Bob Ross on the Revolution (not April Fools)

ananag112

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699647p1.html

March 31, 2006 - In news that breaks free from the shackles of abnormal and jumps headfirst into the realm of surreal, independent development studio AGFRAG Entertainment Group has announced that it is working on videogames based on the cult television icon Bob Ross.

The afro-enhanced painter is known around the globe for his mild-mannered television show, The Joy of Painting, where he has for decades demonstrated his speedy skill with a paint brush. The public access hit has been picked up by more than 3,000 stations worldwide in its long run. In 1995, Ross died at the age of 52. Many of his paintings were donated to PBS.

The games, which are being developed specifically for Nintendo's Revolution console and DS handheld, will be focused on the art of painting, no doubt harnessing the precision accuracy of Nintendo's control methods. A PC version is also planned.

We're not kidding.

AGFRAG made the announcement yesterday, prompting concerns from skeptics of an early April Fool's joke. We contacted AGFRAG directly for clarification.

"The press release is not a joke, but the side effect of people thinking it is might help us get noticed," explained Joseph Hatcher, who heads up the company brining Bob Ross to Nintendo's systems.

AGFRAG is Hatcher's development group, consisting of students, independent developers and professionals in the game industry. "AGFRAG secured a worldwide exclusive licensing agreement with Bob Ross Inc. just before the Game Developers Conference took place," Hatcher revealed. "We are talking with various companies and plan to make an announcement near E3 regarding which platforms the game will be developed on first, and maybe a surprise."

Hatcher himself admits to being a big Ross fan, which is partly why he wants to make games based on his work. "I personally loved watching Bob Ross growing up and I enjoyed watching how easily he created his paintings. We want to translate that same feeling of watching the TV show into playing a Bob Ross game," he said. "Whether you are an eight-year-old child, or a 65-year-old grandma, we want anyone to be able to pick up the game to create and play to your heart's content."

When we think about videogames, the name Bob Ross does not spring to mind. But the DS and Revolution may be the best systems to bring the Joy of Painting to gamers. "The Nintendo DS and Nintendo Revolution are perfect platforms for what we have in mind!" Hatcher explained. "We like the way Nintendo carves their own path of innovation and creativity and we strive to do the same."

AGFRAG has not yet secured a publisher for the titles. More news on these projects will be forthcoming beginning this May at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2006 in Los Angeles. Aspiring painters, we'll keep you posted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first I thought that this was a April Fools day joke. However if you go to the official Bob Ross site:

http://www.bobross.com/news.cfm

So yeah, what are your thoughts? Bob Ross is well known and some folks could buy a Revolution for the game. Mario paint was pretty cool, and this game may be as well.

look it this...with the announcement of one game I can already tell this system will be cooler than the 360 and ps3 combined.

I thought it was fake when I saw the IGN article, but it would be an awful elaborate joke for IGN to have to make a deal with the people who run the Bob Ross site.

It cant be real. I'm in total disbelief. All of this disbelief building up is making me ill.

The coolest, most unexpected announcement ever. I just watched some old school Bob Ross on YouTube. I used to watch that all the time when it was on.

they REALLY shouldve waited until not the week leading up to April 1st to make this announcement.

I still cant believe it. My disbelief is FROTHING.

[quote name='Strell']Afro wig Revmote shell?

ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES.[/QUOTE]
This will sell millions.

I honestly can't wait. I'm hoping for a little polygonal Bob Ross. Or maybe some old show footage, hopefully of his stories about his little squirrel friend.

I think it's oddball stuff like this that's really going to start hooking non-gamers in. I can't even begin to fathom how this game will work, but I'll be curious to read more about it in the future.

[quote name='daroga']I think it's oddball stuff like this that's really going to start hooking non-gamers in. I can't even begin to fathom how this game will work, but I'll be curious to read more about it in the future.[/QUOTE]

Well clearly, if you tell anyone about that tree in the corner, he's going to come to your house and cut you.

I am very sorry, CAG. But the joke had to be made. Had to.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']they REALLY shouldve waited until not the week leading up to April 1st to make this announcement.

I still cant believe it. My disbelief is FROTHING.[/QUOTE]

I thought so too(and am still skeptical), but if you look at when the info was posted on the Bob Ross site, it says "March 16, 2006". It could just be really, REALLY bad timing on their part.

[quote name='Apossum']look it this...with the announcement of one game I can already tell this system will be cooler than the 360 and ps3 combined.[/QUOTE]

Statements like that might actually mean something if everybody and their brother didn't throw them out every time some supposedly "innovative" game/feature was introduced.

Regardless - I'm in. Even though I'm the worst artist ever.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Statements like that might actually mean something if everybody and their brother didn't throw them out every time some supposedly "innovative" game/feature was introduced.

Regardless - I'm in. Even though I'm the worst artist ever.[/QUOTE]

statements like that never meant anything because they are subjective hyperbole and in this case, just meant for fun.

This is our secret little tree...and if you tell anyone about, I will come to your house and kill you!

Happy Cloud +5 is going against Rustice shack with wood of binding.

[quote name='evilmax17']No....NO!!!!![/quote]

Bummer. Hopefully someone else will pick up the license or acquire the rights to the game. I don't want to live in a world where Mary Kate and Ashley can get their own game and the legendary Bob Ross can't.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't want to live in a world where Mary Kate and Ashley can get their own game and the legendary Bob Ross can't.[/quote]

Excellent point. This is a grave injustice.

bread's done
Back