Loco Roco is in deep trouble

thorbahn3

Staff member
Feedback
5 (100%)
loco%20roco.jpg

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3331&Itemid=2

And people thought the pokemon Jynx's appearence was racist. Hell, that's nothing compared to this.

It does look Sambo-esque, and why the watermelon there? Without the watermelon, it's a little more ambivalent, but that's nailing quite a number of the stereotypes (well, maybe from 1910) in one image:

- Nappy hair
- Big lips
- Savage appearance
- Slice of watermelon

Has this game been released Stateside? If not, I expect content changes before release. If that creature is dancing and eating fried chicken I expect a LOT more complaints headed Sony's way than just about their pricing and PQ.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Anything thats black and has big lips is rasict symbology?[/quote]
Same thing I was thinking. It's retarded.

I'm just offended that it comes to the US region last. Europe is supposed to always get the shit end of the stick when it comes to release dates, not us.

I'm writing my congresscritter.

Yep, that animated cartoon creature looks just like your average black man. Just another example of people searching for things to be offended by.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']Being Chinese, I am actually offended by the obesity of the yellow blob (planet?)[/QUOTE]

"The Big Yellow Ones The SUN!"

In Japan, the "Sambo" depiction of people of African ancestry is still used in newspaper cartoons, manga, video games, and anime. In the popular manga and anime Dragonball Z, the character known as Mr. Popo is an overweight black genie with absurdly pouty red lips. The popular video game/anime series Pokémon has a character named Jynx with similar features.

Not saying that confirms anything, but an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

I've played the demo, both Japan and US versions, repeatedly and never made that connection.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that Japanese artsit can be tone deaf about other culture's obsessions. They also love to adorn magic using characters with symmetrical six-pointed stars that many would immediately associate with Judaism. It's only in last few centuries that the symbol took on that significance throughout the Westermn world, much as Hannukah was a minor holiday until the growing prominence of Xmas gift giving pressured Jewish parents to compensate.

One example is the orignal version of the Sega game sold in the US as Decap-Attack. In Japan it was called Magical Hat. It had different graphics but an obvious common code base. The player charcter is depicted on the box art with a big six-pointed star on his shirt. My first thought when I saw it for the first time wa, "Wow, when else has there ever been an identifiably Jewish character in a Japanese game?"

Locoroco-
loco%20roco.jpg

Coincidence? I think not.

200px-Picaninny_Freeze.jpg

From Wikipedia:
n the U.S., by the 1950s, the NAACP had begun calling attention to such demeaning portrayals of African Americans and mounted a campaign to put an end to blackface performances and depictions. For decades, darky images had been ubiquitous, particularly in the branding of everyday products and commodities such as Picaninny Freeze ice cream

It's blatant resemblance to a legitimate (and banned) blackface advertisment is unavoidable.

This game looks real cool, but don't expect it to be released in the same state in the US.

for those that dont understand why this is a problem i suggest watching Bamboozled.

and that Florian Eckhardt must not be familar with the issue. This is not the first time a similar image is being used by a different culture (look up on Mexican cartoon character Memín Pingüín or Darkie/Darlie Toothpaste)

If this is getting a US release the image will get censor. We have lesser things censored already.

Sure, it's racist. But it's Japan where there is almost complete cultural uniformity and the concept of racism against blacks isn't a concern. Hell, the more pressing issue of racism against Koreans is barely noted in Japanese culture. I think the yellow blob's expression is pretty hillarious though.

wow...these people who point out these things should go listen to conversations of students in schools...this is nothing compared to some of the racist comments people say at my school, hah

I'm offended by people who will seize on anything and declare racism.

Slavery still exists in this world. There is a genocide taking place TODAY against black people in Sudan. And this is where you chose to spend your time and effort? This is a petty waste of time.

You want to do something? Tell your politicians to get serious about Sudan. Those people are still being murdered and they're still starving. The UN had to cut aid because no one but the United States has actually paid what they've pleged to. People are going to die because of that. If there were half the uproar over Darfur that there is over the petty, perceived slight of the day, we would be saving those people right now.

By the way, those Europeans like to sit on their high horse, but I don't see them putting their money where their mouth is.

I know people want to say this is PC crap, but (and I'm not black) you can't do stuff like that. You just can't. It's not really about being PC, it's about being an understanding human. Why do you think you've never seen Song of the South on Disney DVD? Even if it's not overtly racist (and it may be, it's been at least 20 years since I've seen it) it's bound to offend some people, and you just can't do that.

Who fucking cares? Can anybody honestly say that a black person's going to play the game and say "hey, that looks like me?" People just look for shit to be offended by.

the thing is this is really simple for sony to cenor this . Even if people here doesnt care, someone will. The last thing we need is for Loco Roco to be seen as a racist game and for video games to be seen as something negative.

[quote name='epobirs']It shouldn't come as a surprise that Japanese artsit can be tone deaf about other culture's obsessions. They also love to adorn magic using characters with symmetrical six-pointed stars that many would immediately associate with Judaism. It's only in last few centuries that the symbol took on that significance throughout the Westermn world, much as Hannukah was a minor holiday until the growing prominence of Xmas gift giving pressured Jewish parents to compensate.[/quote]

That's nothing in comparison to the big ass crosses that you pummel your enemies with in Castlevania games (ironic if you think about it...)

Hitman's last level is a shootout in a church and was also going to have a "Rosary Bead" garrote available on completion of the game - they took it out but you can still tell by the missing outline of the beads on the wall of his toolshed. They also had to remove a level about killing a cult leader because the cult complained (too bad - it's a good level!).

Tenchu:WOH has your ninja invading a temple and killing Buddhist monks in one level.

And of course, there's the upcoming "Left Behind" game which puts "Bille Graham's Bible Busters" to shame by subjecting all of the game's NPCs to a simple choice - convert or die.

We seriously have better things to do than point out any form of non-destructive, questionably blatant/unintentional racism.

why am I not surprised that the blogger is from Santa Cruz?

someone should give him pictures of Mario and Luigi for his next whine and dine essay.

[quote name='furyk']Sure, it's racist. But it's Japan where there is almost complete cultural uniformity and the concept of racism against blacks isn't a concern. Hell, the more pressing issue of racism against Koreans is barely noted in Japanese culture. I think the yellow blob's expression is pretty hillarious though.[/QUOTE]

Oh, the rascism against the Koreans is noted in Japanese culture, hell it's a big part of Japanese culture. The Japanese loved the whole SARS epidemic because it gave them a legitimate excuse to say, "look at those dirty Chinese and Koreans, this would never happen in wonderful Japan."

[quote name='jer7583']Locoroco-
loco%20roco.jpg

Coincidence? I think not.

200px-Picaninny_Freeze.jpg

From Wikipedia:
n the U.S., by the 1950s, the NAACP had begun calling attention to such demeaning portrayals of African Americans and mounted a campaign to put an end to blackface performances and depictions. For decades, darky images had been ubiquitous, particularly in the branding of everyday products and commodities such as Picaninny Freeze ice cream

It's blatant resemblance to a legitimate (and banned) blackface advertisment is unavoidable.

This game looks real cool, but don't expect it to be released in the same state in the US.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm somewhat surprised that people would defend this as coincidence. I'm not surprised that people seem to not be concerned by this; despite most people's claims of anti-racism, most genuinely are. The indifference shown to this is proof positive enough of that.

Dafoomie brings up a fantastic point, but I used to heckle the old man who would protest in front of Planned Parenthood every day when I rode my bike to school. "Go downtown," I told him, "and help out the people who are alive and hurting." You won't be able to convince many to take up actual effort in their lives if they are contented with the degree and extent of their efforts.

Though, more back on point, wasn't MMA fighter Kevin Randleman given the nickname "Donkey Kong" when he was in Japan? Japan is a notoriously xenophobic country; few save the biggest idiots would try to argue that point. If you think that somehow a country can be xenophobic to that degree and not employ racist charicatures, then I've got a brand new GBA game, fresh from Hong Kong, that I'd like to sell you on eBay. Shit just ain't real.

Then again, perhaps this is just evidence of the level of comfort people have with blatant racist images, as long as its nonwhites. Just like Chief Wahoo. It's cool, we're honoring other peoples. :roll:

First, I'm 99% sure that watermelon is photoshoped into that pic. I've never seen any shot of the game that had anything like that in it.

Second, I was looking at my wallpaper I had up for this game just the other day and as I looked at the enemies I thought that someone would start bitching about that sooner or later. I can see it, yes, but I doubt it was intentional. They are black floating blobs, they don't look like people period.

Finally, I had to comment on this:

[quote name='Redeema']Even if it's not overtly racist (and it may be, it's been at least 20 years since I've seen it) it's bound to offend some people, and you just can't do that.[/QUOTE]

Can't do what? Offend people? I see things I find offensive in movies/songs/tv shows all the time, but no one gives a rats ass. You can't offend CERTAIN GROUPS OF PEOPLE would be more accurate.

Then again, when I see something I find offensive I don't pitch a fit and start a silly news campain, I just change the channel. *shrug*

first off in the Japanese culture they do not have a soup pot of people and there various diffrences.

For the love of goss the creature is no diffrent then the Nats you encounter in Zelda and in Kirby crystal Shards.

Again in the jungle you will find and see all kinds of crazy creatures like this.
Take for example "Porky In Wakko land" where Porky went to
"This is as dark as you get Africa" in truth Africa houses such creatures as well
as Southern America. They have Spiders, and Flowers that can devour you along with Panthers, primates, and various of other frigged up hypo natures creatures that will amaze you.

This game is as clean as Viewtiful Joe with Mr. Whitey and Mr. Blackey. Dumb Dumb Ditaly Dumbone this blogger is for not knowing anything about Japanses culture. In fact in Japan they still use the Naszi Mark as Good Luck along with various others meanings.

Showed it to my girlfriend, she didn't pick up on the racism either, until I told her specfically what it was, and then she saw it.

Most people would never have noticed it but now someone is going to "educate" them on this matter where there really dosen't need to be "educating".

um it does matter if the japanese think it is racist. I dont even care if you dont think this is racist. What matter is this will be consider racist in the US. (look up my example of Memín Pingüín or Darkie/Darlie Toothpaste) We want sony to bring this game over, and this kind of thing wont help. As for people mention other ways they get offended, remember sony will want this game to be E+10, and having to recall this would be very bad (just ask take two)

A few things to clear up
1. Korea wasnt hit by SAR
2. yes you can get real gba games in hong kong. Dont generalize because of ebay.

[quote name='Z-Saber']We seriously have better things to do than point out any form of non-destructive, questionably blatant/unintentional racism.[/QUOTE]

Minstrels, blackface etc, (that this image depicts) was very distructive to equality in the states. And although, most of us don't know the history behind this imaginery it is something that can be very upsetting. I don't believe the original designers ment any harm with this look, as this type of racism was pretty isolated to the states. So its a matter of perspective. To me it's just an image, even though I know the history behind it. However, I can really understand if people get offended, especially since some of these themes ran until the 70's or 80's.

Well the mexican and chinese probably werent meant to make something offensive, but that doesnt prevent people from complaining.

The thing people need to know is that people in Japan don't know any better. They see a blackface drawing and see it as just that, a drawing. They become inspired and use the idea not knowing anyone would be offended. The real question is why nobody at SCEA made the comparision and asked for at least a change in body color. If you made them blue instead of black nobody in America would've noticed and wouldn't take long to do. But now they have to deny it.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']first off in the Japanese culture they do not have a soup pot of people and there various diffrences.

For the love of goss the creature is no diffrent then the Nats you encounter in Zelda and in Kirby crystal Shards.

Again in the jungle you will find and see all kinds of crazy creatures like this.
Take for example "Porky In Wakko land" where Porky went to
"This is as dark as you get Africa" in truth Africa houses such creatures as well
as Southern America. They have Spiders, and Flowers that can devour you along with Panthers, primates, and various of other frigged up hypo natures creatures that will amaze you.

This game is as clean as Viewtiful Joe with Mr. Whitey and Mr. Blackey. Dumb Dumb Ditaly Dumbone this blogger is for not knowing anything about Japanses culture. In fact in Japan they still use the Naszi Mark as Good Luck along with various others meanings.[/quote]

Hate to break it to you but the swastika is as old as Hinduism. The reason its prevalent in Japan is because Buddhism was founded by a Hindu preist. It wasn't until WWII when the symbol was flipped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastica

The only thing worse than being politically correct is whining about other people being politically correct :D. I see much more of the latter, by the way, than I EVER see if the former. In fact, one might say the most politically incorrect thing in America right now (and for like the last 15 years) is to be politcally correct - everyone jumps all over you for it and puts you down. Thus, by definition, it is not "politically correct", as it offends all the people who like to pretend nothing is ever wrong with anything :D.

Have to admit those comparison images are pretty damning. HOWEVER, I'd have to see how this looks in game, if it is even really in the game, before I decided anything.

having tolerance (as in not being PC) is one thing.

having a fucking pickanny in a game is totally another.

Japanese are racist - sorry to break it to you otaku fanboys - they stare at you and are fascinated by your presence in their country - they smile and stuff but you're still a scary gaijin.

it's one thing to stereotype a person and use it as satire - it's another thing to just blatantly associate a thing (pickinny) to imply a whole range of human attributes.

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/picaninny/

[quote name='Theenternal']Minstrels, blackface etc, (that this image depicts) was very distructive to equality in the states. And although, most of us don't know the history behind this imaginery it is something that can be very upsetting. I don't believe the original designers ment any harm with this look, as this type of racism was pretty isolated to the states. So its a matter of perspective. To me it's just an image, even though I know the history behind it. However, I can really understand if people get offended, especially since some of these themes ran until the 70's or 80's.[/quote]
Pssh, I took a black world studies and fully understand the imagery. I just think pointing something out that looks marginally similar and is knowingly unrelated is retarded.

bread's done
Back