Hoorah - Metal Slug 12/14

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
After a bit of delay, it's looks like SNK is finally giving us the full collection of Metal Slug games.

Included are: Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4, Metal Slug 5, and for the first time in the anthology, Metal Slug 6! All for the MSPR of $39.99.

A few questions I have for anyone who gets the game before me:

- Are there unlimited credits (continues)?
- How is Metal Slug 6 emulated? I've heard a rumor (CAG Penguinmaster) of slowdown in the game.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=230031

230031l2.jpg

230031l3.jpg

230031l4.jpg

theres like 6 control setups on Wii. Expect better loading times too. Plus its on wii.

Amazon sent me an advisory earlier this month that my pre-order would not ship in time for Xmas, which suggests they aren't getting any this week (only 4 days left for Super Saver Shipping in time for the 24th). Still, I hope it does come out on the 14th. Really looking forward to this game.

Hmm... if the gamecube controller is useable for this then I suppose I'll get the Wii version.

Why the cancel, Tanuki?

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Hmm... if the gamecube controller is useable for this then I suppose I'll get the Wii version.

Why the cancel, Tanuki?[/quote]
No money. :cry: I'd like to move it to my Wii Play/Remote preorder anyway.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No money. :cry: I'd like to move it to my Wii Play/Remote preorder anyway.[/quote]

If you're tight for cash that would be a better purchase anyway, IMO.

[quote name='G0G0']Anybody pick this up yet? I'd really like to know for sure which controllers will work on it.[/QUOTE]

I think I heard that this actually ships today and will be out tomorrow. At least last time I checked gamestop.com, that was the case. If you're interested in control schemes, search metal slug anthology at gamevideos.com, there's a video that has all the control schemes for the game. There's an interesting one that lets you hold the wii remote up like an arcade joystick... but I'd say you'll probably be using the regular controls or the gamecube controller.

[quote name='Midnite']People over at gamefaqs are saying some ebs and walmart's have it.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, so it's actually out then?? I can't wait till I get the call from Gamestop. I really, really hope that SNKP didn't fuck these ports up because if they did, then we'll probably never see a decent home version of Metal Slug 1. And that'd suck.

I got 2 copies last night that I had prebooked at ToysRUs. So it is out. Good stuff too. I played about 30 mins of Metal Slug 6 last night. =)

Here's the aforementioned gamevideos.com feature showing off the different control schemes with embedded picture-in-picture of how they work.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=vWjpPBxocxg[/MEDIA]

Having all the games on one disc would be enough but it'll be neat to try them out with the Wii remote.

The video did bring up something I hadn't thought about, I wonder if they'll edit anything aside from the blood. It'd be neat if they could have snuck in an unlock code like way back when in Mortal Kombat, but I can definitely see how important it was for them to hit the T rating.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, the video shows red blood but past versions have it removed, wonder how the final version will turn out.

Hmm. Someone posted on another board that the MS 6 port is not so great. The sound is bad and there is NO HIT FLASH. I think that's pretty bad. Also, you can't use the D-pad on the GC controller, and if you use the Wii remote in the "NES controller mode", you still have to flick up the controller to throw a grenade. I'm torn. I want to play this still... do you think the missing Hit Flash (like when you shoot bosses, you see no flash) takes away from it? From what people are saying, you can't tell if you're hitting the weakspots of bosses because of this.

I'm still not sure if I should get it or not. Someone make this important decision for me :whistle2:D

EDIT:
I think I still want it. :whistle2:D

I did not see any slowdown at all in Metal Slug 6. The sound seemed ok to me but I didn't really analyze it. I did notice the lack of boss hit flash, but the game works fine. You can have unlimited continues, so does it really matter if it is a bit harder to figure out the bosses?

As for the wii remote setup for the controller, I thought it worked great and I had no problems using grenades.

Great game in my opinion...

I probably will pick this up tomorrow after work.

I know there are some concerns about the controls. It's just too much Metal Slug on one disc for me to resist :)

I think i will get this tomorrow. All the nitpicky bullshit is typical of classic releases like this. I'm a metal slug fan, but not a fanboy. I won't notice if this or that bumblefuck sprite doesn't flash. I never even played Metal Slug 6 before.

Anybody wanna weigh in on some reasonable impressions.. those gamefaqs people scare me.

To anyone that owns it how are the controls using the Wiimote ? I have NGC controllers but the Wii controls have me wondering if they would work or just completely blow.

Wait, you can't use the pad on the GCN controller? So that means those Hori retro Gamecube controllers won't work either, right?

[quote name='KingDox']To anyone that owns it how are the controls using the Wiimote ? I have NGC controllers but the Wii controls have me wondering if they would work or just completely blow.[/quote]

I've only played it with the Wiimote sideways setting, and it felt just fine. You have to flick the Wiimote to throw grenades, but it's not as bad as I thought. I really like it a lot, but I wish I could use the Classic controller to play too.

[quote name='fujishig']Wait, you can't use the pad on the GCN controller? So that means those Hori retro Gamecube controllers won't work either, right?[/QUOTE]

Ok, I picked it up today here's some early impressions:

- I found the graphics on the Xbox version of Metal Slug 3 to be sharper than than of MS 4/5 for the PS2. Thankfully, the graphics are quite sharp, faithfully reproduced.

- Load time to the title screen: about 7 seconds, then about 10 seconds once you pick a game.

- Yes, you can only use the analog part of the gamecube controller. But, the d-pad is so small, I really wouldn't want to use it.

- Pause, while playing with the CG controller is mapped to the "Z" button. Don't ask me why.

- You can save your game at any level.

- Yes, the game has blood.

- Wii control is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Since FEAR for 360 is $44 this week.. I've decided to give up Searching for anywhere that even HAS Metal Slug Anthology, and get that.. Maybe sometime after a price drop.. Metal Slug Games have been doing that quickly lately.

[quote name='jer7583']Since FEAR for 360 is $44 this week.. I've decided to give up Searching for anywhere that even HAS Metal Slug Anthology, and get that.. Maybe sometime after a price drop.. Metal Slug Games have been doing that quickly lately.[/quote]

Really? They seem to stay at MSRP forever as far as I've seen. The only (semi-)dip in value is in the secondary market.

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know if the Java cellphone version of Metal Slug is a port of any of the games or an original?

[quote name='WebScud']Really? They seem to stay at MSRP forever as far as I've seen. The only (semi-)dip in value is in the secondary market.
[/QUOTE]

Nah, all the Metal Slug's released in the US so far this generation have seen a ton of clearance prices across the board.

I doubt the Wii will clearance any time soon though since there aren't too many games for the Wii right now and people will get this regardless.

[quote name='WebScud']Really? They seem to stay at MSRP forever as far as I've seen. The only (semi-)dip in value is in the secondary market.

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know if the Java cellphone version of Metal Slug is a port of any of the games or an original?[/QUOTE]

I remember being glad I waited on Metal Slug 4/5 because that hit $20 within months. Same for Metal Slug 3, I got that for fairly cheap.

I think by June/July this should be $20, somewhere. There seems to be no demand, and no stores actually carrying it, here at least.

I have this game, beat it, and loved every minute of it. In the instruction manual the people at SNK actually thank us for buying the game. I think they put a lot of loving care into the making of this collection, and they seem to have the same outlook on their job that Working Designs have: they're proud of their creation and they like what they're doing. It's always great to play a game made by those kinds of people.

I found that playing with the Gamecube controller worked better for me than any of the Wii controls, but my wife liked playing with the Wii controls. With 6 different ways to play I guess there's something here for everyone.

Anyway, now that I beat it, I'm willing to trade it for Trauma Center and I'll add $10 to even the deal. PM me if you want to trade.

I tried to use my Soul Calibur 2 NGC Arcade stick on this and it didn't work. Did I just have bad luck or does the SC2 arcade stick not work on the wii ?

My TRU where I pre-ordered it still does not have this in. They owe me $30 off since I bought Trauma Center and Monkey Ball (Buy 3 get 30 off) and this title was delayed. I know I'm going to be pissed when they try to deny me.

metal slugs 6 looks blurry and yes no flash on boss hits..(why) it left me confuse at first, feel like a last thought game, but overall the the anthology is good!

bread's done
Back