Hori screen protector residue?

rupan_sansei

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Many have said the Hori screen protector doesn't leave residue behind, but one of the comments on play-asia.com for the ds lite version of the screen protector says it left quite a bit of residue.

Has anyone here used Hori's ds lite version of the screen protector?

I was under the impression that they would be the same (old DS vs. Lite)... anyway, I've been using the Hori screen protector for a while now and love it. It's far and away the best one I've ever used.

There have been reports of Hori's DS Lite screen protectors leaving residue behind. Not sure why though, might just be a defective batch. None of the Hori (regular) DS screen protectors leave residue, so you should be safe with those if you are afraid of encountering this problem with the Lite protectors.

It's because Hori's DSL's screen protectors use the... um... sticky stuff like all the other crappy ones. The ones Hori made for the normal DS did not use anything sticky and just held on place like those plastic... window sticker-like thingys.

(Damn, I need work on my wordizing.:whistle2:k)

[quote name='Vinny']It's because Hori's DSL's screen protectors use the... um... sticky stuff like all the other crappy ones. The ones Hori made for the normal DS did not use anything sticky and just held on place like those plastic... window sticker-like thingys.

(Damn, I need work on my wordizing.:whistle2:k)[/QUOTE]

If this is true (can anyone else confirm that it is), do you think it would be better to stick with the old DS screen protectors and merely trim the edges a bit with scissors, so that they'd fit the edges of a Lite? Has anyone tried this?

I just put a set of the original DS Hori's on my Lite. The touch screen one covers 95% of the screen (Can barely see the edges) and my God it just looks absolutely beautiful...Went on in seconds and looks frickin sweet. :)

No residue on the old ones...I used one on my old DS for almost a year, the screen in spanking new looking.

[quote name='willardhaven']From what I've read here I'd agree that going with the original "window sticker"-style protectors is the way to go.[/quote]
This is why I searched out for a set of the old Hori's, they've become a bit harder to track down more recently due to the release of the "DSLite" Hori's. I'd still recommend the older ones as I didn't want to take a chance with "Residue".

Once again, NO residue on the original DS Hori's.

[quote name='Aleryn']Wonder if Goo-Gone would be safe to use on a screen like that...
*clueless[/quote]

If I did, I'd only use barely a fingertip's size drop of it, I'd be afraid it'd eat through my touch screen. I haven't come across residue on the screen as I've avoided any protectors that have the word "Residue" mentioned with them but you could maybe try some scotch tape and dab it to see if that peels it up?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']If this is true (can anyone else confirm that it is), do you think it would be better to stick with the old DS screen protectors and merely trim the edges a bit with scissors, so that they'd fit the edges of a Lite? Has anyone tried this?[/QUOTE]

The screens are the same size and someone told me that they used the normal Hori DS screen protectors on a DSL without any trouble.

[quote name='Aleryn']Wonder if Goo-Gone would be safe to use on a screen like that...
*clueless[/QUOTE]

Yes, but DO NOT put it on the screen directly. It doesn't damage the screen, it's just that it might seep through to the inside (though unlikely). Put some on a paper towel, dab the sticky areas, and wipe off. You'll need to do it a few times as you're only using a fraction of the Goo Gone (most of it is lost in the paper towel).

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Where can you find the old style btw?[/quote]

I picked up my recent pack from a seller on Amazon. Normally back when EBGames used to have them behind the register in the glass...You may be able to luck out and still find them but YMMV.

Can SOMEONE with the Hori DS LITE protectors confirm residue? Some people on other forums complaining about "goo" and "residue" probably don't know what the fuck they're doing or what they're talking about

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Can SOMEONE with the Hori DS LITE protectors confirm residue? Some people on other forums complaining about "goo" and "residue" probably don't know what the fuck they're doing or what they're talking about[/QUOTE]
There have been a number of people who have recently gotten DS Lite protectors that work just fine. Most of the complaints came when the Lite was first released. Really, how hard is it to believe that in the rush to get the screen protectors out by the Lite's release date, Hori might have accidently produced a defective batch of screen protectors? Besides, it's rather tough for someone to leave residue if they "don't know what they're doing."

[quote name='Stuka']I peeled back the one I've had on for about a month and there was no residue on the screen.[/QUOTE]

were you using a ds lite protector?

[quote name='Ecofreak']I have the DS Lite Hori Screen protectors and I have had no problems.[/QUOTE]

have you tried taking them off?

There was a guy on the Nintendo.com board who complained about residue with his Hori Lite protectors. Some people said he instead applied the clear sticker things that the real protector was sandwiched between.

the DS screen protectors DO NOT fit the DS Lite perfectly. FOr the touch screen, there is a 1.5 mm gap on all sides if you center it perfectly. For the top screen you would have to trim it half a cm in height for it to be the correct size.

I found this out the hard way after i bought 3 DS protectors from Decalgirl.com. Ended up having to sell 2 of them to a CAG member, and ordered the DS Lite versions.

It is perfectly usable for the DS Lite, but best to go with the Hori DS Lite if you want exact fitment. As far as residue, ill find out as soon as i receive the DSL ones at the end of the week.

Similar story: I ordered DS screen protectors from Decal girl last night and then immediately cancelled the order a few minutes later when I realized there were DSLite protectors.

Is there any way to tell if there is any kind of glue being used? When I applied them the screen protectors look crystal clear so I couldn't tell if there was any glue or not.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Can SOMEONE with the Hori DS LITE protectors confirm residue? Some people on other forums complaining about "goo" and "residue" probably don't know what the fuck they're doing or what they're talking about[/quote]
i can confirm NO residue with the Hori DS Lite screen protectors, which i just lifted up a second ago. that would be these exact protectors: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b7-49-en-70-196x.html purchased from play-asia.

the only problem i have with any DS Lite screen protector is the stress they put on the upper screen.

[quote name='dyreschlock']i can confirm NO residue with the Hori DS Lite screen protectors, which i just lifted up a second ago. that would be these exact protectors: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b7-49-en-70-196x.html purchased from play-asia.

the only problem i have with any DS Lite screen protector is the stress they put on the upper screen.[/quote]

Ok, awesome. I just ordered those so hopefully they will work good.

[quote name='dyreschlock']the only problem i have with any DS Lite screen protector is the stress they put on the upper screen.[/QUOTE]

How do they put stress on the upper screen?

Anyone get these Hori ones from DecalGirl?

hori-dslfilter-500.jpg

i wanna also confirm that the ds lite hori screen protectors DO NOT leave residue

why do i know? because i misplaced it and removed it and reattached it :)

yes, both screen protectors

I just ordered the Hori protectors from decalgirl.com, it came out to 8.30 shipped, Used the GIMME10 coupon code to get 10% off.

I don't know about long term, but when I applied my Hori DS Lite screen protector (this'n) to the touch screen, I messed up and didn't center it. It took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to lift it back up (scotch tape and masking tape didn't work, had to use mailing tape). When I peeled it up, I can confirm no residue, no left-behind goo, no nothing. The screen looked absolutely clean and beautiful. Also, in my haste, I accidentally touched the underside of the touch screen protector and got a big print on it. It took me another 15 minutes to figure out how to clean that up (using microfiber and the cloth that came with the protectors didn't do jack but add more lint to the underside of the protector, but eventually i rinsed the protector, wiped it with a microfiber cloth and then used some leftover masking tape to pull off any lint which had been attracted by the non-sticky but static surface). Anyway, the moral of the story is: make sure the damn thing is centered before you stick it down on the screen.

[quote name='NeoFrank1'] Anyway, the moral of the story is: make sure the damn thing is centered before you stick it down on the screen.[/quote]

Agreed. If you do intend on picking up the Hori DS LITE Screen Protectors, make sure you center the bottom screen protector since it's not the same size as the top one.

I need to order these. Thanks to all the people who confirmed that the screen protectors didn't leave residue. I thought it was odd when I heard the reports.

Right now I have my old Hori DS protectors on the bottom screen of my Lite. There are slight gaps on each side that another poster mentioned. Doesn't bother me too much since the DS games don't go that far to the edges.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']So they released US versions of the Lite protector?[/quote]

The one I bought at Fry's was in english and a couple of other languages...but english was the first.

[quote name='jmdeng']The one I bought at Fry's was in english and a couple of other languages...but english was the first.[/quote]Any problems with them? Residue?

Damnit they just had to make a US version huh...well, at least with the case and protectors, the shipping from Play-asia was very reasonable and the protectors probably no more than they would ever be stateside, so I'm fine...but still...

:(

just purchased a hori dsl set from ebay. not sure if this is gonna be the ones that leave residue, but we'll see.

[quote name='ShimSham']Any problems with them? Residue?[/quote]

I have yet to put them on as I was worried about what I read with the potential residue. However, given the latest influx of folks who have given the thumbs up to the DS Lite Hori screen protectors, I may do it sooner than later (In no real rush since the only games i have right now aren't touch screen intensive...sorry)

bread's done
Back