Wii Video Tearing/Speckles?

fldash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I don't play my Wii very often. I bought it as a party device. I did however setup WiiConnect 24 and have had it on/hooked up since the 19th when I got it.

Yesterday, I started playing Wii Tennis and was seeing that the video was doing weird things. Almost like what it looks like when the video card on a PC gets too hot or is going out or something. It wasn't really tearing, it was hard to explain, maybe I can take a video of it with my camera, but I'm not sure you'd be able to see it.

It was noticeable a lot on the replays when the action slowed down but I didn't really notice it in play. It was EXTREMELY noticable when the YOU WIN/YOU LOSE text was up. You could clearly see something like weird vertical black lines with fuzz around them.

My Wii is well ventilated and my house is normally on the cool side anyway (because of all the electronics, I keep it cool).

I also noticed similar issues in Wii Bowling.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm using the component cable and none of the video issues exist in the Wii menus or on the Wii Forecast Channel which is very nice/clear looking on my 40" LCD HDTV.

Thanks!

try turning off progressive scan if you have that on maybe? try putting it in 4:3 and then back to wide screen also. Not sure if that will do anything but it's a start I suppose.

Turn off progressive scan on the Wii? I have changed my TV settings a little, but because all the Wii menus are clear without any sign of the issue, I decided it was definitely an issue with the game system itself. I haven't tried another game (I have Madden/Rayman) to see if it happens in those titles as well.

[quote name='fldash']Turn off progressive scan on the Wii? I have changed my TV settings a little, but because all the Wii menus are clear without any sign of the issue, I decided it was definitely an issue with the game system itself. I haven't tried another game (I have Madden/Rayman) to see if it happens in those titles as well.[/quote]

Can you hear the fans spinning? It's also possible that you have a poorly seated heat sink somewhere. Personally I'd call Nintendo so they can replace it.

Hmm, haven't payed attention to see if I can hear the fans spinning. I will see if I can. I know that I can hear the DVD drive making noise when a game is playing and the sound is off. Sometimes it sounds a little 'funky'. ;)

mine did that once only in Zelda. eventually went away after a while of playing. I was in a dungeon so i didnt want to shut it off an drestart it. mine is also well ventilated.

This has nothing to do with progressive scan being on or off. I have the very same problem with my Wii...

It started about a week ago while playing Zelda. There's speckles/dots that appear over the screen, especially when you look into the sky, etc. I believe it has to do with the video hardware/GPU overheating and generating these "artifacts." It is true that this may be from a poorly seated heatsink. Which sucks cause I'll probably need to send in my Wii to Nintendo to have it repaired.

I tried just about everything to fix this problem aside from taking the Wii itself apart and checking things out. Not about to void any warranties, also I don't have that special screwdriver for Nintendo's special screws.

Oh well I guess...I wish there was a simple solution to this.

Yup, that's the same problem I have. If you think that's bad though, play Zelda...

In certain areas those specs are all over the screen and it's impossible to ignore them.

I'm somewhat tempted to checkout that cooling device, but something tells me that's not going to fix it.

I don't think those are artifacts... it looks like it might be interference from something. Have you tried it with another TV? Or with some other games?

It was working fine before and nothing has changed. Being a PC gamer, I know artifacts when I see them and they are definitely artifacts.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't think those are artifacts... it looks like it might be interference from something. Have you tried it with another TV? Or with some other games?[/QUOTE]

I just got off the phone with Nintendo. They are shipping me a replacement unit and then I'll stick mine in the box and ship it back. So an advanced replacement. They are also shipping it UPS BLUE (which means 2 day service). If it goes out today, I'll have it Friday.

Incredibly easy.

Now, is there anyway to copy all my Mii's to an SD card or will we have to recreate them?

[quote name='fldash']I just got off the phone with Nintendo. They are shipping me a replacement unit and then I'll stick mine in the box and ship it back. So an advanced replacement. They are also shipping it UPS BLUE (which means 2 day service). If it goes out today, I'll have it Friday.

Incredibly easy.

Now, is there anyway to copy all my Mii's to an SD card or will we have to recreate them?[/quote]

I'm not sure about that. If you send a Mii to a friend, does it include all the accomplishments? If so, you could find a friend to use as a backup for all your Miis. Heck, you could even send your Miis from the old Wii to the new Wii since you'll have them both there together.

Good point jasongst. I thought I read the controller could hold up to 10 Mii's. If so, I'll just copy them to my two controllers and move the Wii Sports save to an SD card and see if that works.

Problem with the GPU, I've seen similar pics in other threads.

Guess this problem is more common than I thought, on Nintendo, et tu?

More pics from another user:

wii_dots.JPG

wii_dots2.JPG

Wow, that's a lot worse than mine. At any rate, Nintendo makes it easy to get a replacement regardless and so although it's an issue, they make it a non-issue.

[quote name='dallow']More pics from another user:

wii_dots.JPG

wii_dots2.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Got the new console in the mail today via UPS. Two days after I called them. Moved my Miis to each of my remotes and swapped out the consoles. Moved the Miis to the new console. Super easy. Stuck my old Wii back in the box and placed the label they sent in the package on it. Will drop by UPS store later. Nintendo couldn't have made it any easier...

I just hope my new console doesn't get the graphic issue.

Wiiproblem0001.jpg

The problem should be readily apparent. I called Nintendo Customer Service, and the answer I was given was something about a magnetic device within the Wii that was causing the problem and to leave the system and the TV off for a day (the lady didn't seem real sure of herself), and to call back the next day if the problem didn't resolve itself.

Now, I've tried other tvs and cables, so who knows, she could be right (although, what about the fact that both were already off for a day when I turned it off yesterday...), but obviously people are getting different responses than I am.

Think I should call customer service again? I'll admit that I could not describe the problem particularly well. I wish I could email the picture or something.

anyone get green blocks while playing? It happened quite often in red stell when iw as playing but i didnt see it anywhere else. Could this be only in that one game ie poor programming or should i give Nintendo a call?

[quote name='chimpian']anyone get green blocks while playing? It happened quite often in red stell when iw as playing but i didnt see it anywhere else. Could this be only in that one game ie poor programming or should i give Nintendo a call?[/quote]

Yeah, I had the green block problem with COD3. I'm getting my system replaced as well.

[quote name='Layd Dly']What happens to the VC games if i get another console through Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

i think you can back up your vc games to an sd card.

ive never done it but ive read it on here a few times.

do a quick search and you'll find something.

[quote name='Layd Dly']What happens to the VC games if i get another console through Nintendo?[/quote]You can't opt for the fast replcament then. You'll have to send in your console for repairs, and they'll get it back to you fixed, adn with your VC games on it.

[quote name='chimpian']i think you can back up your vc games to an sd card.

ive never done it but ive read it on here a few times.

do a quick search and you'll find something.[/quote]

You can back them up but they won't play on another machine.
And you can't re-download them on a new machine.

You have to send your console, and get that one fixed.
Or go through a hassle of getting Nintendo to set up your new Wii with your account. some crap like that.

[quote name='dallow']You can back them up but they won't play on another machine.
And you can't re-download them on a new machine.

You have to send your console, and get that one fixed.
Or go through a hassle of getting Nintendo to set up your new Wii with your account. some crap like that.[/quote]

thats exactly what i don't like about their VC, at least the 360 i can just take off the hard-drive, i don't want to have to send it in and then wait.

I don't see why they cant just put a copy on the new console, or after you at least send your console back in to verify what was purchased to provide a code, free download link, replacement points to some how replace the software you purchased.

That definitely does suck, but I decided to get mine replaced anyway and just eat the $20 I've spent on the VC. I'd rather have a new console than one that's "fixed" and could possibly have the same problem pop up again.

[quote name='Squall835']That definitely does suck, but I decided to get mine replaced anyway and just eat the $20 I've spent on the VC. I'd rather have a new console than one that's "fixed" and could possibly have the same problem pop up again.[/quote]

Yup, it just means i wont buy VC games. maybe in a year and i know my machine is in good working order. Im not going to keep pissing money away for games they are makin 100% profit on and people have to re-buy.

I'm glad I have not had any of these problems with my Wii, but it seems that Nintendo's hardware is getting worse and worse between this and the DS lite issues people have had. Atleast their CS is great and they help get it fixed/replaced.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Yup, it just means i wont buy VC games. maybe in a year and i know my machine is in good working order. Im not going to keep pissing money away for games they are makin 100% profit on and people have to re-buy.[/quote]

All you have to do is call Nintendo, inform them of the situation, and they will allow you to download the VC games on the new console.

Hmm, I hadn't had any trouble like this, and now, playing Wario Ware, I've got some issues popping up. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse or not.

People that suffered from this problem, was it always in the same places in the same games? I only notice it at very specific (and seemingly random) spots in Wario Ware.

Mine has done it with all 3 of my games, on my parents' tv over Christmas as well as my own, and with both composite and component cables. It hasn't been as bad as the pictures other people have posted but I think I'm going to call Nintendo tomorrow and get it replaced. On another note.... I've had problems with the screen color. It almost looks like somebody held a magnet to the screen. The upper left corner gets a bluish hue and the upper right corner gets a yellow/orangish hue. It began happening shortly after I got my wii and it only happens while or soon after I use the wii. It shows up and then goes away again within minutes. It's really puzzling. Any ideas??

mine is usually the most visible in Zelda, also the first game it showed up in, but has also been in wii sports. it may be in the others just not noticed, but it gets pretty bad in Zelda.

Interesting. I'll keep my eyes open. For now, it's not enough of a concern to be without the Wii for a week or more (have VC games on there). Did anyone ever notice them in VC games, or in GC games?

[quote name='Layd Dly']mine is usually the most visible in Zelda, also the first game it showed up in.[/quote]
Same here

Also... I haven't played a GC game in the wii. As for virtual console games, I only have the old Super mario bros. game and NES Tennis and I don't remember noticing the specks in them, but I could be wrong.

If you guys are actually seeing this like this, please get them replaced.

The problems only get worse, it's a problem with the GPU.
You'd see the same symptoms on PCs with overclocked/overheating graphics cards.

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']All you have to do is call Nintendo, inform them of the situation, and they will allow you to download the VC games on the new console.[/QUOTE]

have you done this? i just got off the phone with a rep and they said you lose the games.....

ah fuck it im just gonna send it in for repair
i want my vc games

I had the same problem - initially I thought it was the cheap component cable I brought, but since then I've tried two Wii's on the same TV / cable setup (no issues), I've tried my Wii on different TV's with both component / composite in all screen res's etc and it's definately a problem.

I know of one other person with the same issues,

It happens on all my games to varying degree's although it does get worse the longer the unit is left on (I usually leave mine horizontally in standby mode connected to Wii-Connect 24, also I have a USB WiiMote charger stand plugged in), and the unit does get quite warm at the bottom.

I'll ring Nintendo's UK customer service and see if I can get the unit repaired / replaced.

Thanks for the help.

Jon...

bread's done
Back