The next console war is heating up... PS3

legion_stxds

CAGiversary!
Was just surfing for some news and found this: Link Looks like Microsoft got the competition to look into a possible early launch date too?

It is just hype. You must be new, because companies say all types of shit before E3. Hell, they say all types of shit during E3 and don't come through. The simple truth is that all we know is that all 3 systems are looking to make an impact at E3 and that is all.

Nothing will be set in concrete until a week before the event for hardware. And software demos won't be burnt until the night before.

My guess:

Sony is trying to bluff M$ so that M$ will feel pressured to show their cards early. That way, Sony can see exactly what they got and attempt to 1-up them.

What war?

Its all media hype and marketing. Empires will not topple, and, there are lots of smaller competitors jumping in to get their piece of the pie.

Seems to me that all 3 major companies are doing just fine, and will continue to do just fine.

Remember when everyone was moaning about polygons when the XBox came out? Well the low-poly console still outsells everything else, and lets not even talk about GameBoy sales compared to consoles.

War schmore.

[quote name='Wlogan31']My guess:

Sony is trying to bluff M$ so that M$ will feel pressured to show their cards early. That way, Sony can see exactly what they got and attempt to 1-up them.[/quote]

i wanna see them do that :D (sorry, im a sony buff :lol:)

I can easily see the next generation becoming much more heated as far as competition goes. Sony is bound to lose a good chunk of market share on the next console (atleast in the US), MS has a following now, a name attached to them, and people won't be scared they're just going to go away.

I think Sony's wanting to wait to release the PS3 until after the Xbox so as to not get as techologically overwhelmed like they were this gen. But I really think MS coming out first is going to cement them a nice chunk of market share and hurt Sony in the long run.

Nintendo will always have its following, and between the next console and the DS.. they're sure to keep a nice chunk of market share also.

So in summary.. I can easily see something like a 40% Sony, 35% MS, 25% Nintendo break down next generation and that could make one hell of a war.

But it's all bullshitting, who knows whats really going to happen.

Even if M$ revealed the nextbox today it'd still be too late for sony to really capitalize on the information before the next E3, it'd be like Sega jammin extra processors into the Saturn after seeing how powerful the PS1 was.

In terms of technilogy you have to be 3 steps ahead of the other guy before he even shows his hand. The recent "leaked" specs for it are the only thing sony could've had to go on with any real lead time and their goal would be to leap frog that by a factor of x3 assuming it's even finantially viable.

I wish I could go again next year but my friend who got me in last time is going to Japan for 3 years at the end of the month... unless maybe I can get an industry job in the next few months...

Hopefully a new war will dull the pain on your wallet, Rodimus, by forcing prices to drop faster than this generation of consoles.

[quote name='BigHow']Hopefully a new war will dull the pain on your wallet, Rodimus, by forcing prices to drop faster than this generation of consoles.[/quote]

If Sony and MS compete with each other to have the best technology possible in their next consoles.. we could end up with very expensive units that are too costly to drop down in price for quite a while.

I purposely excluded Nintendo.. because they don't seem to give a damn what any of the other guys do :)

[quote name='CheapyD']All I know is that E3 2005 is gonna be hot.
I'm booking my hotel now.[/quote]

Yeah. You can bet all the fanboy non-industry types are going to try to weasel thier way into this one with increased furor.

[quote name='Wlogan31']My guess:

Sony is trying to bluff M$ so that M$ will feel pressured to show their cards early. That way, Sony can see exactly what they got and attempt to 1-up them.[/quote]

I doubt it. If M$ did that is because they know what they're doing.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']If Sony and MS compete with each other to have the best technology possible in their next consoles.. we could end up with very expensive units that are too costly to drop down in price for quite a while.

I purposely excluded Nintendo.. because they don't seem to give a damn what any of the other guys do :)[/quote]

That's exactly why I plan to buy the Nintendo console when it comes out. I really hope that the N sticks with the cheaper console mentality.

If it could somehow get outta the gates with a $200 to $250 price tag when Microsoft and Sony's consoles are in the $400 range, then I think Nintendo can outsell both consoles during the first year.

I purposely excluded Nintendo.. because they don't seem to give a damn what any of the other guys do :)

Yeah Nintendo has had control of the handheld market (being there really wasn't any viable competitors, Ngage is a gay taco) and coupled with the fact that they have been around the longest (EXP), I would expect a "different" type of product.

[quote name='CheapyD']All I know is that E3 2005 is gonna be hot.
I'm booking my hotel now.[/quote]

Yeah... though I heard rumors of sony skipping the next E3... I will need to look to see where I saw them though. I want to go... mainly because I have never been and it's suppose to be the videogame mecha. I so eveny you all that get to go! :D

[quote name='legion_stxds']

Yeah Nintendo has had control of the handheld market (being there really wasn't any viable competitors, Ngage is a gay taco) and coupled with the fact that they have been around the longest (EXP), I would expect a "different" type of product.[/quote]

Well they're going to have some competition from the PSP, so they won't be able to just rely on that anymore. But I was wondering how do tacos have a sexuality preference.. and how do the act on that preference.. and how do you tell the difference between a male and a female taco?

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='legion_stxds']

Yeah Nintendo has had control of the handheld market (being there really wasn't any viable competitors, Ngage is a gay taco) and coupled with the fact that they have been around the longest (EXP), I would expect a "different" type of product.[/quote]

Well they're going to have some competition from the PSP, so they won't be able to just rely on that anymore. But I was wondering how do tacos have a sexuality preference.. and how do the act on that preference.. and how do you tell the difference between a male and a female taco?[/quote]

roflol!!! um... well I guess by what is in the taco really...? Gotta see if there is um meat or not. :) oh man... :lol:

P.S. The psp looks like it will rock!

The PSP looks interesting, but I'm going to take a wait and see attitude with it. Right now Sony is promising too much for too little... until I see a concrete price , a set launch lineup and some hard numbers on battery life, it's still nothing but vaporware to me. Same with the DS.

[quote name='BigHow']Hopefully a new war will dull the pain on your wallet, Rodimus, by forcing prices to drop faster than this generation of consoles.[/quote]

Good point

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='BigHow']Hopefully a new war will dull the pain on your wallet, Rodimus, by forcing prices to drop faster than this generation of consoles.[/quote]

If Sony and MS compete with each other to have the best technology possible in their next consoles.. we could end up with very expensive units that are too costly to drop down in price for quite a while.

I purposely excluded Nintendo.. because they don't seem to give a damn what any of the other guys do :)[/quote]

Given that M$ has acknowledged that they're using the XBox system itself as a loss leader, I think they'd be willing to drop the price of the system earlier than Sony. Granted, it can't drop too soon or else it gains an image of inferior quality to the consumer. But I think we can expect XBox2 to drop in price at an earlier point in its lifecycle than the original XBox. Also, I don't think the console market will support a $400+ prcietag for very long. Once you go beyond the iPod price range, I think, it definitely leaves the realm of expensive consumer good and becomes a high end, electronic luxury.

Don't count on any of the next generation systems costing more than $300. The industry found that the $300 dollar price point nets them the market penetration they need in order to survive a launch. Both Xbox and Sony will be $300. That is my story and I am sticking to it. :D

[quote name='daphatty']Don't count on any of the next generation systems costing more than $300. The industry found that the $300 dollar price point nets them the market penetration they need in order to survive a launch. Both Xbox and Sony will be $300. That is my story and I am sticking to it. :D[/quote]

Yeah... I have only seen the Neogeo and PS2 at 300+ rates. Neogeo was like 600 dollars when it came out (least when I first noticed it) and when the PS2 came out there was a shortage (heard of someone even got stabbed for a PS2) and people were selling them for around double the price on ebay. Otherwise, 300 is really a good initial MSRP for these systems (Nintendo typically excluded).

[quote name='legion_stxds'][quote name='daphatty']Don't count on any of the next generation systems costing more than $300. The industry found that the $300 dollar price point nets them the market penetration they need in order to survive a launch. Both Xbox and Sony will be $300. That is my story and I am sticking to it. :D[/quote]

Yeah... I have only seen the Neogeo and PS2 at 300+ rates. Neogeo was like 600 dollars when it came out (least when I first noticed it) and when the PS2 came out there was a shortage (heard of someone even got stabbed for a PS2) and people were selling them for around double the price on ebay. Otherwise, 300 is really a good initial MSRP for these systems (Nintendo typically excluded).[/quote]

The MSRP was still $300 on the PS2.. Sony wasn't charging any more than that. What people could get for them on Ebay due to the shortage is another story. And I could be wrong here, but I think the Jaguar had a $400 initial MSRP.

Yeah Sony still maintained MSRP on the PS2. People just took advantage of supply and demand (nothing wrong there... just anoying for some...me :) )I soooo wanted a PS2 when they came out but couldn't get one. So, I went with Xbox... sigh... but fell in love. :)

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='legion_stxds'][quote name='daphatty']Don't count on any of the next generation systems costing more than $300. The industry found that the $300 dollar price point nets them the market penetration they need in order to survive a launch. Both Xbox and Sony will be $300. That is my story and I am sticking to it. :D[/quote]

Yeah... I have only seen the Neogeo and PS2 at 300+ rates. Neogeo was like 600 dollars when it came out (least when I first noticed it) and when the PS2 came out there was a shortage (heard of someone even got stabbed for a PS2) and people were selling them for around double the price on ebay. Otherwise, 300 is really a good initial MSRP for these systems (Nintendo typically excluded).[/quote]

The MSRP was still $300 on the PS2.. Sony wasn't charging any more than that. What people could get for them on Ebay due to the shortage is another story. And I could be wrong here, but I think the Jaguar had a $400 initial MSRP.[/quote]

THe Jaguar was $250 with Cybermorph bundled. My original unit had a serial number in the 4000's but I had to send it in for the Doom bug fix.

This was back when TRU had everything in the cage and you brought a printed ticket from the aisle display to buy an item. (I hated the setup then but I strangely find myself missing it whenever I go into a TRU today.) There was absolutely nothing in the aisle to suggest the Jaguar stuff had arrived but I happed to look at the cage on my way out the door and noticed there were some unfamiliar boxes tucked in the back that appeared to have the same logo I'd seen in a magazine. After some coercion I got them to pull one out and sell it to me.

Hey, it felt like a coup at the time. It didn't cost me anything since I had several hundred dollars in TRU Geoffrey money stashed in my car. How I acquired that is a story for another day.

Sony is full of shit. Remember the 100 billion polygons, or whatever the dumb number was, thing that the PS2 could handle and it turned out to be about 10 times less.

Everyone support Sony- a Japan corporation. Don't support American company like Microsoft. Halo sucks, broadband only sucks- Dial up 56K rules!

I don't give a crap about the next war, I'm going to ride out my current consoles all the way to 2007! The Nintendo DS is a exception of course...

bread's done
Back