CAGcast #50: Trick or Twiit

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
50 episodes strong! This week's show features Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, CheapyD's latest hands-on PS3 experience, new releases, industry news, your questions from the CAGbag and much more!

Sorry, the audio quality starts off a bit shakey, but it clears up fast.

Just post a comment and you will be entered in our contest.
We will do a super drawing during the 50th episode special (CAGcast #51).

Download
- 73 minutes, 33MB
(If you haven't yet done so, PLEASE review us by clicking here!)
RSS feed - Add to Google - Add to My Yahoo
Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast50.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage:
Intro music: Ghostbusters / Ghosts 'n' Goblins Instant OC Remix

CAGcast Contest - Prizes: Namco, Nintendo, Phoenix Wright

CAGcast Voicemail! - Leave us a 50th Episode Message
CAGcast Survey

Phoenix Wright "Objection" website

CheapyD at Akihabara PS3 Event
Xbox 360 launch games list - PS3 launch games list
flOw flash game

New releases

Gears of War Multiplayer Videos
COD3 Multiplayer Video

Lik-Sang Phishing Scam E-Mail
XBox 360 Bundle @ Wal-Mart
Final Fantasy XII for $37.99 at CircuitCity.com

Iwata: Virtual Console Biggest Money Maker for Nintendo
Confirmed, Japan Getting Wii-VD
More Wii Secrets, Revelation Coming
360 Dashboard Update - 31 October 2006
Xbox 360 Fall Update bricking systems?
Sony Cuts Japan Launch Numbers
Sony to sell PS3 I.O.U. in Japan

Outro: Advanced D&D Intellivision

Bonus Pictures!
cheapydhalloween.jpg

wombathalloween.jpg

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Jlarlee is really a woman.[/QUOTE]
It's true, I've played videogames with him over the interwebs.

I was about to go to sleep, but now I'll listen to this.

#50 and just as great as ever. I was waiting to hear about the PS3 stuff since you posted the pics the other day. Oh and the bonus picture is hilarious. Keep it up, lookin forward to #100!:applause:

I'm disappointed.

Firstly, this isn't the celebration show I was hoping for.

Second, you used a lame Wii joke. I can't wait until they die off. Why o why couldn't they just have let the name be Revolution or Gamecube 1.5?

Other than those two things, not bad.

Congratulations , Nice bonus costume pics. Listening now being I been up half night cause Wii Pre-orders.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Re: Those pics - to quote Kiss:

YOU PULLED THE TRIGGER OF MY....LOVE GUNNNNNNN[/QUOTE]

\m/

I'm entering the contest, again.

Great show. I especially liked the PS3 previews. Looking foreward to hearing from Mrs. Wombat and Mrs. Cheapy.

Wombat, if Zelda isn't a "mouser" maybe you need a cat (or a terrier). ;)

Thanks for making my wednesday morning at work much better.

Congrats on the 50 episodes, looking forward to 50 more before you settle for that guys $6,000.

Good show :applause:

No matter how many times I hear the PS3 Genji jokes (giant enemy crab, massive damage, etc.) I never get tired of them :D

Keep 'em comin!

Tagged for contest! Happy 50th episode. Can't wait for 51 already!

Wombat: Sony's consumer electronics business isn't as big a moneymaker as you are thinking--the margins in the electronics industry in general are fairly small. However, Sony is diversified in media and electronics, so they can leverage any game business losses with their other businesses. Sony has stated that the playstation brand is extremely important to the bottom line, and they have PS2 and it's enormous installed base to prove it.

Much Props on 50 episodes Dudes! You've been rockin the whole time. Looking forward to another 50. Keep up the good work.

Robbyrob

Congratulations fellas, I am also posting in hopes of winning a Phoenix Wright toy, but I think your contests are rigged.

Solid show!

What a interesting show...Wombat saying Marvel Ultimate Alliance is the best "race" game or was it best game for "all races"...And Cheapy saying that if you're on Cheap Ass Gamer you should be "adult" enough to make right decisions. I find faults on both of those statements. I disagree on the Marvel Ultimate Alliance but understand the point you were trying to kind of make. But there's not enough diversity there. I've been a part of the site for almost three years and definently found some non-adult decisions or remarks made. For the Cagbag I have questions for the women in your lives. For Mrs. Cheapy how do you feel about Cheapy running this site and basically delving his life into video games and NOT having to REALLY work? Also what games do you enjoy playing (with or without cheapy)? For Mrs. Wombat what games do you enjoy playing (with or without Wombat)? Also do either of these guys make enough one-on-one time for you?

[quote name='cruzincontrol']What a interesting show...Wombat saying Marvel Ultimate Alliance is the best "race" game or was it best game for "all races"...And Cheapy saying that if you're on Cheap Ass Gamer you should be "adult" enough to make right decisions. I find faults on both of those statements. For the Cagbag I have questions for the women in your lives. For Mrs. Cheapy how do you feel about Cheapy running this site and basically delving his life into video games and NOT having to REALLY work? Also what games do you enjoy playing (with or without cheapy)? For Mrs. Wombat what games do you enjoy playing (with or without Wombat)?[/QUOTE]

What I was trying to say is that it was one of the best examples of a game having multiple races, without that characters race being important to the story or that characters race being the motivation for his being in the game to begin with. They are just good characters that happen to be black, white, male or female, games dont do that enough.

I would have sounded more elloquent on the show but Cheapy interrupted me ;)

Wombat has been saying some lines that had me laughing pretty hard recently:

"Flaggot" (this episode) & "Crazy Chair Hand Batman" (last episode?)

Keep up the good work guys!!

wombathalloween.jpg

Wombat is a much braver man than I.

Great show and I'd like to say that the Cagcast is much easier to listen before and after work rather than all at once. makes the 78 minutes not seem like forever. Also ban dormer if he doesn't give Cag credit again.

Sorry Wombat, but your assessment of Sony's earnings is dead wrong. Sony Computer Entertainment has, in fact, been the ONLY branch within Sony to earn a profit on the products and services they offer numerous times in the past 10 years. In fact, Sony Computer Entertainment was making so much profit that Sony Corp. completely reorganized their divisions such that SCE became one of the four core businesses within the corporation. (SCE used to be a subdivision of Sony Music.)

Rest assured, the financial loss that Sony Computer Entertainment is going to incur with the PS3 is going to have WAY more of an affect on Sony Corp as a whole than you realize. The issues that the other Sony divisions are having aren't helping matters either.

The current state of affairs at Sony Corp make it clear that Sony, in fact, DOES NOT have the means to carry itself through the impending financial losses of the PS3. Mark my words, it's going to take a miracle to bring Sony out of the depths of the shithole they have created for themselves.

EDIT: One more thing. Nintendo does have another MAJOR revenue source. It's called Pokemon. :p

[quote name='daphatty']Sorry Wombat, but your assessment of Sony's earnings is dead wrong. Sony Computer Entertainment has, in fact, been the ONLY branch within Sony to earn a profit on the products and services they offer numerous times in the past 10 years. In fact, Sony Computer Entertainment was making so much profit that Sony Corp. completely reorganized their divisions such that SCE became one of the four core businesses within the corporation. (SCE used to be a subdivision of Sony Music.)

Rest assured, the financial loss that Sony Computer Entertainment is going to incur with the PS3 is going to have WAY more of an affect on Sony Corp as a whole than you realize. The issues that the other Sony divisions are having aren't helping matters either.

The current state of affairs at Sony Corp make it clear that Sony, in fact, DOES NOT have the means to carry itself through the impending financial losses of the PS3. Mark my words, it's going to take a miracle to bring Sony out of the depths of the shithole they have created for themselves.

EDIT: One more thing. Nintendo does have another MAJOR revenue source. It's called Pokemon. :p[/QUOTE]

again we have all proven that I in fact know very little about anything, yet I did sound so convincing, didnt I?, although I consider Pokemon part of the Nintendo gaming picture and I was right about Mircosoft, so that should count for something right?

At least I make a cool GL

[quote name='Wombat']again we have all proven that I in fact know very little about anything, yet I did sound so convincing, didnt I?, although I consider Pokemon part of the Nintendo gaming picture and I was right about Mircosoft, so that should count for something right?

At least I make a cool GL[/QUOTE]

If you buy Mortal Kombat 3 without splitting it with me, I will point out all your other mistakes in this episode as well... and ban you so hard your mom will ask "what was that?"

[quote name='shipwreck']If you buy Mortal Kombat 3 without splitting it with me, I will point out all your other mistakes in this episode as well... and ban you so hard your mom will ask "what was that?"[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='shipwreck']If you buy Mortal Kombat 3 without splitting it with me, I will point out all your other mistakes in this episode as well... and ban you so hard your mom will ask "what was that?"[/QUOTE]

Thanks shippy, on a side note, http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25920
theres some how SOny makes money info for us all to learn from, see their profit still comes from TV's, I'm not the PS3 isnt important for the bottom line, just that Nintendo doesnt make TV's.

KaneRobot,

I just wanted to point out that in your voice mail re: this Cagcast, you sound exactly like Kevin from The Office.

Otherwise keep up the gud verks.

I listened to the CAGCast and Cheapy I'm wondering WHY you didn't mention
RR7. Did you play it or what? Because I'm really wondering how the graphics were for it.

[quote name='Sarang01']I listened to the CAGCast and Cheapy I'm wondering WHY you didn't mention
RR7. Did you play it or what? Because I'm really wondering how the graphics were for it.[/QUOTE]

That reminded me of something they forgot to mention in the "New Releases" section as well: http://www.lrm2007.com/

What the hell kind of journalism is this anyway?

30 minutes in and it's a good show so far... but as far as Wombat's semi rant about there not being a good platformer at launch... I'm glad there's not. The genre's been done to death and it's simply not fun anymore.

I think you guys should use the voice mail as an audition board for the CAG casts. Post a topic and people can give their ideas. Then, they can join in for 5-10 minutes on the next CAG cast and share their insight.

I bring this up because (this being my first listen) I noticed that there are certain aspects of gaming that just get glossed over because neither of you have interest in them. "FFXII is coming out today... You care? Me either!" You guys also seem to have too similar opinions to make really provacative discussion. "I like game X! I like game X as well! *High Five*" You need more of a point- counter point.

[quote name='Wombat']Thanks shippy, on a side note, http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25920
theres some how SOny makes money info for us all to learn from, see their profit still comes from TV's, I'm not the PS3 isnt important for the bottom line, just that Nintendo doesnt make TV's.[/quote]

Apologies, not trying to pick on you this week, but I think you are mis-interpreting the linked article. The part you are referring to is only saying that Sony's electronics divison is in a restructuring phase and that certain products (LCD TVs and digital cameras in particular) are meeting sales estimates. It is not saying that the bulk of Sony's operating profit is coming from the sales of TVs (this is considering that cameras, computers, and audio equipment also comprise Sony's consumer electronics business, and also considering that Sony owns several other different businesses besides that). In fact, over the last several years, it was the Playstation that was carrying the company's bottom line, only recently losing a lot of ground due to the development costs of the PS3.

I do agree with you, though, that Nintendo has no other businesses to fall back on, but Sony's position is still tenous given the amount of profit that the Playstation brand has historically provided. I don't think Sony is in a healthy enough financial position to comfortably rely on any of it's other businesses to maintain shareholder value. That's what dephatty et all are saying, I think...

That's a pretty sweet costume for being homemade, Wombat.

I have to agree with the "certain aspects of gaming are ignored" complaint. But there's only two guys doing the show and thus only two people playing games. To have someone talk about FFXII, I'd rather they actually play it (I'm about 7 hours in and it seems like a quality FF - definitely the one to pick up of you like MMORPGs).

Sweet. You guys read my review and subsequently I listened to the CAGcast 4 times today.
If you hadn't read my review, I probably would have only listened twice.
You guys make the work day go by so much quicker.

bread's done
Back