What happened to Wendy's?

Fatesealer

CAGiversary!
Remember the steak sandwich for 99 cents? The 99 cent double stack? Biggie drink and Biggie Fries for under a buck too? Well, the steak sandwich came and went years ago (why won't they bring this back?), the double stakc is now $1.29, and the 'Biggie' branding for things has been dissolved in favor of the regular sizes of small, medium and large with the medium acting as Biggie and not 99 cents anymore.

I miss the old Wendys. Grabbing a double stack, a Biggie Fry and Biggie drink for 3 bucks. I think the 99 cent vaule menu as a whole just isn't the same as it used to be (save for chicken nuggets). Can Dave Thomas come back? :whistle2:(

I usually just get 2 jr. bacon cheeseburgers, fries, nuggets, and a drink. Only a little over $4 and it's filling.

Wendy's has the best bang for your buck on its dollar menu.

You can get a bacon cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, fries, a salad and a drink for 5 dollars.

[quote name='Stoneage']Double Stacks with cheese are on the dollar menu. I just had one this week.[/QUOTE]

the wendy's near me took that item off the menu completely.

While I don't like the fact that what was a Biggie and was 99 cents is now a "large" and is 1.29, I do like the fact that they actually have 'small, medium, large' now, instead of 'medium, Biggie, Great Biggie."
But yeah, the first time my total was 5.xx instead of 4.60, I was like, What? [3 nuggets, biggie fry, frosty, ice water.].

Check this out:
The last McD's I went to had a small fry--i guess the size that comes in the happy meal, in the little paper bag--for 99 cents. Medium was....1.00. And you get quite a bit more fries. I asked the cashier "What's the point?" She shrugged, but said that people, for some reason, actually bought smalls. If you're on *that* much of a diet, either don't get one at all, or buy the 1.00 Medium and split with someone.

Wendy's is the best, in regards to dollar menu. If I'm strapped for time, and cash, I'll often get a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, a medium french fry and a five piece chicken nugget for $3.

Some Wendy's dont even have the double stack. An example of this is every Wendy's in Tallahassee, FL (where FSU is). There is one on every street corner (like 12-15 total in town, no exaggeration). Not a single one had a double stack. How the heck am I supposed to drink a mass quanity of alcohol when I am not getting my usual fast food meal to absorb all that liquor. Thank goodness, I am back in Tampa and am able to have as many double stacks I want before I ruin my liver.

Yeah. No Wendy's in my area (all four) don't have the Doublestack... Hell; I've never even heard of it.

I haven't been to Wendys since I quit fast food. They were one of favorites though - back in the day...

[quote name='dtcarson']Check this out:
The last McD's I went to had a small fry--i guess the size that comes in the happy meal, in the little paper bag--for 99 cents. Medium was....1.00. And you get quite a bit more fries. I asked the cashier "What's the point?" She shrugged, but said that people, for some reason, actually bought smalls. If you're on *that* much of a diet, either don't get one at all, or buy the 1.00 Medium and split with someone.[/quote]
Heck, it's been that way since the introduction of the $1 menu. Employees at the McDonald's I worked at years ago were encouraged to ask anyone ordering a small fry if they'd like to get a $1 fry instead for a penny more. It makes good business sense.

It just depends on where you live. I've been to places that dont have the double stack on the dollar menu at all, and sometimes its 1.29 and sometimes its 99cents. Just depends on your Franchises locale.

I too am intrigued by this Double Stack you speak of... I don't think I've seen it at any Wendys I go to (then again I usually get a spicy chicken, 1 jr bacon CB, fries, nuggets and a drink

[quote name='Kaijufan']As long as they don't mess with the taste of the Frosty I'll be happy.[/quote]

In Columbus, Ohio (HQ for Wendy's) they're supposd to begin test-marketing a vanilla Frosty. I'm not sure when it will start, but it will be in addition to, not instead of, the chocolate one.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Heck, it's been that way since the introduction of the $1 menu. Employees at the McDonald's I worked at years ago were encouraged to ask anyone ordering a small fry if they'd like to get a $1 fry instead for a penny more. It makes good business sense.[/QUOTE]

They do the same thing with the Double and regular cheeseburgers. Regulars are $.95 while the doubles are on the dollar menu.

JBC FTW. I've also never heard of this Double Stack you all speak of, which surprises me since I live fairly close to where Wendy's started.

I think the prices went up when they ran out of Dave Thomas carcass to stuff in the kangaroo meat to make the burgers taste like cow.

Once that was all gone, they had to hire dirty mexicans to jump fences early in the morning and murder and steal cows from local farmers and drag their bloody carcasses back to wendy's on the hood of a 86' Chevette.

Mexicans cost money my friend.

[quote name='Xevious']I haven't been to Wendys since I quit fast food. They were one of favorites though - back in the day...[/QUOTE]

Good on you to quit fast food. Truth be told, however, Wendy's has decent options. If you don't live and die by the dollar menu, their Spinach Chicken Salad is fucking phenomenal; it's surprising that it's a fast food salad.

If you *do* live and die by the dollar menu, for $2 you can get a side salad and baked potato (with butter, but none of that other fattening shit) and still be under the calories and fat content of a single cheeseburger.

OTOH, I think I'd have a laugh looking at colonoscopy charts of those who swear by meats sold on the dollar menu. Eek!

Since none of these schmucks would tell us, let us turn to the Wendy's website:

Two patties equal a quarter-pound of our hot n juicy beef. Topped off with American cheese and made fresh. Big on taste—and it still fits in one hand. Available at select restaurants.

Apparently the deluxe has Thousand Island on it as well.

FWIW, if you've never had a Jr. BBQ, don't waste the $1. The BBQ sauce they use just doesn't work and it tastes awful.

Sorry- If I'd found the thread sooner, I'd have explained the double stack.

It's not really as 'nice' the description says, tho- just a burger with 2 patties instead of one. (We have them there. Hell, I think we may still have the Triple Stack, but I havne't been to a Wendy's in awhile.)

I've found that all dollar menus have crapped out recently, but Wendy's still has the best selection out of them.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I've found that all dollar menus have crapped out recently, but Wendy's still has the best selection out of them.[/QUOTE]

I disagree - fruit n yogurt parfait, motherfucker! (It's McDonald's, but the single best fast food item I've had in years).

the dollar menu scares me. with the price of meat going higher and higher how they hell can mcdonalds only charge 99 cents for those double cheese burgers. Then again maybe i dont want to know.

just like their breakfast menu they got now for a buck.

[quote name='slidecage']the dollar menu scares me. with the price of meat going higher and higher how they hell can mcdonalds only charge 99 cents for those double cheese burgers. Then again maybe i dont want to know.

just like their breakfast menu they got now for a buck.[/quote]

bulk and filler, I'm sure their chicken is heavily processed.

In the end a box of nuggets probably costs them 10 cents to make, maybe 15 cents to package.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']If you believe in re-incarnation, Dave Thomas is probably a really fat, happy four-year-old.[/quote]

Dave Thomas would have joined with Brahma.

And are you fucking kidding me? Steak sandwich? I lived off of doublestacks in college, they're gone now, but I'm feeling the shaft for not having some steak sammiches. Damn Wendy's.

People still have the dollar menu??

The Wendys here still have them, but they upped the price for a fair share of the menu items so now it's a pretty weak dollar menu.

I still get the double stacks for .99 cents and now they added a chicken sandwich to the dollar menu which is pretty good.

they advertise all these dollar menu items but over half the wendys claim they dont follow those rules and charge more I swear it started when dave thomas died.

The double stack here is 1.29. I haven't seen one sell it for .99 in almost a year. And most of the time, if its not on the menu, you have to ask for it. At least thats how it is here. Damn, if I had some more cash, I'd go get a chili and frosty right now

If you think that's bad buying lunch at work is nigh-expensive since everything is located in a mall and the rents are astronomical. Even a "filling" (ie: barely reaching satiety) lunch or dinner costs upwards of $8, and most of the standard combos at McDonald's are $7. It's insane.

Thank god for the Wendy's along the way, though. Two chicken nuggets, a fry, and a medium Coke without ice is a nice $4 meal that works. Granted, some of the Dollar Menu stuff has been bumped up to $1.29 but, eh, I'll give them that slack. Then again I've been paying the $1.29 on some of the same items for around the past five years so it's sort of...old hat, maybe?

Not to change the topic from Wendy's, but am I the only one that used to remember that Taco Bell used to be dirt fucking cheap? I don't even bother with dollar menus at malls, they're all BS. In Norfolk, theres the "upperclass" (too damn high for anyone is more like it) mall called MacArthur Mall (named after the general). They have a Burger King there and they're high as a mother fucker. They don't even have the regular value menu

You would think reading this thread would gross me out since I don't eat fast food anymore...on the contrary. I'm craving burgers like you wouldn't believe because of all these posts.

I like Wendy's

but I hate the stupid soquid/fpoon ad

Stupid white people at their best

I'D SAY THE SAME IF THEY WERE ASIAN OR HISPANIC OR AFRICAN AMERICAN

I'm just saying, it's like the commercial tried to get a real life version of Napoleon Dynamite, Peter Griffin

All it needed was for the two guys to say "Gosh, that's freakin sweet" in unison, they'd cover Peter and Napoleon in ONE line.

And as far as I know, Napoleon and Peter aren't exactly the type of people I'd trust.

bread's done
Back