Box Office thread #8 weekend of 04/21/06 win a DVD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Here it is folks! This weeks Box Office thread is the first where YOU the CAG can win a DVD. As I stated in a previous thread, the CAG who chooses the movie that will be the number one movie earner will win a DVD from me. In the event of a tie, a winner will be chosen at random. Simple. Void where prohibited, not valid in Antarctica, blah blah blah.

Now, lets take a look at last week's poll. Congratulations to the 29 CAG's who chose Scary Movie 4 as the number one movie last week. Speaking of which, i'm starting to think that Lice and I AM WILLIAM H. MACY are the same person! We had quite a few new winners and a few of you moved up in the wins category as well. Here are the top 3 places:

[highlight]5 wins:[/highlight]
I AM WILLIAM H. MACY, Tyga24, Lice

4 wins:
darkmere, GF_Eric, thack, captaincold, shieryda, Maklershed

3 wins:
sblymnlcrymnl, thatstoobad, AdamInPlaidum, klwillis45, Greetard, Brak, Danro, Dead of Knight, DT778, guardian_owl, Shayde, slidecage

And now here are the movies opening this weekend - 04/21/06:

Silent Hill
Director: Christophe Gans
Stars: Radha Mitchell, Laurie Holden, Sean Bean
Studio: TriStar Pictures

The Plot: A mother (Mitchell) loses her sick daughter in a deserted town that seems to be controlled by a dark force.

American Dreamz
Director: Paul Weitz
Stars: Hugh Grant, Dennis Quaid, Mandy Moore
Studio: Universal Pictures

The Plot: The new season of "American Dreamz," the wildly popular television singing contest, has captured the country's attention, and the competition looks to be between a young Midwestern gal (Moore) and a showtunes-loving guy from Orange County (Golzari). Recently awakened President Staton (Quaid) even wants in on the craze, as he signs up for the potentially explosive season finale.

The Sentinel
Director: Clark Johnson
Stars: Michael Douglas, Kiefer Sutherland, Kim Basinger
Studio: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation

The Plot: A disgraced special agent (Douglas) works to foil a plot to assassinate the U.S. President.

Somersault [limited]
Director: Cate Shortland
Stars: Abbie Cornish, Sam Worthington, Lynette Curran
Studio: Magnolia Pictures

The Plot: Life-altering challenges continue to present themselves for Heidi (Cornish) after she's kicked out of the house for sleeping with her mother's boyfriend.

Standing Still [limited]
Director: Matthew Cole Weiss
Stars: Jon Abrahams, Amy Adams, Aaron Stanford
Studio: Freestyle Releasing LLC

The Plot: A handful of college buds reunite for a wedding in Los Angeles, setting off a chain reaction of dramatic confrontations and tawdry hookups.

In Her Line of Fire [limited]
Director: Brian Trenchard-Smith
Stars: Mariel Hemingway, David Keith, David Millbern
Studio: Regent Releasing

The Plot: When the Vice President's plane goes down near a remote South American island, he is kidnapped by rebel forces and held for ransom. It is up to his female Secret Service agent (Hemingway) and a his secretary (Bennett) to infiltrate the camp and save him.

Tops at the box office as of 04/16/06:
(dollar figures are weekend/total gross)

1. Scary Movie 4 $40.2M/$40.2M
2. Ice Age: The Meltdown $20M/$147M
3. The Benchwarmers $9.91M/$35.9M
4. The Wild $9.68M/$9.68M
5. Take the Lead $6.78M/$22.6M
6. Inside Man $6.43M/$75.4M
7. Lucky Number Slevin $4.75M/$14.3M
8. Thank You for Smoking $4.49M/$11.5M
9. Failure to Launch $2.61M/$83.2M
10. V for Vendetta $2.22M/$66M

Link to thread #7
Thanks as always to the IMDB
Be sure to vote for who you think will rake in the most money this weekend and feel free to discuss the box office. Also, be sure to go out and support your favorite movie!

I chose Silent Hill simply because that will be what im going to see this weekend. But honestly, its going to be a close weekend.

scary movie 4 for me.... cause even if the movie drops off 50% it would still put it at 20 million and i dont expect

slient hill to break higher then 17 to 19 million

The Sentinel

The reason? Its combining 2 different target groups, Keifer Sutherland/24 for us young 'uns and Michael Douglas for the older generation.

Oh and the fact that they advertised the hell out of it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Oh and the fact that they advertised the hell out of it.[/quote]

True, but I must've seen at least twice as many commercials for Silent Hill.

Thats a tough choice, but I think I am going to go with Silent Hill and then The Sentinel. I am going to see both this weekend, been looking forward to them for a long ass time.

damn you scary movie 4! it's the washington capitals to my atlanta thrashers. sorry...hockey disappointment mixing with the disappointing end of my streak at 4 straight wins.

my pick this week is silent hill. the long awaited horror/thriller (or whatever genre it is) movie based on the ever popular series seems like a sure fire bet. then again, i thought the same thing about a disney animated family film opening easter weekend...

4-1 after 5 weeks.

I am going with American Dreamz. There are a ton of people who like American Idol. Also it doesn't look absolutely shitty. I think Silent Hill or Sentinel could also win.

[quote name='projecteightysix']i've won 2 or 3 times i'm sure.... oh well.[/QUOTE]

Youve won twice project, way to go.

As much as I would like to say SM4 or SH, I'm going with the Sentinel. You never can go wrong with Keifer Sutherland.

This is tough. You've got Eva Longoria in the Sentinel and Mandy Moore (and Chris Kattan, as her agent, I think) in American Dreamz. I would like to vote for Silent Hill, but I'm not sure. I certainly don't want to see Scary Movie 4 win it. Chris Elliot's funny, but other than that, who wants to see stupid shaqueera in any movie?

My vote is American Dreamz. (even though I hate American Idol)

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Woo hoo, hope I get the DVD!

Which one is it, by the way?[/QUOTE]

Hey now, no peeking! :D

Maybe I should have waited to vote when Tyga24 did...

I picked the Sentinel since 24 and Desperate Housewives is so popular and a lot of people of that show will want to watch the Sentinel. I'm watching Silent Hill this weekend so I'm assuming this won't help my pick, maybe I should watch it next week. :)

I'm going to have to say The Sentinel as well. I'd love for Silent Hill to do really well but I think the "name factor" of The Sentinel is going to pull more people in than American Dreamz and Silent Hill. This is a really tough one, though.

It's also possible that if this weekend is really slow that Ice Age 2 might be able to squeeze on by...man, what a hard week. I'm still behind The Sentinel, though.

Its true: Silent Hill might have a bit of trouble overcoming the big names in American Dreamz and The Sentinel. But still, it might just come out as the greatest game/movie of all time. Not that it has much to overcome in that category :D

Sentinel due to the 24 factor, this will walk away with an easy win

Silent Hill...another video game movie (we know how well those do)

American Dreamz....I heard a preview for this last night (I was in the other room) and thought it was a joke

Scary Movie 4...everyone who wanted to watch it already did (could make a strong run for 2nd place though)

Ice Age 2...I think this is a sure bet at 2nd place (gotta take the kids to something..again)

This is going to be a really tough week to pick but I'm going to go with Silent Hill, hoping those horror fans will turn out for the first weekend as they tend to do so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back