Point Blank DS (yes the light gun game!) Available Now

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
March 22, 2006 - Namco Bandai Games has revealed that it will produce a Nintendo DS rendition of its popular PlayStation and arcade lightgun shooter series, Point Blank. The game is being prepped for a Summer 2006 launch.

Point Blank DS will feature more than 40 different touch screen action sequences, requiring quick and precise taps with the stylus. Players will shoot down clay pigeons, aliens...anything the crazy Namco Bandai designers can think of.

The DS rendition will feature five modes of play. In Arcade mode, there will be four different levels of difficulty in a variety of mini shooting games. Versus mode enables players to challenge friends using the wireless feature needing only one game card. Brain Massage is an option where players can shoot through various stages while the game analyzes the abilities and gives feedback. Freeplay gives players the ability to select any stage at any time to challenge their best score. And Games Museum is a group of new stages adapted from Namco's classic coin-op arcade series.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/697/697603p1.html

I hope its not too easy with the touch screen but im so excited, I love the Point Blank series.

EDIT: Out now.

i love the originals. the game is so much fun. hehe :) summer is a long wait. haha. it's ok i have a bunch of games i haven't even played. :(

One wonders how accurate the stylus will be for this kind of game. Any time I make a "stabbing" motion while fishing in Lost In Blue I have to rely on luck to hit it just right. Then again, I think something's a little "off" with that mini-game. Hopefully the touch-screen detection will be spot-on for Point Blank, because I like this series more than any of the "serious" light gun games.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I wish Namco Re-release Point Blank 1/2/3 in one collection for PS2 version instead DS. PS2 Need more Gun game![/quote]

They did as a JPN title. I have it, its called Gunvari Collection. Can't play it yet, my system is not modded. I'll eventually get a flip top case for my PS2 and then I'll test it out.

*throws shitty Guncom in the garbage*

WOOOOO, Stylus-controlled lightgun games!

I was recently involved in a classic gaming website's 100 Greatest Games ever list (actually it was a few years ago) and I sucsessfully lobied for Point Blank to be the only light gun game included. It's the best shooting game ever. No question.

[quote name='iheartmetal']sounds cool. i really wish nintendo would release a light gun collection with games like hogans alley and duck hunt.[/QUOTE]
That would be amazing. Point Blank should be interesting on DS though.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't know... a light gun shooter played using a stylus? I don't see this one working.:whistle2:k[/quote]

It depends. I can see quite a number of the games working but I can't imagine that they would (or should) reach the speed of some of the more harrowing challenges in the series and whatnot. However, I guess it depends. I'm just hoping they can make it translate well between the highly different formats.

I had totally forgotten about this game. BB is showing the release date as 6/24 which is a Saturday?

Also note that EB and GS are pulling the $34.99 BS again when everyone else is showing it as $29.99. I'm getting tired of them jacking up GBA and DS game prices. I'll pay $25 after GGC for this game, but $35 is a little steep for this type of game, IMO.

Loved this game in the arcades. Hopefully it will have a lower MSRP and it will be a no brainer pick up for me after GGC.

I wonder if Nintendo could make a mini light gun for the DS? You would probably have to set the DS on a table, and step back a little... and broadcast the top screen on a TV to see it... but it could work...

[quote name='bob330i']Loved this game in the arcades. Hopefully it will have a lower MSRP and it will be a no brainer pick up for me after GGC.[/quote]

See my post above. It will be $30 at BB, Target, etc., and GS and EB will tack on a $5 premium for no apparent reason. $25 at BB sounds about right for this game.

I played it at E3 and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm sure the IGN review covers all of the modes and variations of play. For those doubting the stylus control, it was actually very fun to poke at targets!

After reading their review, I totally agree that Time Crisis and other gun games (Area 51?) should head to the DS.

I was really hoping that Point Blank would check in at a budget price though, as the build is very much aimed at all players. It wasn't the longest, most complex game at E3.

Yeah a buget price release would have been nice. It sounds fun but it also sounds like it will get boring quickly. I'll get it eventually but I'm guessing it will have a price drop by the end of the summer (doesn't seem like the type of game that will sell well).

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Yeah a buget price release would have been nice. It sounds fun but it also sounds like it will get boring quickly. I'll get it eventually but I'm guessing it will have a price drop by the end of the summer (doesn't seem like the type of game that will sell well).[/QUOTE]

I would have picked this up imediatly if it were $19.99, but at the current price I'll wait.

So has anyone else picked this game up yet? I managed to get the only copy at Frys. I asked how many copies they got in and they told me that was the only one....

Not sure if thats true or not, but I can't seem to find the game anywhere else either. Btw the game is really fun if you were into the Point Blanks for the psone.

[quote name='Prepster']So has anyone else picked this game up yet? I managed to get the only copy at Frys. I asked how many copies they got in and they told me that was the only one....

Not sure if thats true or not, but I can't seem to find the game anywhere else either. Btw the game is really fun if you were into the Point Blanks for the psone.[/quote]
The game is fun and I can't find anyone with it in stock locally so I snagged it off EBay for retail price shipped.

EB and GameSlop are useless morons as usual too, and I quote: "Point.....Blank? What is that?" :applause:

That kind of answer I would expect at Target, Best Buy or even Toys R Us but from a VIDEO GAME chain? :roll:

The thing with this game and the question everyone is asking is...How does the stylus compare with the light gun?

Bottomline: It can't. It in NO way is as much fun with the stylus.

However, Point Blank was never really about aim but more rather quick reflexes first most and THEN aim. So the stylus works here to a point. Targets and objectives seem more sped up to compromise for the fact that you aren't aiming with a light gun but merely tapping on a screen, a concept that would basically make the objective of this game easier to take on (Blasting everything in sight). So this is more about a steady and more reflexive hand rather than a good eye to shoot with.

In a nutshell for you newbs who have never played this series on the PSX, on the DS it becomes "Warioware: Shooting Gallery" and its quite fun, especially when the Namco properties start popping up.

I'm excited to play the multiplayer the most.

Mine is in the mail, I can't wait to play it. I never played the PSX versions but I have spent many quarters playing Point Blank, 2 player.

[quote name='Womp']The game is fun and I can't find anyone with it in stock locally so I snagged it off EBay for retail price shipped.

EB and GameSlop are useless morons as usual too, and I quote: "Point.....Blank? What is that?" :applause:

That kind of answer I would expect at Target, Best Buy or even Toys R Us but from a VIDEO GAME chain? :roll:[/QUOTE]

I know everyone keeps saying this, but I will say it again: EB games has a tendancey to hire people that aren't too versed in games. Usually since friends hire friends and back scratching... that's half the reason why I never get hired after applying to about 10 different stores :lol:

Does anyone know if Point Blank is having a limited print run since copies are not widely available? Crazy question I know, but was just wondering since I have only seen one copy for sale in about 20 different stores.

[quote name='Prepster']Does anyone know if Point Blank is having a limited print run since copies are not widely available? Crazy question I know, but was just wondering since I have only seen one copy for sale in about 20 different stores.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe companies are getting smart... why make a ton of Point Blank when only a few will sell?

I'll prolly pick it up for a $20 price.. or maybe in a B1G1 or B2G1 sale.

I agree with whoever said they wouldn't spend $30 (or $35) on this game.

so... which retailers actually have this in stock these days.

gamestop and eb games definately don't, and read some of these posts fry's has copies and some gamecrazys do as well... any other locations?

bread's done
Back