schooling, ask around. Many times you can get HEAVILY discounted programs. And yes, i mean legally. School sometimes have deals made with companies like microsoft and adobe for all of the schools computers.

If you can track down a REALLY old version, I've got a PS6.0 upgrade that I could sell you (which is, believe it or not, sealed). Once you get the old copy you can pay for the upgrade to 7.0 or CS, which will run you about $180.

bread's done
Back