N64 Emulator for PSP - Work in Progress Turning Out Nicely

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Nintendo-64/cid/821

I've benn following this guys progress on the N64 emulator and happy to see how well it's turnign out. His main goal right now is to get Mario 64 running good (as well as most game titles), and to allow it to ru on 2.0+ firmware. So far it's looking good even with all the texture problems. It's comming along alot better than most emulators and I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the #1 homebrew app if all turns out for the good.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']interesting.... but still doesnt warrant me buying a psp.[/QUOTE]

agreed. The only title I can say that will warrant any PSP purchase is Loco Roco.

Meh, why try and play N64 games on the PSP when the PSP lacks so many buttons and the analog stick is so weak in comparison to the 64 controller.

Plus I'd rather play the classics on my Rev.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Meh, why try and play N64 games on the PSP when the PSP lacks so many buttons and the analog stick is so weak in comparison to the 64 controller.

Plus I'd rather play the classics on my Rev.[/QUOTE]

true, but it's not like you can take your Rev on a bus without making a commotion like this.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, how the hell would you play with the missing buttons? Looks cool though...[/QUOTE]

I imagine it would have to have totally customizable controls (so you could set each game). But the PSP only has one less button (10 vs. 9), and most N64 games didn't use every button.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Meh, why try and play N64 games on the PSP when the PSP lacks so many buttons and the analog stick is so weak in comparison to the 64 controller.

Plus I'd rather play the classics on my Rev.[/quote]

It worked for the DS.

[quote name='jkam']You could always buy a DS and play Mario 64. It plays fine with the d-pad in my opinion.[/quote]

Silence! People dont want to play Nintendo games on Nintendo systems, they want to buy competitor's systems just to emulate Nintendo games!

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']I Would not mind one bit mario party 3 portable.[/QUOTE]

So you want the worst in a series of party games to play singleplayer?

I'd expect this doesn't get much further than the "plays Mario 64" stage, and I'm being generous with that. The PSP just doesn't have the power to emulate the N64 hardware.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I imagine it would have to have totally customizable controls (so you could set each game). But the PSP only has one less button (10 vs. 9), and most N64 games didn't use every button.[/quote]

Well if that's the case... (you are wrong about the buttons. Including every "action" button on the psp d-pad: 4, face buttons: 4, shoulder buttons: 2, start and select: 2 you have 12 customizable buttons. N64: face buttons: 6 D-Pad: 4 start: 1, shoulder buttons: 2, Z button: 1. You have 14 customizable buttons) then I guess it's possible to emulate games sucessfully although I'm sure it would be a bit odd for games like Goldeneye or Zelda.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Well if that's the case... (you are wrong about the buttons. Including every "action" button on the psp d-pad: 4, face buttons: 4, shoulder buttons: 2, start and select: 2 you have 12 customizable buttons. N64: face buttons: 6 D-Pad: 4 start: 1, shoulder buttons: 2, Z button: 1. You have 14 customizable buttons) then I guess it's possible to emulate games sucessfully although I'm sure it would be a bit odd for games like Goldeneye or Zelda.[/quote]

Plus, you need 4 buttons just to control the camera for all of these games... I guess they could map the camera to the nub but that would be awkward to play...

the xbox N64 emu had a pretty low compatibility rate and many games that ran had problems, so this probably won't fare too well.

[quote name='Apossum']the xbox N64 emu had a pretty low compatibility rate and many games that ran had problems, so this probably won't fare too well.[/QUOTE]

Exaclty. The Xbox is the only system capable of running SNES at full speed.

There is one pc nintendo 64 emulator that runs very fast. It was called Corn. Back in the days it played mario like a champ on a p1 200mhz. Admitedly the compatibility was low but it played mario 64 perfectly. Thus there is a slight chance of a usable n64 emulator that would play simple games like mario.

I don't understand why not many seem excited about this. I am because whether I play n64 games or not, it really shows great possibilities of the psp. I'm personally excited to take some of my n64 games on the go. It'll be great just having the option to.

[quote name='Genocidal']I think it's the technological impossibility of the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

in reality and the world of programming, something as powerful as the PSP has at least some way to run a perfect N64 emulator... it's just a matter of figuring out how to code it.

[quote name='gizmogc']Exaclty. The Xbox is the only system capable of running SNES at full speed.[/QUOTE]
The Gamecube snes emulator is very good.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']in reality and the world of programming, something as powerful as the PSP has at least some way to run a perfect N64 emulator... it's just a matter of figuring out how to code it.[/quote]

http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/details/n64.htm

How is the PSP, with its single 333MHz processor going to emulate that again? While I admit the homebrew scene isn't as strong on the Dreamcast anymore, I'd like to point out that the Dreamcast can't even emulate the SNES at full speed and it isn't that underpowered in comparison to the PSP.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']The Gamecube snes emulator is very good.[/QUOTE]

but a pain in the balls to run

[quote name='Genocidal']http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/details/n64.htm

How is the PSP, with its single 333MHz processor going to emulate that again? While I admit the homebrew scene isn't as strong on the Dreamcast anymore, I'd like to point out that the Dreamcast can't even emulate the SNES at full speed and it isn't that underpowered in comparison to the PSP.[/QUOTE]
At the same time the Dreamcast can run some PSOne emulation very well. The hardware spec is important, but the difficulty of coding is more important. (for xbox most of the homebrews are modified PC version)

Yep, some games can be emulated well, and I'm not doubting that this emu will be able to play a few games using some nifty hacks. Perfect emulation though? It'll never happen.

[quote name='Genocidal']Yep, some games can be emulated well, and I'm not doubting that this emu will be able to play a few games using some nifty hacks. Perfect emulation though? It'll never happen.[/QUOTE]

:lol: true that there's no such thing as perfect in a human world, but I can see a N64 emulator running good on any type of hardware. even a abacus can run the damn n64 >_

bread's done
Back