M$ to buy nintendo?

whiteboy

CAGiversary!
http://www.gcadvanced.com/article.php?artid=2907

Its not official yet but supposedly Bill Gates said it himself. I think it would be pretty cool. Shiggy could school M$ on making good games while M$ would provide cash and online. And think about their next console after playing halo 3 you could slap in the latest Zelda and beat your friends online. =P~

i cant seem to find it on any other reliable web sites either so it is very probable that it is fake. if anyone finds another link please post.

EDIT: thanks Cheapy

I don't expect anything to happen, but if it did, my dislike of M$ and love of most things Nintendo would leave me with some soul searching.

It was hard enough to accept Sonic on a Nintendo system, but it ended up well, and I got games like Super Monkey ball, Skies of Arcadia and F-zero GX (co-developed) out of it.

Aint goin to happen, Nintendo is still makin money, GBA is still the number 1 selling system worldwide. Plus they still have a decent size warchest of cash ready. The day this happens is the day me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet

There are three reasons this will not happen, not anytime soon anyway.

1. Hiroshi Yamauchi is way too stubborn and egotistical to sell his family's company(He is still the main stockholder) to some american company. Nintendo has been around since 1889. He isn't going to just sell that and give up. I could only see this happening after he's died and/or the ownership of the company leaves his family's hands.

2.Nintendo as a company is still profitable and is doing fine financially. Excluding a look at microsoft's bottomless assets, Nintendo has been much more profiitable than Xbox has been or will be for a while.

3.Nintendo is (like all others) a greedy company. If they have a chance to make systems and games, rather than just games under MS, they will go the route of making systems and games.

Not that I think it'd be a terrible thing.. except it might hurt nintendo's game development, since they've always had the advantage of designing their consoles and controllers for their games. They'd also have the outside influence of MS trying to make their games more trendy and hip. You know MS wouldn't ever take a chance on something like Donkey Konga, or Cel-Shading Zelda..

Of course Microsoft would be interested in buying Nintendo. Microsoft would be interested in buying Sony as well. The only thing is that I sincerely doubt Nintendo is going to take it.

Yamauchi is the majority holder of the stock, and he doesn't want to sell the company, he has said this publically.

That would be so fucking awesome I cannot describe it with words.

Imagine the Xbox technical know how with Nintendo game design and innovation. I think I just crapped my pants.

No way in hell that Nintendo would even consider selling when they've got a HUGE market with the gba and the popular DS about to be released later this year.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Please for the love of god, do not let this happen.[/quote]

just exactly why would this be a bad thing? im tired of buying 3 consoles already....put all 3 together for all i care

[quote name='trustcompany1013']
just exactly why would this be a bad thing? im tired of buying 3 consoles already....put all 3 together for all i care[/quote]

Yeah seriously. I can imagine Gates at home playing video games, and getting all angry that most of the exclusive games aren't for Xbox. I would get pissed (and some cases I am) too, but at least he has the money to do something about it.

This is so extremely improbable that I'd be more inclined to wear body armor against meteorites than believe this.

Note the very standard answer: Microsoft co-founder and chairman Bill Gates told the weekly on the sidelines of a conference with analysts in the United States that he would immediately make an offer if Nintendo's majority shareholder, billionaire Hiroshi Yamauchi, were ready to sell.

You can find a version of this statement in regard to buyout rumors every month in the business press. There is an unspoken, "And monkeys might fly out of my ass" at the end of it. The speaker indicates no active intent and places the responsibility entirely on another person behaving in an extremely uncharacteristic fashion.

Sure, if Nintendo came around asking if MS wanted to buy they would of course make an offer. That doesn't mean the offer would be anywhere near the actual value of the company. MS would have little reason to take on such an ill-fitting acquisition unless the price were irresistable. There is simply no publicly known reason why such a price should be accepted.

An alliance that pits both companies against Sony would be more likely if they could find a formula for applying the strengths of each while reducing their individual weaknesses in the process. Barring that, if Microsoft were looking at further acquisitions to supplement their games operation they could get a lot more for their money by buying smaller publishers with strong franchises such as Konami or Capcom. Either of those would cost a small fraction of Nintendo and would be much easier integration jobs.

[quote name='trustcompany1013'][quote name='Gameboy415']Please for the love of god, do not let this happen.[/quote]

just exactly why would this be a bad thing? im tired of buying 3 consoles already....put all 3 together for all i care[/quote]

Because lack of competition leads to mediocrity becoming the rule.

[quote name='basketkase543']No way in hell that Nintendo would even consider selling when they've got a HUGE market with the gba and the popular DS about to be released later this year.[/quote]

How can an unreleased product be popular?

I'm very favorable on the DS but don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

ms just announced dropping 32 billion as dividends, nintendo currently has a market value just south of 15 billion, with a purchase price probably at 20-25 billion if not higher
forget the "nintendo would never sell argument"
why would ms announce a huge dividend payment and at the same time move to absorb a large video game business?

This was already in some magazine's rumor section. It was mostly talking about them parternering or MS buying Nintendo.

lets think about this. not all that bad, i am a huge nintendo fan boy but the thought of having Mario, Zelda, Halo, Fable, all on the same system. But at the same time is it worth it

[quote name='trustcompany1013']just exactly why would this be a bad thing? im tired of buying 3 consoles already....put all 3 together for all i care[/quote]

How is competition a bad thing? There should be only _one_ company making each type of product, so they have no reason to innovate and can charge customers and developers as much as they want.

[quote name='vherub']ms just announced dropping 32 billion as dividends, nintendo currently has a market value just south of 15 billion, with a purchase price probably at 20-25 billion if not higher
forget the "nintendo would never sell argument"
why would ms announce a huge dividend payment and at the same time move to absorb a large video game business?[/quote]

no doubt....everything has a price....everything

My thoughts...

Isn't the Gamecube not all that profitable? I mean, yeah GB can keep Nintendo making money for years to come, but their Gamecube success is comparable to that of the N64. When/If M$ buys Nintendo, Nintendo can still be a complete company, just under the M$ umbrella. I would like to see it happen, just because I feel nintendo is just hanging on by a thread compaired to the uber Sony and the bottomless money pit of M$.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='trustcompany1013'][quote name='Gameboy415']Please for the love of god, do not let this happen.[/quote]

Because lack of competition leads to mediocrity becoming the rule.[/quote]

Case in point: WWE.

There will be NO lack of competition if M$ and Nintendo joined, because there will always be Sony. It seems like Gamecube and Xbox was an inadvertant tag team trying to take down PS2 anyway.

[quote name='alteredbeast']There will be NO lack of competition if M$ and Nintendo joined, because there will always be Sony. It seems like Gamecube and Xbox was an inadvertant tag team trying to take down PS2 anyway.[/quote]

:lol: , yeah, sure. Try not to make such stupid comments, douche-bag.

[quote name='alteredbeast']My thoughts...

Isn't the Gamecube not all that profitable? I mean, yeah GB can keep Nintendo making money for years to come, but their Gamecube success is comparable to that of the N64. When/If M$ buys Nintendo, Nintendo can still be a complete company, just under the M$ umbrella. I would like to see it happen, just because I feel nintendo is just hanging on by a thread compaired to the uber Sony and the bottomless money pit of M$.[/quote]

That depends. From one perspective the GameCube can be thought of as a GameBoy Advance accessory. It provides a means for multiple GameBoys to converge on a TV screen, as seen in FF:CC, Pacman VS., and Zelda: Four Swords. As well there is the GameBoy Player and numerous GC games that connect to their GBA adjuncts. So, to a large extent the GC serves to build the strength of the GBA as a product. Seen that way it's worth the effort.

Hey, there still would be competition if MS, Nintendo and Sony joined forces.

The Phantom could give them all a run for their money.

*trying to keep a straight face while typing that, whoops didn't work*

You know, this would only make sense if Microsoft suddenly noticed how reliable Nintendo products are and had them design their new operating system.

Wintendo!

Stable software would also help microsoft win the new bowser wars.

[quote name='eldad9']You know, this would only make sense if Microsoft suddenly noticed how reliable Nintendo products are and had them design their new operating system.

Wintendo!

Stable software would also help microsoft win the new bowser wars.[/quote]

Reliability is easy when you have a minimal fixed platform. If Nintendo got into the PC game business they'd have just as many patches as everybody else.

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='alteredbeast']There will be NO lack of competition if M$ and Nintendo joined, because there will always be Sony. It seems like Gamecube and Xbox was an inadvertant tag team trying to take down PS2 anyway.[/quote]

:lol: , yeah, sure. Try not to make such stupid comments, douche-bag.[/quote]

Can you honestly tell me that Xbox and Gamecube are in competition with each other? The game line ups, the accesories, the online plan, all completely opposite of each other. They are BOTH in competion with Sony, and if M$ and Nintendo joined, it wouldn't create any lack of competition, since Sony will still be king (for now)

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='eldad9']You know, this would only make sense if Microsoft suddenly noticed how reliable Nintendo products are and had them design their new operating system.

Wintendo!

Reliability is easy when you have a minimal fixed platform. If Nintendo got into the PC game business they'd have just as many patches as everybody else.[/quote]

I think eldad9 was making a funny. Or if he wasn't, unintentional puns are still funny.

The thing is, MS is trying to buy Nintendo. If I felt like it, i could try to buy Nintendo. It doesn't mean its going to happen. And has their been any reply from Nintendo?

Its all ready happening, the merge has started!
MS is supporting the GBA and their is rumor of them supporting the DS, Its only a matter of time before they do a full alliances!

Seriously thou this is never going to happen. The earth will emplode before Nintendo sells out to anyone. Nintendo has higher profits then anyone else in the gaming market and they aren't hurting at all.

I think there are better odds with MS will drop out of the console market and become a 2nd party Nintendo developer.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='trustcompany1013'][quote name='Gameboy415']Please for the love of god, do not let this happen.[/quote]

Case in point: WWE.[/quote]

Thank You!!!! I've been saying that since 2 days after WCW folded and ECW went under too. Now, look at the overall quality. Blech!!! Too much talent, some overexposed, alot underexposed. Who cares about quality if we're the only big-timer in the biz. And heck, let's raise the prices of our stuff too. No need to be fair or competitive.

In this case, they'd be the HUGE fucking fish in a very small pond.

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='eldad9']You know, this would only make sense if Microsoft suddenly noticed how reliable Nintendo products are and had them design their new operating system.

Wintendo!

Reliability is easy when you have a minimal fixed platform. If Nintendo got into the PC game business they'd have just as many patches as everybody else.[/quote]

I think eldad9 was making a funny. Or if he wasn't, unintentional puns are still funny.[/quote]

Yes, I got the gag, intentional or not. None the less, it was grounded in a fallacy.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='trustcompany1013'][quote name='Gameboy415']Please for the love of god, do not let this happen.[/quote]

I'd argue that Nintendo's best games came out in the years when they had virtually no competition. Now they hardly even make games out of their own properties any more, just farm them out to other people.

[quote name='CapAmerica']Its all ready happening, the merge has started!
MS is supporting the GBA and their is rumor of them supporting the DS, Its only a matter of time before they do a full alliances!

Seriously thou this is never going to happen. The earth will emplode before Nintendo sells out to anyone. Nintendo has higher profits then anyone else in the gaming market and they aren't hurting at all.

I think there are better odds with MS will drop out of the console market and become a 2nd party Nintendo developer.[/quote]

Nintendo's profits in the console market are not good at all. The handheld market is only going to get rougher too now that they have real competition. Even if they only lose 30% of their handheld marketshare to Sony it's an enormous blow to their bottom line.

Why would Microsoft ever become a 2nd party Nintendo developer? Microsoft's whole business strategy is controlling the platform. They control PCs with their OS and the XBOX with the OS and hardware. And the whole purpose of the XBOX is to get Microsoft into your living room as well as on your desk. They could care less about short term profits made from developing software for a company whose platform is slowly dying.

I guess I'm one of the few who would like to see this happen. I'd love to see MS & Nintendo on the same side against Sony.

Yes, competition usually makes it better for the end user, but Nintendo is the exception to the rule. They can usually make good stuff regardless of whether they are in "first place" or dead last.

All that Yahoo article says is that Gates would buy if Nintendo was "ready to sell." There hasn't been anything that I've seen that says it's ready to be sold. So far, this looks to be a mountain out of nothing.

bread's done
Back