1/12-1/18 GS/EB weekly ad: $100 trade-in credit for PS2, $10 off used Xbox hardware

If I didn't already have a PS3 I got from using a stockpile of credit, I'd have personally done the trade-in deal in a heartbeat.

If I hadn't just spent an arm and a leg on a couple suits(damn having to dress professionally), I would have pulled the trigger on the PS2 trade in. Why not? I could still play my PS2 games on the PS3, and I get the option to grab some awesome games over the next couple of years. Wife would freak out, but eh, whatever.

/edit

I just noticed that it has to be an additional Sony Branded Controller, so you trade in 2 controllers, the System and Memory Card. Eh... doesn't seem that great.

AND note that it says "A 2nd Sony brand PS2 controller" which reads to me like you have to fork up 2 controllers. Not sure what they were giving for Ps2's before (probably crap) but this doesn't sound like too good a deal (especially since I don't even have a 2nd sony brand PS2 controller ;)).

Is it just me or is Guild Wars Nightfall CE for $30 also a great deal? I was interesed Guild Wars before the first one came out but just never picked up any versions of it. I'm a sucker for Collector's Editions too.

Okay got it to work, net is lagging I guess.

The PS2 trade in deal is great, but just a word of warning...

Most PS2 games look very bad on the PS3 right now. So if you plan on just playing your games on the new system, know that you'll need to wait until there is an update to get most of them to look right. Though the games that have progress mode do look better, but not all of them have it.

I have no idea what the trade in value for that PS2 hardware is, you can guess by seeing what they sell it for. I would imagine that it probably is around $70 normally. So they are giving you a better deal. Also, it looks like they want to move Xbox's and take in PS2's.

[quote name='crewj']i've got all the items necessary for the deal.

cheapy, is the ps3 worth it at this point? [/QUOTE]

Maybe in time, but right now no. You're better off with a 360, Wii, or even both. Hell, I'd advise against getting any of them and just holding onto your PS2, which is still the best system out there atm.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Maybe in time, but right now no. You're better off with a 360, Wii, or even both. Hell, I'd advise against getting any of them and just holding onto your PS2, which is still the best system out there atm.[/quote]

hey thanks! it's just good to have someone validate one's questioning.

i've got a wii and tons of ds games to hold me back.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Maybe in time, but right now no. You're better off with a 360, Wii, or even both. Hell, I'd advise against getting any of them and just holding onto your PS2, which is still the best system out there atm.[/QUOTE]

Word. I'm still attacking the Greatest Hits lineup on the PS2 and a whole bunch of RPGs that will keep me happy until a price break, or until Halo 3. I haven't entered the "next generation" of gaming yet, and frankly, don't feel like I've missed much yet.

When Halo 3 drops, then I'll buy a 360.
When Metal Gear Solid 4 drops, then I'll consider buying a PS3.
Zelda's already out for the Wii and the system's reasonably priced, so that's the most justified system to have at the moment in my opinion.

But I'm still loving my PS2.

If yu sell a ps2 newer or older moedel with 2 sony brand controllers and a memory card you will get over $100 on ebay. Gamestop is a ripoff when it come to trade in credit not to mention cash......... just My 2 pennies
Laterz

Very tempting, considering I don't play my PS2 (fat one) anymore. Main reason is because games looked like crap via component on my HDTV. How much worse could the PS3 make the ps2 games look on an HDTV?

Weak sauce unless you have a barely working PS2.

Until Sony solves the PS3 scaling issues, you're probably better off keeping the PS2. PS1 and PS2 games look better on the old system.

Related EB/GS Edit:

I noticed a couple of pricedrops on used 360 games. Not all that great in light of last week's 25% coupon, but decent with EDGE.

King Kong -- $17.99 [Snore!]
Cabela's Alaskan Adventure -- $24.99
Battlefield 2 -- $24.99
Fight Night Round 3 -- $24.99
LoTR:BfME2 -- $24.99

[quote name='jmiller80']Weak sauce unless you have a barely working PS2.

Until Sony solves the PS3 scaling issues, you're probably better off keeping the PS2. PS1 and PS2 games look better on the old system.

Related EB/GS Edit:

I noticed a couple of pricedrops on used 360 games. Not all that great in light of last week's 25% coupon, but decent with EDGE.

King Kong -- $17.99 [Snore!]
Cabela's Alaskan Adventure -- $24.99
Battlefield 2 -- $24.99
Fight Night Round 3 -- $24.99
LoTR:BfME2 -- $24.99[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the pricing issue. :)

[quote name='jmiller80']I noticed a couple of pricedrops on used 360 games. Not all that great in light of last week's 25% coupon, but decent with EDGE.[/QUOTE]
The 25U360 coupon is still working online for now. 25% off used 360 games.

[quote name='Damian']The 25U360 coupon is still working online for now. 25% off used 360 games.[/QUOTE]

Good catch. I don't buy online from EB/GS -- a couple stores near me have a good stock of near mint used games. Online is crapshoot on condition, original box, and manual.

[quote name='jmiller80']Good catch. I don't buy online from EB/GS -- a couple stores near me have a good stock of near mint used games. Online is crapshoot on condition, original box, and manual.[/quote]

But unfortunately, if you want the 25% off, online is the only way apparently, since the in-store is expired.

For the $100 trade in credit for PS2, does it matter which version they accept? I have a really OLD PS2. It's the version we got at launch, before the slim version came out. It's "techinically" in working order, although it has that crappy disk read error once in a while. Do they really check? If they still accept it, I finally have a reason to get rid of it :).

How much do a memory card and controller cost?

And can this be combined with the $20 extra for trading in a system coupon?

And do you get an extra 10% on hardware with an Edge card?

If so, it would get me $120 to $132 off a PS3 (!) minus the cost of a second controller and memory card...so probably still close to $100.

Which would make a PS3 $400, and then I've got close to $200 credit...wow $200 for a PS3. That's not shabby.

I wonder if they let you combine those three deals though? :D

Note the line "Trade-ins subject to manager approval." This may be the first YMMV coupon I have ever seen. If the manager doesn't want your PS2 -- slim, fat, or even brand new -- then I guess you're SOL.

Wolfpup: "Cannot be combined with any other offer." EDGE almost always works, but if the clerk is careful, you may not be able to combine anything with this coupon.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How much do a memory card and controller cost?

And can this be combined with the $20 extra for trading in a system coupon?

And do you get an extra 10% on hardware with an Edge card?

If so, it would get me $120 to $132 off a PS3 (!) minus the cost of a second controller and memory card...so probably still close to $100.

Which would make a PS3 $400, and then I've got close to $200 credit...wow $200 for a PS3. That's not shabby.

I wonder if they let you combine those three deals though? :D[/QUOTE]

PS3 has a hard drive.
What would you need a memory card for?

And all of the prices can found on the ebgames website.

I don't really play my PS2, with the exception of Guitar Hero. That hundred bucks off really makes this so tempting for some reason. Plus all the games I'd fork over as well.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Maybe in time, but right now no. You're better off with a 360, Wii, or even both. Hell, I'd advise against getting any of them and just holding onto your PS2, which is still the best system out there atm.[/QUOTE]

you know what? you've got a pretty damn good point. i'm looking forward to rogue galaxy, ar tonelico, god of war 2, and i haven't gotten ff12 yet.

also the new romance and believe it or not red star........all are PS2 exclusives

[quote name='pnaigelle']For the $100 trade in credit for PS2, does it matter which version they accept? I have a really OLD PS2. It's the version we got at launch, before the slim version came out. It's "techinically" in working order, although it has that crappy disk read error once in a while. Do they really check? If they still accept it, I finally have a reason to get rid of it :).[/quote]

It shouldn't matter, the coupon doesn't say which version you need. They don't always cehck if they systems are working but you might end up being slapped with a $20 refurbishing fee if they do, or if they see the seal has been broken for some reason.

Man, you almost had me freak out with that PS2 deal. What can I get for it with my crappy launch PS2 and one controller not towards the purchase of something else?
CanI somehow finagle the credit and then NOT buy a PS3?

[quote name='jkam']Does anyone know how much a used XBOX costs?[/QUOTE]
$109 for a "Gamestop refurbished" one, which is all they ever seem to have.

I might just have to bite on this one. I would have to buy a 2nd sony controller, but a used one with edge card will cost me 18, so that's down to 88 bucks off. Another 10 for the ps2 controller adapter so I can use my guitar is 78. I've got 200 buck credit, and I think i'd get the 20 gig. You can always upgrade the ps3 hd no matter which version you get, and as for the options on the 60gig, wireless can be spotty sometimes (and who really cares about memory slots/chrome finish). But 278 off of 500 I'm down to $222. Comments anyone?

[quote name='Zmanmurf']I might just have to bite on this one. I would have to buy a 2nd sony controller, but a used one with edge card will cost me 18, so that's down to 88 bucks off. Another 10 for the ps2 controller adapter so I can use my guitar is 78. I've got 200 buck credit, and I think i'd get the 20 gig. You can always upgrade the ps3 hd no matter which version you get, and as for the options on the 60gig, wireless can be spotty sometimes (and who really cares about memory slots/chrome finish). But 278 off of 500 I'm down to $222. Comments anyone?[/quote]

Hmm wait, which adapter is it? Because if it isn't the Nyko, I'm not sure it will actually won't let you play the guitar on the PS3.

[quote name='Zmanmurf']I might just have to bite on this one. I would have to buy a 2nd sony controller, but a used one with edge card will cost me 18, so that's down to 88 bucks off. Another 10 for the ps2 controller adapter so I can use my guitar is 78. I've got 200 buck credit, and I think i'd get the 20 gig. You can always upgrade the ps3 hd no matter which version you get, and as for the options on the 60gig, wireless can be spotty sometimes (and who really cares about memory slots/chrome finish). But 278 off of 500 I'm down to $222. Comments anyone?[/QUOTE]

200 bucks for a ps3 sounds hella tempting, especially when you know it will be worth it EVENTUALLY, hopefully by end of this year.

[quote name='avatar94']Is it just me or is Guild Wars Nightfall CE for $30 also a great deal? I was interesed Guild Wars before the first one came out but just never picked up any versions of it. I'm a sucker for Collector's Editions too.[/quote]

GW:NF CE is a good deal for $30. I liked it more than the previous two. Of course, if you plan on pvp'ing you'd have to get factions. There's pvp in NF but not as a great scale compared to factions.

[quote name='Zmanmurf']But 278 off of 500 I'm down to $222. Comments anyone?[/quote]

If I didn't already buy my ps3 and give my slim ps2 to my sister, I would've jumped on this.

[quote name='NamPaehc']It shouldn't matter, the coupon doesn't say which version you need. They don't always cehck if they systems are working but you might end up being slapped with a $20 refurbishing fee if they do, or if they see the seal has been broken for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Really? The seal is actually broken. I guess they won't take it then. :(
Had to have it repaired by someone in order to fix the "disc error" problem a long time ago. Remember how the early consoles had those faulty optical discs?? :p

[quote name='pnaigelle']Really? The seal is actually broken. I guess they won't take it then. :(
Had to have it repaired by someone in order to fix the "disc error" problem a long time ago. Remember how the early consoles had those faulty optical discs?? :p[/quote]

No they might take it, but they will take off $20. My friend traded his in and he had to have it repaired, but they saw the seal and added that fee on there but he still got the credit.

And Zmanmurf, I don't know the details on that adapter but I haven't heard of anyone getting the guitar to work with the PS3 yet. The Nyko one I mentioned was just announced at CES so I doubt it is released yet.

When the hell are they coming out with the Trade in 3 games get an extra $10? I've been waiting like 5 months.

[quote name='Errockk']When the hell are they coming out with the Trade in 3 games get an extra $10? I've been waiting like 5 months.[/quote]
I think the last one was mid-October, you missed it I presume.

[quote name='NamPaehc']No they might take it, but they will take off $20. My friend traded his in and he had to have it repaired, but they saw the seal and added that fee on there but he still got the credit.

And Zmanmurf, I don't know the details on that adapter but I haven't heard of anyone getting the guitar to work with the PS3 yet. The Nyko one I mentioned was just announced at CES so I doubt it is released yet.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I'm sure once I get Resistance I'll be able to wait for a little without the guitar hero.

[quote name='Errockk']When the hell are they coming out with the Trade in 3 games get an extra $10? I've been waiting like 5 months.[/quote]
This is the deal I'm waiting for too. I have a bunch of games that I'm ready to trade-in, that I was still playing through during the last deal like this in October.

bread's done
Back