Need help with football plays

Squirms

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
OK, so I bought NFL 2K5 yesterday, and so far I am loving the game. Problem is, I haven't played a football game in years, and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the play choices. I don't know the difference between a nickel and a dime defense, or the difference between any of the offensive plays either. Does anyone know a good website that can at least teach me the basics so I don't constantly get my ass handed to me on Live? I would truly appreciate it.

I think your best bet would to be A. play alot of single player play to get used to it. and B. study the diagrams of the play before you choose them, that will give you a good heads up of whats going on.

[quote name='daphatty']Moved to the right forum.[/quote]

Wouldn't the right forum be the Xbox one?

[quote name='daphatty']No. This is a multiplatform game so no.[/quote]

He's specifically addressing the Xbox version, however.

It was originally was in the Off-Topic forum. I put it there because it really doesn't deal with gaming, but more on football, and me wanting to find out where I can learn about the different lines and such.

The play that always seems to work for me when I'm looking at a third and long is a half back screen. Instead of throwing it to the half back, I'll throw it right up the middle to the tight end. Works really good if you don't use it too much and is usually good for 20 yards.

On defense, I like to use a 4-3 defense most of the time. I usually play the run on 1st and 2nd down and play pass on 3rd down.

Wow. 8 posts, and a move, and NO ONE has answered the question he asked. Nice job guys...

The 4-3 defense is your standard run defense. Though it can be used for the pass as well, as you'll see in a minute, most teams use other formations for pass plays. The 4-3 is the most popular run defense, as it allows most of the offensive line to be covered, and gives your LB's or DB's a chance to "Blitz" or rush the QB if desired.

The 3-4 defense is actually VERY similar to a 4-3, but is used by coaches with better middle linebackers than linemen, OR coaches with a different philosophy on the game. Honestly, I'm not sure why else they use the 3-4, but some coaches have indicated it's a superior formation. Question is, did any of those coaches win a SuperBowl? ;) In any event, it's basically a run defense as well.

The Nickle formation is one of two "pass" defenses. You use the nickle typically when you think there a good chance the offense will pass. Most of the DB's are back to cover receivers, and only two LB's are left to watch the middle of the field, or try and stop a run. This exposes weaker defenses, leaving them vulerable to big runs on occasion. But I find that with good LB's... you can effectively stop the run despite the lack of help in the backfield. But generally use this if your THINK your opponent could heave a long one.

The Dime formation is the other main "pass" defense, and for when you basically KNOW your opponent is going deep. It leaves a SINGLE linebacker (LB) in the middle of the field, brings in nearly every corner and safety you have, and you get ready for the ball to fly. With this defense, you really have given up on stopping the run most of the time. Since your MLB is covering the middle of the field and any receiver that comes his way. But if he's going deep, you SHOULD have a CHANCE to stop him.

There are other defenses like the 4-4. Non-traditional D's that are heavy toward stopping the run if you KNOW that's what the other guy is doing, etc. But I stick with the basic 4 package, and have great success against the PC. How will that stick up against HUMAN compitition? Only time will tell.

Best advice I can offer is keep playing. The practice mode is great for letting you get used to the passing. The game is VERY quick, and takes a bit to get used to. But mix up your running plays and pass plays... too many passes will lead to interceptions... and you should get used to the speed of the game soon. Personally, I still sometimes find myself double pumping when trying to throw a hail mary late in a game... but that's just getting used to the passing system. We'll get there. ;)

I'm not the OP, but thanks merkman, that was an awesome explanation. Now I may actually have an idea of what the hell I'm doing in football games.

It's okay I know basics of football and lpayed it for about 6 or 7 years, but I still get my ass handed to me on Live usually mainly cuz the game has a steep learning curve and I haven't played Sega Sports footbal version isnce the DC days.

[quote name='Stargun007']I'm not the OP, but thanks merkman, that was an awesome explanation. Now I may actually have an idea of what the hell I'm doing in football games.[/quote]

lol, yea, me too *sigh* im more of a bball guy, but i may try this out

[quote name='Stargun007']I'm not the OP, but thanks merkman, that was an awesome explanation. Now I may actually have an idea of what the hell I'm doing in football games.[/quote]

I am the OP, and I tremendously thank you for your insights merkman. This should help me to at least look like I know what I'm doing out there.

Squirms, now that you now some D i suggest you tell us what team you use because if you have a good running back you should know whether to play him with agility or strength. I personally prefer strength, i dont know why but I find it more natural to lower the shoulder on a defender than juke him. or if you dont have a good RB but you do have a good QB (most teams have at least one or the other) You should learn whos your best receiver, when to rocket the ball or when to lob it, can your QB run well, etc.

also if you havent already do the tutorial it helps alot.

My advice would be to go through the tutorial mode (I think that's what it's called.) That will give you a good idea of most of the moves in the game. (But doesn't really explain plays or defensive sets.) Then there are two videos in the game, one on offense and one on defense. I haven't wathced them, but if you really need a primer they might be nice.

Wow merkman that was great! I was wondering the same thing the OP asked about. Glad to see a CAGer who actually understands and can explain all this stuff.

And as for the reply in the thread but not answering the question, Mods have been asked to "post" when we do something with threads. Didn't mean to hijack it.

Now back to the topic. :D

Well, here's my take on offense.

On first down you're open depending on how close you are to the end zone. If you're quite a distance, a lot of players will like to take a chance on a pass on this play. Personally I like running and going for my tight end. Usually you want to stick to I-Formation plays here. This is where your fullback is in front of your running back and provides blocking for you. It also usually keeps your tight end on the line blocking for you. Most times you'll run to the right side, where your tight end is.

On second down, you probably want to play conservatively. You want to try to get that first or get enough yards so you have a 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2 situation. So dump passes and runs are great for 2nd down. A good formation to use here is 3 wide receivers, one running back.

On third down if you're anything under 3 yards away from a first, chances are you'll run if you have a decent running back, and most of the time you'll make it. If you're 8 yards away, chances are you're going to want to throw it. A good choice is to send your fullback out or your tight end out, but be careful, because if they blitz you don't have as many blockers. People rarely cover the tight end or fullback like they should so they're always good to sneak in a pass to. If you need to pass you'll be going for your 4 WR sets and sometimes even 5 WRs. Just watch your QB because you lose a ton of blockers and if they choose to blitz from the corners you could be in trouble.

On fourth you can generally go for it on 4th and 1 and run it up the gut and get the first 90% of the time. Anything more than that and punting is the only way to go.

With offense you have to learn each team's strength. For example, when using the Ravens you have to use Jamal Lewis like the tank he is, and keep your passes nice and short and simple since Boller isn't exactly Peton Manning. On the other hand, when you DO play as the Colts and have Peyton Manning, chances are you're looking for big passes and quick scores.

The best way to play offense, in football or in a video game, is to play conservatively - short 3, 4 yard passes and running plays.

I don't know about the PS2 version but I have the XB 2k5, and they have a whole section dedicated to what all the plays and diagrams mean. I'm talking like hundreds of pages.

I just got back from class, but when I unpack I'll tell you exactly where they are.

EDIT: If you go under Extras, and Reference, you'll see a listing of what the 'jargon' and plays mean, if that helps.

bread's done
Back