Bay Area: Best Buy camp out for PS3 & Wii?

SOSTrooper

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
So now we know none of the Bay Area Best Buy's are doing midnight launch, so us organic food-loving people who didn't pre-order the systems yet will have to camp out 2 out of 3 nights for both systems! I'll be sleeping in the cold for both systems for sure at the Best Buy in Emeryville, for the nights of 16/17th and 18/19th. I did this last year for the XBox 360 launch at the same location. Anyone plan to camp out yet?

Yeah, but not at Best Buy. I plan to camp out at the only store on the Pacific coast that... in theory... should have the highest launch allocation of PS3s. It only makes sense that SCEA's flagship store gets the most launch units.

I was talking to my friend a bit while ago,

he told me Best Buy policy is a person is not allowed to camp out of the store until it has closed,

otherwise security will be called on your ass for loitering.

does anybody know of this??

i work at the sunnyvale store, I can tell you the whole "campout only after store is closed" is bullshit, we had people waiting from 2 PM the day before for the 360, I'll let you know how many PS3 and Wii's my store is getting as soon as I know.

[quote name='JEKKI']I was talking to my friend a bit while ago,

he told me Best Buy policy is a person is not allowed to camp out of the store until it has closed,

otherwise security will be called on your ass for loitering.

does anybody know of this??[/QUOTE]

Yeah last time I waited for 360, I arrived there and the line was already forming way before the store was closed for the night.

bardiya, that would be awesome!

any stores opening at midnight for the ps3 launch?

i have to leave for work at 6 AM on the 17th unless 5-6 patients cancel, lol.

[quote name='vietgurl']any stores opening at midnight for the ps3 launch?

i have to leave for work at 6 AM on the 17th unless 5-6 patients cancel, lol.[/QUOTE]

Not in the Bay Area, at least none of the Bay Area stores appeared on that list someone provided.

Nice. I am planning on camping out the Emeryville location as well, although not until Thursday afternoon around 5-6PM. What time are you planning to go?

I"m not sure, I have 1 class on Thursday at 1-2pm. If I decide to skip it, I'll drive by Wednesday afternoon to see if people are lining up. Then I'll drive by again that night to check up on it. I'm guessing people will start lining up by Wednesday night. Last year for the 360 people started lining up early in the afternoon on the day before the debut. So I'm anticipating that people will line up at least 2 nights before for the PS3. I have another friend who will line up w/ me so we can tag team our spots. I want to see how many units the Emeryville Best Buy will get first, and I dont really have a firm time on when I'll line up, but I'll line up when people begin to form a line.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']So now we know none of the Bay Area Best Buy's are doing midnight launch, so us organic food-loving people who didn't pre-order the systems yet will have to camp out 2 out of 3 nights for both systems! I'll be sleeping in the cold for both systems for sure at the Best Buy in Emeryville, for the nights of 16/17th and 18/19th. I did this last year for the XBox 360 launch at the same location. Anyone plan to camp out yet?[/quote]
Make sure to bring rain gear. It's supposed to rain on Thursday.

I work a few blocks from the BB in Emeryville. Takes me about 15 mins to walk over there. Almost got caught in the rain running over there this afternoon to return something. If weather permits, I may walk over there to see how the line is looking. I've never actually seen one for myself!

I'll be going with my plan: I wont line up until a line begins to form. So I'll be checking it Wednesday night after my midterm, and if nobody is there, I'll check again on Thursday morning, afternoon, etc. I have sleeping bag, but only a couple of umbrella, and no raincoat. I'll figure something out to deal w/ the rain. I also have 2 other buddies lining up with me, so at least I got company.

I'll be braving it alone at the Emeryville BB. I'm just gonna check the line after work on Thursday and count to see if I'll get one (cause a little birdy informed me of what to count for in order to get one there :wink: ). Hope to see you CAGs there!

Well, kinda bay area...
I'm camping out at the Santa Rosa Best Buy in hopes of one. Plus we got a CC, target, Walmart, etc in very close proximity as well. So heres hoping I don't have to get there at 12:01 am on thursday morning to buy one. I'm planning on getting in line at around mid morning or midafternoon. I would go to one in Sac, since I'm in Davis for school (my family lives in Rohnert Park, so the BB in Santa Rosa is familiar territory) but I dont feel all that safe there. Plus wayyyy more competition in yolo/sacramento county.

Meh we'll see...

Well, to make it easy for us to recognize each others, I'm the Chinese guy w/ glasses and i'll be wearing this shirt with a light brown jacket. If you see me just come up to me and say hi :)

darn, i will be wearing the same thing also. with glasses and light brown jacket. :lol: LOL

are we twins? LOL :lol:

I just got back from the Emeryville Best Buy, and there were about 6 to 8 guys already camped out. They were sitting at a big round card table playing Monopoly.

Drove by the new Mountain View BB on the way home from work. There was a roped off area with 3 tents set up. I saw about 5 guys but there could have been more.

[quote name='Syva']I just got back from the Emeryville Best Buy, and there were about 6 to 8 guys already camped out. They were sitting at a big round card table playing Monopoly.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I can bet the number will double by wednesday 7pm as ppl get off work.

Wayyyy too many people at many Best Buy and Circuit City I visited. Both Emeryville BB and CC are over their stock limit, Packed at Pinole and Marin City BB, Also over 15 ppl at each of the Pinole CC and San Rafael CC. I guess back to school for me.

Are you still gonna go to Emeryville for the Wii? Hopefully the madness will be toned down because of the low poaching opportunity for the system. Last year for the Xbox360 there were like 3 actual gamers there. It was sad, but as soon as 8am hit some lady rolled up and offered a grand for a 360. There's America for ya.

I was at Circuit City last night (the one in Daly City), and noticed some people camping out. I didn't see exactly how many people there were though.

Checked out the Emeryville locations last night too. The line is far past the allocation number for the Best Buy, which has probably shrunk down to the minimum given all the allocation shortages.

Looks like around 15+ linesitters there will be going empty-handed. Or have to mug people.

I will probably line up at Emeryville BB for the Wii on saturday night, hopefully that'll be early enough. The thing is I dont even know how many Wii they're getting.

forget about BB at San Carlos/Redwood City. When I passed the store on my way to work , I could see around 20 -30 people already lined up. that was 6:30 am this morning.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I will probably line up at Emeryville BB for the Wii on saturday night, hopefully that'll be early enough. The thing is I dont even know how many Wii they're getting.[/quote]

San Mateo TRU is doing the Wii midnight launch. I'm heading to that area because if I don't get one there, I can just go to the Target right next door and wait till 8AM. There's also a Costco nearby (although I don't know if they are doing physical units for Wii).

[quote name='jngx80']Does anyone know if the sony store in SF, Metreon is having a midnight launch?[/QUOTE]

They are, the line for it began to form at 10am this morning.

wouldn't anyone else be a bit worried about camping the metrion and then having to walk w/ the beast back to your car (i'd assume the car would be in the 5th and mission parking garage) and actually making it out of there w/ your PS3 and all of your limbs?

I don't find that area to be sketchy at all. Then again nobody ever messes with me, I am pretty scary looking myself LOL.

Does anyone know how many Wii consoles Target stores are going to get? I'm in the San Jose, CA area.

I was thinking of showing up at the store around 7am and picking one up....do I need to worry about getting one?

drove by the Emeryville CC and Best Buy yesterday at around 6. tons of people there. I think it was obvious I was checking out the lines because everyone in line turned to look at my car, haha.

The xbox 360 launch had people paying $400 for peoples places in line at BB. I wouldn't be surprised if people were paying that for other peoples place in line. Craziness!

[quote name='vietgurl']drove by the Emeryville CC and Best Buy yesterday at around 6. tons of people there. I think it was obvious I was checking out the lines because everyone in line turned to look at my car, haha.[/quote]

That's funny, it happened to me too! I drove by the Mountain View BB on my way home from work and everyone stared at my car as I drove by to check out the lines.

[quote name='homern3d']San Mateo TRU is doing the Wii midnight launch. I'm heading to that area because if I don't get one there, I can just go to the Target right next door and wait till 8AM. There's also a Costco nearby (although I don't know if they are doing physical units for Wii).[/quote]
I just called them. Security will not allow lines until the store is closed.

Has anyone been able to find Wii controllers for sale around the Bay Area yet?

so are people going to the TRU midnight thing in san mateo? theyre only getting 80 something and i cant get there til like 9, so my chances arent that great.

if its not that, then it looks like its daly city target. i cant NOT get one in a store with over 200 units right?

ah screw it, im not driving all the way to san mateo. ill go in the morning on sunday. there are 2 targets, a circuit city and a best buy all within a quarter mile radius.
if i dont get it with those odds, it was not meant to be.

I've never camped before.... I was just wondering how the bathroom rules went. Are people allowed to jump out of line to go to the bathroom, and come back?

my friend and I already have a pre-sale at the San Rafael TRU for the Nintendo Wii

we are going to San Mateo though, tomorrow night to see if we can score one "early" at their midnight launch. when was the last time anyone called them? I gave them a call today and they told me they were getting near 100 Wii's for their Midnight launch. (earlier in the thread, it was mentioned they were only getting 80?)

[quote name='asianxcore']my friend and I already have a pre-sale at the San Rafael TRU for the Nintendo Wii

we are going to San Mateo though, tomorrow night to see if we can score one "early" at their midnight launch. when was the last time anyone called them? I gave them a call today and they told me they were getting near 100 Wii's for their Midnight launch. (earlier in the thread, it was mentioned they were only getting 80?)[/quote]

I can confirm that I got the same numbers. Then again, it could have just been the exact same employee.

I've called... three times and TRU in San Mateo is not allowing anyone to form a line until it actually closes.

I didn't ask for numbers so I'm glad that you guys got an answer. I'll see you guys there if you actually head out there. I'll be the er... big Asian guy who will be playing FFIII on my DS.

so they don't want people in front of the store?

so what time do they close?

something tells me chaos will follow. :applause:

[quote name='topnotch97']
so what time do they close?

something tells me chaos will follow. :applause:[/QUOTE]

this week all TRU's close at 9pm. I am expecting the worst and also expecting not to get one. it's all good though because I still have my pre-sale at another TRU, nuts to waiting another 10 hours for it though :)

good luck to everyone. see you guys tomorrow.

To midnight launch or not to midnight launch...

I wonder if they will actually enforce the line. I'd hate to drive all the way there at 8 PM and then be greeted with a line of 100 people.

bread's done
Back