Incompatible Games with PS2 Slim?

Depends on which slim you have. The SCPH-70011/70012/70001 models have the same compatability as all the previous "fat" PS2 models did. But the SCPH-75001 does indeed have a list of about a dozen games that no longer worked on that specific model. Maybe if I dig around Sony's site I can find it again.

Well, I did some searching, and here's a more complete list, courtesy of Wikipedia:

These games are incompatible with all models of PlayStation 2.
Arcade Party Pak
Arcade's Greatest Hits/Atari 2
Fighter Maker
Final Fantasy Anthology
Judge Dredd
Monkey Hero
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Poy Poy 2
Tomba
Wing Commander III

SCPH-75001

These games are incompatible with this specific "slim" model manufactured since 2005.
102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue
Akuji: The Heartless
Barbie: Race and Ride
Broken Helix
Bubsy 3D
Driver
Gundam Battle Assault
The Hive
Hooters: Road Trip
In Cold Blood
Jampack Vol. 2
Land Before Time: Great Valley Racing Adventure
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
NFL Xtreme
NHL 2000
NHL 2001
NHL Blades of Steel® 2000
NHL Rock the Rink
Nuclear Strike
One
PO'ed
Powerboat Racing (VR Sports)
Rascal
Rush Down
Sentient
Speed Punks
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Syphon Filter 2
Syphon Filter 3
UFC: Ultimate Fighting Championship
Worms

I can also say, from experience, that the PS2 has trouble playing the first Grandia properly.

Lunar 2? Not work? My mind cannot handle such cruel lies.

So those are just PS1 games... Well, besides FFXI. Doesn't RE Online need the HDD?

I don't remember having problems with Final Fantasy Anthology or MK Trilogy on my PS2. Good thing I decided to keep my PSOne with LCD screen that I scored for $25, no?

The fuck is "Hooters Road Trip"? On second thought, don't answer that. That's like "Wal-Mart: The RPG."

[quote name='Kayden']Lunar 2? Not work? My mind cannot handle such cruel lies.

So those are just PS1 games... Well, besides FFXI. Doesn't RE Online need the HDD?[/quote]

No but it helps. It doesn't matter, though, since the game completely sucks.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't remember having problems with Final Fantasy Anthology or MK Trilogy on my PS2. Good thing I decided to keep my PSOne with LCD screen that I scored for $25, no?[/QUOTE]

The only "problem" with FFA is that the save screen for one of the games has some text corruption. As long as you know how to save your game, it isn't a show-stopper at all.

[quote name='Kayden']So those are just PS1 games...[/QUOTE]

No, bunch of PS2 games listed on the link I provided.

[quote name='Nogib']The only "problem" with FFA is that the save screen for one of the games has some text corruption. As long as you know how to save your game, it isn't a show-stopper at all.

No, bunch of PS2 games listed on the link I provided.[/quote]

Oh noes! Big Mutha Truckas! What will I do without it!?

I followed the link to the Sony site and found this is worse than I first thought. I didn't realize until now that some PS2 games don't work on the PS2. I just bought 4 games on that list (Big Mutha Truckers 2 $5.96, ESPN NBA 2K5 $3.96, ESPN MLB 2K5 $3.96, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3 $8.96), but I haven't opened them yet.

Has anyone found a thread or web site where people have actually tried running these games on the slim SPCH-75001 consoles to find out exactly what the problems are?

For instance, are they just minor graphical glitches, not being able to save, freezing at a certain spot that prevents finishing the game, or will it not even boot up? Perhaps I should just return them all, but I had heard the ESPN sports games were good, and for $3.96 I'd rather keep them if I could play them.

[quote name='neonglow']Are all stores now selling just the SCPH-75001 or can I still find the other versions?[/quote]
Your best bet is to hit B&M stores instead of buying online. Having said that, most stores have already purged the older ones and restocked with 75001.

[quote name='Nogib']The only "problem" with FFA is that the save screen for one of the games has some text corruption. As long as you know how to save your game, it isn't a show-stopper at all.

[/quote]

Yeah. Some of the issues that make games "incompatible" are acutally minor.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yeah. Some of the issues that make games "incompatible" are acutally minor.[/quote]
Has anyone found a database or thread somewhere that describes the problems so potential buyers who own a SCPH-75001 can know if the incompatibilities are minor or major?

bread's done
Back