The decline of Japanese Gaming

dmaul1114

Banned
Anyone read the various features in the latest EGM on the fall of Japanese gaming (they also talk about it's potential to rise again).

I'd have to agree with them. I used to be a huge fan of japanese games to the point of bashing western games--didn't play FPS, western RPGs etc. etc. But by the end of last gen I was sick of gaming and barely playing. Just felt like I was playing the same old shit over and over again. As John Davison put it--Japanese developers are stuck in 1998. And for Japanese games losing their market power, all you have to do is look at sales charts and see how dominated they are by western games--especially if you take out Nintendo who really hasn't lost any steam in selling their software.

Since getting a 360 last October after having gotten into games like Gears of War at my buddies, my interest in gaming has sharply returned. And it's been all western games--FPS, western RPGs etc. for the most part. So for me it's been a complete 180 in gaming tastes and interests. Though I can't say if it's because western developers are more innovative, or just because its new to me since I was stuck on Japanese games mainly in the past.

Anyway, I was curious what other thought and whether they had lost interest in Japanese games, or were still interested etc.

Some other interesting tidbits in the article are how Japanese devs are shifting from "hardcore" games to casual. Mentioned that after the poor sales of The World Ends With You in Japan that Square-Enix's president told stock holders they'd be focusing less on "hardcore" games in the future and more on casual fare. That stuff doesn't bode well for my interest in Japanese games returning as I hate casual games and non-games....if we're just getting that and the standard JRPGs, schmups, etc. Japanese game purchases will remain few and far between for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Japanese games are still my favorite games. Sure, there may be truth to Japan not being the powerhouse it once was now, but the Japanese developers I like are still pumping out the titles I love.

My top three favorite games of the last 5 years are Japanese too:

Super Mario Galaxy
Shadow of the Colossus
Warioware

I partially agree. While yeah, the Japs haven't had anything innovative in a looooong time, they're still the ones making polished games. All too often, Western games have a great concept, but they don't get the core mechanics down, so the game ends up playing like shit. This is also known as the sandbox genre. Japanese games also still have far more interesting settings and premises that don't boil down to "crime," "war," or "generic future"... while obviously, nobody can defend JRPGs at this point, games like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry not to mention stuff like Shadow of the Colossus just feel more unique.

So while yeah, Japanese games are definitely not the pinnacle of innovation or anywhere near it, my interest in the games is about the same as it's always been, which is very high. Though the West is catching up pretty quick, especially this gen.

It doesn't feel to me that Japan has declined. It's target market is just more apparent now with the influx of Western developers.

I can't think of a single Western title that's had as engaging of an RPG storyline as Persona 3 or as intricate a combat system as Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry.

Japan also tends to do survival horror very well, focusing more on psychological horror than dark room/sudden movements.

There are exceptions to this, of course. God of War is an incredible series. FEAR was a creepy game. But in the end, Western developers make excellent shooters and some very compelling DungeonsandDragons based RPGs, while Japan makes JRPGs (obviously, heh), fighting games, horror, and action games well.

Now, there are other genres that I haven't touched, like Sports, Platforming, or Racing, but I don't feel nearly as strongly about those. :p

[quote name='Chacrana']I partially agree. While yeah, the Japs haven't had anything innovative in a looooong time, they're still the ones making polished games. All too often, Western games have a great concept, but they don't get the core mechanics down, so the game ends up playing like shit. [/QUOTE]

Now see, this was where the western dev's interviewed said that Japanese devs have failed. They argue that this used to be the case (tight controls etc.) with the move to 3D gaming most Japanese developers haven't got it down, and there's too many games with shit controls, terrible cameras etc.

I'd have to agree, it seems to me that looking at hit games it's the japanese games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden etc. that are plagued by terrible camera's, overly complicated controls etc.

[quote name='GuardianE']
I can't think of a single Western title that's had as engaging of an RPG storyline as Persona 3
[/QUOTE]

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect have too of the best RPG story lines I've encountered. But I never liked JRPG story lines much. I've not played Persona, but I have a hard time imagining getting sucked into an anime-ish (I hate anime) story set around a bunch of high schoolers.

But of course, this is all a matter of opinion. With the poll I kind of expect that most people who were interested highly in japanese games probably still are--despite my change of heart and that of those in the EGM article.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Now see, this was where the western dev's interviewed said that Japanese devs have failed. They argue that this used to be the case (tight controls etc.) with the move to 3D gaming most Japanese developers haven't got it down, and there's too many games with shit controls, terrible cameras etc.

I'd have to agree, it seems to me that looking at hit games it's the japanese games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden etc. that are plagued by terrible camera's, overly complicated controls etc.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely a valid point, especially regarding DMC and NG, but those games have combat systems with a ton of depth, and since that's the entire focus of those games, they're still very successful at what they're trying to do, despite those flaws.. But when I talk about broken mechanics, I mean when you have say, a driving section in a game that feels floaty and unrealistic, or weapons that aren't fun to fire in a shooter. Even with the best controls, if the game design isn't there, the game's not worth playing.

I do wanna comment that this issue of EGM is pretty damn interesting, just because this is a legitimate topic that has some meaning.

[quote name='Chacrana']
I do wanna comment that this issue of EGM is pretty damn interesting, just because this is a legitimate topic that has some meaning.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This is the best issue they've put out in a LONG time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd have to agree, it seems to me that looking at hit games it's the japanese games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden etc. that are plagued by terrible camera's, overly complicated controls etc.[/quote]

I think the camera argument is a valid one, but at the same time the only action game that has trumped the cameras of DMC or Ninja Gaiden (first one, not the god awful camera for the second one) is God of War.

Most Western developers don't really try to do the stuff that Japanese developers do... and vice versa. It's like they're not really willing to step out into each others' territory because the other side does it so well. Like, I might get bashed for this, but even Too Human, as pretty anticipated game, feels clunky and rushed to me. There's a lack of fluidity in the combat structure... and to supplement it, they've added more RPG elements to it. So now it feels like a more combat oriented Champions of Norrath that doesn't take combat to the level that it really should.

In terms of the move to 3D, most larger Japanese developers don't really seem to have had too much of a problem making that transition. Capcom, Konami, Namco, Tecmo, Nintendo... they've all done great work in 3D and approach it wholeheartedly.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect have too of the best RPG story lines I've encountered. But I never liked JRPG story lines much. I've not played Persona, but I have a hard time imagining getting sucked into an anime-ish (I hate anime) story set around a bunch of high schoolers.

But of course, this is all a matter of opinion. With the poll I kind of expect that most people who were interested highly in japanese games probably still are--despite my change of heart and that of those in the EGM article.[/QUOTE]

Bioware can definitely put together a damn good story, though I think where they falter is in the presentation of that story. It's usually just dialog in these games, whereas in a JRPG, it's a cinematic that has music designed to set the mood, dramatic camera angles, etc. And that sorta thing goes a long ways, and sometimes saves a hackneyed, banal plot.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect have too of the best RPG story lines I've encountered. But I never liked JRPG story lines much. I've not played Persona, but I have a hard time imagining getting sucked into an anime-ish (I hate anime) story set around a bunch of high schoolers.

But of course, this is all a matter of opinion. With the poll I kind of expect that most people who were interested highly in japanese games probably still are--despite my change of heart and that of those in the EGM article.[/quote]

I'll definitely concede Mass Effect and KOTOR. There are always exceptions. Like, in the fighting genre, Def Jam: Fight for NY came out of nowhere as a capable fighting game. I'm just going majority wise.

[quote name='Chacrana']Bioware can definitely put together a damn good story, though I think where they falter is in the presentation of that story. It's usually just dialog in these games, whereas in a JRPG, it's a cinematic that has music designed to set the mood, dramatic camera angles, etc. And that sorta thing goes a long ways, and sometimes saves a hackneyed, banal plot.[/quote]

I very much agree.

[quote name='GuardianE']Def Jam: Fight for NY came out of nowhere as a capable fighting game. I'm just going majority wise.[/QUOTE]

Oh no.... no no no.

[quote name='Chacrana']Oh no.... no no no.[/quote]

lol, I knew I would get flak for this one. Can you come up with a better example? At least it was fun, which is more than I can say for any other Western fighters out there. I would contend it is the best Western fighter out there.

[quote name='GuardianE']I think the camera argument is a valid one, but at the same time the only action game that has trumped the cameras of DMC or Ninja Gaiden (first one, not the god awful camera for the second one) is God of War.

Most Western developers don't really try to do the stuff that Japanese developers do... and vice versa. It's like they're not really willing to step out into each others' territory because the other side does it so well. Like, I might get bashed for this, but even Too Human, as pretty anticipated game, feels clunky and rushed to me. There's a lack of fluidity in the combat structure... and to supplement it, they've added more RPG elements to it. So now it feels like a more combat oriented Champions of Norrath that doesn't take combat to the level that it really should.

In terms of the move to 3D, most larger Japanese developers don't really seem to have had too much of a problem making that transition. Capcom, Konami, Namco, Tecmo, Nintendo... they've all done great work in 3D and approach it wholeheartedly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Too Humans combat is odd. though I will say on playign the demo a 2nd time I liked it a lot more. There is a bit more depth to it than their appears to be.

But it's not meant to be a DMC type game, it's much more in the Diablo mold--just witha little DMC sytle action mixed in.

As for 3D and japanese, there are good examples but there are also games like the Resident evil series, which had shit cameras and shit controls. I think you could also argue that the Camera in the ratchet games is better than in the 3D marios etc.

In the end, I don't think it's as bad as those western devs made it out to be in their interview, but I see where they are coming from.

And you're right that there's not a lot of overlap in what they do. I think western devs have seen that there's a lot bigger market for FPS, sandbox games, etc. than there is for turn-based, linear rpgs, intricate action games with complicated controls etc. etc. while Japanese developers are indeed stuck in 1998.

[quote name='Chacrana']Now that I think about it, there's an ideal solution:

US makes 3D games, Japan makes 2D games, Europe fucks off.[/quote]

Uh what's so bad about Europe?

I thought it was a very interesting EGM and got me thinking about how I feel regarding Japanese games. Outside of Nintendo games, I can think of very few Japanese games I care about. I love Western RPGs but deplore JRPGs. I think the interview of the guy making Bayonetta may reflect the stagnation of many Japanese games. He appeared to put to much emphasis on "sexiness," to the point I thought he was a 13 year old kid. Tits and ass can't keep a game afloat anymore like it's the nineties. I'm not saying the combat or anything else won't be good, I just think his obsession with sex might distract the quality of the game. That kind of mind-set reflects the lack of adaptation and innovation many Japanese games appear to suffer from.
Of course, this is just my opinion.

[quote name='GuardianE']lol, I knew I would get flak for this one. Can you come up with a better example? At least it was fun, which is more than I can say for any other Western fighters out there. I would contend it is the best Western fighter out there.[/QUOTE]

There isn't one. Fighting games is a Japan-only thing.

[quote name='Chacrana']Bioware can definitely put together a damn good story, though I think where they falter is in the presentation of that story. It's usually just dialog in these games, whereas in a JRPG, it's a cinematic that has music designed to set the mood, dramatic camera angles, etc. And that sorta thing goes a long ways, and sometimes saves a hackneyed, banal plot.[/QUOTE]

Now see, I think the cinematics get boring and often cheesy. Part of the reason I lost interest in JRPGs.

What Bioware does best is doing it through dialog and giving you dialog options to help shape the story. That type of interaction is what makes me love their games. I don't have the attention span for sitting through passive cinematics these days. I'd rather just watch a move with a much better plot than any JRPG rather than playing a game with a lot of passive cutscenes.

Besides, a dressed up hackneyed, banal plot is still a hackneyed, banal plot at the end of the day.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Uh what's so bad about Europe?[/QUOTE]

It's probably because I play a lot of PC games, but when you see a developer from Europe developed a game, you can be guaranteed a buggy product that will get several patches, and still be unplayable. And Rare is based on Europe.

There's a few exceptions, but my God has Europe got a problem with buggy games or me-too clones.

Limbo of the Lost, anyone?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Now see, I think the cinematics get boring and often cheesy. Part of the reason I lost interest in JRPGs.

What Bioware does best is doing it through dialog and giving you dialog options to help shape the story. That type of interaction is what makes me love their games. I don't have the attention span for sitting through passive cinematics these days. I'd rather just watch a move with a much better plot than any JRPG rather than playing a game with a lot of passive cutscenes.

Besides, a dressed up hackneyed, banal plot is still a hackneyed, banal plot at the end of the day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of shitty plots, too. I'm just sayin' that you can sometimes make a game bearable through good cinematics. RPGs with good movies are hard to find nowadays, but they do still exist. I also like the interactivity in CRPG's storylines, but I just wish the presentation was up to snuff. JRPG devs have a lot of thinking to do, for the most part.

[quote name='deszaras']I thought it was a very interesting EGM and got me thinking about how I feel regarding Japanese games. Outside of Nintendo games, I can think of very few Japanese games I care about. I love Western RPGs but deplore JRPGs. I think the interview of the guy making Bayonetta may reflect the stagnation of many Japanese games. He appeared to put to much emphasis on "sexiness," to the point I thought he was a 13 year old kid. Tits and ass can't keep a game afloat anymore like it's the nineties. I'm not saying the combat or anything else won't be good, I just think his obsession with sex might distract the quality of the game. That kind of mind-set reflects the lack of adaptation and innovation many Japanese games appear to suffer from.
Of course, this is just my opinion.[/quote]

Hm, I don't know about that. Bayonetta is clearly being created with a representation of style and "flashy, pretty things" in mind, so that's the theme of that particular game, but I don't know if that's a true representation of the majority.

Oh and Sega has really been sucking ass lately, so I'm not so sure I trust this one.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah I'm just sayin' that you can sometimes make a game bearable through good cinematics. RPGs with good movies are hard to find nowadays, but they do still exist. I also like the interactivity in CRPG's storylines, but I just wish the presentation was up to snuff. JRPG devs have a lot of thinking to do, for the most part.[/QUOTE]

I see that, it just doesn't work for me. For me what makes up for a weak plot is having more interactivity in the game. A dialog/cutscene heavy game is much more tolerable for me if it has dialog options that affect gameplay.

[quote name='deszaras']I thought it was a very interesting EGM and got me thinking about how I feel regarding Japanese games. Outside of Nintendo games, I can think of very few Japanese games I care about. I love Western RPGs but deplore JRPGs. I think the interview of the guy making Bayonetta may reflect the stagnation of many Japanese games. He appeared to put to much emphasis on "sexiness," to the point I thought he was a 13 year old kid. Tits and ass can't keep a game afloat anymore like it's the nineties. I'm not saying the combat or anything else won't be good, I just think his obsession with sex might distract the quality of the game. That kind of mind-set reflects the lack of adaptation and innovation many Japanese games appear to suffer from.
Of course, this is just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, bayonetta just reinforced why I can't stand most Japanese games these days. Action game with a chick with guns in both hands and on her feet, who's outfit isnt' an outfit but magic hair that she can use in attacks. And wait for it, some of these attacks leave her near nude! *yawn*

That kind of absurd shit just completely kills any interest I have in games. I turn 30 this year, that type of stuff long since stopped interesting me. It's like japanese developers haven't realized that gamers are just (or mostly) teenage nerds into comic books, anime etc. anymore. Again, as Davison said, they are indeed stuck in 1998. The more I think about it the more I agree with his comment.

Even Soul Calibur IV, which I'm liking a lot is annoying with all the DOA style big, bouncing tits everywhere.

I think the only western developed console game I've ever played (Portable or otherwise) is Rebelstar Tactical Command. I didnt own any until recently because of Goozex, but I havent actually played them :p

Japanese gaming is doing fine abroad. Most of the what sold well in the U.S. has always been western:

Million sellers going way back:
http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-USPlatinum.shtml

Stuck in 1998 is fantastic. They've even shifted almost exclusively to DS to get that old timey feel of power/space restrictions.

Next-Gen has done a good job of fooling everyone into only THINKING that they arent playing the same old thing, because now you can play them with other people, and its also super shiny/brown.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
Next-Gen has done a good job of fooling everyone into only THINKING that they arent playing the same old thing, because now you can play them with other people, and its also super shiny/brown.[/QUOTE]

See I disagree with that, but I'm not going to argue with you since you refuse to go next gen (and haven't touched but 1 western game) there's little point as you have no perspective on the topic at hand.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, that quote backfired, since 1998 is like... the absolute best place to be. So many fuckin' good games.[/QUOTE]

It was a great year, but I'm sick of those games/types of games. 2007 was just as good for me....though I know you totally disagree. Zelda: OOT was great. Loved it. I also enjoyed Twilight Princess a lot, but couldn't fully enjoy it as it was pretty much the same fucking game.

I'm not a person that replays games, I beat them and move on. I get sick of things quickly. So staying in 1998 is a very bad thing for me.

Another element of Western vs. Japanese approach is the interactivity within a game.

dmaul1111 mentioned that having more interactivity can supplement a crappy plot. It seems to me that in a wide open game, you lose some directive... some motivation for why you're doing what you're doing. This is why I don't like Final Fantasy XII as much as Final Fantasy VII or VIII. Yes, the combat's been improved, the gameplay's been improved, and the graphics are sharper, but it lost something in that translation. There's less of a connection to the characters. It ends up feeling like an MMORPG that's not MMO.

In a game like GTA4, there is complete freedom and it still manages to have a cohesive and engaging plot. An applaudible accomplishment. I find it few and far between, though. My friends get on my case, but I can't stand Oblivion. I really just feel like there's nothing motivating my character to close these gates and save this land.

Japanese developers tend to make plotlines more structured (re:linear), as they don't want personal freedom to allow you to miss something cool and epic happening. And this is the case even with multiple endings, as your choices dictate story progression but it doesn't really feel like you're making the plot. On the other hand, Western developers sometimes give so much freedom that I don't give a crap.

I think there's a fine line. And quite frankly? The reason there's two different approaches to these games is because there's two different markets. It just so happens that most Western gamers don't care about following a particular plotline and would rather be allowed to do whatever they want to do. Asian gamers tend to want motivation for advancing the story and plot structure.

[quote name='Chacrana']It's probably because I play a lot of PC games, but when you see a developer from Europe developed a game, you can be guaranteed a buggy product that will get several patches, and still be unplayable. And Rare is based on Europe.

There's a few exceptions, but my God has Europe got a problem with buggy games or me-too clones.

Limbo of the Lost, anyone?[/quote]

Oh, well I'm primarily a console gamer, so I don't really see that. I love me some European games. Beyond Good and Evil, Rayman 2, Lost Winds, and others are great fun.

I don't like how some people exclusively try to get one type of game. Eastern or Western.

I was just playing Shadow of the Colossus, Japanese game, but it does a lot of things like a Western game. Very huge world to explore with a camera that's not fixed.

Point being, just play the game, where it's from won't change a thing once you're having fun. I may mostly play Japanese games, but I don't go out of my way to make sure it's Japanese. For me it's more like, "oh so that was a Japanese game...cool", if it's not already painfully obvious by an anime styled cover art.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Now see, I think the cinematics get boring and often cheesy. Part of the reason I lost interest in JRPGs.

Besides, a dressed up hackneyed, banal plot is still a hackneyed, banal plot at the end of the day.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, I was about ready to swear off rpgs for good a few years ago. It wasn't until I started playing Bioware's stuff that I had a complete 180 on my feelings about them, having a choice about how the story goes just added so much to the experience, I ate up the dialogue and had fun exploring the different branches.

Capcom is still making good games. Lost Planet, Dead Rising, and Devil May Cry 4 were all excellent games. Konami is also did an excellent job with Metal Gear. Don't forget about SEGA and Virtua Fighter 5.

Other than that, I have to agree that the West has caught up. Gears of War, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and KOTOR are some of the best games of the decade.

Another thing that wasn't really mentioned in the article was how Japanese tastes are changing. Handhelds dominate over there so the need for pick up and play or "casual" games have increased. On the other hand, Americans have gravitated to the more hardcore FPS. You can ask why the Japanese don't make FPS and it's an easy answer. The Japanese are more prone to motion sickness while playing FPS. Why make games that won't be bought in the homeland? That's like GM making nothing but little electric cars.

One other thing to say is that gamers are pussies these days. People start playing Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry and they ask for an easy mode. I just beat DMC4 last night and it was one of the most satisfying feeling in the world. Those kind of hardcore experiences aren't available from the West. Gears on Insane is close.

EDIT -- I realized I contradicted myself. I said that Americans like the more hardcore FPS while Japanese make the more hardcore action game. Both statements are true. Thing is, I see alot of guys that play FPS only on multiplayer and won't even touch the single player modes. I'm one of those people. On the other hand, I like to play some games because of the difficulty. NG and DMC fit into that mold. I know it's gonna be tough before hand.

[quote name='depascal22']One other thing to say is that gamers are pussies these days. People start playing Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry and they ask for an easy mode. I just beat DMC4 last night and it was one of the most satisfying feeling in the world. Those kind of hardcore experiences aren't available from the West. Gears on Insane is close.[/quote]

God of War 2 Titan Mode. :p

But yeah, I totally see that. I tend to be a sort of masochistic player and I can't turn down a challenge ever.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Oh, well I'm primarily a console gamer, so I don't really see that. I love me some European games. Beyond Good and Evil, Rayman 2, Lost Winds, and others are great fun.

I don't like how some people exclusively try to get one type of game. Eastern or Western.

I was just playing Shadow of the Colossus, Japanese game, but it does a lot of things like a Western game. Very huge world to explore with a camera that's not fixed.

Point being, just play the game, where it's from won't change a thing once you're having fun. I may mostly play Japanese games, but I don't go out of my way to make sure it's Japanese. For me it's more like, "oh so that was a Japanese game...cool", if it's not already painfully obvious by an anime styled cover art.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I think the only person who actively avoids Western games is Sarang, but in most people's cases, I think it's less of an issue of disliking Western games out of principle than disliking the trappings you'll usually find in those games.

[quote name='depascal22']
One other thing to say is that gamers are pussies these days. People start playing Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry and they ask for an easy mode. I just beat DMC4 last night and it was one of the most satisfying feeling in the world. Those kind of hardcore experiences aren't available from the West. Gears on Insane is close.[/QUOTE]

There's something about the speed and absolute precision you need with those games on the difficult settings that makes higher difficulties so fun. Like, you just keep using some scrub tactic and the game's like "fuck YOU."

[quote name='GuardianE']I think the camera argument is a valid one, but at the same time the only action game that has trumped the cameras of DMC or Ninja Gaiden (first one, not the god awful camera for the second one) is God of War.
[/QUOTE]

Though only one example, it does kind of prove their point since GoW is a western developed game.

[quote name='GuardianE']
I think there's a fine line. [/QUOTE]

It's definitely a fine line. GTAIV and the Bioware games do it perfectly IMO. Both give you a lot of freedom, but also have engaging plots. That's what I want. I have limited time for gaming so I have the luxury of sticking to these cream of the crop games that get everything right for me.

I don't know about the culture difference. I think it's more JRPG developers being stuck in their ways. JRPGs still sell fairly well in the west, at least the big ones.

[quote name='leveskikesko']
Point being, just play the game, where it's from won't change a thing once you're having fun. I may mostly play Japanese games, but I don't go out of my way to make sure it's Japanese. [/QUOTE]

That's a bit of a strawman there. I don't think anyone is saying they actively seek out games from certain countries and avoid them from others (other than Chac with Europe).

I seek out the best games in the genre's I like to play. It just happens that nowadays this produces very few Japanese games on my queue of games I'm interested in.

[quote name='depascal22']
Another thing that wasn't really mentioned in the article was how Japanese tastes are changing. Handhelds dominate over there so the need for pick up and play or "casual" games have increased.
[/quote]

It actually did touch on that briefly.

One other thing to say is that gamers are pussies these days. People start playing Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry and they ask for an easy mode. I just beat DMC4 last night and it was one of the most satisfying feeling in the world. Those kind of hardcore experiences aren't available from the West. Gears on Insane is close.

Hey now, I've always been a pussy and hated hard games! :D I play games to relax, not get pissed off, frustrated, earn a sense of accomplishment etc.

That said, my buddy and I have been making a run at Gears on Insane. We're just past the Corpser in Act 3. Will put some more time into it this weekend probably.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's a bit of a strawman there. I don't think anyone is saying they actively seek out games from certain countries and avoid them from others (other than Chac with Europe).
[/quote]

Yes, Japanese games and Western games tend to be very different. It's no secret. They're approached differently, stylistically they're different, and the focus tends to be on different things. It just ends up that if you're a die-hard fan of a particular genre, you're going to end up preferring either Western or Japanese simply because of the lay of the land.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
That's a bit of a strawman there. I don't think anyone is saying they actively seek out games from certain countries and avoid them from others (other than Chac with Europe).

I seek out the best games in the genre's I like to play. It just happens that nowadays this produces very few Japanese games on my queue of games I'm interested in.[/quote]

Yeah, I kind of agree. Most people aren't like that, but I do know a few people that will pass up a game the instant they hear it's from Konami...or Bioware. Not because they really have tried out those games, but simply because they're japanese or western.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Yeah, I kind of agree. Most people aren't like that, but I do know a few people that will pass up a game the instant they hear it's from Konami...or Bioware.[/QUOTE]

That's still not country bias though. Especially with bioware, if you don't like one of their games you're probably not going to like any of them as more open RPGs with dialog trees etc. probably aren't your thing.

Konami is tougher since they do a wider variety of games.

Oops, missed your edit. In any case my point was just pertaining to people in the thread thus far not in general.

Fortunately, neither "style" of development is going anywhere. They're both doing fine and theres plenty of market for them to coexist together in. For now anyway.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Fortunately, neither "style" of development is going anywhere. They're both doing fine and theres plenty of market for them to coexist together in. For now anyway.[/QUOTE]

The real worry would be for the number of Japanese "hardcore" games to decline as major Japanese developers focus more and more on casual games--see the bit from the square-enix publisher I referred to in my original post.

But you're right, neither is going away and that's a good thing. Variety is the spice of life.

Western developers have been doing a lot better this time around. Don't get me wrong, I still love games that come out from japan but my focus seems to have shifted to western games. As someone who has never liked RPGs (JRPG or WRPG) I never had too much interest in games from japan in the first place, mainly fighters but not much else.

It might be less about a decline in Japanese gaming and the rise in Western gaming. The increased competition only means good things for all of us gamers.

I am however, concerned that the current variety is going to diminish as development costs continue to go up cycle after cycle. In the future all of the non-HUGE budget games might be digital distribution only, which would pretty much signal my exit from home console gaming.

I'm nearly exclusively portable already anyway. Surely that last bastion will stand a lot longer.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
I'm nearly exclusively portable already anyway. Surely that last bastion will stand a lot longer.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on it. With portable games being smaller in memory size, and the hardware having WiFi built in, I wouldn't be surprised if portables were where we first see a shift to digital distribution.

Decreased no doubt. I use to be almost exclusively into Japanese games, but not as much anymore. The only thing I truly like Japan for now is fighters and JRPGs.

I think consoles will see digital distribution first especially now that the 360 has 60GB and the PS3 has 40 or 80GB. XBLA and PSN are good starters for that to happen.

I only have 3 console games developed by western developers, and I don't expect to see that changed very much. Doesn't matter how boring and generic RPGs are, so long as there's a girl to fap to in there, I'll play it. :/

bread's done
Back