Guild Wars: Factions Collectors Edition $69.99 shipped @ amazon.

Is it just me, or are Collector's Editions a bad trend? I mean, charging a lot more money for some novelty items that aren't worth that price?

I saw this at Best Buy yesterday, for the same price I believe. They don't seem to have it online.

swish- I totally agree w/ you regarding collector's editions. They would have to have some pretty compelling stuff to be worthwhile.

As long as the actual gameplay is available and isn't crippled for a 'regular' price, I don't mind so much. There will always be someone who is will to pay 20 bucks more for a gold aura or whatever, and those who aren't.
I prefer to this jacking up prices across the board.
This one at least does seem to have some stuff 'of value'--mouse pad, calendar, CD OST.

GameStop and a lot of other places charge tax and shipping though. On a heavy item above $50, saving tax and shipping equals a nice lunch.

Meh.. it will drop .. the original Guild Wars Collectors edition dropped to $39.99 shipped on amazon not long after release.

[quote name='FlipSide']Meh.. it will drop .. the original Guild Wars Collectors edition dropped to $39.99 shipped on amazon not long after release.[/QUOTE]

really? i dont actually recall that. Oh well, that would be sweet tho!

The game's North American collector's edition features a CD of the game's soundtrack, a double-sided poster, an art book, a desk calendar, a mouse pad, a sticker set, and a special in-game emote for the game's new classes, the assassin and the ritualist.

I could see that as being worth the extra $20, espically if the art book was nice.

I hate to threadjack but im wondering about this game. I didnt play the first one and i know that you dont HAVE to have the first one to play this, should i opt for this one or start at Guild Wars. if its this one im going to jump on this edition.

You don't need to have played the first to enjoy the second in anyway. When put side by side, I'd say the first game was better overall, but the story was much more organzied in Factions. If you decide to go for Factions, you'll get a couple of game modes Prophecies players don't, and you'll get to level 20 so much faster than in Prophecies. My main dislike about Factions was the amazing AI upgrade they did. Now, normally this would be a good thing, but when you're able to beat the entire game (knowing that its a MMO style game) using only the computer controlled henchmen and never having to team up with real players, it lacks the cooperative feel of the first game. Also, as I said you reach level 20 (max level) within the first couple hours of the game in Factions and it feels quite rushed. Whereas in Prophecies, its paced so much better. It feels like the devs got lazy in Factions and said screw balancing, lets make every mission a level 20 mission.

Overall, for starting new, I'd say get the original (Prophecies) since its paced better and feels like a complete game, unlike Factions, which feels more like an expansion.

I'm interested, cuz they are selling on fleabay for around 90 to 100 each! That's some solid profit on no work. Doh. I shouldn't of said anything... it might sell out now. ;-)

Is this one really a collector's edition meaning really limited in copies or will you be able to find it a few months later for cheap?

[quote name='zen313']I'm interested, cuz they are selling on fleabay for around 90 to 100 each! That's some solid profit on no work. Doh. I shouldn't of said anything... it might sell out now. ;-)[/QUOTE]

Is this really that hard to find...? I've seen it at a few EB's recently.

[quote name='crystalklear64']You don't need to have played the first to enjoy the second in anyway. When put side by side, I'd say the first game was better overall, but the story was much more organzied in Factions. If you decide to go for Factions, you'll get a couple of game modes Prophecies players don't, and you'll get to level 20 so much faster than in Prophecies. My main dislike about Factions was the amazing AI upgrade they did. Now, normally this would be a good thing, but when you're able to beat the entire game (knowing that its a MMO style game) using only the computer controlled henchmen and never having to team up with real players, it lacks the cooperative feel of the first game. Also, as I said you reach level 20 (max level) within the first couple hours of the game in Factions and it feels quite rushed. Whereas in Prophecies, its paced so much better. It feels like the devs got lazy in Factions and said screw balancing, lets make every mission a level 20 mission.

Overall, for starting new, I'd say get the original (Prophecies) since its paced better and feels like a complete game, unlike Factions, which feels more like an expansion.[/QUOTE]

Im assuming the level cap is 20? and did they raise it in Factions?

bread's done
Back